[1000] Witch Hunter Army - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[1000] Witch Hunter Army

Well, I wanted to try out a new army, and these guys look cool, I have read around a little, and thought I would post an attempt at a 1000pt list.

HQ

Canoness
    Litanies of Faith, Rosarius, Blessed Weapon, Bold Pistol, Frag Grenades
    127pts

5 Celestian
    Heavy Flamer, Flamer, Frag Grenades
    88pts 215pts
    Immolator - Heavy Flamers, Smoke Launcher
    68pts 283pts

TROOPS

10 Sisters of Battle
    2 Storm Bolter, Imagifier (Simulacrum Imperialis), Veteran Superior - Close Combat Weapon, Bolter
    154pts 437pts

10 Sisters of Battle
    Flamer, Heavy Flamer. Imagifier (Simulacrum Imperialis), Veteran Superior - Close Combat Weapon, Bolter
    162 599pts

HEAVY SUPPORT

6 Retributor
    3 Multi-Melta, Imagifier (Simulacrum Imperialis), Veteran Superior - Close Combat Weapon, Bolter
    175pts 774pts
    Immolator - Multi-Meltas, Smoke Launchers
    88pts 862pts

Exorcist
    Smoke Launchers
    138pts

6 Faith Points

1000pts exactly

Tactically, I just see the Canoness + Celestian squad running off ahead, trying to fry something, maybe fight a little - I dont care, as long as those martyr points rack up and they do a little damage to boot.

Would like a Rhino in there for the flamer squad, but I'm out of points, and really dont know if there is anything there I could drop.

Apathy is its own reward...

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    75 (x3)

The list looks alright, but I am not a fan of short range Heavy weapon squads. I don't think Retributers are good unless they are equipted with heavy bolters. They are just too easy for the enemy to avoid, espcially if they have killed your exocist and know that the only thing you have left can't move and shoot. It would cost you a faith point, but I think I would drop the squad (but leave the immolator as a heavy support choice [which could pick up some sisters after they drop some members from enemy shooting]) and add another exorcist. You then have enough points to pick up that Rhino if you drop the imagifer from one of the sister squads.

I am surprised however that you don't have any seraphim. They are awesome they add faith, and they get the imagifer for close to nothing. (I think I would drop the celestians and the second exorcist for some of these guys for sure...with a TL BS4 melta they can take down vehicles, and if you give another one to the Cannoness you certainly wouldn't get dominated by vehicles once your Heavy support wrecks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x2)

- Seraphim are the spearhead of the WH army. To not use them is to miss out on a huge dimension of the WH army.

- Litanies is wasteful, unless you have a specific plan for it.

- An Exorcist should take Extra armor instead of smoke.

- A Cannones really doesn't need a Rosarius. She should stay in a squad until the turn she charges, then she should seperate and go 2+ Invulnerable.

- A Retinue is a liability 4th ed. Take Celestians as Elites instead.

- Paying for an Imagifier generally means that you're not playing the army correctly.

- I don't like Multimeltas at all. Twin-Inferno Pistols inthe Hands of Seraphim I find much more effective and cheaper.

___________________________________________________________________________ ___

I just created an all-purpose 1000 pt WH list if you're interested.
    Generally speaking, it is highly mobile, and leverages the added value of the multi-functionality of the Eviscerator.

SISTERS 1000 Pts
    Cannoness
    Bolt Pist+Eviscerator+Jump Pack (She joins the Seraphim unit below)

6 Seraphim
    Vet Upgrade (Free Bolt Pist) Book of St Lucius+Eviscerator

8 Seraphim
    Twin Inferno Pistols
    Twin Hand-Flamers (count as extra CCW)
    Vet Upgrade (Free Bolt Pist)+ Book+Eviscerator

12 Troops
    1 Stormbolter
    1 Stormbolter
    Vet Upgrade + Auspex

10 Troops
    1 Flamer
    1 Flamer
    Vet Upgrade+(Free Bolt Pistol)+Book of St Lucius
    RHINO (1 Sister can fire from hatch with no penalty)
    EXTRA ARMOR+SMOKE

1 EXORCIST with Extra Armor

998 points
    6 Faith Points

Not sure what to do with the extra 2 points.
    Last edited by Red Zinfandel; January 4th, 2006 at 03:54.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Malignant_one:

First and formost play your original army and see how you go mate always good to learn that way
    Personally not sure about Celestians in 1000 pts but if you still want them take them but drop the Litanies and the rosarius, take an imagifer for them and a Book of St. Lucius to make them cause trouble for a little longer
    For the troops the Imagifer is not a requirement, you'll roll more for the squads that will be doing the close in fighting (your cannoness and her crew) better to lose them to give you a few more points to spend on Rhinos for them, mobile fire support is a better option. You have squads of 10 so have faith in your faith rolls
    For the Heavy Support i'm with Nicodemus about the heavy bolters, Retributors have always worked better for me as a static line holder a squad of 10 with the imagifer and an auspex can be really good, yes it leaves them exposed to an assault but with 4 heavy bolters and sacred rites they will come under some real punishment on the way. Or fire support for your cannoness before she assaults
    Exorcist is a good choice, i always thought that one was just there for your opponents target practice, but with the option to move and fire you have a degree of choice to move out and thump the most dangerous threat

Red Zinfandel:

I like the mobility but i think that high toughness armies are gunna prove to be very difficult to overcome even with Sacred Rites and Eviserators, and facing Tyranids is going to be a nightmare they move as fast as you do and in greater numbers, that being said i think i will play with it and see how i go

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    54 (x1)

I'll second that you should probably drop the Litanies. Get an imagifier for the Celestians instead. While you're at it, consider actually making this unit into a full-fledged close combat squad. You'll be in close a lot with the flamers and unlike seraphim they can't jump back out of a fight. Drop the Immolator for a Rhino and up the squad to 9 Celestians, and veteran sister with an eviscerator. Points permitting you can add a Brazier of Holy Fire. I say this because a 6-sister squad just won't cut it if you get into a fight. You'll need the extra girl-power. The Evis and Blessed Weapons are the mainstays, the flamers soften them up, and the rest are reasonably cheap wound-fodder. Give the Cannoness the Book of St. Lucius. It'll help protect you from any morale test problems without needing to spend faith on being fearless. For some extra tank-busting to tag-team with the Evis, you can also give the Cannoness melta bombs. The Rosarius can be a good investment for this army list. By relying on it to protect the Cannoness and the extra troops to keep the Celestian Superior up, you can spend your Faith on more offensive efforts. Oh, and consider adding Extra Armor to the transport. If it's stunned, it can't deliver it's troops like you need it to, and it's a cheap upgrade.

Storm bolters aren't much use for a normal sister squad. I'd drop them. Probably drop the Imagifier from this squad as well. They should be ok for the odd faith point they're likely to use. Most of the faith will be going towards your two flamer squads and maybe retributers. Use this squad to hold table quarters, protect the heavy weapons, or move in to support your more mobile squads. Never underestimate the firepower of a simple squad of the most basic sisters when given an act of faith at the right time. (My friend that plays marines does his best to stay out of my rapid fire range nowadays )

The second squad... I'd actually seriously consider changing those flamers to meltaguns and mounting the squad in a rhino. The celestians are better for getting up close and can cover the flamer angle just fine. These girls could then provide some anti-armor back-up. And against marines or the like, never underestimate the chance to rapid fire them with Divine Guidance and a mostly intact squad of sisters. This also helps spread out your anti-tank power..

I tend to also agree on the Retributers. Dominions work better for running around popping tanks with melta weapons. Or the above sister squad. Even multi-meltas are short range and you have to be mobile to use them well, but retributers have to stay still to fire, negating thier mobility. Give them heavy bolters and they can lay down some great fire support. But, since they don't need to be mobile, I'd drop the Immolator and add a couple extra sisters to the squad for padding. Spend the points elsewhere on the army (like transports for the other squads). Or take the Immolator as a seperate force choice so you can get an extra sister or two with the retributers.

The exorcist is a great choice, but drop the smoke for Extra Armor. Smokes are largely pointless on the tank since you want that puppy firing every turn. Extra Armor is just there so you can move it back under cover if it gets stunned. You can probably just take a straight unmodified Exorcist with little worry. Bear in mind it's going to be #1 on enemy heavy weapon hit-lists though. This is also why I suggested moving the meltas out to a mobile unit, and adding the Eviserator to the Celestians to give you some back-up anti-tank power.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Ryiax
    First and formost play your original army and see how you go mate always good to learn that way
    The single most usefull piece of advice I have heard ever!

Now for some slightly less usefull, IMHO you are trying to squeeze too much in here

Mainly around anti tank, you have an awful lot. You desperately need another rhino and I would like to see a VSS in the celestians with an eviscerator.

How to do this?

Personally I think I would drop the celestian squad, it eats points, switch the multi meltas on your retributors to heavy bolters, get extra armour for both your remaining immolator and the exorcist, put the flamer troop squad in a rhino with EA and smoke and give the VSS either brazier or eviscerator
    Take your foot squad and up the numbers or rejig it with a rhino like the flamer squad, with similar weaponry, this leaves yuour cannoness hanging, which makes me think time to take the jump pack route.

but the best advice is that line from Ryiax
    Everything you have been told is a lie!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, I have tried to take into account what everyone has said. I realise 1000 points isn’t a lot to go with, but I really wanted more than just the exorcist on its own to take down tanks.

Here’s a revised attempt (trying to bear in mind everything that was said)

- - -

Canoness - Bolt Pistol, Frag Grenades, Blessed Weapon, Cloak of St. Aspira, Book of St. Lucius

10 Sisters of Battle - Imagifier, Flamer, Heavy Flamer, Veteran Superior (Close Combat Weapon, Bolt Pistol)
    Rhino - Smoke Launcher, Extra Armour

10 Sisters of Battle - 2 Storm Bolter, Veteran Superior (Close Combat Weapon, Bolter)

Exorcist - Extra Armour

5 Celestian - Flamer, Heavy Flamer, Frag Grenades
    Immolator - Extra Armour, Smoke Launcher, Heavy Flamers

8 Seraph - 2 Twin Flamers, Meltabombs, Veteran Superior (Book of St. Lucius)

Total 994

- - -

I kept the Celestians because I really want to try that unit out - it’s just a glorified (overpriced) assault unit I know, but it’s something for my Canoness to go round with and make the odd suicide run with.

And with the Seraph's I wasn't sure if getting the eviscerator was worth losing one extra sister. Just like my decision to equip them with flamers instead of meltas really. I feel more numbers would be safer than running the risk of losing a pricey model after only a few casualties.

Sorry about the delay in responding - was hard to make an army while taking into account everything people said, and trying to keep it "my own". (Plus the post new-year time has been a little crazy)
    Apathy is its own reward...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    124 (x4)

give the foot slogging sisters superior a storm bolter. 3 storm bolters on the move is very good Apart from that seems fine, though i don't really agree with small squads of sisters: makes faith abit harder to accomplish (pending on what you're attempting)
    "Adapt to heaven and enjoy ease; oppose it and toil in vain. None can deduct from the reakoning, or force what is fated." - Three Kindoms, lesson of life.

My Showcase
    Witch Hunters Tactica [=Updating=]
    New Eldar Tactica

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x2)

I can't say there's anything wrong with the force. It's balanced and playable. Start playing.

But there is one just thing that I would definitely change.
    I would drop the Imagifier and give your Seraphim VSS an Eviscerator. You do need 1 more tool in your front lines that can tank hunt and/or deal with characters.

An Eviscerator provides some excellent economy in that it is both a Character-Killer (able to hit with Str8 in CC). and it is a Tank-Killer with an effective range of 20" (12" movement + 6" charge + a VSS van support any of her squad models who are in B2B with enemy and are 2" or less distance from her, sot that adds 2 additional inches of effective range).

Some additional tactics in case you're not already aware of them:

Don't forget that a Seraphim Vet couts as having an Imagifier as long as she is alive, and don't forget that Seraphim confer +1 Ld to friendlies in a 12" (?) radius, and the squad has free Kraks and Frags. While we're at it, be also reminded that Seraphim can use "jump back" at the end of your Opponent's turn (it happens at the end of the assault phase immediately before consolidation).

Use this jump back technique to "set up" a perfect Turkey Shoot where your cheap and numerous battle sisters move into flamer/rapid fire position, and shoot the Holy Crap out of your opponent immediately after you've jumped away from CC. If there's anyone left standing, the Seraphim can also shoot and charge the unit until it's gonzo.

Be also reminded that when your Seraphim do this jump back trick, they of course can fly over enemy models. THerefore, if the enemy squad is small enough, the Seraphim can surround the enemy squad, removing their fallback corridor (and the whole squad) if they should break. Rememember this dirty little trick for Orks, who tend to break easily, but pull that mob-up crap. We'll have no more of that while Charlie's Angels are on the board! Mu Ha Ha.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

but pull that mob-up crap. We'll have no more of that while Charlie's Angels are on the board! Mu Ha Ha.
    Amen brother!!!

Malignant, i like the new army list let us know how you fare with it

+ Reply to Thread