1500pt DH List - All-comers - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

1500pt DH List - All-comers

HQ
    GM Retinue - 303
    GM w/ Mastercrafted NFW
    3x GKT

Elite
    =][= Retinue and Assassin - 203
    Inquisitor w/ Auspex, bolt pistol and CCW
    3x Servitor w/ HB
    2x Sage
    1x Mystic

Callidus Assassin

Troops – 178
    IST Squad 1 - 128
    IST x5 w/ 2x Melta
    Rhino w/ x-armour and smoke

IST Squad 2 – 50
    IST x5

Fast Attack
    GK Squad Gerhard - 250
    Justicar
    FAGK x8

GK Squad Farrell - 275
    Justicar
    FAGK x9

Heavy Support – 266
    Dread w/ DCCW, Assault Cannon, x armour and smoke
    Dread w/ TLLC, ML, x armour and smoke

There are a couple of ways I want this to run;
    First is the Smurfy tactic; pound his vehicles and troops from afar before deep-striking all the GKs behind his lines so's he gets all "wtf 42 bolter shots all of a sudden", then pop the Callidus and use it to supprt the GM retinue. The CCW dreadnought and IST suicide squad can sit in front of my big guns and hopefully hold off anything that tries to assault them, the meltas and TLLC dread will bust armour. If they're shooty I can swap the Callidus for an Eversor and let him walk through some heavy weapons squads; with all the min-maxing that Smurf players tend to do the Eversor will have a field day. Nobody escapes t3h neuro-gauntlet!

The second is against swarms, I'll leave the GM retinue in reserve, deploy the 2 GK squads as footsloggers and march them with the AC dread. Hopefully between 40-odd bolter rounds, assault cannon, 3 heavy bolters and whatever else I should have enough shots per turn to decimate the swarms badly enough that my GKs can mop them up in assaults. If it gets sticky I can get the IST Rhinos to come and help out with the firepower, try and hammer some of the better units with the =][= retinue and TLLC dread, and pop the Callidus to support the GM retinue when he comes in (although her template weapon might be good against swarms especially with it hitting against Ld rather than T, I need a think about that).

Against big mechanised armies I can see myself coming unstuck pretty badly; DSing GKs aren't going to be able to move fast enough to catch the tanks in assaults and won't be much help unless I start fitting in psycannons and trying to drop them behind vehicles (S6 vs Back Armour is usually a decent match-up), the Assault Cannon might not have enough punch to kill the bigger tanks, and the Rhino is likely going to get mashed pretty early on. In that situation I might try and fit in 2 multi-melta servitors in the =][= retinue and squeeze a Land Raider in there somewhere. Don't ask me where though ^^.

What do you reckon? Aside from the glaring cluelessness when it comes to mechanised forces I reckon I'll do okay. I also want to leave some scope for an allied WH expansion when I finally get the gumption to go up to 2000pt games, probably going to try and get the WH to do all my anti-armour and some CC support, then leave the mid-strength firepower and shots per turn to my ISTs.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

786 (x8)

Actually, this list is quite similar to the one I use, so I like it! The biggest difference is that I have a unit of Seraphim as my Fast Attack choice, I've bunched all my ISTs into one unit, and I just footslog my one unit of GKs. It works out fairly well, actually. I do have trouble against heavily mechanized armies -- just as you surmise you would, too -- but if I can manage to pop just one or two if the biggest baddies, I've learned that I stand a very good chance of winning. The tanks to worry about are the ones that can wipe out troops in a hurry. Like, say, Leman Russes with battle cannons. Those that just have one or two high strength weapons (e.g., razorbacks) aren't such a bother.

Anyway, the only real advice I have is to bunch up your ISTs into one squad and footslog one unit of GKs. You probably intend to just suicide those 5 ISTs anyway, but you'll be surprised what can be accomplished with a full squad. Staying power is worthwhile. Also, footslogging GKs can be very deadly. Don't underestimate the usefulness of 20 stormbolter shots each turn as they advance. At first I thought any non-deep striking GKs was a waste of their potential. But then I played them that way.
    ninjabackhand: point and click, again, really? even after i give you an military term "shock tactic" you still call it point and click.
    RIP Warhammer 40,000: 21 Sep 1998 - 24 May 2014

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

Thanks for the feedback; the lack of mid-range troop-killing firepower was a bit of a worry to be honest, I may actually try the footslogging thing. I really dislike 10-man IST squads; of all the units I've used I find the full IST squads are one of the worst, although given that they need to stay disembarked for a full turn if they want to bust tanks a few extra wounds wouldn't go amiss ^^.

EDIT:
    OK I've had a rethink, only a little one though so I'm not reposting the list. I've dumped the 5-man IST squad and replaced them with one of the GK squads from an FA slot; not only does this mean a half-decent amount of shots per turn from the start (yay!) but also means I can give my GM another Terminator .
    Last edited by Heathen; March 28th, 2006 at 16:35.

+ Reply to Thread