1500 pts "Desert Foxes" Imperial Guard - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1500 pts "Desert Foxes" Imperial Guard

1500 pts Desert Foxes Imperial Guard

Doctrines:
    Close Order Drill

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

HQ โ€“ 86 pts

Command Squad โ€“ 86 pts
    Senior Officer Fritz Ferhoven, power weapon, 4 guardsmen, meltagun, plasma gun and flame thrower.

Troops โ€“ 953 pts

Infantry Platoon Omicron โ€“ 250 pts

Command Group - 75 pts
    Junior officer, 4 guardsmen, missile launcher, 2 grenade launchers.

Infantry Squad #1 โ€“ 80 pts
    Sergeant, heavy bolter, grenade launcher.

Infantry Squad #2 โ€“ 95 pts
    Sergeant, lascannon, grenade launcher.

Infantry Platoon Epsilon โ€“ 231 pts

Command Group - 75 pts

Infantry Squad #1 โ€“ 76 pts
    Sergeant, heavy bolter, flame thrower.

Infantry Squad #2 โ€“ 80 pts

Infantry Platoon Omega โ€“ 241 pts

Command Group - 85 pts
    Junior officer, 4 guardsmen, lascannon, 2 grenade launchers.

Infantry Platoon Theta โ€“ 231 pts

Command Group - 75 pts

Sergeant, heavy bolter, grenade launcher

Fast Attack โ€“ 138 pts

Hellhound โ€“ 138 pts
    Extra armour, rough terrain modification, track guards, smoke launchers.

Heavy Support โ€“ 323 pts

Leman Russ Battle Tank -180 pts
    Hull mounted lascannon, side sponson heavy bolters, track guards, extra armour.

Basilisk โ€“ 143 pts
    Extra armour, indirect fire, track guards and smoke launchers.

I plan to use my 3 squads with flamers and heavy bolters, command squad with my hellhound to go up and do as much damage as possible. If the mission has zones to take i would use these units plus a few more to take objectives. The tank and men will be used to slow the enemy so the main portion may fire off as many heavy weapons shots as possible. Then in combat my units would use Close Order Drill so they would stand a chance against other armies in close combat.

tell me what you think any comments would be helpful

thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by highborne
    1500 pts Desert Foxes Imperial Guard

Doctrines:
    Close Order Drill
    oki doki, not using quite all your doctrine points then?
    HQ โ€“ 86 pts
    Command Squad โ€“ 86 pts
    Senior Officer Fritz Ferhoven, power weapon, 4 guardsmen, meltagun, plasma gun and flame thrower.
    Gah,. ok sort out the special weapons here, decide if the squad is anti infantry or anti tank, and equip it that way (ie make all special weapons the same or similar), consider making the SO a JO with honorifica, consider, given this unit it clearly gonna be in the thick of it, giving the officer some wargear and possible adding a standard bearer or a medic
    Infantry Platoon Omicron โ€“ 250 pts

Command Group - 75 pts
    ok better weapons fit, the GL still aint ideal but will live with for the moment, consider wargear, for example a bolter, for the officer
    Infantry Squad #1 โ€“ 80 pts

Infantry Squad #2 โ€“ 95 pts
    Sergeant, lascannon, grenade launcher.
    ok ish, you are gonna lack moral though
    Infantry Platoon Epsilon โ€“ 231 pts

Command Group - 75 pts

ditch the flamer it is no use to you

Infantry Platoon Omega โ€“ 241 pts

Command Group - 85 pts
    Junior officer, 4 guardsmen, lascannon, 2 grenade launchers.

as above, ditch the flamer
    Infantry Platoon Theta โ€“ 231 pts

Command Group - 75 pts

Sergeant, heavy bolter, grenade launcher
    ditto
    Hellhound โ€“ 138 pts
    Extra armour, rough terrain modification, track guards, smoke launchers.
    probably lose the track guard and RT mods unless you are playing cityfight
    Leman Russ Battle Tank -180 pts
    Hull mounted lascannon, side sponson heavy bolters, track guards, extra armour.
    OK, prefer HB all round, and ditch the trach guards
    [/quote]Basilisk โ€“ 143 pts
    Extra armour, indirect fire, track guards and smoke launchers.
    [/quote] If this has ID fire, then it shouldnt be getting shot at at all, ditch all the upgrades

I plan to use my 3 squads with flamers and heavy bolters, command squad with my hellhound to go up and do as much damage as possible.
    no moving squads with Heavy weapons needs to be avoided where possible, IG squads should stand and shoot, flamers are useless, most assault troops will dance right past your flamer range
    If the mission has zones to take i would use these units plus a few more to take objectives.
    to do this you will have to move most of the game, making the heavy weapons pointless and it will bring you into combat much quicker where you will get slaughtered, if you want to capture quaters, use things like rough riders, AF squads and even the hellhound, but dont expect them to take and hold it, rather use them in the last turn or 2 to move up
    The tank and men will be used to slow the enemy so the main portion may fire off as many heavy weapons shots as possible.
    HoW? how will the tank and men slow them down and increase your shooting? far more likely your opponent will get to charge them (adding 6 inches to the move), masacre them and then use the mascre move to get even further, you are effectively catapulting his assault units into your fire line, even if this dont happen you wont be able to shoot him because he will be locked in combat with these guys.
    Then in combat my units would use Close Order Drill so they would stand a chance against other armies in close combat.
    forget it, you dont stand a chance with about 3/4s of armies regardless of the COD, I would rather have ID and try and keep your firing units standing

Appologies if that sounds a little rough, what you have makes sense from a modern warfare standpoint, but IG dont play like that in the game
    Everything you have been told is a lie!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cheredanine pretty much nailed it all in his post, but some other things I'd like to add:

1. Your infantry platoon command squad weapon loadout would be better off with a heavy bolter and two grenade launchers, rather than the missile launcher/lascannon set up you have at the moment. Basically, put the cheap heavy weapon in the small squad, and put the expensive one in the larger line squads. That way it is harder for your enemy to actually knock out the more valuable heavy weapon.

2. You have plenty of doctrine points available, so I would suggest taking drop troops, as its free and you dont have to use it unless you want to. It would help in cleanse missions too as your force isn't very mobile, and this doctrine could let you potentialy land a platoon into a quarter to claim it. I'd also strongly recommend you take Iron Discipline on all your officers, it combines well with close order drill and is especially good for saving small command squads from fleeing off the table. Its also very cheap.

3. I dont really like any of the squads with flamers. The difference in range between a flamer and a heavy weapon means 99% of the time, the flamer will not be firing. If you want to use flamers however, say you already have the models or some such, I would put them all into one infantry platoon command squad and, with the drop troops doctrine, use this squad as a throw away flamer of doom suicide squad. This is about the only way you will be able to get your flamers into range reliably, without fear of them being assaulted. You will be at the mercy of the scatter dice, but, no guts, no glory. Use this squad aggressively, dont expect too much from them, and be pleased when they kill entire squads in one round of flaming. Even marines have cause to fear 4 flamer templates if they are bunched up and not expecting it.

4. Only thing I'll say that goes against Cheredanine's advice is regarding the medic in the HQ squad. I'm not a fan of medics unless packing 3 plasma guns, and even then, vets with 3 plasma guns would be far better and cheaper too. So, standard yes, medic no.

Hope that helps.
    What Guardsmen dont want to hear...
    "Ok boys, time to fix bayonets!"

+ Reply to Thread