IG 1000 / 1500 balanced force - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IG 1000 / 1500 balanced force

Doctrines: Sharp shooters
    Close Order drill
    Veterans
    Drop troops

Command Platoon:

Command squad: Junior officer with honorific imperialist and bolter/ Veteran with standard/ 3 guards with lasguns 91 pts

Special weapons team: 6 guardsmen with lasguns 1 with demo charge (Drop troop) 45pts

Anti-Tank squad: 6 guardsmen, 3 with las cannons 110pts

Infantry Platoon 1:
    1. 10 guardsmen one with plasma gun and one with heavy bolter (sharpshooters) 90pts
    2. 10 guardsmen one with plasma gun and one with heavy bolter (sharpshooters) 90pts
    3. 10 guardsmen one with plasma gun and one with heavy bolter (sharpshooters) 90pts
    Command squad: 4 guard’s men with lasguns and a junior officer with a bolter
    Infantry Platoon 2:
    1. 10 guardsmen one with plasma gun and one with missile launcher 85pts
    2. 10 guardsmen one with plasma gun and one with missile launcher 85pts
    3. 10 guardsmen one with plasma gun and one with missile launcher 85pts
    Command squad: 4 guard’s men with lasguns and a junior officer with a bolter

Heavy Support:

Leamon Russ 155pts
    Troops: 87 Tanks: 1 Total: 1003

Platoon 2:
    4. 10 guardsmen one with plasma gun and one with missile launcher 85pts

Elites: Veterans (6 guys) three with plasma guns, one with missile launcher 105pts

Heavy:

Basilisk / indirect fire 125 pts
    Basilisk / indirect fire 125 pts

This is the army list I came up with and I am new to guard tell me your thoughts, It is my first imperial guard army list, and I made it so I would have a balanced army to fight against all armies. It probably lacks mobility, but well that matter in a standard game?

Last edited by JLaronde; May 30th, 2006 at 06:36.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol, I guess no one wants to post on here...
    im gonna to make myself feel better,

" Hey man you rock! This well deffinatly win, "

But I have a high opinion of myself, Break it down for me please!
    -Oh ya, did I mention im converting my whole army into pirate's!!-
    Pokerface of Guard

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think that this list isn't bad at all except for the sharpshooters on the first platoon.

Its more or less a waste on these squads as the plasma gunner receives absolutely no benefit from it and the only model to recieve maximum bonus is the heavy bolter as it gets 3 shots each turn.

If you really wanted to make use of Sharpshooters put it on the dedicated HW squads you can take in the HQ platoon and leave it at that.

I like the officer with the bolter. Its probally the most cost effiecent upgrade we IG have in our armoury.
    Fifth Edition Saved 40k for Me. I love my ratlings and my cover saves!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Would it be more effective if I had a fire support squad with 3 HB's and sharpshooter and moved my lascannons to my infantry platoon? that way each plattoon doesnt haveta take a sharpshooter doctrine? Or well the platoon be wasted because they dont have a greater number of shots anymore?
    Pokerface of Guard

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What you're suggesting is probally the best way to do HW squads.

Most players don't feel as threatened by Lascannons/Missile Launchers if their spread out as when their bunched together.

While HBs are more or less ignored all the time. So take advantage of that and group them together while keeping your lascannon safe with 10 wounds to act as more or less ablative armor.

Mr Commisar to you Commisarlestat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    332 (x8)

i'd say put the lascannons in HW squads and Heavy bolters in the squads. It means you don't waste lasrifle shots against tanks and its the lascannons that would benefit more from the sharpshooters.
    A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No No No

Lasguns suck no matter what, so why worry about them?

Besides, Why let all your AT be such an easy target? By grouping them together all your opponent needs to do is destroy that squad and you can't destroy his tanks.

The only decent argument for not placing lascannons in Linesquads is points and even that isn't overly convincing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think I am gonna do acouple tests battles with the sharpshooter doctrine being in line squads or in my anti tank squad, then after switch to a fire support squad with Hb's and LC's in the lines, that way i can see which is effective. I well tell you guys how it goes
    Pokerface of Guard

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not that anyone here cares but a couple of battles is far from statistically significant. Heck a couple hundred battles are statistically significant.

Basically what I'm saying is don't let a few battles sway you one way or the other on doctrines.

Let well reason logical arguments do that for you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    32 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by JLaronde
    I think I am gonna do acouple tests battles with the sharpshooter doctrine being in line squads or in my anti tank squad, then after switch to a fire support squad with Hb's and LC's in the lines, that way i can see which is effective. I well tell you guys how it goes
    Like socprof says that won't tell you very much since you won't be able to recreate the exact same conditions and decisions for each battle.

Some pretty clever people here (not me I hasten to add!) worked out that sharpshooters raises the Ballistic Skill from BS3 to BS3.5 iirc.

Obviously the more things shooting the better the return - hence the usually regarded best place for sharpshooters is on Fire Support Squads with either Heavy Bolters or maybe Autocannons.

Otherwise you're better spending the actual points on more guns full stop.

Basic principle is that we miss 50% of the time so you always want 2 weapons or one weapon firing twice or more.

3 lascannons looks like overkill, but if you assume over 2 turns you'll only get 3 hits, and then they may not penetrate, or just glance etc.

Meanwhile that 6 man squad will get all his attention because it's the obvious tank killer. However those same three lascannons spread amongst 3 rifle squads will be much harder to take out, whilst a 90pt HB Squad with Sharpshooters is generating 9 shots per turn at BS3.5

The other option is to put lascannons with squads who are more likely to hit e.g. Hardnede Veterans, a veteran unit with 1 lascannon and 3 plasma guns can generate some fierce anti-armour potential and can be large enough to survive a few hits.

Only an idiot fights a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the kingdom of idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast