1500 pt. vanilla drop pod marine army (noob) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1500 pt. vanilla drop pod marine army (noob)

Hello everyone! I am returning to 40k after three years, and I am trying to build an effective CC/short range shooty drop pod army. Tell me what you think.

Before my three year break, I fielded a infantry-heavy Black Templars army. One game I played against a tank-heavy IG army left a huge impression on me. My valiant Marines formed up ranks and heroically charged the enemy line... only to be completely obliterated by massed tank fire by the third turn :cry:. I swore then that I would do everything I could to prevent this from happening again.

I like the idea of drop pods letting me deploy my marines up close and personal right off the bat. I like to have a balanced mix of CC and shooty units to give me as many choices as I can get at any one time. To that purpose, I created a chapter with Trust Your Battle Brothers and Suffer Not the Works of Heretics.

HQ:

Epistolary: 153 pts.
    Force Weapon, Storm bolter, psychic hood, Terminator Armor, Psychic Power: fear of the Darkness, Tank Hunter

Terminator Command Squad: 252 pts.
    4 Terminators, including 1x Sergeant with a Power Weapon and Storm Bolter, 1x Assault Cannon, 1x Cyclone missile launcher, 1x Chainfist, all with tank hunters and mounted in a drop pod.

Elites:

Dreadnought: 180 pts.
    Dreadnought CCW, Heavy Flamer, Assault Cannon, Venerable, Tank Hunter, Extra Armor, Drop Pod

Troops:

Tactical Squad: 241 pts.
    9 Space Marines, including 1x Sergeant with Terminator Honors, Power fist, and bolt pistol, 1x Melta gun, all with True Grit, Counter-assault, and mounted in a drop pod

9 Space Marines, including 1x Sergeant with Terminator Honors, Power fist, and bolt pistol, 1x Melta gun, all with True Grit, Counter-assault, and mounted in a drop pod

Fast Attack:

Assault Squad: 232 pts.
    8 Space Marines, including 1x Sergeant with Power Fist and Bolt Pistol, and 2x Plasma pistols

Heavy Support:

Devastator Squad: 200 pts.
    5 Space Marines, 4x Missile Launchers, all with Tank Hunters and mounted in a drop pod

Grand Total: 1499 pts.

I am a little worried that I am not fielding enough bodies for a drop pod army, and that I don't have enough anti-tank. Any suggetions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Senior Member DominionWeaponsGroup's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    -66 (x0)

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenwing87
    Hello everyone! I am returning to 40k after three years, and I am trying to build an effective CC/short range shooty drop pod army. Tell me what you think.

Before my three year break, I fielded a infantry-heavy Black Templars army. One game I played against a tank-heavy IG army left a huge impression on me. My valiant Marines formed up ranks and heroically charged the enemy line... only to be completely obliterated by massed tank fire by the third turn :cry:. I swore then that I would do everything I could to prevent this from happening again.

I like the idea of drop pods letting me deploy my marines up close and personal right off the bat. I like to have a balanced mix of CC and shooty units to give me as many choices as I can get at any one time. To that purpose, I created a chapter with Trust Your Battle Brothers and Suffer Not the Works of Heretics.

HQ:

Epistolary: 153 pts.
    Force Weapon, Storm bolter, psychic hood, Terminator Armor, Psychic Power: fear of the Darkness, Tank Hunter

Terminator Command Squad: 252 pts.
    4 Terminators, including 1x Sergeant with a Power Weapon and Storm Bolter, 1x Assault Cannon, 1x Cyclone missile launcher, 1x Chainfist, all with tank hunters and mounted in a drop pod.
    This is pretty solid, but you should swap the missile for another assault cannon and get rid of tank hunter. battlewagon bitz will sell you individual asault cannons

Elites:

Dreadnought: 180 pts.
    Dreadnought CCW, Heavy Flamer, Assault Cannon, Venerable, Tank Hunter, Extra Armor, Drop Pod
    Tank hunter is not worth it. if you get a rend you dont need it and if you dont rend it doesnt do any good. venerable can be worth it if you have a few extra points to burn, but its not necessary. finally, this guy needs smoke launchers

Troops:

I like true grit marines in drop-pods, though others dont, but you should probably get cleanse and purify instead of Suffer Not the Works of Heretics also max out these squads and bring more when you cut the other stuff.[/QUOTE]

Fast Attack:

Assault Squad: 232 pts.
    8 Space Marines, including 1x Sergeant with Power Fist and Bolt Pistol, and 2x Plasma pistols
    bad, everything should be in pods, otherwise they will just get shot to pieces in the first turn.

Heavy Support:

Devastator Squad: 200 pts.
    5 Space Marines, 4x Missile Launchers, all with Tank Hunters and mounted in a drop pod
    This is also bad, dont put heavy weapons in drop pods, and certainly dont put devs in them. you should have plenty of anti-tank, particularly if you go to cleanse and purify.

If i were going to re-write this list it would be the librarian and his terminators along with 4 ten man tac squads with powerfist and 2 melta/plasma all in drop pods. this is plenty of anti-tank and should do fine against most lists.
    Take life seriously, its lethal.

Tactical Avante-Gard <E!_Mance>'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    108 (x6)

The assault marines would be ok if they drop in the battlefield too, but otherwise I agree.
    Post your army lists in the ARMY LIST section! Not that hard!
    48W/7D/11L

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I honestly never thought of going that route. Thanks!

+ Reply to Thread