Welcome to Librarium Online!
Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!
Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!
heya guys i'm starting with a ravenguard army and here's my first try:
Captain w/ pair of powerclaws, jump pack, terminator honours,
iron halo, frag grenades, melta bombs, furious charge
Dreadnought w/ heavy flamer, drop pod
2 x 8 Scouts w/ 7 x bolters, 1 x missile launcher each squad
6 Scouts w/ 5 x sniper rifles, 1 missile launcher
10 Assault Marines w/ 2 x plasma pistol, vet. sergeant with
power fist, all furious charge
LST w/ heavy bolter, assault cannon
as you may see i didn't take a priest as hq. this is because:
1) IMO a commander with a pair of powerclaws fits better with ravenguard fluff,
2) i only have kayvaan shrike as hq miniature... BUT HE OWNS! (i mean the look^^)
then there's the problem that i'm using 15pts. too much...
but i think you'll tear my list apart anyway :rolleyes:
i hope you guys can help me creating an army wich makes fun to play and still doesn't suck^^
Last edited by ROCKYrocks; November 13th, 2005 at 12:16.
Dreadnought with heavy flamer, in a drop pod... big expensive SLOW unit with a short range weapon and no other kind of heavy support. Its a sitting duck, yes its a badass warrior mofo, but 6" is still 6" and Dreads get shot at.... frequently, if you are die hard on that dread I would suggest at least putting smoke launchers to buy yourself a turn of breathing room.
I like the scouts, allthough scouts really arent built to last for any length of time and it looks like you have a few geared in a role better served by just 1 squad of marines...
Dont take scouts with bolters, for 2 more points you can get a true marine, who will serve you far better, and more relabily then a scout could ever hope to do. Try 6 man in total, 1 with plasma gun, 1 with lascannon. That other scout squad is ok, but, dont expect the snipers to kill much, though the infilrated ML is always nice. The two tactical squads would be only be 2 more points in total to this list. To solve your points problem take a chaplain, with the same wargear, he would cost 21 points less, and be bettter in assault. Note you cannot give a commander furious charge, unless you have a special rules, other then the trait sytem of codex space marines, it is impossible to give none command squad charactors, furious charge. With the extra 5 points, give the dreadnought extra armour, extra armour should go on all vehicels, exculding drop pods and skimmers.
well first thx for the replies^^
1) i don't want to change my hq because i think it's fluffy and i like the miniature (shrike)
btw i don't understand how the chaplain can be 21 points cheaper with same wargear...
2) i should take 2 squads of 6 marines with plasma gun and lascannon each? (as firebase)
instead of the 2 bolter scout squads?
3) the dread also has an assault cannon of course^^ or should i rather change to another LST with HB + AC and get some sparepoints?
4) since i'm using the ravenguard traits i thought that by giving furious charge to an assault marine squad i could also give it to the hq wich will join that squad... doesn't work?
thx for your help!
1) Whoops its only 6 points cheaper, you really dont need those lighten claws anyway, but a chaplain gives you a free 4+ inv, so you dont need the iron halo. Simply convert the master to a chaplain, with a relic, perhaps the iron halo that he already has to be wearing, would serve as a good rosarious. And once again you cant give your charactor furious charge.
2) thats correct.
3)The dreadnought is fine, but you might think about getting rid of the heavy flamer, to save on points, make sure you pick up extra armour, OR ditch one snipre, OR take the free powerweapon you get from a chappy and a bolt pistol, instead of the expesive lightening claws.
4) Incorrect, you must actually use the specail charactor which has special rules with a trained squad. A normal charactor, and normal assault squad, no matter the traits can not have furious charge added to the charactor, I know i have one, it sucks i agree, but fear not, for i have riddled many an enemy without the benit to my chaplain.
Last edited by ForgedInTheFurnaceOfWar; November 14th, 2005 at 07:28.
Well what your list needs is anti tank power so i say that the lascan/plasma squads are a reasonable option, or failing that, at least have a couple of 5-man squads with a single lascannon.
Maybe u should drop a marine or two from the assault squad, ten is overkill in 1k games, esp when ur master tags along.
Dreadnought should not have the pod, ur list is already lacking a bit on fire power and if he DS then who knows when he'll arrive. I suggest you give him a missile launcher to go with the AC and act as horde control. Alternatively fit ur troops to go horde control while u kit the dred as tank hunter (venerable, Tank HUnter, TLLC+ML) tho thats way more expensive.