imperial guard 825pt - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

imperial guard 825pt

For friendly play:

I know 825 pts is a weird number but my friend has that many points and it needs to be equal. He uses Chaos space marines, as iron warriors, with a basilisk.

doctrines- close order drill (its free and works wonders) conscripts, grenadiers.

command platoon-159 pts
    heroic senior officer
    4x veterans, medic, standard bearer
    2x melta bombs, master crafted power sword, 5x carapace. all vets have laspistol/ccw

Infantry platoon-180pts
    plasma gun in each infantry squad, barebones JO for command squad

Conscript platoon-98 pts
    2x squads
    2x flamers

Leman Russ battle tank- 165pts
    lascannon w/hvy bolters

Stormtrooper Grenadiers-143 pts
    veteran sergeant
    power weapon
    2x plasma guns
    3x melta bombs

transport (stormtroopers)- Chimera-80pts
    multi laser

TOTAL- 825 pts

The Command platoon will move in with the conscripts for any assaults, the leadership will save the concsipts, and the melta bombs will take out any vehicle they might encounter. Infantry platoons will just shoot, plasma guns kill many marines. Leman russ will try to land a ncie big ordnance hit on his marines/raptors, if not, aim for basilisk or predator annihilator. Stormtroopers w/ chimera will be moving firebase, with melta bombs for any vehicles, and the power weapon should help in any close combats.

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    32 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Cpt Karl
    For friendly play:

I know 825 pts is a weird number but my friend has that many points and it needs to be equal. He uses Chaos space marines, as iron warriors, with a basilisk.

doctrines- close order drill (its free and works wonders) conscripts, grenadiers.

command platoon-159 pts
    heroic senior officer
    4x veterans, medic, standard bearer
    2x melta bombs, master crafted power sword, 5x carapace. all vets have laspistol/ccw

Infantry platoon-180pts
    plasma gun in each infantry squad, barebones JO for command squad

Conscript platoon-98 pts
    2x squads
    2x flamers

Leman Russ battle tank- 165pts
    lascannon w/hvy bolters

Stormtrooper Grenadiers-143 pts
    veteran sergeant
    power weapon
    2x plasma guns
    3x melta bombs

transport (stormtroopers)- Chimera-80pts
    multi laser

TOTAL- 825 pts

The Command platoon will move in with the conscripts for any assaults, the leadership will save the concsipts, and the melta bombs will take out any vehicle they might encounter. Infantry platoons will just shoot, plasma guns kill many marines. Leman russ will try to land a ncie big ordnance hit on his marines/raptors, if not, aim for basilisk or predator annihilator. Stormtroopers w/ chimera will be moving firebase, with melta bombs for any vehicles, and the power weapon should help in any close combats.

Thanks!

OK:

My philosophy with IG is go with the 40K fluff - large numbers, lots of shooting.

In order:

Command Squad: 159pts - that's 20% of your total in just 5 men - they've no ranged weapons and I assume you'll be facing Chaos Marines who will rip them up in CC.

Infantry Platoons: 180pts of troops who cannot scratch diddly having nothing but lasguns apart from just 2 plasma guns which will miss 50% of the time and quite possibly barbeque the holder leaving a nine-man flashlight unit. Heavy weapons are cheapest taken in line squads so use that to advantage.

Conscripts: At just 800+pts I'd personally get these out and put in some more guardsmen - they're poor at CC & shooting and you're tying up your principal leadership asset just to keep them in the line.

Leman Russ: OK - But I'd suggest 3 x Hull HB's and Xtra Armour & Smoke - you've only got 1 and it will be magnet for everything he can throw at it from the get go.

Storm Troopers: Melta Bombs must be the whole squad - or just for the Vet Sgt - you can't get just 3 legally.

If they're for assaulting things I'd suggest Meltaguns - they'll kill enemy armour and tough targets or Grenade launchers which are also assault weapons so suitable for fast moving troops - but won't risk killing your own men.

Chimera - You haven't taken a hull HB - for just * pts it's another 3 shots per round.

Doctrines:

COD - personally if Chaos Marines make it into CC in any number I doubt this will help much?

Conscripts - <shrug>

Grenadiers - Lets you take storm troops as squads, but you've only taken 1 and you could have done that anyway.

FWIW

Assuming you have the principal vehicles I'd suggest something like this :

HQ

Command

Senior Officer HQ with 1 x GL & M/L - 78pts

Troops

Platoon

JO HQ with 1 x GL & M/L - 63pts

Squad GL & A/C - 83pts
    Squad GL & A/C - 83pts

Platoon

JO HQ with 1 x GL & M/L - 63pts

Squad GL & A/C - 83pts
    Squad GL & A/C - 83pts

Elites

10 x Storm Troopers including Vet Sgt with Power Sword & 2 x Meltaguns - 131pts

(Plasma guns still make sense here if anywhere, BS4 and a better save if they do blow up!)

1 x Chimera; Multilaser, Hull H/B, Xtra Armour, Smoke - 93pts

Heavy Support

1 x Leman Russ, 3 x H/B, Xtra Armour, Smoke

823pts

So for the odd 2pts some searchlights or camo netting or a surveyor for the HQ.

If you don't have the 3rd Hull H/B for the Russ you can keep the lascannon by dropping the 2 x xtra armours.

Try and persuade your opponent to round up to 1,000pts because then you can get another Leman Russ in there and force him to split his fire.

At this few points I'f be inclined to ditch the doctrines, you want to maximise your firepower.

As it stands at anything over 12 inches (apart from lasguns) you can shoot, 1 x Battle Cannon, 1 x Multi-laser, 1 x Lascannon, 2 x Heavy Bolters, 4 x Plasma Guns: That's 14 "shots" plus the Battle Cannon - all at BS3 (apart from 2 plasma guns) so assume 50% misses.

With the revised list your infantry line is now putting out 4 x Autocannons, 3 x Missile Launchers, 7 x Grenade Launchers, 4 x Heavy Bolters, 1 x Battle Cannon, 1 x Multi-laser and a pretty tough Stormtrooper unit for counter-attacking or seizing & holding that can also deal with multi-wound tough models;

That's now 33 or 35 "shots" plus the Battle Cannon, that's a lot of dice each round - bound to hit something
    Last edited by vorlon; May 20th, 2006 at 23:25.
    Only an idiot fights a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the kingdom of idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks for the help!

I like the firepower of your list, however, i tend to stay away from putting heavy weapons in my infantry squads (in part due to my limited models) but i do have some autocannon squads i could put in there. I normally just keep the infantry squads with a assault weapon and get a fire support squad, but thats alot of points. So thank you for that

On the command squad, i like to have a powerful unit. I get all veterans (2 base attacks) with las/ccw for a total of 3 attacks, 4 on the charge. With a medic and a standard bearer, they are hard to kill. In a previous game, a similarly equipped command squad (with a powerweapon weilding officer) dispatched a full 5 man raptor squad while only suffering minor casualties (1 or 2, thanks to the medic). IMO i will keep a powerful command squad, but thank you for the input.

On the conscripts, yes i might drop them from the list. i was just going to use it to hold up his raptors or an infantry squad for at least a bit. I just kind of like the idea of charging a unit to certain death and maybe killing a few marines.

On close order drill, i always take it because it is free. And it does wonders in CC as now his troops and mine attack at the same time. It gives me the maximum amount of hits.

Overall, i like your list and will mix the too. I do not want to make a super powerful list, becuase he is a relative novice to the game and i want to get him to play more (and winning a battle will do that) the last two games we played he lost, but that is mostly due to his limited models. He got some new ones and i am ready to battle now!

Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    32 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Cpt Karl
    thanks for the help!

...I do not want to make a super powerful list, becuase he is a relative novice to the game and i want to get him to play more (and winning a battle will do that) the last two games we played he lost, but that is mostly due to his limited models. He got some new ones and i am ready to battle now!

Thanks!

I think good sportsmanship and encouraging someone new to 40K by not repeatedly thrashing him out of sight is admirable. :yes:

I would suggest however that in the long run for his enjoyment you're not doing him any favours - you're deliberately letting him beat a weak IG army - as soon as he faces a "regular" IG player he'll wonder what the hell happened and at best still give up, at worst feel patronised.

Make both armies as tough as possible, then keep swapping sides - because all things being equal it's the generalship he needs to learn, plus "the view from the other side" can be invaluable.
    Only an idiot fights a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the kingdom of idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh, totally. I dont want to make the best army list i can and thrash him, but at the same time i dont want to let him step all over me. The best battles are close battles, and i want to gear towards that.

+ Reply to Thread