Black Templars, 1000 Points - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    One Vision, One Purpose! X-Slash-X's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    66 (x1)

Black Templars, 1000 Points

Hey all,
    this is my first post here, so go easy on me, lol. I've posted this list on other boards on the web, and due to a lack of replies have decided to post it here. ^_^
    This is my Black Templar 1000 Point "Shooty" list. I know it isn't Fluffy, but I'm a total n00b to 40k in general, so I'd like to start out using mainly guns, as oposed to lots of Assault. :wacko:

.:.The List.:.

HQ
    Chaplain
    Master of Sanctity w/ Terminator Honours, Crozius Arcanum, Rosarius, Bolt Pistol, Crusader Seals, Holy Orb of Antioch

The Emperor’s Champion
    The Emperor’s Champion w/ Terminator Honours, Black Sword, Bolt Pistol, Armour of Faith, Crusader Seals, Frag Grenades
    Accept any Challenge, no matter the Odds

Elites
    Dreadnought
    Venerable Dreadnought w/ Dreadnought Close Combat Weapon, Storm Bolter, Assault Cannon, Extra Armour, Smoke Launchers, Furious Charge

Troops
    5 Man Crusader Squad (Ranged - Missile Launcher)
    4X Initiate w/ Bolter
    1X Initiate w/ Missile Launcher

5 Man Crusader Squad (Ranged - Missile Launcher)
    4X Initiate w/ Bolter
    1X Initiate w/ Missile Launcher

6 Man Crusader Squad (Ranged - Heavy Bolter)
    4X Initiate w/ Bolter
    1X Initiate w/ Plasma Gun
    1X Initiate w/ Heavy Bolter

6 Man Crusader Squad (Ranged - Heavy Bolter)
    4X Initiate w/ Bolter
    1X Initiate w/ Plasma Gun
    1X Initiate w/ Heavy Bolter

10 Man Crusader Squad (Assault)
    8X Initiate w/ Bolt Pistol, Close Combat Weapon
    1X Initiate w/ Meltagun
    1X Initiate w/ Power Fist, Bolt Pistol

Total = 998 Points

.:.The Enemy.:.

My main opponent at this point in time is a Khorne player who loves to gound my boyz into the dirt each time we play.
    My opponent's 500pt list featured two squads of Berzerkers led by Kharn the Betrayer (A tough nut to crack, I hate him with a burning passion ().
    His new list will likely feature the same and possibly more Berzerkers. He will also be bringing along a Defiler and maybe a Daemon Prince. I've also seen him use Bikes in other matches. I don't know any definates yet.
    I hope I can take him this time.

.:.Tactica.:.

All squads will spread out in coherency, as the Defiler will make short work of them otherwise. (Damn Blast Template, grr)
    Both the Chaplain and the Emperor's Champion will join the CC Squad, boosting it's H2H prowess. This squad remains to the side as a Counter-Assault unit.
    Missile Launcher Squads find good firing positions, and wait for the enemy to advance.
    The Dreadnought Also stands to the side with the CC Squad, ready to advance on the nearest Berzerker scum.
    Heavy Bolter/Plasma squads stand anywhere that has a decent firing lane, ready to fill the enemy with bolter shells and red-hot death.

All squads that shoot will aim at the Daemon Prince (If my friend brings it), or otherwise will just riddle the Berzerkers/Bikers with bullets.
    Once the enemy's lines have been thinned, the CC squad will step up, followed by the Dreadnought, to eliminate the Defiler in H2H. (That is, if the Missile Launcher squads havn't already accomplished this).

Opinions? Any help would be appreciated.

X-Slash-X

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bring a Crusader.. Khorne dont like Crusaders.

He will have a though time trying to kill it while it blast him to pieces.. and your assultsquad will have a great way of assulting.
    Make sure that you kill his bikers if they carry a Meltagun or shoot & charge his prince before it comes too close.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

66 (x1)

The Problem with bringing a Crusader is,
    1) I Don't have the $95 to spend on one (I live in Australia, hence the high pricetag)
    and
    2) It removes a significant chunk from my current list. I'm not sure a Crusader will cover for the loss of at least 10 warm bodies

Any other suggestions?

X-Slash-X
    ----]00[-------]00[-------]00[----

Ghost of LO ForgedInTheFurnaceOfWar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    185 (x8)

I cant understand why a player would take black templars can create a shooty list.

Actually, i cant understand why a player would take BTs at all, they are way worse then they once where.

Your special rules about you jumping forward i believe deny you the ability to shoot heavy weapons.

Thus, i recommend starting over, the back bone which you have created your army around is a twig, stressed to its limit.

Either rebuild the army with nilla marines and traits to be shooting, or pick up dark angles and also be shooty.

That or rethink BTs to be assaulty (however BTs are just horrible all over anyway, so no matter the course, you will be weak in both shooting and assault, however you can be better at assault then shooting.....)

If you like the BT style, i suggest space wolves, the army list very far off, and they make way better use of there rules.

Or nilla marines, with CC traiths.

If your looking to beat Korn, youll need nilla marine shooting or ravenwing. If you want to beat them in assault, blood angles are your only hope, (one hell of a hope) no other space marine army can ravial korn in assault.

Thus shooting is the easier way to take them down.

Mass MLs + assault cannons should do it

Good Luck.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually, i cant understand why a player would take BTs at all, they are way worse then they once where.
    Can't you, then you must be a bit dull then. Black templar colour scheme is awsome as well as their special rules. The champion is a bargain fotr points + vows make a big difference to your army. were had no 'h' in it btw

Your special rules about you jumping forward i believe deny you the ability to shoot heavy weapons.
    You believed wrong. The moivement uid in your opponents turn so there is no dissadvantage. Infact there is an advantage.

There is no reason why a black templar list won't be able to take down a strong korn one. Though I do recommend assault squad led by chap with jump pack

I'd pack in as many lascannons and plasma guns as you can into your crusader squads (missile launbchers are ok but ;lascannons are better) For your big CC squad, replace as many initiates with CCW + Bolt pistol with neophytes. There is not much difference in CC and they are nearly 1/2 the price.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

66 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by ForgedInTheFurnaceOfWar
    I cant understand why a player would take black templars can create a shooty list.
    Maybe because my opponent is someone who plays "Khorne", aka Masters of Close Combat. There is no hope in hell that an assault list can take down Khorne.

Well, as Evil_Eye has stated, there are many things good about them. I just "can't understand" why YOU have a problem with them. Perhaps this stems from a recent and/or consistant losses to a Black Templar player, hmm?

Maybe so, but to other sqauds, it is a great advantage. Less ground to cover on the next turn, IMHO. And besides, the Righteous Zeal move that makes my troops jump forward occur on "the enemy's shooting phase", so I can still fire the Heavy Weapons on my turn.

Thus, i recommend starting over, the back bone which you have created your army around is a twig, stressed to its limit.
    I didn't come here to have my list torn apart bitterly and told to "start over". I came to have my list criticized and "helpful" suggestions given. If I wanted another list, I would have posted it in another thread.

Either rebuild the army with nilla marines and traits to be shooting, or pick up dark angles and also be shooty.
    Rebuild? I think not. Modify, I can do that. I do collect Vanilla Marines as well, but my current goal is to use Black Templars. I'm not looking for a shooty army, but a list that can include shooty elements if I want it to. (Which is exactly what I have done with this list.)

That or rethink BTs to be assaulty (however BTs are just horrible all over anyway, so no matter the course, you will be weak in both shooting and assault, however you can be better at assault then shooting.....)
    Again, a bitter and utterly useless response. I'm seeing a lack of depth in your responses, other than "I hate Black Templars".

If you like the BT style, i suggest space wolves, the army list very far off, and they make way better use of there rules.
    I don't like Space Wolves. I like Black Templars. That is why I made "this" list around my chosen army. End of discussion.

Or nilla marines, with CC traiths.
    For your information, I do have a Vanilla list that utilizes CC Traits. But I decided to go with Black Templars. Respect my army-choosing decision, or don't comment in a thread about it.

If your looking to beat Korn, youll need nilla marine shooting or ravenwing. If you want to beat them in assault, blood angles are your only hope, (one hell of a hope) no other space marine army can ravial korn in assault.
    Let me explain something. I "have" beaten my Khorne opponent before with a "more" assault-based list of Black Templars, on more than one occasion. And before you say "he must not be very good at Khorne then", I can tell you that he is one of the better players in my area, and has won quite a few tournements with no losses.

Thus shooting is the easier way to take them down.

Mass MLs + assault cannons should do it
    I know that shooting is the easier way to take them down, hence why I created this list. I have beaten him before with an assault list, so I wanted to try a list that could shoot, and maybe end the game quicker than if I had assaulted.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Eye
    There is no reason why a black templar list won't be able to take down a strong korn one. Though I do recommend assault squad led by chap with jump pack
    My previous list included a Chaplain and Assault Squad, they worked well. Before I finalized this list, it did include an Assault Squad led by a Jump Pack Chaplain. It was too many points though, and I thought that they could be used elsewhere for more shooty army elements.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Eye
    I'd pack in as many lascannons and plasma guns as you can into your crusader squads (missile launbchers are ok but ;lascannons are better) For your big CC squad, replace as many initiates with CCW + Bolt pistol with neophytes. There is not much difference in CC and they are nearly 1/2 the price.
    I have a problem with Lascannons: I don't own any. I'm trying not to buy anything new for this list. The same applies to Scouts/Neophytes. I'd rather just modify this list using things I already have. I'll add a list of available models later.

BTW, thanks for the defence Evil_Eye.:yes:

X-Slash-X
    Last edited by X-Slash-X; May 6th, 2006 at 03:30.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

66 (x1)

Sorry to Double-Post, but here is the list of the models available to me (Incuding the ones in the above Army List):

.:.30-50 Standard Tactical Marines, configured with either Bolters or BP/CCW. I also have the following Heavy/Special Weapons:
    -Missile Launcher (Many)
    -Meltagun (Many)
    -Plasma Gun (Many)
    -Flamer (Many)
    -Power Fists (Many)
    -Power Weapon (Many)
    -Heavy Bolter (2)
    -Plasma Cannon (1)
    .:. 10 Assault Marines, configured with the following:
    -Plasma Pistol(2)
    -Power Fist (1)
    .:. Components to make a Command Squad/Commanders:
    -Apothecary (3)
    -Standard Bearer (1)
    -Champion (3)
    -Sergeant/Veteran Sergeant (Many)
    -Chaplain(1)
    -Marshal/Castellan/Master/Captain(Many)
    -Emperor's Champion(1)
    .:. Dreadnought, configured with CCW/Storm Bolter and Assault Cannon
    .:. Components to Make a Rhino OR Razorback
    .:. A Terminator Squad, comprising of:
    -Terminator Sergeant w/ Powerweapon and Storm Bolter
    -Terminator w/ Storm Bolter and Chainfist (2)
    -Terminator w/ Assault Cannon and Power Fist (1)
    -Terminator w/ Power Fist and either Cyclone ML/Heavy Flamer (Not completely made)

Any suggestions that can use what I have?

X-Slash-X
    Last edited by X-Slash-X; May 7th, 2006 at 13:46.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    116 (x5)

Here is a suggestion without radically changing your list. Drop the 2 5-man crusader squads and add your other dreadnought and beef up the other crusader squads. This way the 2 dreads can hold up berzerker squads in assault, essentially making two berzerkers squads useless. You can then focus on the bike/DP/berzerkers with concentrated firepower from the other crusader squads.
    Xbox Gamertag: x Helbrecht x

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

66 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Helbrecht
    Here is a suggestion without radically changing your list. Drop the 2 5-man crusader squads and add your other dreadnought and beef up the other crusader squads. This way the 2 dreads can hold up berzerker squads in assault, essentially making two berzerkers squads useless. You can then focus on the bike/DP/berzerkers with concentrated firepower from the other crusader squads.
    While this would work, the problem is, I don't have 2 Dreadnoughts. I should have made it clearer in the previous post: The above list of models is "Everything" i have, including what the Army-List uses. Sorry

I'm considering a few things about my list, but keep the suggestions coming.

X-Slash-X

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The champion is a bargain fotr points
    No, compared to the other characters hes very limited with only 3 attacks and the fact that he cant have a retinue (bad in escalation and prohibits droppod) or get a bike/jump back.

I know that shooting is the easier way to take them down, hence why I created this list. I have beaten him before with an assault list, so I wanted to try a list that could shoot, and maybe end the game quicker than if I had assaulted.
    You dont have to be shooty against Khorne (a small squad with plasmacannon is almost enough), just a little bit more shooty than your oponent so that you can force him comming your way. That would make your army the counter-charging one and greatly tip the favor you way.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast