500 Points Divergent SM, Tourney - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

500 Points Divergent SM, Tourney

Hi All

I have an upcoming 500 point tourney, with some modest prizes. I would really like to win, and I want you to comment on the list. I can buy anything new, so the models themselves don't matter. Feel free to rip it to shreds, it's one of my first SM lists.

500 Points

Traits
    Cleanse and Purify
    The take no allies one....It honestly doesn't matter which one I take

HQ
    Reclusiarch
    Terminator Honours
    Bolt Pistol-101 points

Troops
    Squad 1
    5 Marines with Bolters
    2 Marines with Plasma Guns
    Veteran Sargeant with Power fist and Bolter
    175 Points

Squad 2 (Reclusiarch joins this squad)
    6 Marines with Bolters
    2 Marines with Plasma Guns
    145 Points

Fast Attack
    Land Speeder Tornado
    Assault Cannon
    80 Points

Total: 501 Points

My general plan is because of the small dense terrain size table is to fly around finding cover with the LST, taking potshots at small heavy weapon squads/weak troops (most of my opponents are Tau/Eldar, Go assault cannon!) it can also secure table quarters or objectives if it needs to, while the other two squads advance under cover and engage the enemy at close range, rapid firing and then charging if need be. I was considering cutting a marine and running a Codicier with Fury of the Ancients, or maybe Fear of the Darkness, let me know what you think.

Thanks in advance,

-Johnny

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    50 (x2)

Ok, first thing, is it cool with the tourney organizers that you go over 500 points? I know, I know, it's only 1 point, but some places simply won't allow it so I thought I'd mention it...

Love your HQ. If you could give him a jump pack, things would get really interesting at this level of game. Seems like in 500 point games I've played in, mobility plays a much more important role than usual, so if you could somehow live with not running two plasma guns in those tac squads to free up the points for a jump pack and frag grenades, it's something to think about.

Also, about those plasma guns... I know what you're thinking and you're right- this level of game, they're wicked on troops and very likely to take out any vehicles that do show up in this games of this size, but be careful taking two of them in an 8 man squad. As far as I know, if the squad rapid fires, the plasmagun guys do too, so you're looking at possibly taking 1/4 casualties just from overheats. Although you get saves, rapid firing makes the whole "Gets Hot!" process that much nastier.

Survivability is such an issue in small games that I would think about taking maybe one PG in each squad instead of two (and spending the points on a jump pack, etc. like I mentioned before), but hey, fortune favors the bold, so what do I know?

In short, love the HQ, love the LST. Tornados really cause problems for folks in small games like this. Guns galore, mobility in spades, and it can take objectives. That thing will earn it's points back and then some for you. Just remember to move it more than 6" every turn so your opponent can only glance it.

All in all, very good list. You ought to do well. Good luck!
    We all carry on,
    When our brothers in arms are gone.
    So raise your glass high
    For tomorrow we die,
    And return from the ashes you call.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

List

Hello

Thanks for the reply. As to your first question, no the 1 pt does not really matter, even though it is crucial (I need that bolt pistol!). To the jump pack question, it would be nice to have that sort of mobility, but because of my small numbers, I wanted to stress staying together to support each other, and to bring a lot of power to one area (the LST being the exception here) so the jumpack reclusiarch would distance himself from the rest of the battle line, leaving him open for attack. Also, with him alone, he cannot give his litanies of hate to the squad, something that is important!

Ah yes, the frag grenades. I wanted to fit them in, but the 502 points just seemed wrong, plus I don't want to make the tourney organizer angry, trying to push my limit. One of your main points in plasma guns, and at first I agreed with you on the marine burning himself, but with the 1 in 6 chance of that happening, coupled with the fact that he gets an armor save (or so the rulebook has led me to believe) the chances are pretty slim. And also, who doesn't like to live dangerously?

Also, what do you think of the codicier/librarian idea? Good, or is the extra marine and reclusiarch worth it? What do you think?

Thanks in advance,
    -Johnny

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    41 (x1)

Since you're pulling out all the stops and playing to win, I'll give you some different advice than maybe I would otherwise.

Jump-packing Chaplains and LSTs will rule small games. Not very sportsmanlike, IMO, but relatively cheap and effective.

For the troops, I'd bulk out on numbers. If there's lots of terrain and cover, I'd consider cutting your squads into 3x5-man units. It adds flexibility, and since you shouldn't be taking as much fire, you probably won't miss large squads. Keep the plasma guns if you want, but 1 per squad is enough. If you want to assault, consider using melta guns instead. When there's lots of cover, flamers can also be very effective.

I like to use 3x5-man squads and go 2 Plasma Guns and a Missile Launcher. The other points are usually made up by an assault squad, or scouts and commander, and I like to work in a basic dreadnaught if it's not Patrol rules.

Good luck. :yes:
    4 bionic bitz for Og "Da Boss" Grotstompa
    40 grots stomped
    400 boyz killed in action
    4000 light years of "Ere we go, Ere we go, Ere we Go" without a break
    $40K spent on GW

I'm a SM commander with about 20 service studs in my head.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    50 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyVietnam
    Hello

Thanks for the reply. As to your first question, no the 1 pt does not really matter, even though it is crucial (I need that bolt pistol!). To the jump pack question, it would be nice to have that sort of mobility, but because of my small numbers, I wanted to stress staying together to support each other, and to bring a lot of power to one area (the LST being the exception here) so the jumpack reclusiarch would distance himself from the rest of the battle line, leaving him open for attack. Also, with him alone, he cannot give his litanies of hate to the squad, something that is important!
    Point taken.

Ah yes, the frag grenades. I wanted to fit them in, but the 502 points just seemed wrong, plus I don't want to make the tourney organizer angry, trying to push my limit. One of your main points in plasma guns, and at first I agreed with you on the marine burning himself, but with the 1 in 6 chance of that happening, coupled with the fact that he gets an armor save (or so the rulebook has led me to believe) the chances are pretty slim. And also, who doesn't like to live dangerously?
    First of all, good on ya for playing within a point of the limits. I played in an combat patrol tourney and at this level, a couple of points here and there really do make a difference. After we all showed up, it was learned that one of the store employees had been telling folks there was a "five point buffer", but the rest of the employees didn't know, so a bunch of us turned up with 497 or 500 right on the nose, and three guys turned up at 505. Man, in a 500 point game, that can be significant!

Anyways, I hear ya on the plasmagun thing. Just remember, when rapid firing though, you get hot on a 1 or a 2, so it isn't really a 1 in 6 chance anymore. There's some debate on whether or not a model can choose to "double-tap" or not when in range. I'd ask your tourney guys what they say, because while 1 in 6 is pretty slim odds considering you still get an armor save, 1 in 3 (because of rapid firing) is enough to maybe change your mind. If you understand them and decide to take the chance- good luck! I'm just saying I've gotten tripped up by stuff like that in the past and wished someone would've brought it to my attention.

Here again though, I'm not one of those people that's going to tell you to trashcan your entire list and play the one I play- it isn't my style. Ultimately, its your decision, just consider the rules about rapid firing gets hot weapons before you start playing in your first tourney.

Also, what do you think of the codicier/librarian idea? Good, or is the extra marine and reclusiarch worth it? What do you think?

Thanks in advance,
    -Johnny

At this level, I'd stick with the reclusiarch. I think in general chaplains are better "out of the box" so to speak, with librarians becoming more effective the more points you sink into them. At this level, you don't really have enough points to throw around to make a librarian more effective than a chaplain I don't think.
    Last edited by DEADMARSH; April 19th, 2006 at 03:22.
    We all carry on,
    When our brothers in arms are gone.
    So raise your glass high
    For tomorrow we die,
    And return from the ashes you call.

+ Reply to Thread