1500pts Ravenwing army - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1500pts Ravenwing army

I have not played the Ravenwing in too long a time and i might need some help with some ideas in how to use them...

HQ:
    Master of the Ravenwing on Landspeeder 260 Pts
    Extra armour

Master of sanctity (Chaplain) 180Pts
    Bike, Artificer Armour, Blades of Reason, Melta bombs

Troops:
    Bike Squadron (4)bikes 271 Pts
    Flamer, Melta gun
    Veteran Sergeant (1)
    power weapon
    Attack bike (1)
    Muti-melta

Bike Squadron (4)bikes 267 Pts
    PLasma gun
    Veteran Sergeant (1)
    Power weapon, Auspex
    Attack bike (1)
    Muti-melta

PLasma gun
    Veteran Sergeant (1)
    Power weapon, Auspex
    Attack bike (1)
    Muti-melta

Fast Attack:
    Land Speeder Squadron (3)speeders 255 Pts
    3 Tornado land speeders
    (3) Extra armour

It came out to be 1500pts even and all of my bikes are stubborn. so any help would be welcome.

All religion, my friend is simply evolved out of fraud, greed, imagination and poetry.
    - Edgar Allen Poe

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    104 (x4)

To start with, you should get more LSTs. 9 plus the master would be ideal. They are really that good. His all-seeing eye ability makes it much more worthwhile.

BTW you can't give the master extra armour.

Now, bikes. They are most effective as one of the following:

5 man squad, 2x meltagun, veteren sergeant w/ powerfist, attack bike with multi melta, 320 pts

3 man squad, 2x plasma guns, 132 pts

I suggest you go into the article section and read chaosbyrnn's bike and LST tacticas.

Anyway, cheers!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    71 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by Deathwing Master
    I have not played the Ravenwing in too long a time and i might need some help with some ideas in how to use them...
    Well, your in the right place. Lets see what youve got.....

Master of the Ravenwing on Landspeeder 260 Pts
    Extra armour
    The master on speeder is key for a Ravenwing force. He increases the effectiveness of your LST's 10 fold. Unfortunately speeders can not get vehicle upgrades doubly so for the master as he is a special character.

Master of sanctity (Chaplain) 180Pts
    Bike, Artificer Armour, Blades of Reason, Melta bombs
    Ravenwing is always outnumbered as it is. In 1500 I wouldnt field 2 HQ's. You really need those points for more models. Drop this one.

Troops:
    Bike Squadron (4)bikes 271 Pts
    Flamer, Melta gun
    Veteran Sergeant (1)
    power weapon
    Attack bike (1)
    Muti-melta

PLasma gun
    Veteran Sergeant (1)
    Power weapon, Auspex
    Attack bike (1)
    Muti-melta

PLasma gun
    Veteran Sergeant (1)
    Power weapon, Auspex
    Attack bike (1)
    Muti-melta
    Ok some things to take into consideration when building bike squads:

Each squad should have as many bikes as pheasably possible. This helps them retain numbers for their primary purpose wich I will get to in a second.

Maxed bike squads are expensive. As such, you need to give them exactly what they need for their job and nothing else. This will save you points while allowing you to be as effective as possible. Things like multi meltas on attack bikes arent necessary. A HB will do far better in most cases.

The main purpose, or rather, the main advantage of a bike squad is their ability to bring both shooting and assault power to an enemy squad in a single turn, and do it quickly. The squad Ezekiel detailed with the melta guns and fist is generally your best bet. I wouldnt go with the multi melta however. Its superfluous. That squad can quicklly deliver death to anything between its shooting and assault phases.

In any case, because their main purpose is to shot and assault in the same turn, you want to stay away from plasma guns as they will keep you from assaulting if you fire them. Better to have a melta gun as it is assualt but will still do the job necessary. Also, it sucks losing such an expensive biker to a gets hot roll.

Lastly, you dont want them to be stubborn. If they are beaten in an assault, you WANT them to fall back. This will aloow them to rinse and repeat their primary purpose. With stubborn, they will take extra wounds instead of falling back. Extra wounds that ignore their 5 toughness.

I understand you probably added the auspexes to use up extra points, but they are useless.

Fast Attack:
    Land Speeder Squadron (3)speeders 255 Pts
    3 Tornado land speeders
    (3) Extra armour
    Ok, again, speeders cant take vehicle upgrades. Ravenwings main strength is in its LST speeders. You should be fielding more of them. A normal LST speeder is arguably the best unit in the SM codex. Ravenwing speeders with their 6+ invulnerable save for no extra point cost are even better. Their efficiency is even better when coupled with the master on speeder.

In general you want to split your speeders into as many squads as possible. This keeps them from being downed by a single volley of fire. IE: if they are in 3 seperate squads, a devastator squad will only be able to kill one in a turn where as if they were in the same squad, all 3 could go down to the same salvo. In a ravenwing list however we run into the problem that e want as many speeders in a squad to make maximum use of the masters all seeing eye ability. So we have 2 conflicting ideas that are tactically good. Whats the only way to deal with this? Field 3 squads of 3 speeders. Honestly, they are worth it. I play a 10 speeder Ravenwing list, it is phenominal.

Lastly, you should really consider attack bikes as heavy support. 3 with HB's or 1 with a multi melta. People generally ignore them as a squad of 3HB's (and 3 TL bolters) with a 2+ invulnerable save really isnt worth shooting at. Same goes for a single attack bike with a multi melta with a 2+ invulnerable save. It may be worth it for you to take your attack bikes and make them heavy instead of in your squads and then max out the normal bikers in your squad.

Or.....

This is a tricky little tyactic that I only advise for vets. Its easy to lose contorl of and costs a good ammount of points, but it can really put a nasty look on your oponents face.

Ravenwing Screwing with mixed armor rules:

Mixed armor rules state that you use the armor save that is in majority before going to the minority. It is NOT like majority tougheness where the squad takes on the majority toughness and uses that, unfortunately. In any case, this can still be used to our advantage with a squad like so:

1 attached IC with artificer armor
    Sergeant with artificer armor
    Attack bike
    2 normal bike marines.

This squad has 3 2+ saves, and 2 3+ saves. When you boost, they all turn invulnerable. Because the 2+ is in majority you test using it first. In effect, you have give your turbo boosting bike squads 2+ invulnerable saves.

Now, it is easy to lose the balance of these squads, and this tactic is most effective at dealing with low volume of fire, high strength shooting attacks (as overflow will have you testing on the 3+ saves). Basically those things that would ignore the extra point of toughness and autokill your bikes. In any case, because it uses an IC it shouldnt be used in small games (like 1500) but its a tactic people should be aware of. Its NOT for beginners as there are many rules to betaken into account and if you dont know what your doing you could have just spent a LOT of points for nothing. Still, it deserved to be mentioned. Id also like to note only DA can do this as everyone elses attack bikes have a 3+ save.
    Mentor of Space Marine Commanders far and wide.

Efficiency VS Point Cost VS Ease Of Use - Your best bets:

1) Chaplain led Assault squad - 2 plasma pistols, powerfisted sergeant

2) 8 man Devastator squad - 4 missile launchers

3) Land Speeder Tornado - HB + AC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    77 (x2)

I take it you're playing with old Ravenwing rules? New rules would pretty much point out a lot of your stuff isn't legal or possible. Just saying...:shifty:

+ Reply to Thread