Codex Marine chapter army list, please comment on how to improve - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Codex Marine chapter army list, please comment on how to improve

1500 points, friendly.

HQ

Reclusiarch with bolt pistol, crozius arcanum, rosarious, artificer armour (I had points to spare), jump pack, terminator honours.
    141 points

Troops

1 tactical squad with 10 marines, sergeant equiped with terminator honours, bolt pistol and powerfist, one marine equipped with a meltagun. The squad is mounted in a rhino which is equipped with extra armour and smoke launchers.

248 points

2 tactical squads same setup except for having plasmaguns instead of meltaguns

2x248 points

Fast Attack

Assualt Squad of 10 marines sergeant equiped the same as the tactical sergeants. Two marines are equipped with plasma pistols.

260 points

Heavy Support

1 devastator squad of 8 marines four with lascannons.

260 points

1 Whirlwind

85 points

Total 1490 points

Edit: Sorry I forgot to put the points value in the title and don't think I can edit it.

Last edited by Marine_Commander; March 15th, 2006 at 20:47.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Solid list if I do say so myself.

That devastator squad is a HIGH priority target in anyones books, be careful about enemy infiltrators and indirect fire. Other than that all the enemy can do is avoid the firing lanes for this unit.

I don't know, more marines with rhinos are better at rushing your opponent and engaging in CC than say a razorback squad, however, if you were to go to 2000 pts a razorback or 2 with TL lascannons and a squad with lascannon and plasma would be heavy support goodness.

Good luck, looks good
    ...and you will know my name is the lord, when I strike down my vengence upon thee...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    71 (x4)

Nice list

Only thing I would do is the following:

Change rhinos for drop pods on melta squads. saves 56 points.
    Remove vet status and gear from plasma squads as well as 1 marine from each squad. saves saves 90 points
    remove artificer armor from chaplain and add frag grenades. saves 19 points.

You now have 165 points to spare.

Take those points and get 2 LST's. One in each of your fast attack slots.

Now your list is a little different but all in all is more effective.

The dro ppodding squads drop behind armor safely with pods and pop them with melta guns. They thenrun around the board firing the melta gun and charging anything they can to get that pfist swinging.

The rhino squads are now mobile fire support. The plasma gun and 1 bolter can be fired from the top hatch along with the rhinos storm bolter. The point of the squad however is to drive up, disembark and rapid fire your oponent to smitherines.

The LST's provide cover fire and are your jack of all trades unit. It will be left to you whether they should deepstrike (wich is occasionally useful) or start on the table.

Done that way, I cant think of a more well balanced, cost effective force.

Well aside from adding the traights: Cleanse and purify and take the fight to them. those will increase the effectiveness of your tactical squads 10 fold.

Well done.

Cheers Mate!
    Chaosbrynn
    Last edited by Chaosbrynn; March 15th, 2006 at 22:42.
    Mentor of Space Marine Commanders far and wide.

Efficiency VS Point Cost VS Ease Of Use - Your best bets:

1) Chaplain led Assault squad - 2 plasma pistols, powerfisted sergeant

2) 8 man Devastator squad - 4 missile launchers

3) Land Speeder Tornado - HB + AC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How about this

HQ

Reclusiarch with Bolt Pistol, Crozius Arcanum, Frag Grenades, Jump Pack, Rosarius, and Terminator Honours.

122 points

Troops

1 Tactical squad with 10 marines sergeant equpped with terminator honours and powerfist, 1 marine equipped with meltagun, mounted in drop pod.

220 points

1 Tactical squad with 9 marines sergeant equpped with terminator honours and powerfist, 1 marine equipped with meltagun, mounted in drop pod.

205 points

1 tactical squad with 8 marines, 1 marine equiped with plasma gun, mounted in rhino, with extra armour and smoke launchers.

188 points

Fast attack

assault squad same as above.

260 points

land speeder tornado

80 points

land speeder tornado

80 points

Heavy Support

Whirlwind

85 points

Devastator squad same as above

260 points

Total 1500 Points

do you think it would be better to have one squad equipped with a powerfist, or should it be like it is now?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it's already a very good list. i don't think that u need an extra fist. See, ur Dev squad is almost NEVER gonna see CC, so a fist there is moot. As for the Rhino squad, the whole idea of this squad is to rapid-fire in support of the Assault squad, eg. rapid-firing the unit they're about to charge, soften it up a bit. So it's probably not gonna need a fist. Leave the CC to the Assault marines and the tac marines in the pods if u give them bp+CCW w/Take the Fight to Them.
    The one thing i'd like to point out is that the Dev squad acting as a firebase alone is a teeny bit risky. If your opp realizes that there are no shooty tac squads around the expensive Dev squad to act as meat shields and starts pouring the fire on, then 4 bodies are not gonna be enough...and there goes most of ur long-range firepower.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    71 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by chickenpowder
    it's already a very good list. i don't think that u need an extra fist. See, ur Dev squad is almost NEVER gonna see CC, so a fist there is moot. As for the Rhino squad, the whole idea of this squad is to rapid-fire in support of the Assault squad, eg. rapid-firing the unit they're about to charge, soften it up a bit. So it's probably not gonna need a fist. Leave the CC to the Assault marines and the tac marines in the pods if u give them bp+CCW w/Take the Fight to Them.
    The one thing i'd like to point out is that the Dev squad acting as a firebase alone is a teeny bit risky. If your opp realizes that there are no shooty tac squads around the expensive Dev squad to act as meat shields and starts pouring the fire on, then 4 bodies are not gonna be enough...and there goes most of ur long-range firepower.
    He wasnt talking about a fist in the dev squad, and the dev squad costs 260 points, wich means it has 8 men it it. Pay attention.

The listy looks great s it is now. I wouldnt change a think before playtesting it 3 or 4 times.

Cheers Mate!
    Mentor of Space Marine Commanders far and wide.

Efficiency VS Point Cost VS Ease Of Use - Your best bets:

1) Chaplain led Assault squad - 2 plasma pistols, powerfisted sergeant

2) 8 man Devastator squad - 4 missile launchers

3) Land Speeder Tornado - HB + AC

Ghost of LO ForgedInTheFurnaceOfWar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    185 (x8)

1 Tactical squad with 9 marines sergeant equpped with terminator honours and powerfist, 1 marine equipped with meltagun, mounted in drop pod.
    Add a marine here.

1 tactical squad with 8 marines, 1 marine equiped with plasma gun, mounted in rhino, with extra armour and smoke launchers.

188 points
    Ditch the rihno, and take a third pod.

Get a sgt, give him a powerfist, add 2 more, swap the plasma for melta.

Meltas are far more effective when podded.

Whirlwind

85 points
    Unless you playing lots of orcs and nids (and even then) I dont think this is needed. However, its handy against eldar, which gives a lot of players problems.

Now, your list has picked up a lot of anti tank - 3 melta guns dropping behind enemy lines, is serious anti tank power. So, id recommend downgrading the lascannons to MLs. You can kill just about the same stuff, youll sacrofice firepower against 2+ enemies, but those are rare, and your melta guns/powerfists sgt will quickly near there points against termintors or units like them.

Anyway, nice list.

Tactically, keep your assault squad and LST out of harms way untill you get a drop pod in, keep them withen striking range, but not in firing lines.

This way, (hopefully youll get 2 squads of marines in on turn 2) you an launch changes on a squad with your Assault squad, while the LSTs thin enemy troop strenth, then your infantry can decide to either pop a tank, or rapid fire into the enemy.

+ Reply to Thread