Newbies first list - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    48 (x1)

Newbies first list

I know this is not technically an army list but I need help and I was wondering if some more seasoned IG players could give me some pointers on this. Really it is just me filling out the force chart some of the units I have mostly I am missing the heavy and I only have about 1/3 of the troops. I am Just asking for help before I go all out and empty my bank account on minis, and this army will go against just about anything and everything at every point value in the 40k universe

For Doctrines a Mechanized army Storm troopers with iron discipline harden fighters and sharp shooters

the HQ
    heroic Senior
    mortar
    master vox
    medic
    chimera
    x2 Mortar support

ELITES
    Harden vets
    Other stuff????
    Chimera

X2 Storm troopers
    Vet sergeant
    Flamer
    Grenade Launchers
    Chimera

Troops
    x3 Armored fist
    vet sergeant
    missiles
    grenades
    vox

x3 Armored first
    vet sergeant
    heavy bolter
    grenade
    vox

Fast Attack
    x2 hellhounds

sentinel
    x2 las cannon
    1 auto cannon

Heavy Support
    X2 Basilisk
    Indirect fire

Demolisher
    mounted lass cannon
    sponsors plasma cannon or multi-meltas

If you do things right people wont be sure if you have done anything at all.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    77 (x2)

Hi zabien, this is quite a strong list for a first try.

HQ: Your Chimera needs to be armed. I would recomend a H.Flamer/H.Bolter combo when dropping troops, along with extra armour and smoke launchers. For weapons platform Chimeras I recomend 2x Heavy bolter.

However, I don't think your command squad should be in a Chimera. You can take the tank, just don't put the squad in it.

Good combo of a Vox net and hornifica, but Medics are a waste of points imo. If the enemy is making you take armour saves on a command squad that should be out of LOS, a medic won't save them.

Mortars aren't nearly worth their points IMO, and you have enough Basalisks for your indirect fire needs.

Elites: I won't go into the uses of Hardened vets too much, but the basic layouts are either full squads with the 3x Plasmagun 1x Lascannon combo as line infantry, and small squads with 3x Meltaguns as deepstrikers.

Again, the Chimera. Are they planning to use it? My recomendation is that Grenadiers are best suited for transports + It needs weapons.

Grenadier squads in Chimeras are good, but mixing Special Weapons is never a good thing, and flamers and grenade launchers are wasted on these guys. I recomend putting H.Flamers + extra armour and smokes on their tanks, and giving them Meltaguns or Plasmaguns. For assault squads a vox is often useful, and some people like to take the vet. sergeant for the power weapon.

Troops: For every armoured fist you take, you need to take an infantry platoon. So you need a rethink here. The mechanised doctrine allows you to take Chimeras for every squad if that is your tacic.

If you don't want to buy Infantry platoons, or you think 3 Chimeras is excessive for a troop choice (I certainly do), consider replacing your troop choices with Grenadiers. They are better in this role.
    Diggums has written an excelent tactica on making a Grenadier army - and he is a fan of Chimeras as well (he is slowly converting me - but I don't like to admit it)!

Fast attack: I like your use of Hellhounds and sentinels, but Try to keep them all in seperate squads. Remember - the command platoon gives you a free Sentinel squad. So you could take 2x Hellhound as FA, and still get 2 Sentinel squads. I don't like doubling Sentinels up in squads, but if you want those Hellhounds you need to consider it.

Heavy Support: I don't beleive in the Basalisk myself. Give me 2 Russes any day. But this is personal taste. With that many Chimeras and Hellhounds on the board a single Russ should be ok. They will draw fire from each other. Beware though, a Demolisher is one hell of a target - particularly if you don't have any other Russes to back it up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zabien
    I know this is not technically an army list but I need help and I was wondering if some more seasoned IG players could give me some pointers on this. Really it is just me filling out the force chart some of the units I have mostly I am missing the heavy and I only have about 1/3 of the troops. I am Just asking for help before I go all out and empty my bank account on minis, and this army will go against just about anything and everything at every point value in the 40k universe

For Doctrines a Mechanized army Storm troopers with iron discipline harden fighters and sharp shooters

the HQ
    heroic Senior
    mortar
    master vox
    medic
    chimera
    x2 Mortar support
    You're alright here, but if you plan on keeping them behind cover to provide leadership, drop the medic as it will just be a waste of points.

ELITES
    Harden vets
    Other stuff????
    Chimera
    If you are mounting in a chimera, you will probably want to arm your vets with plasma guns. You may also want to give them a lascannon to make a solid firing line.

X2 Storm troopers
    Vet sergeant
    Flamer
    Grenade Launchers
    Chimera
    I don't particularly like flamers in a guard army, especially on your storm troopers. Storm troopers are much better than normal guard infantry mainly due to their BS4. Why waste that higher BS by giving them a weapon that doesn't rely on BS at all? I would switch to plasma guns here.

Troops
    x3 Armored fist
    vet sergeant
    missiles
    grenades
    vox
    You can only take an armored fist squad for each infantry platoon you have. If you want 3 armored fist squads, you would need to create 3 infantry platoons. What you might want to do, is instead of taking so many armored fist squads, take the grenadiers doctrine instead of "storm troopers" and move storm trooper squads into your troop slots mounted in chimeras. This would cost a little more since storm troopers are more costly than armored fist squads, but at least you could field plenty of mounted troops without having to worry about taking infantry platoons.

x3 Armored first
    vet sergeant
    heavy bolter
    grenade
    vox

Fast Attack
    x2 hellhounds
    Nice choices here, I love hellhounds.

sentinel
    x2 las cannon
    1 auto cannon

Heavy Support
    X2 Basilisk
    Indirect fire
    I prefer 2 Leman Russes and 1 Basalisk, but I do not discount the uses behind multiple basalisks. The choice is yours.

Demolisher
    mounted lass cannon
    sponsors plasma cannon or multi-meltas
    Your list needs some things corrected but you seem to have a solid grasp on what you're looking to do. Stick with it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    48 (x1)

Ok I really took that wrong I read the Mechanized Doc in that it turns all troops into the fist squads. Man that sucks that’s more then my bank account has well back to model by model. Ok so if the medic needs to go then what should I replace him with the standards abilities don’t travel down the vox, and I just don’t know what else I want. The Sentinels are one squad, one just has an auto cannon that’s ok as long as I pay the points right? Elites I have the two Storm Troopers out of the box so I still can add bigger guns but tuition was due this month. I am debating on a getting more Storm Troopers or Vets or if I still do Mechanized a Tech Priest. As for my reasons on so many Mortars and Basilisk is for fluff I’m making them more into siege warfare, and so that every thing basically covers each others butts. The Demolisher is there to cover the HQ, Mortars and Basilisks. The sentinels cover the Demolisher. The Sentinels covered by the Hellhounds who are covered by the Storm Troopers who are covered by the Troops who get cover from the HQ, Mortars and Basilisk.
    If you do things right people wont be sure if you have done anything at all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    77 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by zabien
    Ok I really took that wrong I read the Mechanized Doc in that it turns all troops into the fist squads. Man that sucks that’s more then my bank account has well back to model by model. Ok so if the medic needs to go then what should I replace him with the standards abilities don’t travel down the vox, and I just don’t know what else I want.

Don't bother replacing him with anything else. Just ditch him.

The Sentinels are one squad, one just has an auto cannon that’s ok as long as I pay the points right?

It is legal, but it isn't sensible.
    1. The whole squad has to shoot at 1 target (so don't mix weapons).
    2. Hits are divided between the members of the squadron, so it's quite conceivable for the entire squad to be destroyed by a single heavy weapons squad.

You have 2 free fast attack slots, + a free sentinel slot in the command platoon. So you have the slots to put all three of these in seperate squads. There is no reason why you shouldn't.

Elites I have the two Storm Troopers out of the box so I still can add bigger guns but tuition was due this month.

It would be a good idea if you got the Special weapons troopers. I made the mistake of buying the Kaskrin box set too, but the flamer and grenade launcher really are useless weapons, particularly on Storm Troopers.

As long as you are playing friendlys I would excpect your opponents would let you field your flamer and GL as being representative for Plasmaguns, but in the long-term I would say it is essential for you to change them.

I am debating on a getting more Storm Troopers or Vets or if I still do Mechanized a Tech Priest.

Tech Priests are a waste of points IMO. 40pts for the chance of fixing a tank on a 6. And he has to be in contact with it the turn before, forget him to be honest.

As for my reasons on so many Mortars and Basilisk is for fluff I’m making them more into siege warfare, and so that every thing basically covers each others butts. The Demolisher is there to cover the HQ, Mortars and Basilisks. The sentinels cover the Demolisher. The Sentinels covered by the Hellhounds who are covered by the Storm Troopers who are covered by the Troops who get cover from the HQ, Mortars and Basilisk.
    Fair enough lol! I like the idea of an inderect fire fluff list, good luck with it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love the two Basalisks. Put one in each corner, and they cover the entire board. Great list, especially for a first attempt.

+ Reply to Thread