HOW's this look for my SECOND 1500pt fun build? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

HOW's this look for my SECOND 1500pt fun build?

HQ- 306pts
    Brother captain w/ a psycannon
    -melta bombs and frag
    retinue of 4 termies and a psycannon
    -DS'ing

Elites- 317pts
    6 terminators w/ a psycannon
    -(maybe a hammer?)
    -frag
    DS'ing

Troops- 592
    10 PAGK w/ 1 incinerator
    -frag
    -melta

10 PAGK w/ 1 incinerator
    -frag
    -melta
    -tele homer

Heavy- 285
    1 GK dread
    -ML, TLC

1 GK dread
    -TLC, CCW, incinerator

total= 1500 pts

tear this list apart guys, its the only way i'm gonna learn. also, thanks for everyones help on the last

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    103 (x8)

HQ- 306pts
    -melta bombs and frag
    -DS'ing

Elites- 317pts
    -(maybe a hammer?)
    -frag
    DS'ing
    Same comment as before - way too many GKT compared to the number of PA/FAGK.

Meltabombs and grenades of all types are illegal for models in terminator armor.

Even if they were legal, you can't jusy buy them for a whole unit unless the unit's entry says you can (it looks like you tried this with the Elite squad, but that could just be a failure of formating).

Troops- 592
    10 PAGK w/ 1 incinerator
    -frag
    -melta

10 PAGK w/ 1 incinerator
    -frag
    -melta
    -tele homer
    Those grenades & meltabombs can only go on the Justicars. Incinerators on PAGK are a waste - how often will units that move so slow get to use a short ranged template weapon? Go with psycannons in marching units, if anything. The comments on the previous list's 5 man GK squads with 2 psycannons each weren't criticizing the psycannons so much as they were commenting on how small the units were.

Heavy- 285
    1 GK dread
    -ML, TLC

1 GK dread
    -TLC, CCW, incinerator
    Assault Cannon > TLLC on a Dreadnought with a CCW. By a lot. You'll be spending the game close to the enemy to use that CCW, so why not take a multi-shot short ranged gun? And it even will penetrate high AV statistically more often than a TLLC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well if you are gonna go for 6 Terminators instead of 8-10 Fast Attack PAGK, then I'd take a LRC as it gives you the option to transport a squad them. Yet again, a Dread isn't necesarily superior or inferior to it in power or lastability. At least in this case you LRC also has a tactical option by cutting LOS and being a reliable troop deliverer.
    You should have a hammer in every Terminator squad and your footsloggers could use PsyCannons.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by maniac9230
    HQ- 306pts
    -melta bombs and frag
    -DS'ing
    This is really a personal preference, but I 'd never take a Brother-Captain as a HQ, especially not for Deep-Striking and never with less than a 5-man retinue. Dump all wargear on these models and go for a Grand Master instead of the Brother Captain, it'll come out roughly the same points cost (give or take... erm.... 20 points.... ahem). If you're Deep Striking then the primary concern is that this unit be tooled up for CC, and to that end a Mastercrafted weapon and Icon of the Just for the Grand Master wouldn't be a bad idea.

Elites- 317pts
    -(maybe a hammer?)
    -frag
    DS'ing
    Dump. Remove with extreme prejudice. As mEGA has said, 5 GKTs is more than enough in a 1500pt list, especially if one of them is a Grand Master.

Troops- 592
    10 PAGK w/ 1 incinerator
    -frag
    -melta

10 PAGK w/ 1 incinerator
    -frag
    -melta
    -tele homer
    Remove the Incinerators; again, as mEGA said, footslogging infantry will get little to no use out of them, especially if you run these two units close together (because nobody is going to be stupid enough to try and get close to a 10-man GK squad supported by another 10-man GK squad). Teleport Homer on the Justicar is a nice idea, allows him to call down the Terminators and nobody likes Terminators being called down on them.

Heavy- 285
    1 GK dread
    -ML, TLC

1 GK dread
    -TLC, CCW, incinerator
    Go for the assault cannon on your CCW dread; to reiterate what mEGA said, if he's got a powerfist AND a template weapon, both built for getting close, what's the point of having a long-range main gun? There's nothing wrong with an assault cannon; it hurts troops a lot and can deal with armour surprisingly well. As for options, at the very least these both need extra armour and if you do change to a AC/ CCW build on the 2nd dread I'd also advocate smoke launchers. The TLLC dread may not need them but the AC/CCW, who will basically be rolling up with your infantry, almost certainly will. If you're only taking one CCW dread then I'd leave the incinerator out; he's not likely to get close enough to use it, as they usually end up immobilised long before they can get in template range of anything.

The points you've saved from the Elite Terminators alone are enough to get you a fully tooled up Land Raider, a 3rd 10-man GK squad, or 2 more tooled-up AC/ CCW dreads in addition to making the changes I suggested, all of which are far better options than the Terminator squad.

You can afford to buy Extra Armour, Smoke, a pintle Storm Bolter and Blessed Ammo for your Land Raider, turning it into basically a lascannon firing, heavy bolter shooting fortress able to plough through infantry, armour and big beasties alike. You could even make it a Crusader; that way, IIRC (no Codex handy) one of your GK squads can get into it and do a rush and dump in the enemy's lines, or even possibly the GM retinue if they land too early (although mounting Termies in it will turn the Land Raider into Public Enemy Number One, so it's risky).

A 3rd PAGK squad gives you 20 more shots and S6 CC attacks per turn, and can be placed in a Fast Attack slot and deployed normally. Basically, the 3rd squad gives you a lot more tactical flexibility and a few points left over for psycannons if you really feel you need them (you probably won't but in footslogging GK squads the odd one can't hurt).

The extra 2 dreads are what I'd go for, largely because in my experience the venerable old sods never let you down. Moving one AC/ CCW dread up with your infantry provides them not only with some heavy weapon-style covering fire to whittle down any troublesome CC squads (such as Stealers or Incubi) that are making a beeline for them, but also acts as a nice damage tank. People don't like Grey Knights, but they also don't like big scary things with punchy arms and nasty guns on them, and given smoke and extra armour it's going to take a lot of punishment before it eventually gets immobilised or blown up. One dreadnought will draw fire for a turn or two before it gets hurt; three dreadnoughts, which you can afford to fully tool up with all the damage-reducin' fixin's, is going to do your opponent's head in. Stealers, assault squads, incubi, banshees, none of them will get a look in with 3 assault cannons and 3 (extra) storm bolters blazing away at them, plus if you put them on the GK's flank they can block LoS from any likely heavy weapons squads. You may also have enough points left over to give 2 of them Incinerators, which may not be a bad idea overall since at least one of them is likely to get into flaming range, and last of all assault cannons work pretty well against armour because of the Rending

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you guys are making a lot of sense and thanks for making me aware of not being able to take bombs on my terminators. i need to do some revising.... *scuttles off to army builder*

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Take away some termies please!
    If you can make 1 dread tllc/ml and the other ac/ccw,
    Add 1 TH and SS termie in your hq take away the elites, maybe have one plain PAGK and one with a psycaonnon as the incinerator will be of no use other than cityfight. For me, with the extra points I ALWAYS go for another PAGK squad and stormies or a nice LRC (the scond pick is usually what i go for, but against DE/Eldar/Heavy IG i take the first choice)
    The gold grey knight man. These are hardy men who like cheese.

Ever thought of how cheese was found?:
    Brother captain
    `` I say sah, the milk in this barrel smells foul!``

Grand master:
    ``Oooohhh, give it a go!``

''Quack, damn you!''
    -Jamie heinamen, Mythbusters.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

This isn't right. Allow me to help you out.

Quote Originally Posted by mustardknight
    I ALWAYS go for another [...] nice LRC
    That's better I refuse to believe you EVER pick anything other than a Land Raider Why would you not take one against the DE though, they're not really well equipped to deal with big monsters like Land Raiders or LRCs, and their armour saves would mostly be ignored by the heavy bolter/ assault cannon alone . Add on some Blessed Ammunition and the Archon's dead if he/ she comes within shooting range (2+ invulnerable save schminvulnerable save).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Er, dark lances?

But yeah, who is this guy who's replaced mustard? He put a battle report up of him *not* using a land raider of any sort, too...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Miril
    But yeah, who is this guy who's replaced mustard? He put a battle report up of him *not* using a land raider of any sort, too...
    Lies. I refuse to believe it.

+ Reply to Thread