For the Motherland! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For the Motherland!

Here is my version of an ultimate WW2 Soviet Army, based on all their ideals and strategms(s/p?).

Fascist dictator Adolf Hitler wanted to conquer the world. Although he had signed a treaty with the USSR, he knew he would eventually need to take them out. In 1941, he saw his chance. He had conquered most of Western Europe, excluding the stubborn Britain. Now he launched Operation Barbarossa, an invasion of the USSR. The Great Patriotic War had begun! Though the USSR had feared this day and had trained their army, they were brutally unprepared for the reality. The Nazi army ultimately pushed to Stalingrad, where they were finally stopped by the brutal Soviet winter. Known as the turning point of the war, Stalingrad was a final stand where the Soviets had finally pushed back their fascist enemy. They would soon push to Berlin and siege Berlin itself.

Now countless millenia later, Urazema exists as one of the last planets based mostly on the old ideals of Soviet Bolshevism, but still exists as an important friend of the Empire. During one of Abbadon's infamous Black Crusades, they planet is attacked and is slow to a response. They are now pushed to a fierce war to counter the enemies found in the Black Legions. Having a population count exceeding hundreds of trillions, they build an army dedicated to the old Soviet armies of World War 2....

The 161st Rifle Regiment

Doctrines:
    Iron Discipline (Heroic Sen. Officer)
    Conscript Platoons
    Independant Commissars
    Close Order Drill

HQ:

Command Squad 126
    Junior Officer (Honorifica Imperialis, CCW, Bolt Pistol, Iron Discipline)
    Master-Vox Caster
    Guardsmen (Lasgun)
    Standard Bearer
    Mortar Team

Elites:

Commissar (Power Weapon, Laspistol, Carapace Armor) 60

Troops:

Command Squad x 2 101
    Junior Officer (CCW, Bolt Pistol, Iron Discipline)
    Guardsman (Lasgun) x3
    Guardsman (Melta Gun)

Infantry Platoon x 2 724
    Infantry Squad Alpha x 2 200
    Sergeant (Laspistol, CCW)
    Lascannon Crew
    Vox-Caster
    Plasma Gun

Infantry Squad Bravo x 2 173
    Veteran Sergeant (Bolt Pistol, CCW)
    Heavy-Bolter Crew
    Vox-Caster
    Grenade Launcher

Conscript Platoon 120
    Conscript Squad Echo x 3

Heavy Support:

Leman Russ x 2 (Hull-Mounted Lascannon, Pintle Heavy Stubber, HB Sponsons) 354

Total: 1496

Comment on the fluff and list, thanks!

EDIT: Shoot, just found out I gotta list my points rules and the fact that its tourney/friendly..

EDIT: I have edited it so far but it goes over 96 points, this is a friendly army but I would like to be able to use it in a tourney, so I need some way to trim it.

Last edited by flakdragon; June 3rd, 2006 at 19:52.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    32 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by flakdragon
    ...countless millenia later, Urazema exists as one of the last planets based mostly on the old ideals of Soviet Bolshevism, but still exist as an allie of the emperor.

Comment on the fluff and list, thanks!
    Well as to Fluff I don't think planets get away with being "allies" of the Emperor. Mankind is all part of the Imperium whether it likes or not - and if it doesn't - Exterminatus time.

The whole Guard thing IS pretty Soviet in many ways already - masses of expendable men, masses of guns (because we're not that good at shooting), Commissars, summary field executions, boxy multi-weapon tanks etc.

While on the other hand, genetically engineered super-warriors with elite tanks tells where the SM's got their inspiration from I reckon

As to your list:

Two immediate points

I can't see any Platoon Command Squads showing?
    (or work the points out - can you break it down a bit?)

Leman Russes probably better with Hull H/B?
    (But Olive Green with an Imperial Eagle superimposed over a large Red Star would sound good!)
    Only an idiot fights a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the kingdom of idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, the regular infantry platoon needs a command section, you must put one.
    I notice you used up two doctrine slots for your snipers, and the special weapons squad costs a lot. Just take ratling snipers and use cadian minis for them, you should free enough points for the missing platoon command and a doctrine slot for independent commissars.
    Independent commissar is needed to make your conscripts truly efficient, a conscript platoon lead by the ind. commissar never breaks and becomes one of the best counterattack units for the guards.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flakdragon

Fascist dictator Adolf Hitler wanted to conquer the world. Although he had signed a treaty with the USSR, he knew he would eventually need to take them out. In 1941, he saw his chance. He had conquered most of Western Europe, excluding the stubborn Britain. Now he launched Operation Barbarossa, an invasion of the USSR. The Great Patriotic War had begun! Though the USSR had feared this day and had trained their army, they were brutally unprepared for the reality. The Nazi army ultimately pushed to Stalingrad, where they were finally stopped by the brutal Soviet winter. Known as the turning point of the war, Stalingrad was a final stand where the Soviets had finally pushed back their fascist enemy. They would soon push to Berlin and siege Berlin itself.
    ok first of all, what did you expect the "stuborn british" to do, just let them go there, you fool, how can you call the british stubborn for fighting aginst the Nazi's?
    The USSR did not belive Hitler was going to invade. stalin was Not building up his armies. the soviet union was not unprepared, the russians knew how harsh there winters were. in the napolionic wars napolions armies had to flee because of the winter in russia, they made it past moscow! in the first world war, the Germans had trouble with the russian winter with there men freezing to death. the nazi's pushed to stalingrad all the way up to leeningrad. get it right!
    it was not the turning point of the war, there was no one turning point for the war. if you mean the war on the eastern front specify. because 'the war' mean world war 2. Get it right!

ok on to yur army list. drop 1 russ tank and add more infantry platoons, drop 1 vet squad and add to the conscripts, for every 1 vet you can have 2 conscripts.

other than that apart from whats already been said i thik its good but dose need to be re shaped.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    44 (x2)

For someone who neglected to use capital letters in almost all their sentences, and even has "Josep" Stalin in their signature, I think you are being a little unfair. I'm sure you could have corrected flakdragon a little more constructively and eloquently, without saying "get it right" every three sentences and openely insulting him.
    This is not the way to good rep, and sooner or later a mod will eat you if you go on like that.

Back on topic, I think that it would make for a very good looking army. Yes there are some fluff issues, but they are pretty small. I've always liked the look of the WW2 russian army. I had a dorm-mate from Siberia in College, and when he saw the vallhallan mini's in the codex he thought they were awsome ! Then my Pakistani dormie saw the Tallarns, and thought the same thing, I kid you not !
    Last edited by Will J; June 2nd, 2006 at 15:57.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karmoon View Post
    WILL J!~
    You have a beard. You are in dire need of nothing. You are complete. Amen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I will do the list changes, sorry bout that guys, new to the IG thing, >.<. Also, the commissar is there to make my officer Ld 10, and then with master vox all squads can use his Ld Once per turn with Voxes. For the Conscripts, I really don't care about them, they are for screening and extra meat to throw around, but the sniper idea is good.

Quote Originally Posted by Reflex
    ok first of all, what did you expect the "stuborn british" to do, just let them go there, you fool, how can you call the british stubborn for fighting aginst the Nazi's?
    The USSR did not belive Hitler was going to invade. stalin was Not building up his armies. the soviet union was not unprepared, the russians knew how harsh there winters were. in the napolionic wars napolions armies had to flee because of the winter in russia, they made it past moscow! in the first world war, the Germans had trouble with the russian winter with there men freezing to death. the nazi's pushed to stalingrad all the way up to leeningrad. get it right!
    it was not the turning point of the war, there was no one turning point for the war. if you mean the war on the eastern front specify. because 'the war' mean world war 2. Get it right!

ok on to yur army list. drop 1 russ tank and add more infantry platoons, drop 1 vet squad and add to the conscripts, for every 1 vet you can have 2 conscripts.

other than that apart from whats already been said i thik its good but dose need to be re shaped.
    First of all, the stubborn British would be from a Nazi's view, not an allie. They would think it heroic as I did, so far you misunderstood me.

Next up, They did believe fascism would eventually come for them, and I have read Ivan's War, a collection of personal accounts from real Soviets, and they mentioned many times where the Soviet propaganda machine would pump in their heads the evil idea of fascism and how it would eventually have to be stopped. Stalin was building up men by having many drafts, which is in turn making his army larger.

I never said the harsh winters stopped the Soviets now did I? I said the nazis were unprepared, I guess you thought nazis read soviets...

Leningrad is Northwest of Stalingrad, so it makes no sense that they pushed through Stalingrad to get to Leningrad if Leningrad was located far Northeast of Stalingrad, now does it?

Stalingrad is the turning point. The allies had been suffering horrible defeats, and after the decisive battle of Stalingrad, the Allies began racking up in victories evetually leading them to their victory over World War 2.

Lastly, your grammer is pathetic and you correcting me on points where you were actually incorrect is a bit weird. Do get the facts straight next time and take your time to type. Good day sir!

EDIT: I have made a few changes to the list
    Last edited by flakdragon; June 2nd, 2006 at 22:07.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ally, the word is ALLY.

Secondly, snipers suck. Big. Well not really big, but they are a waste of a special weapons squad. Its better for you to take them as ratlings because at least then for that same 75 points you can get 6 snipers and for 77 you can get 7. its so much a better choice than a special weapons team with only 3 snipers.

Also where are the Commies if you're trying to be the wall of flesh the soviets showed at stalingrad you have to have commies. Also drop the vox. there is no way the soviets had vox tech.
    Fifth Edition Saved 40k for Me. I love my ratlings and my cover saves!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is also no way they had laspistols, plasma weapons, lascannons and meltaguns among other things...The vox represents the strong morale of the Soviets to fight for the USSR, and so it is there for that reason along, along with Die-hards.

I already replaced my snipers with ratlings. This is my 1500 point list, after htis I will just build on my infantry.

I apologize for my incorrect spelling

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Calling the the British stubborn in the second world war is a complement if anything. Writen from a Russian viewpoint, the coming of winter was the turning point in the war, for the Americans and British D-Day was the turning point. I'd go on, but it would be frowned upon (plus flakdragon has just done it much better).

Anywho the list. EDIT: This was on flakdragons older list which has now been edited whilst I typed. Poop. However you're going to read it anyway aren't you...I believe you are because your curious and there are also many jokes in there you may enjoy.*

For your Platoons do need a Command Squad to lead it. You might have missed it but its the top 2 lines for the Infantry platoon option. You only have 5 squads so you can just add in one Command Squad, a simple 45 point JO (Adding Iron Discipline is a no brainer) can help alot.

Command Platoon:
    I'd remove the Plasma Pistol from the HSO. Its fairly un-necessary, he won't have much if any opportunity to fire it and when he does it can be quite risky. If you want him to have a superior pistol for fluff reasons, the Bolt-pistol can fit that role well, whilst being 9 points cheaper!
    Have you given the Commisar anything or is he carrying the basic CCW+Laspistol? Just wondering, I'd keep him cheap and use the Ld myself too.
    I don't think the medic is too important either, especially if you get rid of the plasma pistol. If your Command platoon is under persistant fire a single re-roll won't make much difference, there's only 6 of them after all.
    A little trick with small lists is to use your Honorifica Imperialis to reduce your Leaders cost ever so slightly. A Junior Officer + Honorifica + Iron Discipline = Heroic Senior Officer. Same stat line but 5 points cheaper, every little counts .

-Plasma Pistol
    -Medic
    -Honorifica trick
    +Bolt Pistol
    = 20 points saved.

Snipers:
    75 points for 3 Infiltrating sniper rifles is quite expensive. The main focus with sniper rifles is to force those Pinning checks, to get those you need as many rifles as possible.
    For 2 points more you could get yourself 7 Ratling sniper rifles. They get Infiltrating as standard and also get the sweet go to ground special rule.
    Also you can then exchange Light Infantry and Special Weapon Squads for Ratling Snipers. This leaves you an extra Doctrine slot, perhaps filled with Close Order Drill to fit with the theme.

Squad Alpha:
    Las+Plasma, great.

Squad Bravo:
    I'd favour the Grenade launcher over the flamer for clearing infantry. Its got a longer range and can then also serve as a light vehicle popper. However thats just personal preference and my general dislike of flamers

Conscripts:
    I have very little faith in non-officer IG leadership. I would advocate getting a bare bones Independant Commisar in there, setting you back 50 points. However I'm not sure how this would fit with your list.

Lemans:
    Personally I like them.

Nice list and I like the theme, welcome to the IG!

*That sentence may have contained traces of untruth

EDIT 2: I've read through the new list and have some comments (and jokes**):

More Ratlings. 4 Sniper shots are unlikely to cause a death and thereby a pinning test. 6 or more I'd recommend. No statistical reason, I just think its a good number .

For your Command Squad, lose the Medic, Vox and Standard (Can only have 1 standard anyway). The JO in the Command squad gives a decent Ld and won't need the boost. Medic for reasons already mentioned. Give the JO Iron D though. Iron D doesn't travel down the Vox so having another 'bubble' of Iron D helps alot.

Your platoon pricings are as follows (I think, just clarifying. With my changes too, I'm being presumptuous ):

Infantry Platoon

Command Squad
    Junior Officer (powerfist, laspistol, Iron D)
    4 Guardsman

Infantry Squad Alpha
    (x 2)
    Lascannon Crew
    Vox-Caster
    Plasma Gun

Infantry Squad Bravo
    (x 2)
    Heavy-Bolter Crew
    Vox-Caster
    Flamer

Just checking

** Blatant Lie
    Last edited by Archaon; June 2nd, 2006 at 22:37.
    Archaon's Top Tip for profiting from the End Time: Pillage before you burn

When I say jump you don't ask me 'How high?' maggot! You jump!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alright, I will make the changes listed for more ratlings, change to command squads, and th epoints changes, thanks for the help, I should have made the new list more obvious.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast