1850 Mechanized Ultramarines - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1850 Mechanized Ultramarines

I'm thinking about getting back into 40k after about a year of not playing and so I've been monkeying around with army builder trying to find something that appeals to me. I think this is a somewhat novel take on the ultramarines, and I'm wondering what your thoughts are on it.

HQ: 713 points
    Marneus Calgar - 185
    4 Honor Guard - 120
    Ancient - 80
    Chapter Champion - 75
    Mounted in Landraider w/ smoke launchers - 253

Elites: 163 points
    Venerable Dreadnought, Lascannon, Tank Hunters, Smoke, Extra Armor - 163

Troops: 579 points
    Tactical squad w/ 3 bolters, one honor guard, one sergeant w/ terminator honors, bolt pistol and power fist, mounted in rhino w/ extra armor and smoke - 193 points

Tactical squad w/ 3 bolters, one honor guard, one sergeant w/ terminator honors, bolt pistol and power fist, mounted in rhino w/ extra armor and smoke - 193 points

Heavy Support: 391 points
    Predator Annihilator w/ Lascannon sponsons, extra armor and smoke

Predator Annihilator w/ Lascannon sponsons, extra armor and smoke

Whirlwind

Total: 1846 points

I know this is pretty unconventional and rather light on troops, but I think it would be alot of fun to play. Any ideas on how to work on it, or if you think it's completely hopeless let me know that too

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

LO Oldie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x3)

swap the land raider for a land raider crusader. remove one of the predators.... 2 pred's a land raider, and a whirlwind is a bit overkill.

Give the venerable dreadnought a missile launcher.

Use the extra points from the removed predator and beef up the tac squads.

also, consider swapping the sponson lascannons for heavy bolters. (read chaosbrynns sponson tactica for reasons)
    2000pts Orks 4-2-1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The ordanance is great for armies that stand at tables edge and shoot it out but thats not at all what you are doing.

For a mobile force such as this I dont see why Marneus is needed and I really think the LR is WAY over priced.

Could rethink the HQ (get them a rhino to boot) and drop the wirlwind, get a 3rd Pred and 4th and 5th TAC squad to add #s that are mobile. 700+ for HQ is not reasonable.

6 rhinos, 3 preds and Dread may be expensive but you can save on models since you dont need the total to play.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You've got 22 marines in 1850 points...

That number should be at least twice as high.. Lose some bling and get more numbers..

Yes, it looks fun to play, but not in the long run.. I too used to make super-characterful lists that was really fun to play or go up against because they were not at all standard lists. But I lost every game I played, and that does get boring after a while..

Now I make lists with one or two characterful units in them and tailor the rest of the list to make them work on the battlefield without having my army depending only on them to work, it's kind of combining the good of two worlds..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You really need more troops. You think that Calgar would take to the field with only a few of his men :wacko: . I'm guessing you really want to keep the HQ the way it is, cool. Let's see what we can do. Oh and since you are rushing your enemy in transports, why use a whirlwind?

How's this? Have the codex now....

HQ - 686 pts
    Marneus Calgar
    3 Honor Guard
    Ancient
    Chapter Champion
    Mounted in Landraider w/ extra armour and searchlight
    // You'll need all the lascannons you can get, so avoid the LRC. Add extra armour, why not give it all the help it can get? Searchlight would be good for other shooty units since this will be pressing forward (night fight missions). Remove one honor guard so squad is even.

Elites: 257 pts
    Veteran Squad w/ 6 BP & CCW, one with power weapon, one with powerfist, all with furious charge mounted in rhino w/ extra armor, smoke and hunter killer missile
    // No need for drednaught will 3 HS tanks. You need more men advancing.

Troops: 476 pts
    Tactical squad w/ 8 bolters, one honor guard, one sergeant BP & CCW, mounted in rhino w/ extra armor, smoke and hunter killer missile - 238 pts
    // No need for vet. sgt with powerfist when you have honor guard, one or the other.

Tactical squad w/ 8 bolters, one honor guard, one sergeant BP & CCW, mounted in rhino w/ extra armor, smoke and hunter killer missile - 238 pts
    // No need for vet. sgt with powerfist when you have honor guard, one or the other.

Heavy Support: 435 pts
    - Predator Annihilator w/ Lascannon sponsons, extra armor - 150 pts
    - Predator Destructor w/ HB sponsons, extra armor, smoke and searchlight - 119 pts
    - Vindicator, extra armour, smoke, power of the machine spirit - 163 pts
    // Reasoning: Vindicator and Destructor move up the field with the LR. This will force your enemy to decide what to kill first. Vindicator once it's up there can kill tons, Destructor will waste troops all the way up the field, LR will get some shots off at HS and is a thorn in his side. Annihilator will sit back and get 3 lascannon shots per turn hopefully

So that's about 1854 pts maybe I think. 34 men as listed, 8 vehicles, a lot of big guns and mobility. This looks like it would be fun to play with. There are lots of things you can do to modify this list, go for it, whatever suits you and your style of play...

cheers
    Last edited by white_consulate; March 23rd, 2006 at 21:14.
    ...and you will know my name is the lord, when I strike down my vengence upon thee...

+ Reply to Thread