Facing Feral Orks soon - need help pls - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Facing Feral Orks soon - need help pls

Ok, soon I will be facing a Feral Ork horde.

This guy is packing 106 Madboyz, who will mostly be S5. He also has a "uber-warboss" with 7 Power Kalw attacks, to rip my vehicles apart (Super Cyboar etc.). They are Fearless, and so never fall back. He fields his troops in a ration of 3:2 Choppashootas

I would like a 1000 point list able to take him on, and hopefully win. He brags about how invincible his army is, and how it can out-shoot the Guard. He has annoyed our gaming shop, and they want me to publically defeat him, to curb his ego.

At the same time, with the same list, I have to take on a Space Marine army.

Any advice on a list to be able to hande this situation?

I was thinking something along the lines of:

Doctrines
    Ogryn
    Iron Discipline
    Light Infantry
    Sharpshooters
    Close Order Drill

HQ

Command Platoon
    Command Squad: Junior Officer w/ Bolt Pistol, Power Weapon, Honorifica Imperialis & Iron Discipline. 3 Guardsmen w/ Laspistols & CCWs. Veteran w/ Laspistol, CCW & Company Standard.

Fire Support Squad: 6 Guardsmen w/ 3 Lasguns, 3 Heavy Bolters & Sharpshooters.

Elites

Ogryn: Bone Ead w/ Ripper Gun & Frag Grenades. 4 Ogryn w/ Ripper Guns & Frag Grenades.

Troops

Infantry Platoon 1
    Command Squad: Junior Officer w/ Bolter & Iron Discipline. 4 Guardsmen w/ 3 Lasguns & Autocannon.

Infantry Squad 1: 10 Men w/ 8 Lasguns, Grenade Launcher, Heavy Bolter & Light Infantry.

Infantry Squad 2: 10 Men w/ 8 Lasguns, Grenade Launcher, Heavy Bolter & Light Infantry.

Infantry Squad 3: 10 Men w/ 8 Lasguns, Grenade Launcher, Heavy Bolter & Light Infantry.

Infantry Platoon 2
    Command Squad: Junior Officer w/ Bolter & Iron Discipline. 4 Guardsmen w/ 3 Lasguns & Autocannon.

Infantry Squad 1: 10 Men w/ 8 Lasguns, Plasma Gun & Missile Launcher.

Infantry Squad 2: 10 Men w/ 8 Lasguns, Plasma Gun & Missile Launcher.

Fast Attack

Hellhound: Inferno Cannon, Heavy Bolter & Pintle Heavy Stubber.

995 5

Deployment is something like this:

-----P1 1-----P1 2-----P1 3
    --------------------------------7" gap-
    -----P2 1-----CHQ-----P2 2
    --------------------------------7" gap, IF POSS
    -----P1 C------FS------P2 C

Ogryn and Hellhound deploy where they will be needed.

P2 is deployed right on the outer-edge of the Deployment Zone, pushin the enemy back. 7" behind these guys, the Platoon Commands and Fire Support Squad deploy. platoon 1 Infiltrates 7" in front of P2.

This means that the P1 weapons are in range from the start. These keep firing unitl the line is charged, when it WILL break.

The 7" gap prefents a Sweeping Advance into my second line. It also means the Second Line can open fire on the Sweeping troops.

The Ogryn pile in to hold the enemy a while longer if necessary. Their high toughness and strength should make them resilient enough to hold the Orks up for a turn or two(especially if I can shoot+charge them).

The final line is the Fire Support Squad and the Platoon Commands. these open up as the enemy breaks through Line 2.

The Hellhound is kept backas a reserve for whenever it is needed most.

The idea is that the weapon ranges mean all the troops can fire as the enemy approaches (shorter-ranged wepaons to the front).

So,what do you think? It should ahve the firepower to hold back the Ork horde (100 models against me!), and have so many shots it forces saves on the Space Marines.

Would swapping the Ogryn for a Leman Russ be a good idea? Russes die (enemy warboss is a killer Tank HUnter, SM have Lascannons), and the Ogryn should be able to hold up the Orks and Assault Marines. However, the firepower of a Russ is not to be underestimated. The Orks would be so densely packed that the Pie-plate would rip through them. perhaps a Basilisk then - so I am fairly safe from the Warboss?

I normally hate tailoring Army Lists, but this guy does deserve it (he has annoyed the club, and needs to have his attitude checked). Any help/advice would be much appreciated.

Last edited by Treadhead_the_mighty; June 2nd, 2006 at 13:07.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone have any advice, please?

The game is fairly soon, and I need to get a strategy sorted out.

It boils down to:

Do I have enough troops?

and

Basilisk or Ogryn - Bassie = firepower, Ogryn = counter-charge, and should be OK against Orks?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What I would do if I were you is try to play on the biggest board possible.

Its not technically an ethcial tactic if something extra-game can be considered a tactic.

Also 1000 Points you're going to have a hard time getting enough of the good stuff of IG to really take down a foot slogging ork army.

I'd try to get into a 2000 point army with the guy and take lots of HWs and Tanks.

feral orks are kinda dicey though because they have cavlary units but you should be able to out shoot them if you can get the game big enough.
    Fifth Edition Saved 40k for Me. I love my ratlings and my cover saves!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Guy is fielding One Super-Warboss - Super Cyboar, Power Klaw, Bionic Bonce Etc. to take out tanks.

The rest of his army is PURE madboyz.

No fast stuff, just the 6"-a-turn footsloggers, but they are S5.

He has 106 models at 1000 points.

Should I skip Tanks alogether, and just go for more HB armed Infantry?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

S5 means nothing, in terms of CC with guard. we suck at CC no matter what the strength of our opponent.

the thing you need to worry about with orks against guard is the orks Toughness because as good as HBs are against horde armies they're still only a S5 weapons. so it could really come down to a question of whether you can wound them enough with only HBs in your army.

Also if I were you run very little terrain becuase you need as clear fields of fire as possible to mow them down.
    Fifth Edition Saved 40k for Me. I love my ratlings and my cover saves!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    144 (x3)

If you're gearing up just to take this braggart down then definitely go for the throat. No real need to create a balanced list if this is a one time deal to shut somebody up. When you get to the game to play against him one thing I'd recommend is taking a look at his list and codex to make sure he's playing legal. See that he hasn't fudged any numbers. If he's got an over-powered boss meant to rip apart vehicles then I'd say definitely go All-Infantry or very close to it. If all his forces only move 6" a turn then a Hellhound will still do well as it can retreat at the same pace while maintaining full firepower. They're relatively cheap and sluggas can't hurt its front or side armor. Just slap a heavy stubber on it with some spare poitns and you're ready to go there.

Against his large number of models, you'll want as many infantry on the board as possible. Basic Infantry Squads with a plasma gun and a heavy bolter. If there's only normal Orks (with toughness 4, I'm assuming?) to chew through then you won't need missile launchers or even autocannons, you just need weight of fire at a decent strength (like strength 5). Plasma can chew up that warboss of his, so basic squads all the way. Keep the Command Squads cheap, just an officer with Iron Discipline and a heavy bolter. Fire Support Squads with 3 heavy bolters are a must. Don't bother with Ogryns, power weapons, or anything of the like. If he gets into hand to hand with you you're already dead, you'll have no chance. Every point goes towards buying more guns or guys to carry them. Don't waste points on Sharp Shooters, either. Those points are better spent buying another heavy bolter, rather than trying to squeeze a couple extra hits out of one you already paid for.

As far as tactics go, just establish a solid gun line and stand and shoot. Keep your Fire Support Squads a bit behind the Infantry so they'll last longer. Each turn just blaze away with your heavy bolters, fire the lasguns and plasma guns at 24" range as soon as possible. When he closes to around 12" then you might want to advance a couple of squads forrward to try and rapid fire them to death and slow the flood against your lines. With Orks while they have a toughness 4, they have a very poor armor save (usually its like 6+ if I recall), so your lasguns have a decent chance of gunning a large number down. Especially in the quantity we're talking about. Use the Hellhound to harass his flanks or just move about flaming the largest cluster of Orks. That Inferno Cannon should shred a lot of people, especially backed up by a heavy bolter and stubber. Be sure to concentrate on one unit at a time. Don't spread your fire around or else every single mob will hit your lines in decent condition. Pick the closest target and destroy it before moving on. Don't even worry overmuch about his warboss as you don't have any large battle tanks for him to destroy. If he's bogged down killing guardsmen, he's not making back the points he cost.

That should get you through this game and hopefully shut up the Ork player. Once that is done we could get your list back to normality where its meant to be competitive against all comers rather than just severely rape this feral orks guy.
    "I would listen to Sokhar. The man's a genius. Listen."
    ~Lord Yossanrion
    "Thanks, Sokhar. There was some legitimately good advice in between the low-grade profanity, blaspheming and veiled insults."
    ~Quick
    "Well thought, intelligently put, with a hint of sarcastic bastard!"
    ~Diggum's Hammer

Born from Tears of Angels WraithGuardian's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    105 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by socprof
    S5 means nothing, in terms of CC with guard. we suck at CC no matter what the strength of our opponent.
    Very true, no matter wut the enemy is, in CC ur guard will die either way so dont even hope of winning

Command Platoon
    Command Squad: Junior Officer w/ Bolt Pistol, Power Weapon, Honorifica Imperialis & Iron Discipline. 3 Guardsmen w/ Laspistols & CCWs. Veteran w/ Laspistol, CCW & Company Standard.
    Why CCW, in CC they are goneer either way, might as well put in a HB in the unit and leave one guy for the flag

Fire Support Squad: 6 Guardsmen w/ 3 Lasguns, 3 Heavy Bolters & Sharpshooters.
    One more HW team is needed, use the points if you lose the hellhound which will be useless in my opinion

Ogryn: Bone Ead w/ Ripper Gun & Frag Grenades. 4 Ogryn w/ Ripper Guns & Frag Grenades.
    Very bad choice I think, you are trying to keep the enemy away from CC not invite them in. Even for counter charge, I dont suggest them. If you drop em, you will get some major spare points. Pls reconsider this.

Infantry Platoon 1
    Infantry Squad 1: 10 Men w/ 8 Lasguns, Grenade Launcher, Heavy Bolter & Light Infantry.
    Infantry Squad 2: 10 Men w/ 8 Lasguns, Grenade Launcher, Heavy Bolter & Light Infantry.
    Infantry Squad 3: 10 Men w/ 8 Lasguns, Grenade Launcher, Heavy Bolter & Light Infantry.
    I see no reason for light infantry, you are not goint to move much and not going to infiltrate much either. Sniper rifles, you are definitely not goint o use so why waste points.

Infantry Platoon 2
    Infantry Squad 1: 10 Men w/ 8 Lasguns, Plasma Gun & Missile Launcher.
    Infantry Squad 2: 10 Men w/ 8 Lasguns, Plasma Gun & Missile Launcher.
    Missile launchers arent the best things vs horde armies. I would consider makeingthe whole platoons identical to the first one, think about it - 6 squads with HBs and 2 autos can really ruin someones day.

Hellhound: Inferno Cannon, Heavy Bolter & Pintle Heavy Stubber.
    Not a wise choice the way I see it, yes it is a gorgeous tank but then u are trying to keep em away not draw them in. If you drop it with Ogryns, then you will have enought to get one more fire support team and make that 2nd infantry platoons similar to the 1st.

1.Play on big battlefield
    2.Dont worry about his HQ, it will move 6" per turn and wont do him no good if you have all that firepower
    3.Stay out of CC, if a squad is engaged, forget about it and keep firing at the advancing orks
    4.He is slow, just sit back and shoot, make him take the side with no cover on the open ground
    5.Dont worry about it, if you drop ogryns and hellhound and get some more big guns, he will be in for a real whooping

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

his retinue will being moving atleast 7 inches a turn... max 12. and then a 12 inch charge... so 12" set up. you'll be atleast 6" in.... So that's only 24 apart (If you play on a 24" table).... with 6+d6 inch movement. and a 12 inch charge range... I would defenitialy throw a crap load of firepower into this unit... I would suggest heavy bolters.. Hitting on 4's, wounding on 3's, no armor saves. heavy bolters mow down orks like hell. I would also check with his list... 103 mad boyz would be at the very least 721 points... and if his retinue is as super as he says it is, that will probably weigh in around 400 ATLEAST. you also said he has a ton of shoota boyz.
    Necron 2000 14/1/13

How come everybody else on this forum has 400 wins to 2 loses? I smell cheese.... and beef... sandwich!

What was Rogal Dorn doing when the Sanguinius and the Emporer got killed???

Woohoooo I killed the treeman!!! :)

I killed the Glade riders too!!!! :)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i dont think that facing ferel orks is something to be afraid of. what were good at they suck, what they are good at we suck.

Lose 1 squad of infantry, the light infantry doctrines, and orgrins and put a leman russ in place.

I love fighting orks because they die before they get near my men and tanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The main advantage that Feral Orks have, is Fearless.

No matter how many shots I pump into a unit, they have to die to stop functioning. Every single one of them. They won't fall back from weight of fire.

Whats so bad about Hellhounds - I would ahve thought that they would be good - can move at the same rate as the Orks, and still shoot, so won't be caught in CC, and are immune to their basic weapons.

I am going to drop the Ogryn - there are better things I can get with the points.

His Warboss is 129-159 points, or similar, IIRC.

Something a friend suggested, was taking an Inq. Lord, to get a Vindicare - so I can pop the Warboss even if he is in a mob, and then pick off heavy weapons,allowing hellhounds to wipe out his infantry. I personally think the vindicare+Lord is too expensive, but it could stop the Warboss in 2 turns.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast