[Raven Guard][400pts] - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[Raven Guard][400pts]

Howdy all, Ive been thinkin up this 40k in 40 minutes list tell me what u think......

Captain - 91 points
    Power Weapon
    Jump Pack
    Bolt Pistol

Scout Squad - 90 points
    5 sniper rifles

Assault Squad x6 - 215 points
    x2 plasma pistols
    vet/ sergeant
    Power Fist

cheers guys

Last edited by liero; February 22nd, 2006 at 05:24.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First of all your captain is illegal, you can't have terminator armour and a boltpistol.
    You could ditch the terminator armour and give him a jump pack so that the assault squad has more power.

You also don't have any long range anti-tank weapons so you could have trouble with removing enemy armour. To help your anti-tank power you could have a missle launcher in your scout squad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hi,

first drop the terminator armour

A. i can't have 2+ saves in combat patrol
    B. i does not suit raven guard fluff, get a jumppack for him

bisides that get a ML for anti tank duties

how about this:

captain, BP, TH, frag grenades, jumppack, power weapon

5 assault marines, vet serg powerfist
    all furious charge (trait system) & frag grenades

7 scouts
    6 x sniper rifle, 1x ML

398 points

hope it helps

elfwarden

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yea lol it was suppodosed to be a jump pack.....must hav been asleep when I typed it.

I think it works

I dont really think il be needing the anti-tank power in a 400pt lis....
    Last edited by liero; February 22nd, 2006 at 05:32.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    979 (x8)

You would be suprised.
    Anti-tank is almost never wasted, especially a missile launcher. Not only is it anti-tank (watch out for devilfish or penitent engines), but it is very effectively anti-MEQ, capable of instant-death-ing most independant characters, AND can be used as a blast weapon vs horde armies.

Also, in my opinion, you have waaay too few bodies on the field. Those sniper rifles aren't really all that effective vs anyone with a decent save, and make your scouts very expensive. The points would be better spent on making a larger squad with bolters and a missile launcher.
    I would say that the assault squad is almost certainly too small. 6 men, even with an attached captain, is not going to make a huge difference, mainly because anyone with a brain is going to be concentrating thier fire on them, because they can safely ignore the scouts. It seems to me that you're using the assault squad as a Power Fist/Captain delivery vessel, which is not effective use of points when you have such tight limits.
    Your captain, while cheap, is probably not going to be worthwhile. While he is probably more than a match for anything you will encounter in 400pts, he can be pretty easily shot down, wether he's attached to the assault squad or not. Depending on how you plan on using him, it may well be more useful to trade his points in for more assault marines (you can get 4 more assault marines for his points, which will be far more useful IMO.

Basicaly, the first thing to bear in mind in 400pts is that you need men on the field before you start getting sparkly things (In my usual combat patrol I have 8 assault marines, 6 tactical marines and a rhino, which isn't a whole lot more than you have, but they are a lot more survivable than yours). You also need something that the enemy won't be able to deal with. In my case this is my large, furious charge-ing, powerfisted assault squad, which I know I can ususally keep alive due to decent battlefield cover and the mobile LOS blocking device known as the rhino.

Sorry if I sound a bit preachy, but I've played a LOT of 400pt games recently, and think I'm getting fairly good at making assault marine heavy combat patrols.

Good luck.
    -t.
    minus_t's painting log! Now with: More Wolves and Blue Robots!
    Last updated 09/01/11

"Never before has another man made me want to go out and buy vasaline"~The Paint Monkey

"All I can remeber is Hazard stripes and -T's dusty brushes. ~danjones87

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by minus_t
    Sorry if I sound a bit preachy, but I've played a LOT of 400pt games recently, and think I'm getting fairly good at making assault marine heavy combat patrols.

-t.

nice, could i ask you to look at my list it is also Raven guard which is assaulty.
    what do you think:

landspeeder tornado, HB, AC

6 marines, HB, plasma gun

7 assault marines 215
    vet serg, powerfist, bp
    6 A marines, 2x plasma pistol
    all frag-grenades and furious charge

400 points

i have plasma weapons in it since i mainly play against other marine armies, and they let me kill some of them before i get stuck in. the plasma gun also is on anti-tank duties.

thanks

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    979 (x8)

That looks pretty good to me, it's probably a lot more competitive than my army (but then I don't really go in for really competitive lists, I'm a big fan of fluff over effectiveness).

Things you might want to consider:
    1. Unless you see a lot of I.Cs on the field, you might be better off with a normal power weapon for the assault sarge, because then he gets to strike before normal marines (if that is who you fight most) on the charge, and he won't get killed before he gets the chance to fight back. Of course, this also lessens your anti-vehicle ability, but 2 plasma pistols should have that pretty much covered.
    2. Maybe give the tactical squad a missile launcher instead of the plasma/HB combo, because it is more effective vs. vehicles than the plasma, and MEQs than the HB. However, it will put you at a loss vs. horde armies. If you downgrade the power fist to a power weapon then you can keep the plasma gun AND get a missile launcher.
    3. It probably doesn't need saying, but make sure you keep the LST safe as houses, because they fall pretty easily, and its not nice to loose an 80pt skimmer to a rhino's storm bolter (oh how I laughed. That taught the git.).

These are just suggestions though, the army is absolutely fine as it is.

-t.
    minus_t's painting log! Now with: More Wolves and Blue Robots!
    Last updated 09/01/11

"Never before has another man made me want to go out and buy vasaline"~The Paint Monkey

"All I can remeber is Hazard stripes and -T's dusty brushes. ~danjones87

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks,

i know what you mean about the Tornado it get's blown away every time, i am thinking about replacing it.
    about the powerfist, it is in it because my best friend patrol featurs a codicier librarian with veil of time. i have flattend him around every time.:yes:

i used to have a lot of scouts in it but my friend has 3 Hb ( in his patrol and after one round of shooting it is by by scouts:cry:
    so i moved up to a competative list.

again thanks for the advice

+ Reply to Thread