750 pt Nightbringer (shooty army) vs Black Templars in Friendly Play - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

750 pt Nightbringer (shooty army) vs Black Templars in Friendly Play

Alright, I'm looking for a way that my shooty army can stand against a CC army like the one my Black Templar friend will be bringing at me. When rating my army, keep in mind that we play on a billiards table, keeping approx. 25% terrain and my BT friend will be fielding an elite squad of Sword Brethren and at least 2 assault squads in addition to the troop choices.

Nightbringers
    Trust Your Battle Brothers
    We Stand Alone

(What would be a good second trait to compliment this army, do you think?)

HQ - 80

Captain - Storm Bolter/PW

TROOPS - 380

Red Company - 5 SM w/ TYBB
    Blue Company - 5 SM w/ TYBB
    Green Company - 5 SM, 1 ML, all w/ TYBB
    Orange Company - 5 SM, 1 ML, all w/ TYBB

FAST ATTACK - 145

Black Company - 5 SM Assault Squd, 2 PP, 1 Termie Honours, 1 PW

HEAVY SUPPORT - 145

Predator Annihilator w/ Lascannon Side Sponsons

---------

Is it possible for only some in a squad to have a trait like TYBB or do all of them in the squad have to have it if any of them do? I think its the second, but just wanted to make sure.

TYBB is a cool trait and it will help counter the CC aspect of things. My assault squad can help protect my lines or quite possibly harrass some of his guys if my contacts with his assault squads go favorably. My biggest worry is not his assault squads, actually, it is his infiltrating sword brethren. They are really nasty. Plus he has taken the preffered enemy vow (Space Marines). So that hurts.

Let me know what you think. As most will notice, this is a revamp of an army I've discussed before. But its quite different than before in its makeup.

And as I asked before, what do you think would be a good second trait to compliment this army makeup and purpose?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    186 (x8)

Captain - Storm Bolter/PW
    I'm going to go with the generic advice many members give out for this one: consider swapping the captain for a chappy. He's gets more for the same points, but your army loses the leadership bonus in return.

Red Company - 5 SM w/ TYBB
    Blue Company - 5 SM w/ TYBB
    Green Company - 5 SM, 1 ML, all w/ TYBB
    Orange Company - 5 SM, 1 ML, all w/ TYBB
    Why have four half strength squads when you can two full strength ones? They allow you to fire at two more targets but with half the effect of the larger squads. It is again only advice since four squads do offer for more chances to do damage against two squads.

Black Company - 5 SM Assault Squd, 2 PP, 1 Termie Honours, 1 PW
    If you can find a way to get some more points then you might want to swap the power weapon for a power fist. Your opponent will already be hitting you better, might as well give your own squads as many advantages as they can get.

Predator Annihilator w/ Lascannon Side Sponsons
    Three lascannon shots is downright evil if your opponents squads aren't all that big. Though if you go with the suggestion of taking the powerfist then you might want to look at using a predator destructor. An extra shot at the cost of definately killing an enemy model is the downside, but you alread have to stay still to fire all the guns anyway so your already running risks for it.

I would suggest taking either see but dont be seen or no mercy, no respite. See but dont be seen will allow you to be a real pest and infiltrate those tac-squads of yours while no mercy, no respite will let your tac and assault squads take furious charge. Besides the points you dont have to spend on either trait, no mercy, no respite is also from a different trait and will require you to take a major drawback in addition to your minor one.

Take my love, take my land, take me to where I cannot stand; I don't care I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.

"The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time."- Lorgar
    Member of the Fluff Masters Clan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    41 (x1)

This is real easy. You've got a good list considering what he's bringing at you. But here's a couple of tweaks that will do nicely:

Drop the lascannon sponsons for HB's, and the plasma pistols from the assault squad. Put plasma guns (or meltas) in the 2 Tac squads that lack heavy weapons, and upgrade the Assault sgt to a Power Fist.

Same points, but will do better in both shooting and CC in the scenarios in which you are playing. 6 heavy bolter shots are as good or better than 2 lascannon shots against standard marines, and you can fire them on the move. The plasma guns are more firepower for your tacticals with the range of bolters. The PF is going to do more dammage in CC than the plasma pistols and power sword. So, you've got everything to gain and nothing (IMO) to lose.

Good luck!
    4 bionic bitz for Og "Da Boss" Grotstompa
    40 grots stomped
    400 boyz killed in action
    4000 light years of "Ere we go, Ere we go, Ere we Go" without a break
    $40K spent on GW

I'm a SM commander with about 20 service studs in my head.

+ Reply to Thread