Librarium Online Forums banner

My very first draft on 1500 IG army, input needed.

403 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  hardcastle 
#1 ·
So heres my very first attempt on a roster. Im going for big unitcount but wonder if ive been stupid or forgot something :)

Unnamed1500 Pts - IG: Cadians Army
-----
0 Command Platoon (HQ) @ 65 Pts

4 Command Squad @ [65] Pts
Lasguns (x4); Master Vox

1 Junior Officer @ [40] Pts
Close combat Weapon; Laspistol
-----

0 Infantry Platoon (Troops) @ 265 Pts

Lascannon; Lasguns (x3)

9 Infantry Squad @ [100] Pts
Lascannon; Lasguns; Meltagun; Vox Caster

1 Sergeant @ [6] Pts
Lasgun

1 Sergeant @ [6] Pts
Lasgun
-----

0 Infantry Platoon (Troops) @ 245 Pts

Lascannon; Lasguns (x3)

9 Infantry Squad @ [90] Pts
Lascannon; Lasguns; Vox Caster

1 Sergeant @ [6] Pts
Lasgun

1 Sergeant @ [6] Pts
Lasgun
-----

Lascannon; Lasguns (x3)

1 Sergeant @ [6] Pts
Lasgun

1 Sergeant @ [6] Pts
Lasgun
-----

0 Infantry Platoon (Troops) @ 220 Pts

4 Command Squad @ [50] Pts
Heavy Bolter; Lasguns (x3)

9 Infantry Squad @ [85] Pts
Heavy Bolter; Lasguns; Meltagun; Vox Caster

1 Sergeant @ [6] Pts
Lasgun

1 Sergeant @ [6] Pts
Lasgun

-----
0 Infantry Platoon (Troops) @ 200 Pts

9 Infantry Squad @ [75] Pts
Heavy Bolter; Lasguns; Vox Caster

1 Sergeant @ [6] Pts
Lasgun

1 Sergeant @ [6] Pts
Lasgun
-----

1 Leman Russ Battle Tank (Heavy Support) @ 155 Pts
Battle Cannon; Hull Lascannon

-----

1 Basilisk (Heavy Support) @ 100 Pts
Earthshaker Cannon; Hull Heavy Bolter

Models in Army: 132

Total Army Cost: 1495

See less See more
#2 ·
Ok now, pretty good list for a first draft. I'm going to go through this unit by unit and nit pick any changes I think you should make. Let's begin.

0 Command Platoon (HQ) @ 65 Pts

Lasguns (x4); Master Vox

Close combat Weapon; Laspistol
Ok this is the biggest problem I could see. If you're going to pay the points for a master vox it's practically a requirement to give your Junior Officer an Honorifica Imperialis, or make him a Senior Officer so that the leadership he doles out is worth something.

0 Infantry Platoon (Troops) @ 265 Pts

Lascannon; Lasguns (x3)

1 Sergeant @ [6] Pts
Lasgun

1 Sergeant @ [6] Pts
Lasgun
-----

Lascannon; Lasguns (x3)

1 Sergeant @ [6] Pts
Lasgun

1 Sergeant @ [6] Pts
Lasgun
-----

Lascannon; Lasguns (x3)

1 Sergeant @ [6] Pts
Lasgun

1 Sergeant @ [6] Pts
Lasgun
Ok on to troops. I really don't see too many problems here, however because those meltaguns in the first platoon are so short ranged it might be useful to trade them out for plasma guns or grenade launchers. Also it seems that you have a pretty large amount of lascannons, maybe you should switch some out for missile launchers or autocannons to save up some points for your Officer and Basilisk (see lower).

0 Infantry Platoon (Troops) @ 220 Pts

1 Sergeant @ [6] Pts
Lasgun

1 Sergeant @ [6] Pts
Lasgun

-----
0 Infantry Platoon (Troops) @ 200 Pts

1 Sergeant @ [6] Pts
Lasgun

1 Sergeant @ [6] Pts
Lasgun
Once more, the Meltagun is very short ranged and not likely to get more than one or two shots off in a game and the Plasma gun or Grenade launcher would probably be better.

1 Leman Russ Battle Tank (Heavy Support) @ 155 Pts
Battle Cannon; Hull Lascannon
This is pure preference but I would give it the Hull Heavy Bolter so it can focus more on killing infantry and because I find I shoot the hull weapon so rarely I want the cheapest one possible.

1 Basilisk (Heavy Support) @ 100 Pts
Earthshaker Cannon; Hull Heavy Bolter
Indirect Fire. Unless you're playing on a rather small board indirect fire is invaluable because it keeps the Basilisk out of sight and the line of fire.

#3 ·
Thanks man you helped alot. Yeah I thought about other heavys, but since i havnt played the game for 10years and never with IG Im not really sure whats the best mix to bring to the battlefield is. Ofc I forgot about Honorifica (read alot about it at this forum), and switching meltaguns for plasmas I understand, but why nadelaunchers? Are they good? :)

#4 ·
Grenade Launchers aren't bad when put in squads with heavy bolters as it basically gets you another high strength shot. Great for killing light infantry just like the heavy bolter.
When paired with a Lascannon they aren't quite as effective, as generally a Lascannon if more suited to popping armour. They CAN perform double duty if the squad with the Lascannon is hitting a transport or other light vehicle, however a plasma gun would be a better special choice in this situation.

I'd take all of your Lascannons out of the Command Squads. They are simply too big a target for such a small squad, instead put your heavy bolters here. Pointswise you lose less if the squad is wiped out, and they also look a lot less threatening to your opponent, so should be way down on the targetting priority list.

In order to conserve a few points and max out all your squads with speical weapons, I'd also drop your fifth infantry platoon, and make 2 of your other infantry platoons 3 squads rather than the minimum 2 squad size they are currently. The points you save on the command squad you removed from the 5th platoon should cover the points for about the other 6 specials you need. If you are still short on points, a couple of Lascannons can easily be changed to missile launchers further saving you points for more specials (like plasma guns).

#5 ·
MTG Guru said:
Grenade Launchers aren't bad when put in squads with heavy bolters as it basically gets you another high strength shot. Great for killing light infantry just like the heavy bolter.
When paired with a Lascannon they aren't quite as effective, as generally a Lascannon if more suited to popping armour. They CAN perform double duty if the squad with the Lascannon is hitting a transport or other light vehicle, however a plasma gun would be a better special choice in this situation.

I'd take all of your Lascannons out of the Command Squads. They are simply too big a target for such a small squad, instead put your heavy bolters here. Pointswise you lose less if the squad is wiped out, and they also look a lot less threatening to your opponent, so should be way down on the targetting priority list.

In order to conserve a few points and max out all your squads with speical weapons, I'd also drop your fifth infantry platoon, and make 2 of your other infantry platoons 3 squads rather than the minimum 2 squad size they are currently. The points you save on the command squad you removed from the 5th platoon should cover the points for about the other 6 specials you need. If you are still short on points, a couple of Lascannons can easily be changed to missile launchers further saving you points for more specials (like plasma guns).
/agree

and i dont recommend putting melta guns in line squads, the range is WAY to short. Use plasma or if you have to nady launchers!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.