Pure Grey Knights Army [1750 pts] - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Shrubs for the Blood God Undead Bonzi's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    207 (x5)

Pure Grey Knights Army [1750 pts]

Just looking for some general suggestions or comments on what I've got. This is an army I've had in the works and fiddled with for quite some time now and I finnally feel it's coming close to what I want. Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated.

HQ (430pts)

-Grand Master w/Master-Crafted Wepon, teleport homer
    5 Grey Knight Terminator retinue, one with Holocaust

Elites (315 pts)

-Eversor Assasin

-Inquisitor w/Psycannon, Scourging
    3 Gun Servitors w/ 2 Multi-Meltas, 1 Plasma Cannon
    2 Sages

Troops (160 pts)

-6 Storm Troopers w/ 2 plasma guns

-6 Storm Troopers w/2 plasma guns

Fast Attack (585 pts)

-9 Grey Knights w/Justicar, 1 psycannon, teleport homer

-8 Grey Knights w/Justicar, 1 psycannon, teleport homer

Heavy Support (268 pts)

-Dreadnought w/ TL Lascannon, Missle Launcher, Smoke, Spotlight

-Dreadnought w/ Assault cannon, smoke, spotlight

Total 1743 points

As a point of clarifacation my GM and retinue will be DSing. My plan is to DS all my GK's cause too often I've seen CC armies get anihalated as they slogged accrost a field to attack enemies. I have teleport homers on all of them so no matter who comes in first, the others can follow down right next to them if the first unit lands in a good spot or needs support.

As a general rule I tried to keep the extras cut down on my army so I could maximize my troop sizes and get a decent model count on the board (a big short coming of the Gk's I've found out the hard way). The second thing i should say is that I am extreamly opposed to the use of Landraiders in both their configurations, I can't stand the thought of that many points being wasted on something thats one lucky role away from being 250+ points of battlefield wreckage.

As I said before, any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

The only honorable options left to we combatants is seppuku or semantics...which amount to the same thing really.
    -Undead Bonzi

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There are a few bits of this army confusing me.

First, take Scourging off of your Inquisitor. The Psycannon is powerful enough and you can't use both Scourging and fire a gun in the same turn.

Next, what does "One Terminator with Holocaust" mean? You can either give it to the GM, which is a waste because you can't use it and the NFW's Instant Kill power in the same turn, or you can give it to the squad, which is really risky since a single Perils of the Warp roll might kill most of them. A Retinue doesn't come with another Brother-Captain to take wargear and psychic powers.

It would be relly useful to take a Rhino for one of your IST squads; it lets them get around the table faster, and once they're dropped off at the objective, you can block lines of sight with it, tank shock, etc. with 47 spare points it shouldn't be too hard to get, and if you can move a Teleport Homer to an IST Veteran, you can be sure to DS your Knights exactly where you want them.
    "HQ, my LOS is blocked by a soda bottle. I'm moving to unmask my guns."
    "Negative! The soda bottle is the Carnifex!"
    "Dang proxy models!"
    -Cmdr. Kren, www.tsoalr.com

Shrubs for the Blood God Undead Bonzi's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    207 (x5)

Yeah, I realized my error on the Holocaust about 2 hours after I posted. Thats what I get for making changes on the fly without my Codex. I though i could give GK termies powers and i did it for the same reason you listed, didn't want to waste GM's NFW attacks any turn but I forgot that the whole squad shares perils of the warp attacks when i do this.

As to the Sourging I put it in on the chance I was going to be swarm rushed and would be willing to gambel on getting 4+ scourging attacks against the enemy rather than the 3 of the psycannon.

I agree on the ST's and a the Rhino, I originally had the ST's purely to fill my two baic troop slots cheeply and provide a meat shield for my inquisitor and free up all my Gk's to be fast attack. I think however that maybe I should mount one of the ST's with a homer and possibly give them melta's instead of plasma.

I apprecieate the help, Ill revise the list as soon as I can get to my codex.

Keep those comments coming guys, I'm always gratefull for any help.
    The only honorable options left to we combatants is seppuku or semantics...which amount to the same thing really.
    -Undead Bonzi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    256 (x5)

Hmm.... Liking some stuff, not sure about others.

First off, that scourging issue. Between the odds of getting less shots, and the lower Strength/AP (5/5 to 6/4), and the possibility of frying your brains, I'd say drop it. You can't really do much better than that psycannon in that case. If you feel threatened by a swarm rush, try Word of the Emperor - you can't be assaulted without a leadership test, so it'll be more effective at keeping the heat off you than Scourging.

You might also think of swapping one or both multi-meltas for heavy bolters, depending on the mission. Meltas are great for tankbusting, but if you're looking at infantry you'll want the HB shots. I'd have a pair of both handy so you can switch roles easily.

Having a Rhino for one of the IST squads is good, although I've had good results from a Chimera - lower BS, but that Multilaser/Heavy Bolter combo can add some nasty firepower to back up the Stormtrooper squad. Thicker front armor, too. I'd definitely toss a teleport homer onto both squads to help the Knights get down safer, and you may want to have a set of 2 extra meltagun stormtroopers handy so you can switch one squad to a stopgap tank hunter group if you need it.

Your Dreads look good, although for the amount of use you're likely to get from them, drop the spotlights and put frag grenades on both Justicars instead - they'll be very handy when you've gotta chase things into cover. Extra armor might be a cool thing, and there's some more eccentric dreadnought stuff you may want to use for specific battles, too. (blessed, etc.)

I'm not too sure it's worth it to master craft the Grand Master's Nemesis weapon - every hit is valuable, but you're going to hit pretty easily anyways. Your choice, really.

One last note: if you've got spare points, put an Auspex on as many squads as possible (starting with that shooty inquisitor). A free volley of storm bolter/psycannon/plasma cannon/heavy bolter/whatever fire is never a good thing for sneaky infiltrators. Toss on a mystic or two to the inquisitor and you can get shots off at daemons and deep strikers, too! Cheap!

+ Reply to Thread