[1750] - Priests to the Slaughter - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[1750] - Priests to the Slaughter

Okay, I'm new to this army and im trying to work out a blissful working relation with the IG, between the shooty and the stabby. Heres what I got for 1750 (I'm fairly certain) and it seems rather balanced. any comments from the pros?
    (EDIT: Yeah, forgot to mention doctrines. It was late.)

Doctrines: Sharpshooters, Close-Order Drill, Veterans, Priests, Ratlings

75 Pts - HQ - Colonel-Commissar Gaunt
    206 Pts - HQ - Command Squad
    - Heroic Senior Officer
    - Bolt Pistol, Power Weapon, Refractor Field
    - Priest
    - Bolt Pistol, Power Weapon, Purity Seals, Carapace
    - Standard Bearer
    - Regimental Standard
    - Medic
    - Medi-pack
    - Voxcaster
    - Veteran Sergeant
    - Bolt Pistol, C/C Weapon, Carapace Armor

456 Pts - Troops - Infantry Platoon (Every Infantry Squad has Sharpshooters)
    - Command Squad
    - Junior Officer
    - Bolt Pistol, Power Weapon, Carapace Armor
    - Priest
    - Bolt Pistol, Power Weapon, Purity Seals, Carapace Armor
    - Medic
    - Medi-Pack
    - Voxcaster
    - Veteran Sergeant x 2
    - Infantry Squad x 3
    - Veteran Sergeant
    - Flamer, Voxcaster
    - Heavy Bolter Platform
    - Guardsmen x 5

274 Pts - Troops - Armored Fist Squad
    - Chimera Transport
    - Turret Mounted Multi-Laser, Hull Mounted Heavy Bolter
    - Extra Armor, Improved Comms, Smoke Launchers, Track Guards
    - Veteran Sergeant
    - Priest
    - Bolt Pistol, Power Weapon, Carapace Armor, Holy Relic
    - Grenade Launcher, Voxcaster
    - Voxcaster
    - Guardsmen x 6

110 Pts - Elite - Ratling Squad
    - Ratling x 10

288 Pts - Elite - Hardened Veteran Squad x 2
    - Hardened Veteran Sergeant
    - Grenade Launcher, Plasmagun, Meltagun, Voxcaster
    - Missile Launcher Platform
    - Hardened Veterans x 3

148 Pts - Heavy Support - Basilisk
    - Earthshaker Artillery Gun
    - Indirect Fire
    - Hull-Mounted Heavy Bolter
    - Armoured Crew Compartment, Smoke Launchers

193 Pts - Heavy Support - Demolisher
    - Demolisher Cannon, Plasma Cannon Sponsons, Hull-Mounted Heavy Bolter
    - Extra Armor, Track Guards, Smoke Launchers

Haven't tried anything in tournament play (hell, still not done sorting out all the rules) this army has a good personal feel and I think its pretty balanced. Gaunt + Priest = FTW!

Last edited by Goblin Ninja; December 4th, 2005 at 13:58.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Dawn Under Heaven Triumph Of Man's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    -170 (x0)

Quote Originally Posted by Goblin Ninja
    Okay, I'm new to this army and im trying to work out a blissful working relation with the IG, between the shooty and the stabby. Heres what I got for 1750 (I'm fairly certain) and it seems rather balanced. any comments from the pros?
    Yes, first one is that you've gone overboard with the stabby upgrades. :wacko:

The IG are mainly a shooty army, we can function well with only a single counter attack unit.

75 Pts - HQ - Colonel-Commissar Gaunt
    206 Pts - HQ - Command Squad
    - Heroic Senior Officer
    - Bolt Pistol, Power Weapon, Refractor Field
    - Priest
    - Bolt Pistol, Power Weapon, Purity Seals, Carapace
    - Standard Bearer
    - Regimental Standard
    - Medic
    - Medi-pack
    - Voxcaster
    - Veteran Sergeant
    I would get rid of Gaunt, but I have a feeling you won't want to. Also, if you give a Junior officer an Honourifica, he becomes a HSO (heroic senior officer) for 5 pts cheaper. I would also replace the priest with a commisar with a powerfist (by the way, priests can't take power weapons) as the leadership bonus is infinitely more useful, assault is a last ditch effort only.

Next get rid of the refractor field, the invulnerable it confers is crap anyway. You can spend the points better, also I would drop the standard down to a company banner and lose the medic too. He is only useful against shooting casulties and you should be postiioning this squad so it is out of sight.

Get rid of all of the carapace armour as well, it is a waste of points.

Also if you want to use the vox caster leadership system, you need to make this one a mastervox to be effective.

456 Pts - Troops - Infantry Platoon (Every Infantry Squad has Sharpshooters)
    - Command Squad
    - Junior Officer
    - Priest
    - Bolt Pistol, Power Weapon, Purity Seals, Carapace Armor
    - Medic
    - Medi-Pack
    - Voxcaster
    - Veteran Sergeant x 2
    - Infantry Squad x 3
    - Veteran Sergeant
    - Flamer, Voxcaster
    - Heavy Bolter Platform
    - Guardsmen x 5
    Major recamps here include getting rid of sharpshooters. It will not pay for it's points in infantry squads, it is only any good in HQ support squads.

Next, the only upgrades on your officers should be Iron discipline and a power weapon at the most. Lose all of the other crap. Also once again replace the priest with a commissar. Get rid of the medic too.

What is so special about your sergeants that you want to give them carapace armour, they are just crummy guardsmen! Also why have a sergeant when the vox caster will be giving you the better leadership of your Officer anyway? Ditch them all.

Also, Flamers are near useless. THere are few times you will ever actually get to fire one. The only special weapon worth taking IMO is the plasmagun.

You have practically no anti tank weapons, get some lascannons.

274 Pts - Troops - Armored Fist Squad
    - Chimera Transport
    - Turret Mounted Multi-Laser, Hull Mounted Heavy Bolter
    - Extra Armor, Improved Comms, Smoke Launchers, Track Guards
    - Veteran Sergeant
    - Priest
    - Bolt Pistol, Power Weapon, Carapace Armor, Holy Relic
    - Grenade Launcher, Voxcaster
    - Voxcaster
    - Guardsmen x 6
    Holy crap!!! A 274 pt armoured fist squad? And I thought mine was a little on the expensive side. Get rid of that of that preist!!! Infantry squads should not have advisors, officers only. Also get rid of that carapace armour pronto. Then get rid of improved comms and track guards and replace it with a pintle heavy stubber for maximum effectiveness.

The squad also kinda wants a heavy weapon. And you have put down vox caster twice.

288 Pts - Elite - Hardened Veteran Squad x 2
    - Hardened Veteran Sergeant
    - Grenade Launcher, Plasmagun, Meltagun, Voxcaster
    - Missile Launcher Platform
    - Hardened Veterans x 3

A ten man veteren squad with three plasma guns and a lascannon or a six man squad with one plasma gun and a lascannon are the best combinations you can get, I suggest you switch yours to resemble these.

148 Pts - Heavy Support - Basilisk
    - Earthshaker Artillery Gun
    - Indirect Fire
    - Hull-Mounted Heavy Bolter
    - Armoured Crew Compartment, Smoke Launchers
    Now the whole point to indirect fire is that you stick the bassie where it cannot be seen, hence protecting completley from enemy anti tank weapons. So why upgrade it pointlessly with smoke launchers and armoured crew compartment?

193 Pts - Heavy Support - Demolisher
    - Demolisher Cannon, Plasma Cannon Sponsons, Hull-Mounted Heavy Bolter
    - Extra Armor, Track Guards, Smoke Launchers
    I strongly suggest you ditch track guards and smoke launchers, I would actually drop this down to a normal leman russ as they pack a better range and are still very powerful. Plus they are cheaper.

--------

Ok, just some general points for you to consider.

1) We are meant to be a horde shooty army. This means minimising on the armoury upgrades. We suck at close combat anyway and a few extra priests are not going to make much of difference. Take on counter attack unit and leave the rest without upgrades. The only time I take more is when I team up with a non close combat army (tau), then I take more to cover for them as well.

2) Numbers are one of our key features. This includes a high number of men and heavy weapons.

3) Command squads should be placed out of sight, they are fragile and we need them for leadership

4) Chimeras are not transports to send your men into hand to hand combat. They are better used as fire support vehicles. Hell, my men hardly ever even get inside their Chimera.

5) It would be nice to know what doctorines you are using, I assume veterens is one as is allow priests and ratlings.

Karmoon
    ... only triumph could turn pooing his pants into a good thing..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

take gaunt in a large group of conscripts, tat way they still fight to the last man (fearless) and you don't have to take independant commisars, and guant is stonger than one anyway. that also adds to your stabby aspect, allowing you to get rid of some of thost worthless upgrades.

if you really want a priest, that would also be the spot to take one, same with the flamers. best staby cc guard unit ever, except for maybe xeno rough riders, but you don't have the doctrine points for that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the heads up, I've just got a few more points to ponder. First off, Priests can have power weapons, but do they count as CCW for the +1 Attack? Second, The IG Ver.4 FAQ says the ruling on the holy relic is that you can only use it if you haven't moved on the movement phase, despite the righteous fury aspect (always count as moving even if stationary). Close Order Drill + Purity seals means I should be able to get my units back if i get too far forward (hopefully) and I am thinking of dropping sharpshooters for Iron Discipline (probably free up another few points for a remnants squad) Im hosting this army based on what i have, and I dont want to field 2 elites choices without full squad power unless its necessary. Vehicle upgrades are on there because I can but i'd drop em if i had reason too (I know this is the first time i've even bothered putting basilisk above 125 pts, but last game he was infiltrated ) Lastly, I'd appreciate that didn't completely remove the stabby aspect, I can vouch it works i swear priests are alot better than you think, especially with gaunt. Hypothetically I'd just put him in the chim along with the squad there (no heavy weapon due to priests righteous fury, almost made that mistake once) and drop em off on a flank. My chimera (must be its paint job) has the uncanny ability to survive all fire, and ill be using it recklessly until people take notice Also, how do you guys model heavy stubbers for tanks?

In a magical little place called 'Hanford', where little elves fly about the hazy air
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x0)

You expect 10 guardsmen, a Commisionar, and a priest to actually hurt something? Lemme tell you, Goblin, while Gaunt and priests have all sorts of special abilities, they still are human, and like all humans, get there asses handed to them by any dedicated CC unit. Heck, a group of grotz with a PK slaver stands a goodly chane of winning CC with them.

And yes, power weapons count as CC weapons for the +1 attack, and th heavy stubber comes with all the imperial guard vehicles.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

-170 (x0)

Quote Originally Posted by Goblin Ninja
    Thanks for the heads up, I've just got a few more points to ponder. First off, Priests can have power weapons,
    No they can't. Their entry says they have access to the armoury but it also states that they may not select officer only items, a power weapon is one of these. This means the only decent CC weapon they have access to is the evicerator.

Karmoon

In a magical little place called 'Hanford', where little elves fly about the hazy air
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x0)

Read the power weapon entry in your codex closely, Truimph. Under it it clearly states that "Officers, Priests, Rough Rider Sgts and Storm Trooper Sgts only" can take power weapons.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

-170 (x0)

Gah...

I stand corrected.

The power weapon is the only "officer only" item which a priest, who cannot take officer only items, is allowed to take.

I'll remember that. :wacko:

Karmoon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In my experiance, If you want some good fighters on the cheap, and have a specific race you tend to fight, opt for conscrips with xenofighters and close order drill. That gives them the same to hit, initive and i think strength as some of the other troop types out there. Works for me against dire avengers. I just win through numbers.

Have some leadership nearby though.

Uh, Stormtrooper can hold thier own for a while in assault, and while not a popular choise, ogryns can tie up an enemy squad for a long time. Bit on the costly side though.

+ Reply to Thread