1850 pts Space Wolves - tourney - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x5)

1850 pts Space Wolves - tourney

For an upcoming tournament I have written two lists, between I still have to choose.
    The first is a drop pod heavy list, the second an army combining Rhino's and a Bike powerhouse.
    Any comments are appreciated. Plz fire away.

For Russ!

-----

Wolf Lord (118 )
    frost blade, stormbolter
    terminator armour, Wolf Pelt

Wolf Guard Bodyguard (300)
    2. lightning claw, stormbolter
    1. thunderhammer, assault cannon
    1. chainfist, assault cannon
    Drop pod

Venerable Dreadnought (203)
    DCCW, heavy flamer, assault cannon
    extra armour, smoke
    Drop pod

WG Battle Leader (183)
    frost blade, bp
    frags, meltabombs, Wolf Pelt, WT Necklace
    bike
    4 Fenrisian Wolves

Wolf Scout pack (76)
    4. Scouts w/ meltagun, plasma pistol

Grey Hunter pack (270)
    7. bolter
    1. meltagun
    1. powerweapon
    Wolf Guard w/ powerfist, bp, frags, Wolf Pelt, WT Necklace
    Drop pod

Grey Hunter pack (270)
    7. bolter
    1. meltagun
    1. powerweapon
    Drop pod

Grey Hunter pack (270)
    7. bolter
    1. meltagun
    1. powerweapon
    Drop pod

LS Tornado (80)
    heavy bolter

LS Tornado (80)
    heavy bolter

= 1850

The main force are of course the podding troops: the Wolf Lord and his retinue, the Ven Dread and 3 packs of GHs. All can unleash fire on the turn they land. After they can both keep shooting and assault, a versatile force.
    In support there are the 'Speeders, the Scouts and the WGBL on bike with his Wolves. The WGBL can either clean up smaller enemy units or pop a tank with his meltabombs and the others do whatever Scouts and 'Speeders do.
    On the field of AT there are primarily the 'Speeders and the Scouts. Furthermore the termies and the Ven Dread also have 3 assault cannons between them, there are 2 powerfists or related weapons in each pack and finally a number of meltaguns and bombs scattered through the army.
    My main concern is that I might lack some horde-control.

-----

Wolf Lord (195)
    frost blade, bp
    Belt of Russ, frags, Wolf Pelt, WT Talisman, WT Necklace
    bike
    2 Fenrisian Wolves

extra armour, smoke
    Drop pod

Rune Priest (160)
    twin-LC
    frags, Runic Charm, Wolf Pelt, WT Talisman
    bike

Wolf Guard Bodyguard (226)
    3. ccw, bp
    1. thunderhammer, bp, Runic Charm, WT Necklace
    all w/ bike, frags

Wolf Scout pack (76)

Grey Hunter pack (272)
    7. bolter
    1. plasmagun
    1. powerweapon
    1. powerfist
    Rhino w/ extra armour, smoke

Grey Hunter pack (272)
    7. bolter
    1. plasmagun
    1. powerweapon
    1. powerfist
    Rhino w/ extra armour, smoke

Grey Hunter pack (201)
    4. bolter
    1. plasmagun
    1. powerweapon
    Razorback w/ extra armour, smoke

LS Tornado (80)
    heavy bolter, assault cannon

LS Tornado (80)
    heavy bolter, assault cannon

Whirlwind (85)

= 1850

This is a more combined arms army.
    First the GHs in their transports can either zoom right across the field or do it more carefully using terrain. In range they will disembark and start firing bolters and plasma's. They also have the capability to either accept or give assault.
    The second main force are the Wolf Lord, the Rune Priest and the bikers. Under cover from Storm Caller, terrain and Boost they rush up the enemy carving a huge swath in the enemy lines whereever they go. The Wolf Lord is perfectly geared as a character hunter and together with his he can detach himself from the rest to devote to that business. The Rune Priest on the other hand is a troopkiller.
    This list has somewhat less AT, but not harmfully so. On the other hand it has good horde-control with the Whirlwind.

Lance Leader of the LO Codex: Wasters design team

Forged in fire, bonded in ice
    Son of Fenris, Son of Russ

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Slave to the flesh The_Outsider's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    251 (x8)

I love list 2, rhinos (despite what anyone says) are SW down to a 'tee'.

The only thing is you have no blood claws, how come? their assaults are awesome.

I would give the scouts meltabombs so when they OBEL they can slap a few tanks around.

THe rune preist is good, but a wolf priest is a more economic choice and he's cheaper.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Both lists are pretty solid and not cheesy.

List One lends much heavier firepower with the two assault cannons. I was wondering if you would beef up your GH packs with more powerfists by trimming elsewhere...like reducing the Wolf Guard Bodyguard's Thunderhammer/Chainfist down to a Powerfist, or leaving a Fenrisian wolf at home to babysit the litter. However, having a drop pod force adds much uncertainty to your tournament list...something you "may" not want for a tourney (although IMHO I think it's more fun). Some Drop Pod forces have been chewed up one unit at a time...but then again, you may get lucky and have several drops at the same time thus swarming your opponents to bits.

For Horde forces...I guess it "would" be possible to deploy your Terminators as opposed to dropping them. With four Assault Cannons starting on the board you have the potential to really chew up the opposing force.

I really like list Two. I would guess this list offers you more stability versus a dropped force. Stability and consistency is something I'd imagine you'd want to have in a tournament as opposed to depending a bit more on the luck of the roll.

The Wolf Guard on bike seem a little pricey, but then again, I would like to see them beefed up with either power weapons or one more powerfist (unless they really are there as ablative armor for the Rune Priest).

Hmm, although I would like to see a bit more concentration of Powerfists in your GH, they seem like a solid lot. Why Plasma over Melta when Melta adds a bit more Anti-tank punch to the unit? I could almost imagine you shaving a lot of points by taking a Blood Claw pack instead of Grey Hunters and adding Las-Cannons to your Razorback for a bit more firepower.

Anyhow, looks solid either way although I favor list Two over One.

Fox

Ghost of LO ForgedInTheFurnaceOfWar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    185 (x8)

This list is the better of the two, so i will review it.

Wolf Lord (118 )
    frost blade, stormbolter
    terminator armour, Wolf Pelt
    Reduce this dude to a battle leader.

Wolf Guard Bodyguard (300)
    2. lightning claw, stormbolter
    1. thunderhammer, assault cannon
    1. chainfist, assault cannon
    Drop pod
    Switch the chain fist for a 3rd lightening claw. Thunderhammer is pretty good against tanks, but the assault cannons are the real threat anyway.

extra armour, smoke
    Drop pod
    Having good BS is nice with Acs, between the terminators, landspeeders and this guy, youve got 5 ACs, thats 20 shots, your looking good for anti tank.

WG Battle Leader (183)
    frost blade, bp
    frags, meltabombs, Wolf Pelt, WT Necklace
    bike
    4 Fenrisian Wolves
    Ditch the melta bombs, WT necklace and the wolfs.

melta bombs arent a good choice, hes far better at assaulting infantry.
    WT necklace isnt really needed either, he hit almost everything on 3s anyway, and with no invunerable save, its best he stay away from ICs.
    Fenrisian wolves, again not a good selection, this is because they dont have 3+ saves, (im not sure if they can turbo boost, however they move at the speed of there owner, seems impossible for a wolve to run that fast though. None the less a 5+ invunerable save, or what ever there armour save would be, isnt gonna save them. So ditch them, and if you feel you need a body gaurd, join a GHs squad.

Wolf Scout pack (76)
    Make these 6 man, + WG leader.
    Buff out this WG leader, as youve dont below.
    Add 1 plsama pistol, or powersword.
    Do not give them melta bombs.

Grey Hunter pack (270)
    7. bolter
    1. meltagun
    1. powerweapon
    Drop pod
    Extchange the powerweapon for powerfist. Ditch the WGPL for simply 2 powerfists. Much more effective for the points.

Grey Hunter pack (270)
    7. bolter
    1. meltagun
    1. powerweapon
    Drop pod
    Same as above.

Grey Hunter pack (270)
    7. bolter
    1. meltagun
    1. powerweapon
    Drop pod
    See above.

LS Tornado (80)
    heavy bolter

LS Tornado (80)
    heavy bolter
    Good choice.

You should come out with some points left over, with those points, fill out your squads of GHs to 10 man squads if possible, unless you have enough to get a whole other 8 man squad.

Peace

Wolf Scout Meltagunner Wulfbanes's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    49 (x2)

Araith!
    Greetings.
    Just to say, the lists are great.

i like both...

List 1 is effective, we know.
    List 2 on the other hand has shown efficiency in the past...

I say go with list 2, since you know how to play with it, and it IS the real Space Wolf list. Not that many comment, only that, YOU STOLE MY BIKER HQ'S lol

WEll, Great Job, and good luck on the Tourney (eat some for me too)
    Greetings,
    Wulfbanes

P.S. FITFOW, were you moody when writing? OMG, your advise looks aggresive, although, I must say, it is an great advice. ^_^
    Getting Help = Giving Rep

Space Wolves 5th edition:
    W13, L2, D2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

185 (x8)

Sorry, im just crusading against melta bombs... =/ no offence intended. It was also like, 6 AM, and i wanted to give the list a review, without making it very long. Anyway Peace

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    49 (x2)

no problem FITFOW, we all know how it is like ^_^
    And yeah, I don't like meltabombs on scouts either, they become way to expensive.

Peace,
    Wulfbanes

W13, L2, D2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

185 (x8)

Dark Angel: Can we slow down a bit, I'm getting tired!
    Space Wolf: What.. we've only been running for 12 days and you're tired already? We'll stop for a rest next week!
    Thats why dark angles use bikes, while space wolves run around

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    49 (x2)

Hey! I saw that!

Aw, what is it without a bit of fair competition ^_^
    And bikes, woo! We have puppies to sit on to run around on, and those go faster than bikes

Anyway, keeping the peace,
    Wulfbanes

W13, L2, D2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x5)

Thanks for all the feedback, keep it coming.

Quote Originally Posted by ForgedInTheFurnaceOfWar
    Thats why dark angles use bikes, while space wolves run around
    Yeah, DA need something to at try to keep up with us...:shifty:

Quote Originally Posted by The_Outsider
    I love list 2, rhinos (despite what anyone says) are SW down to a 'tee'.

The only thing is you have no blood claws, how come? their assaults are awesome.

I would give the scouts meltabombs so when they OBEL they can slap a few tanks around.

THe rune preist is good, but a wolf priest is a more economic choice and he's cheaper.
    BCs are awesome assault troops but I have no BCs 'cause htey didn't fit in my overall plan. In hte first place I'm not fond of podding BCs. More of a GHs sort of thing. In second list I invisioned shock tactics of ridign up there and blasting crap out of the enemy. More shooty tactics. The bikers could have been BCs but I needed some more stamina to the unit and thus took Wolf Guard.

On the Scouts I'm also not a fan of meltabombs. On other units I can see the use of meltabombs, but Scouts already have a melta and a PP. Seems enough to me.

I took teh Rune Priest coz saving 1 life per turn isn't enough. The cover will do more for a unit of 4 WG, 2 HQs and a number of Wolves. Plus I'm not wasting points taking lightning claws or a frost blade over a normal powerweapon.
    What do you think?

Reviewing the other advice in one go:

The first list:

I've taken a Wolf Lord 'cause of both fluff reasons and that I want the 3rd wound. Certainly in teh 2nd list I want to keep him. In the 1st list I could maybe supplant him for a WGBL, as a last resort...

Reducing one of the powerfist-like weapons on the terminator WG seems a good idea yes. I'll prolly for FITFOW's idea on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxen
    For Horde forces...I guess it "would" be possible to deploy your Terminators as opposed to dropping them. With four Assault Cannons starting on the board you have the potential to really chew up the opposing force.
    Risky, but it might be worth it. I don't know...

On the WGBL, I agree that he'd best stay away from ICs. The reasoning behind the meltabombs and the WTN was that it's a great combo. Hitting vehicles that'd normally on 6s on 3s instead with meltabombs. But I might indeed drop it.
    I've taken the wolves, and will keep them, to make him a real unit. And extra attacks never harm. And seeing horde armies being a potential danger, he'll be a good horde-killer.

Make these 6 man, + WG leader.
    Buff out this WG leader, as youve dont below.
    Add 1 plsama pistol, or powersword.
    They aren't there to be a strong CC unit. Just to pop tanks. I've saved the points you advice for the Scouts for other units. GHs are better suited for those kinds of tasks anyway.

On the GHs: Extchange the powerweapon for powerfist. Ditch the WGPL for simply 2 powerfists. Much more effective for the points.
    Mmm, I'll get that 2nd powerfist in each pack. But I want to keep the WGBL for extra prowess in CC. Hitting on 3s really helps. It also makes this a very potent unit if facing tanks etc (tanks don't like being hit on 3s by powerfists).

You should come out with some points left over, with those points, fill out your squads of GHs to 10 man squads if possible, unless you have enough to get a whole other 8 man squad.
    The packs are already maxed out... You can't put 11 men in a pod.

The second list:

The Wolf Guard on bike seem a little pricey, but then again, I would like to see them beefed up with either power weapons or one more powerfist (unless they really are there as ablative armor for the Rune Priest).
    I had extra weapons for them at first, but had to drop it due to points shortage. And the HQs will provide for a lot of kills anyway. If I could find points for it htough I would have extra equipment.
    Hmm, although I would like to see a bit more concentration of Powerfists in your GH, they seem like a solid lot. Why Plasma over Melta when Melta adds a bit more Anti-tank punch to the unit? I could almost imagine you shaving a lot of points by taking a Blood Claw pack instead of Grey Hunters and adding Las-Cannons to your Razorback for a bit more firepower.
    Well, these GHs are primarily shooting units. Which is my reasoning behind hte plasma's. And since they'd possibly not be picking their own fights they might well find themselves against a powerful CC unit, so the powerweapons will at least strike on Initiative. Plus it saves some points.
    I've already said why I haven't got BCs. The bikers are there for the assault. Lascannons are a good idea, if I can find the points for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Wulfbanes
    I say go with list 2, since you know how to play with it, and it IS the real Space Wolf list. Not that many comment, only that, YOU STOLE MY BIKER HQ'S lol
    I was already thinking about lone HQs on bikes, but you indeed made me work the idea out.

Tai'shar
    Last edited by Araith; February 21st, 2006 at 13:34.
    Lance Leader of the LO Codex: Wasters design team

Forged in fire, bonded in ice
    Son of Fenris, Son of Russ

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast