1500 CoD Purtian GK - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1500 CoD Purtian GK

GM--200
    Psycannon/master craft NFW/grimoire of true names

GK 7+1 Termis--453
    Psy cannon // BC-deamon hammer / mastercrafted

GK troops 6+1 --288
    2 psy cannon// Justicar- power fist/t-homer/targiter / auspex

GK troops 6+1-- 256
    2 Incinrators // Justicar- power fist/t-homer/targiter /

GK LRC --285
    Blessed/dozed blade/HK missel

GK dread --148
    AC/DCCW/Inciiertor/Hk Missel/smoke

Orb Strike Lance --70

there are a lot of chaos beaing played at my local store that is the reason for all the anti deamon gear , and the two Power fists are a un exped suprise to the one player that just loves to tank shoke all the time

i can add a Inq lord to this list to get me up to 2k im tring to keep it a pure GK list
    thanks for looking at this post , any commits and opinions are welcome

Necrons 11k Tyranids 7k Iron Hands 6k
    my local club
    http://www.bristolvanguard.co.uk/
    Necron sits
    http://www.pwl-tech.co.uk/csg/index.php

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

786 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by thrasson007
    GM--200

GK 7+1 Termis--453
    Too many points on terminators! Don't ge me wrong, I love GKTs, and I use 'em whenever it's feasible, but you've gone far beyond the point of diminishing returns here. At most, I'd take a GM and 4-5 GKTs for a retinue. (In most cases, a BC + 4 GKTs is plenty.) Don't take any elite GKTs when you have a GK Hero; the Hero needs a retinue for protection. Trim your termie expenditure to a reasonable level, and spend the difference on more GKs, which you definitely need.
    GK troops 6+1 --288
    Too many points on hindering wargear that would be better employed filling out the squad to 10 models. Don't give your GKs any special weapons at all! You obviously want this squad to get into CC, so why double the cost of your GKs to give them psycannons, when doing so takes away their NFW and True Grit? Besides, when the squad moves, the psycannon range drops to less than that of the stormbolters. Just not a good tradeoff for the points.

Psycannons are indeed awesome weapons, but GKs are not where they go. Put them on GKTs -- where nothing is sacrificed and everything is gained -- or on dedicated fire support units. A minimal, 5-man GK squad with 2x psycannons is relatively common, and while not optimal, not a complete waste of points, either. Maxed purgation squads are OK, too, but the best spot for psycannons, other than GKTs, are on inquisitors with a supporting shooty retinue (2x HB servitor, 1x plasma cannon servitor, 2x sage, 1x mystic).

Also, no reason to give the Justicar a power fist. He's got a STR 6 power weapon already! Plus True Grit with that weapon! Giving him the power fist takes True Grit away and reduces his Init to 1. Again, poor use of points. Buy more GKs!
    GK troops 6+1-- 256
    Incinerators on walking GKs are even more useless than psycannons. Unless you are packing this squad into your LRC (see comments about the LRC below), make this a maxed-out squad of vanilla GKs, as recommended earlier. And definitely take the power fist off the justicar!
    GK LRC --285
    Personally, I think the LRC is a great tank, but too expensive for the DH army -- already uber-expensive -- to afford. However, many people here love it and have some success with it, so it's really a matter of taste. But I do think that you have to solidify the core of your army before you can even consider taking a LRC. Do that first, then take it under consideration.

If you take it, you should either run it empty, or put a squad of GKs in there for rapid transport. This is a tactic where taking incinerators can really pay off. Otherwise, I say avoid 'em. DO NOT put your terminator HQ in here, however! One lucky lascannon shot and your whole game plan is destroyed.

The HK missile is too expensive, and completely superfluous on a LRC, which already has a multi-melta and assault cannon for tank-busting.
    GK dread --148
    Again, the HK missile is not worth it. If you want your dread equipped for tank-busting -- a good idea -- then take a TLLC and ML. Otherwise, this is a fine dread; just add in extra armor.
    Orb Strike Lance --70
    This can definitely hurt an opponent that likes to "tank choke", as you put it, so it may be worth keeping. Always have to tip my hat to people who are willing to use a strike. Just understand that it should be used for controlling the game, psychologically and tactically, and not for killing models or tanks (that's just pure bonus), and you're OK.

That said, you're loading up on lots of expensive units here. Dropping the strike will free up points for more of those GKs! I'd love to see you fill out your Troops squads and still have points left over for a FAGK squad or 2nd dreadnought.
    Last edited by number6; June 12th, 2006 at 17:04.
    ninjabackhand: point and click, again, really? even after i give you an military term "shock tactic" you still call it point and click.
    RIP Warhammer 40,000: 21 Sep 1998 - 24 May 2014

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    103 (x8)

number6 basically hit it right on the head:

GM--200

GK 7+1 Termis--453
    * Never make a GK Hero and an elite GKT squad - always buy the GK Hero a bodyguard. If you Deepstrike them, the Hero will come in at a different point than the other GKT when they're seperate units. And the BC, well, he isn't worth the points and definitely isn't worth giving wargear - he's nothing but a regular GKT, so it isn't any real loss.
    * Waaay too much wargear. I'd say a good rule of thumb is no more than 50pts for the GM, and nothing for a BC, ever. If you're facing a lot of Chaos, give the GM Sacred Incense for sure. Psycannon, Icon of the Just, and/or the Grimoire are all useful - but I wouldn't really use more than one of those three at a time, especially in small games.
    * On a related note, way too many points spent for the size of the game. In 1500 and down, I suggest using a BC and no more than 4 GKT. Total. A GM is too expensive for small lists, especially when he's loaded down with necessary or unnecessary wargear. And 9 GKT in 1500? Ridiculous. All of your eggs are in one basket. Furthermore, if you plan on putting this unit into the LRC (which I assume based on the unit's size), then you're risking even more - if the LRC is destroyed (and it can and does happen regularly), then your too-expensive melee unit has to footslog through enemy fire. Don't let this happen.

GK troops 6+1 --288

GK troops 6+1-- 256
    * Why would you buy a powerfist for a 50pt model that comes with a free S6 power weapon? Tank shock isn't worth it, especially since the unit can take out anything AV12 and lower already. Justicars have no need of additional gear.
    * Special weapons are an issue here. Incinerators in a footslogging unit aren't a good idea (especially not two of them) due only to range. Half of the enemy units that these work best on move too fast for your GK to get the shot & assault anyways. And seriously, stormbolters are GOOD weapons. I understand that in CoD templates are handy - take one Incinerator, if you feel the need. As for the psycannons, to get the most from them you'd need to keep that GK unit stationary (if they will be moving, again stormbolters are a better choice). That, plus when you pay to upgrade your GK with special weapons they lose ALL melee effectiveness - and GK are meant for melee.

GK LRC --285
    I don't really see the need for these upgrades. I also don't see the need for nearly 300pts to be spent on a one-wound model. Anti-tank weapons are cheap and plentiful.

GK dread --148
    Drop the HK Missile, too expensive for a one-time shot. Extra armor always!

Orb Strike Lance --70
    Eh, I'd not bother unless you play terrain-heavy tables (especially ones with rivers or roads). This weapon is better at forcing the enemy to move through certain locations than to gain kills.

You've fallen for one of the common mistakes of DH players: too much wargear and too much concentration on the "shiny" bits of the list. GK of all kinds, from the lowly trooper to the exalted GM, really don't need any wargear to excel. A few choice bits are ok - frags & meltabombs on Justicars, for example, or a psycannon on the GM - but you really don't need to go all out. Also, GKT. They're good, yes. And their models are nice, sure. But they can't carry a list - at their cost, you shouldn't be using more than a handful below 2000pts.

GK in power armor are the real powerhouse of a list like this. A full unit of 10 will net you 20 bolter shots and 21 S6 melee attacks per turn - for the same cost in GKT, you'd be getting 10 bolter shots and 11-12 melee attacks - and the GKT unit would have 5 wounds instead of 10. A puritan GK list of this size should have 2-3 squads of 10 GK, whether they Deepstrike or footslog.

Oh, and please use a spellcheck. Typos are one thing, but regular errors are another. Missile. Daemon. Targeter. Incinerator.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    63 (x2)

Actually, you just plain can't get a powerfist for a Justicar. It states in the armoury section that Grey Knights (regular) cannot change their weapon as it is so "good," or whatever the exact wording is, so your list is illegal right now.
    5th E Sand(Grey) Knights: 11-3 (retired) 5th E Eldar: 37-4 (retired) 5th E Wolves 5-0

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One thing that i didn't see responded to by the others (who all had really good suggestions) was that in place of the powerfists that you want to put on the justicars you can use melta bombs instead. they are a lot cheaper then a fist and they also get the extra armor pen.

The only issue with using the justicar to do death or glory attacks is that if you fail you just lost the best model (and most expensive) in that squad. And since GK's are fearless it might just be best to move aside and charge the rear armor.

+ Reply to Thread