[2000] all grey knight, first list - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[2000] all grey knight, first list

HQ
    grand master, 4 GK termies = 329

Troops
    9 grey knights, 1 justicar, 2 psycannons=325

Fast attack
    8 grey knights, 1 justicar, 2 psycannons= 300

Heavy support
    GK dreadnaught, TL lascannon, ML=140

-basically the fast attack and termies teleport in, while the troops advance under cover of shrouding, and cover. the dreads provide anti-tank support. hopefully the dreads will take out the tanks before they die, and enough of the GK's will survive to make it to CC.

Procrastination- hard work often pays off over time, but laziness always pays off now.
    Indifference- it takes 43 muscles to frown, and 17 to smile, but none to just sit there with a dumb look on your face.

-Votewar 40K III= 1st place
    -Votewar 40k mini= 2nd place
    -Votewar fantasy 2= 2nd place

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Senior Member Phoenix Guard 1988's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

These squads don't need to have 10 guys in them. 7 or eight is plenty to own in cc

The FAGK squads should almost always be maxed out if you have the points. I'd take out both Psycannons. (you'll maybe fire 2 rounds, other than that, they should be in cc) Besides, they each cost as much as a PAGK and they rarely make up they're points cost. I'd drop them both, add an extra PAGK and equip the squad with an Incinerator.

In general, pure GK armies don't do very well because they are very slow and lack anti-tank support. I suggest that you get some ISTs instead of the Troops PAGKs to give some much-needed support. If you're hell-bent on pure GKs however, the list looks pretty workable.
    1500 years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the Universe
    500 years ago everybody knew the world was flat
    5 minutes ago you knew humans were alone on the planet
    Imagine what you'll know tomorrow

Imagine-John Lennon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

-i just really wanted an army entirely comprised of the galaxy's finest warriors, also i really don't like IST's, or much else in demonhunters besides grey knights...

-i figure it's best not to max the FAGK as they DS, and smaller squads are less likely to die, also the ground squads are maxed, as they need to survive to get to CC, although they probably wont.
    Procrastination- hard work often pays off over time, but laziness always pays off now.
    Indifference- it takes 43 muscles to frown, and 17 to smile, but none to just sit there with a dumb look on your face.

Shrubs for the Blood God Undead Bonzi's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    207 (x5)

Very solid GK list. I myself run a pretty pure GK list with the similar idea of just flooding the feild with GK's. Couple things you could fix though.

1. Lose all those psycannons on your reg GK, your crippling them in close combat by loading them down with cannons. Use the points to put psycannons on your Termies, they can still have their attack profile AND they always fire at 36", even when they move.

2.Switch one GK dread to an assault cannon configuration. It's just as effective against lighter armor and can rip troops apart with rending.

3. Always put extra armor and smoke launcher upgrades on all your vehicles, its a must to keep them alive and fighting.

4. Don't forget that we do indeed have elites like assasins and Inquisitors which when used right can really rip stuff up.

5. You might want to consider taking all those extra points I freed up and mounting an IST squad in a Rhino with some plasma guns maybe and tacking a teleport homer onto their sargent. This will allow pin point teleportation of your fast attack squads and termies rather than risking drift.
    The only honorable options left to we combatants is seppuku or semantics...which amount to the same thing really.
    -Undead Bonzi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

-okay sounds good, drop fast attack psycannon, add psycannons to termies, and put smoke and armor on dreads

-on a side note, what does PAGK stand for, i know FAGK is Fast Attack Grey Knight, but what does the PA stand for

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

786 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by tiaxrulesall
    -okay sounds good, drop fast attack psycannon, add psycannons to termies, and put smoke and armor on dreads
    All good advice. In a pure GK list, no psycannons on anything but terminators. You're spending twice the cost of the model to make him 1/2 as effective. I wouldn't take incinerators, either, for pretty much exactly the same reason. An incinerator on a dread, however, that can be useful.

Change one dreadnought to AC/DCCW for extra punch on the ground. And it is just about as capable of taking out armor -- even AV 14 -- as the TLLC/ML, but only at 1/2 range. However, since you already have 2 long range dreads, you can afford to take one with the AC/DCCW combo. You'll also recover a few points with this change. This is where you might get some decent use out of an incinerator.

With any spare points, make sure you max out your GK squads, especially the FAGKs. They must endure a round of shooting before they are allowed to move and assault, and they must be capable of winning that assault. Any further spare points should be spent on more terminators and/or psycannons for those terminators. Especially for the GM, who has a BS of 5.

Quote Originally Posted by tiaxrulesall
    -on a side note, what does PAGK stand for, i know FAGK is Fast Attack Grey Knight, but what does the PA stand for
    "Power-Armoured Grey Knight".
    Last edited by number6; March 6th, 2006 at 04:50.
    ninjabackhand: point and click, again, really? even after i give you an military term "shock tactic" you still call it point and click.
    RIP Warhammer 40,000: 21 Sep 1998 - 24 May 2014

The Orange Grey Knight MiketehFox's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

196 (x8)

Personnaly, if you want more to make it to CC, walk them all.

Sounds strange?

Basically my walking them all you give your enemy more targets than his heavy weapons can handle (in most cases) and with all the Storm Bolter Shots you'll weaken the amount of standard weapons (Lasgun and Bolters and such) but the time you get there then tear whats left in CC.

By DSing them chances are they won't have take many casualties and when they don come down your more at risk of getting shot alot, enough for you to fail many saves.

This could also helps protect your Dreads, by presenting them with this mass of troops (50 GKs in my case) they have to choose between 2 evils, the 50 GKs that'll slaughter infantry and could kill some tanks (In CC) or the Dread which, while damaging to you tanks, chances are they won't have a big effect on thier infantry. In a sense, either way they lose.

They Choose to shoot the Dreads, more GKs make it to the enemy, shoot the GKs and the Dreads pound Tanks and beat heavy Infantry.

Now, anyone who has seen MY LIST ([2000] Orange Grey Knight List V2.0) notes that I have 3 FAGK squads, some may think automatically "oh he's DSing them, as usual(in reference to other GK lists)" but Really, I have them there simply to deploy last. By being able to Deploy over half my Troops after the enemy has set up about 80-90% of his army I gain the tactical edge over him by deploying my last 30 GKs in a way to best counter his units. This also has a slight psycological effect on him, he deploys expecting much of my Army to DS, but when I deploy those troops he has to rearrange his army in the first turn or 2 in order to deal with my quickly closing GKs, thus making him react to my actions, which is just what you want in many cases!

The AC/DCCW Dread is also anougher place in which the enemy has to make a lose/lose desision, either shoot the Dread, and use less heavy weapons against the TLLC/ML dreads and let more GKLs make it to his lines or not shoot it and let the Dread and the GKs make it to his lines. Extra Armor and Smke Launchers are a must for any Tank I use, even more-so for Dreads IMO.

Now about the HQ, I'm not a fan of using GKTs (Grey Knight Terminators) in a list where you have so littlein the ways of basic troops. Now, Thats just how I play, but look at it this way too. You save alot of points by not using GKTs, enough points that you could max out all squads and give EA and SLs to the Dreads and maybe even a Hunter Killer Missile, which is a Nice way to to make your AC/DCCW Dread useful early game when theres no Tanks in range of the AC.

Can't really think of much more to say.

But just remember, everything I stated here is based on my gaming style, which I'm sure some will say if kinda krazy.

Mike

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

-after reading your list i decided to ditch my own, and just modify yours.

-if you drop all wargear from the grand master you can upgrade the dreads to las/missile, and have some long range anti-tank support

-your definatly right about the GK's, marching them seems much mre logical, it prevents what you currently have on the board from dying.

The Orange Grey Knight MiketehFox's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

196 (x8)

Acutally I prefer having the 3 AC/DCCW Dreads, fits the theme of OPure standard GKs. After all, is no teh Assault Cannon the bigger brother of the Storm Bolter and the Dreadnought Close Combat WEapons just a bigger NFW (kinda)
    plus its that army I want to pull out when it's time to have a good challenge and a laugh at the same time. (who wouldn't laugh about 51 Orange Grey Knights?)

Mike

+ Reply to Thread