Imperial Guard -1500 (best of LeeGerrum discussions) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Imperial Guard -1500 (best of LeeGerrum discussions)

i've been looking at all the discussions about LeeGerum and his lascanon army and think it is not good enough against the opponents he could be facing in the GT. Ive designed this one to be able to hopefully take on most armies and have some staying power in the differnet scenarios but im not sure it will so could i hav some feedback-thx.

Doctrines

Close Order Drill
    Iron Disciline
    Sharpshooter
    Veterans

JO w/honirifica imperialis, power weapon, boltpistol, iron discipline
    vet w/standard
    81pts

Heavy Bolter team, sharpshooter
    90pts

6 Veterans, plasma gun, lascannon
    83pts

83pts

83pts

JO w/iron discipline
    45pts

Squad 1, Lascannon
    85pts

Squad 2, Lascannon
    85pts

Squad 3, Lascannon
    85pts

JO w/iron discipline

Squad 1, missile launcher, plasma gun
    85pts

Squad 2, missile launcher, plasma gun
    85pts

Squad 3, missile launcher, plasma gun
    85pts

Hellhound
    115pts

Sentinel, lascannon
    55pts

Leamon Russ Battle Tank, heavy bolter
    145pts

Leamon Russ Demolisher, 3 heavy bolters
    165pts

Infantry=109

Walkers=1

Tanks=3

Points=1500

The sentinel is in there because i hav 55 pts left over and wanted some mobile support for capturing table quarters and objectives.

I've tried to follow the advice thats been flying around but plx criticise-thx.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x2)

This isn't a bad list at all.

You've got around 30% in anti-infantry (I class the tanks in here because of the rules of ordnance vs. vehicles and because they've got heavy bolters).

40% is primarily anti-armor (the vets, the lascannon line squads, the sentinel).

The remaining 30% is in flex squads and leadership. All in all, not a bad distribution.

All your units except the Hellhound, HQ, and Heavy Bolter squad are capable of trashing any vehicle in the game. All your units except the Hellhound, HQ, and Heavy Bolter have at least one AP3 threat.

Also, none of the units jump out as a big threat, which is good. It means the opponent doesn't have an automatic gameplan.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thx-but i was wondering if i should kick the sentinel and instead take something else which could hold objectives, or is a sentinel good enough? if i were to take something else though, i would hav to get rid of some other unit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the vets are problematic

in a unit of 6 you should have at least 2 plasma. Most guard units you spend the points on so that they can take the special and heavy weapons, an 83 point squad deserves more special

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    144 (x3)

I'd say they could be improved, but I wouldn't jump to calling them "problematic." If I recall one of the points behind Lee's doctrine (on an unrelated note why do we keep giving him credit for this idea when his version of it isn't utilized by anyone?) is not to "waste" special weapons fire by firing them at vehicles. 3 plasma guns aren't particularly helpful when shootingn at a vehicle more than 24" away or if the vehicle has armor 14. I'd consider boosting at least one squad to having 3 plasma guns, though, if not all.
    "I would listen to Sokhar. The man's a genius. Listen."
    ~Lord Yossanrion
    "Thanks, Sokhar. There was some legitimately good advice in between the low-grade profanity, blaspheming and veiled insults."
    ~Quick
    "Well thought, intelligently put, with a hint of sarcastic bastard!"
    ~Diggum's Hammer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

your main advantage in this list is in your numbers.
    you'll kill most tanks pretty quickly, then you can move in fast with the troops which were originally firing the lascannons, making some chaos as the imperials do something unexpected. If I were you I would throw in a group of rough riders to lead this charge. it doesn't have to be a big one, just something to win the combat and use your numbers advantage.

I would still suggest more plasma in the vets, because the lascannon will do most of its work while the enemy is 20-48 inches away, leaving plenty of time for the plasma to work.

Only problem with my suggested revisions is that I have no idea where you should cut the points (except maybe the HB squad, but even that I don't know), which, by the way, is a good thing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry to point out but your Vet squads should be 88pts as you HAVE to have a Vet Sgt at the Increased cost.
    As mentioned I would try and Introduce a small squad of roughriders as youre gonna have some trouble as soon as anything hits your lines these or conscripts can help no end, you could drop the sharpshooters along with the BP and PW for the officer you should keep him out of the battle at all times, you could then squeeze In the RR?
    Bar that I nice balanced list good for all-comers
    FLAME ON!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK, what about dropping the sentinel, sharpshooter and bolt pistol on the HSO to give me 66pts and instead take 6 roughriders with hunting lances. This will give me a fast unit for capturing objectives etc. and also have a good capability of counter-charge. Im keeping the HSO with a power weapon because he is the best model in an army and has saved ne a few times in a scrape.

Im not sure how im going to get thos 18pts for the veterans though, i could cut them down to 2 5man squads and 1 6man suad.

The lack of plasma in my veterans squad is because firstly they are going to shoot at tanks and then after that they probaly would hav already taken some casualties and so if there were 3 plasmas then some would hav died before firing. I could boost the squad to 10man but i just cant see where to get the points from.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yay roughriders!
    A six man squad should do just find just remember to keep them waayy out of sight untill there needed In combat I would'nt put them on an objective though unless It was like the last turn as a six man squad can easilly be knocked down to under half strength.
    As for your vet squads I'd stick them just with the lascannons I don't like multitasking with guard just stick them at the back popping heavy armour tanks you probably have enough ap2 weaponry as It Is.
    FLAME ON!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thx - should i move the vets plasms to the 2 platoon commands? if i did i could deepstrike one of them and deal out a load of plasma death.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast