Space Marines (1000pts) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Space Marines (1000pts)

Hey guys, I've decided to start a 40k army after playing fantasy for a few years. I chose Space Marines because my friend, who plays Witchhunters, says it's the best army for a newcomer. He helped me build this list:

Librarian (Epistolary) on Bike 230pts
    -Lightning Claws, Artificer Armor, Terminator Honours, Bionics
    -Might of Heroes

Dreadnought 115pts
    -Assault Cannon, Missile Launcher

8 Tactical Marines 140pts
    -Missile Launcher, Plasma Gun

5 Scout Marines 95pts
    -4 Snipers, 1 Missile Launcher

Land Speeder Tornado 80pts
    -Assault Cannon, Heavy Bolter

8 Devastator Marines 200pts
    -4 Missile Launchers

Total: 1000pts

First of all, my friend said something about my Librarian on bike "superboosting" and gaining a ward save. Could someone explain this fully to me? (my friend just left town for a week)

Second, how does this look? Is it geared enough towards learning the game or should I change some units around? My friend just said this was a good army.

Thanx alot!!!

Most Annoying Things Ever:

3) Having your Land Raider Crusader destroyed by a Missile Launcher first turn with a 6 to hit, 6 to glance, and 6 to destroy.

2) Chaos Warriors having the exact same statline as a Bretonnian Hero.

1) Getting shot in the head with the Sniper Rifle in Halo 2 when you're just about to lunge with the sword.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, lets see here. It looks like you've got most of your army geared to shooting a good start for a new player.

Quote Originally Posted by Peach
    Hey guys, I've decided to start a 40k army after playing fantasy for a few years. I chose Space Marines because my friend, who plays Witchhunters, says it's the best army for a newcomer. He helped me build this list:

Librarian (Epistolary) on Bike 230pts
    -Lightning Claws, Artificer Armor, Terminator Honours, Bionics
    -Might of Heroes
    The Librarian on a bike is a great unit but you should ditch the Lightning claws and keep his Force Weapon. I'm not sure if anyone told you this but if you wound anything with a Force weapon and pass a psychic test the target explodes no matter how many wounds it has, very handy for multiwound models.
    Also, consider taking Fury of the Ancents or Fear of the Darkness. Both work wonders for a Librarian on a bike. Turboboosting along the side of your enemy's lines and unleashing a towering, flaming monster of pure psychic energy against your enemies or making them run off the board in fear can give you a real advantage.

Dreadnought 115pts
    -Assault Cannon, Missile Launcher
    Dreadnoughts are allways an excelent choice in a 1000 point army and my personal favorite next to bikes. What you may consider with this one though is to drop the Missle launcher and take the Close Combat weapon instead. Since you've got Misslelaunchers in your Tac and Dev squads already, it won't be much of a loss and you'll gain a valuable close combat unit to take care of anything that gets to your lines throught the fire your marines are putting out.

A good static shooty squad, no problems here.

Same as above.

5 Scout Marines 95pts
    -4 Snipers, 1 Missile Launcher
    Ah scouts, a very good and very cheap addition to your army. I don't see any problems here. Just remember to keep them out of enemy fire, the 4+ armor save won't save them for long in combat or under fire.

Land Speeder Tornado 80pts
    -Assault Cannon, Heavy Bolter
    I honestly don't have much experience with LandSpeeders but this looks like a good harraser unit. Just remember to keep it out of LoS of anything your enemy has which can kill it (which is, admitedly, quite a lot)

8 Devastator Marines 200pts
    -4 Missile Launchers
    Cheap, powerful and versitile. Good choice as well.

Total: 1000pts

First of all, my friend said something about my Librarian on bike "superboosting" and gaining a ward save. Could someone explain this fully to me? (my friend just left town for a week)
    Superboosting or Turboboosting as it's called, is when a unit on a bike or jetbike can make a 24 inch move. In doing this though, the unit cannot shoot or assault durring the turn as it takes all the concentration they have just not to hit anything while going that fast.
    The benifit along with the 24 inch move range is that the units regular armor save is turned into an invounerable save because it's really really hard to hit something going that fast.

Second, how does this look? Is it geared enough towards learning the game or should I change some units around? My friend just said this was a good army.

Thanx alot!!!
    All in all it looks like a solid shooty marine list. With those small changes it will give you a really strong Shooting phase with enough bodies and strength to hold your own if anything gets in range to assault. Both of which will let you explore most of the game easily.

Go for it and tell us how it goes. We'll be interested in hearing about your battles.
    People who don't know how to use artillery are using artillery, and that scares me. -TacJack
    Bring out the Bikes!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is a very good starting list, but I'd recommend a couple tweaks, some the same as TacJack:

The librarian is VERY expensive for such a small army.
    Assuming you want to keep the same assault biker style, I'd recommend something like:
    Epistolary on bike 176pts (196 w/ Artificer)
    -Force weapon, bolt pistol, terminator honors, familiar, Might of Heroes (replacing Storm), MAYBE Artificer Armor. I never use it myself, but then again I also don't use lone heroes on bikes and a 2+ invulnerable is kinda appealing.

Drop the Dreadnought's missile launcher, take Extra armor (110 pts)

That frees up 59 pts

While cliche, I'd take those 59 points plus the 2x 8 man Tactical squads and reform them into :
    2x 7 Tactical Marines 130 pts each
    -Lascannon, plasma gun, 4 bolters

5 Tactical Marines 80 pts
    -Heavy bolter, 4 bolters

Total points: 1001

That'll give you 3 more men and stronger, more flexible shooting.

If that 1pt over is an issue, drop 1 lascannon to a missile launcher.

edit: redid my recommended units
    Last edited by Tinka; May 10th, 2006 at 01:15.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll switch the Librarian to an Epistolary and keep the Force Weapon. However, I am going to keep the Artificer Armor, because it cuts the chances of him taking a wound in half when he turboboosts. Another question on the bike, does the invulnerable save hold for both shooting and combat just in case someone charges me? The familiar sounds good, but does initiative 6 make much of a difference over 5?

For the dreadnought, dropping the missile launcher could be a good idea considering the vast amount of them I already have Would a Heavy Flamer help, or perhaps a drop pod? (My friend said drop pods were amazing for combat troops).

I think I'll keep the Tactical squads how they are, mostly because I have 16 of them

Thanks alot guys!
    Most Annoying Things Ever:

3) Having your Land Raider Crusader destroyed by a Missile Launcher first turn with a 6 to hit, 6 to glance, and 6 to destroy.

2) Chaos Warriors having the exact same statline as a Bretonnian Hero.

1) Getting shot in the head with the Sniper Rifle in Halo 2 when you're just about to lunge with the sword.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Doh, was editting while you posted. Well, if you're locking the Tacticals at 8 men each, there's not much use in freeing up points off the Epistolary. Cant do much else with Marines for 30some points What about 1 more scout?

Still modify the Dread, the launcher just isnt worth the loss of his power fist, and extra armor is a must. Flamers are almost always bad and I wouldn't drop pod him without at least 1 more drop pod unit to support.

I'd also still change the tactical squad's missile launchers to lascannons if you have the points. It's unnecessary, but more useful that stacking even more wargear on the librarian.

I6 vs I5 will matter vs other big characters and Eldar. It will help you swing first and hopefully destroy your target with the Force Weapon before it can swing back.

As options to spend your last 20pts or so on the Epistolary, I'd recomend some combo of Combat Shield, Frag Grenades, and a second psychic power. Bionics is pointless unless you are sitting at 995 and have nothing else to get.
    Last edited by Tinka; May 10th, 2006 at 01:31.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    31 (x1)

does the invulnerable save hold for both shooting and combat just in case someone charges me?
    The rule states: in the following enemies shooting phase count the bikes armour save as being invulnerable. it doesn't mention the assault phase, so no,

The familiar sounds good, but does initiative 6 make much of a difference over 5?
    I find initiative 6 gives you a major advantage as their are few things that can match it, just be careful of charging into enemies in cover

For the dreadnought, dropping the missile launcher could be a good idea considering the vast amount of them I already have Would a Heavy Flamer help, or perhaps a drop pod? (My friend said drop pods were amazing for combat troops).
    i have no experience of either of these, although i am intrigued to see what people suggest,
    hoped that helped

+ Reply to Thread