2 400pts patrols - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mr Commisar to you Commisarlestat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    332 (x8)

2 400pts patrols

i'm playing two 800 points in two lists against some mates conflict armies so they can try theirs out, they have marines and a grenadier ig force i'm taking the (tip tweaks would be much appreciated):

List 1
    Infantry platoon
    command
    JO bolt pistol
    3x grenade launchers
    surveyor
    Squad 1 and 2
    grenade launcher and missile launcher (231 pts)

Hardened veterans (
    storm boolter (on sarge)
    missile launcher
    2x plasma gun
    surveyor (109)

Storm troopers (5)
    plasma gun (60)

total 404 points

List 2
    Doctrines: light infantry cameleoline and Iron discipline
    Infantry platoon
    command
    JO bolt pistol Iron dis melta bombs
    grenade launcher camo light inf

Squads 1 and 2
    grenade launcher, sniper
    camo, light inf
    Squad 3
    flamer, sniper
    camo, light inf (356 pts)

sentinel w. H.flamer (40 pts)

total 396 points

I know one list is over but they said it was ok so long as both lists added up to 800
    the 1st list will find cover and shoot possibly using the elites to infiltrate (stormtroopers just push forward as no infiltrate) and anti marine units
    list 2 will infiltrate and try to pin units from cover so that list one can pick them off a unit at a time
    the sentinel is for close support if the enemy gets to ....close lol

so are they ok or where do they need to be changed?

PS. Posted in the GW forum but no replies so i thought id join you lot! so first posting

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    144 (x3)

In Combat Patrol its usually best to spend as few points as possible to obtain as many models and weapons as you can manage. Little extras like most doctrines can be kind of extraneous. You've got a very definite idea in mind for your list, so I'm not going to try and tweak it. What I will do is post what I think is a very strong, balanced 400pt Combat Patrol list. Take a look at it and see if you wouldn't like to have two of these instead of what you've got....

One Platoon
    Command Squad—Junior Officer with Iron Discipline, plasma gun, and
    autocannon weapon team. 70
    Infantry Squad 1—Plasma gun and heavy bolter. 80
    Infantry Squad 2—Plasma gun and heavy bolter. 80
    Infantry Squad 3—Plasma gun and missile launcher. 85
    Infantry Squad 4—Plasma gun and missile launcher. 85

Admittedly it might be a bit rough on your friends, seeing as two of these lists packs in 90 guardsmen, 10 plasma guns, and 10 heavy weapons (2 autocannons, 4 heavy bolters, and 4 missile launchers), but its just to give you an idea of how much effective firepower you can really cram into a Combat Patrol list with basic guardsmen. If you decide to use something similar, you might want to switch heavy bolters for autocannons (dropping the Command Squad plasma gun will cover the cost for both) so you'll have more weapons for popping armor.
    "I would listen to Sokhar. The man's a genius. Listen."
    ~Lord Yossanrion
    "Thanks, Sokhar. There was some legitimately good advice in between the low-grade profanity, blaspheming and veiled insults."
    ~Quick
    "Well thought, intelligently put, with a hint of sarcastic bastard!"
    ~Diggum's Hammer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unless you plan on moving alot with your veterans I'd drop the Storm Bolter in favor of a Bolter for 2 reasons, Its 4points cheaper and its the same exact weapon as a storm bolter except its not assault 2.

Other than that the first list is ok.

The second list howerver needs help. First of all sniper rifles and flamers do not go together. you need more range from your special weapon if the HW choice is a Sniper rifle. I highly recommend either plasma or a GL.

Also why LI in a CP? The board is already small at 4'x4' why make it even smaller?

Remember we guard need at least some space to do our shooty thing. \\
    Fifth Edition Saved 40k for Me. I love my ratlings and my cover saves!

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    332 (x8)

sounds good but i dont have that much plasma yet! both are based on stripped down versions of 1500 pt armies that i have but i am liking the idea of your least i might try it when i tweak my armies. always get burnt with plasma lol so might swap a few for my trusty grenade launchers hmmm methinks more £'s on heavy weapons (dont own a single heavy bolter and i have near 4000 points of guard shock horror!!)
    thanks

A

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

332 (x8)

justifications.....

The reason the storm bolter is in there is i like my conversion really lol but im going to try and get a bolter from somewhere to convert another vet sarge! The other reason is because i use the missile launcher to add flexibility because i like to move the squad occaisionally and i didnt want to lose the stormbolter shots.

As for the second list i might just do the grenade launcher swap.

we usually play on 6x4 boards even for combat patrol so the infiltrate becomes really useful i also like to use it as a reaction force as it allows me to deploy my whole army second meaning i know where to hide.

The battle is going to use both of these lists as an allied force so the light infantry are there to funnel the enemy onto my firebase and add a disruptive element. effectively they are there to be a nuisance and keep the heat off of my main shooting units

thanks for your input
    A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The full 6x4 board does make a bit of difference with the viability of taking LI.
    Fifth Edition Saved 40k for Me. I love my ratlings and my cover saves!

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

332 (x8)

yup..

indeed you should have seen the kickin i gave a tau player with a similar LI army!! more pinning and outranging tau is so much fun lol

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

332 (x8)

how it went...

Only got to use the light infantry army. I put drop troopers and smoke launcher on the sentinel. Allied with dark angels we annihalated them. used a refused flank with the infiltration meaning we changed the board edges practically. Hid behind hills and popped up to shoot when they got to close cover saves were well worth the points aswell!!

A

+ Reply to Thread