2000 pt DH list - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2000 pt DH list

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2000 pt DH list

Currently I am a 'nid player, but I am really liking the DH modles. The Grey Knights are sweeeet. ne way, here is my list; any help will be greatly appreciated. thanks.

HQ:
    Inquisitor Lord=285
    Bolt Pistol
    Force Weapon
    *Word of the Emperor
    *Scourging
    *Hammerhand
    *Destroy Daemon
    Retinue:
    Sage
    Gun Servitor w/ Heavy Bolter
    Warrior
    Acolite w/ Melta Gun
    Herophant
    Familiar
    Familiar
    Familiar
    Rino Transport

2nt HQ:
    Grey Knight Hero w/ Retinue=395
    Grand Master w/ *Scourging
    Retinue:
    Terminator x 5

Elites:

Grey Knight Terminator Squad=320
    Brother w/ Psycannon and *Holocaust
    Terminator x 4, 1 w/ Psycannon

Vindicare Assassin=110

Troops:

Grey Knight Squad=210
    Justicar
    Grey Knight x 5 1 w/ Psycannon, 1 w/ Incinerator.

Grey Knight Squad=210
    Justicar

Inquisitorial Stormtroopers=190
    Stormtrooper x 10
    Chimera Transport+70 w/ Heavy Bolter Turret Weapon+10, Heavy Bolter in Hull+5

Heavy Support:

Grey Knight Dreadnought w/ TL Lazcannon and Sacred Hull=145

Grey Knight Dreadnought w/ TL Heavy Bolter, Sacred Hull and Psycannon Bolts=135

Thats my list, please cretique it all you want. I want to make a good list and any help will be accepted. thankyou.

Last edited by arcanecantrips; June 13th, 2006 at 18:54.
    They come, they eat, they leave...

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

786 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by arcanecantrips
    Currently I am a 'nid player, but I am really liking the DH modles. The Grey Knights are sweeeet.
    Indeed they are. :yes: Welcome to the DH! It's a challenging but very fun army to play.
    HQ:
    Inquisitor Lord=285
    Bolt Pistol
    Force Weapon
    *Word of the Emperor
    *Scourging
    *Hammerhand
    *Destroy Daemon
    Retinue:
    Sage
    Warrior
    Acolite w/ Melta Gun
    Herophant
    Familiar
    Familiar
    Familiar
    Rino Transport
    Although it's mighty tempting to build a close-combat inquisitor and retinue, you always end up spending a horrific amount of points just to end up with something fragile and of only average effectiveness. Especially since you're playing puritan (i.e., you're taking GKs and GK terminators), you should always leave the close combat duties to the units who are built for it. (Again, GKs and GKTs.)

On the other hand, a common, cost effective, and very powerful build is the "shooty" build: Inquisitor/Inquisitor Lord with a psycannon (and nothing else!), 2x heavy bolter servitors, 1x plasma cannon servitor, 2x sage (use the reroll to save your plasma cannon from overheating), 1x mystic (free shots at deep strikers). Keep it cheap like this, and you can move them down to Elites to save even more points. Keep them as HQ, take advantage of the Lord's Iron Will, and take 3 acolytes to extend/create a majority save where you can have the acolytes take 1st wounds. Common acolyte equipment for this purpose include some or all of: storm bolters, bolters, storm shields, carapace armor.

A chimera for the shooty inquisitor is useful, but usually only to run empty, cause trouble, control line of sight. Sometimes you can quickly set up an advance firebase on the 1st turn, too.
    2nt HQ:
    Retinue:
    Terminator x 5
    Good. About the maximum you should devote to terminators in any DH list. I'd drop scourging and give the GM a psycannon instead. It's far more lethal. If you can find the points for it, give another psycannon to the retinue.
    Elites:

You already have as many GKTs as any list needs in your HQ. Drop these and convert the points into GKs. I love terminators, but there is a point of diminishing returns with them. You only need one unit of them to handle foes their power-armoured brethren struggle against. After that, doing the math leads one to conclude that the points are better spent on GKs themselves, which, even at 25 pts apiece, are a bargain.

In any case, do not be tempted to put holocaust on GKs. Ever. If you fail the psychic test (8.33% chance), you will subject a very expensive model to Perils of the Warp.
    Vindicare Assassin=110
    So long as you use this guy to take out squad powerups -- like hidden powerfists -- and not HQ models or monstrous creatures, this guy is great. You will rarely "make your points back" with this guy in a direct fashion, but if you can degrade your opponent's combat capabilities, then you've done well with him. More generically useful assassins are the Eversor and Callidus.
    Troops:

Grey Knight Squad=210
    Justicar

Grey Knight Squad=210
    Justicar
    Neither of these squads is very useful. You want 8-10 models per squad at a minimum -- GKs attract a lot of fire, and you want them to have enough numbers to win the eventual assault. Also, you should almost never give your GKs special weapons. You are increasing the cost of the model to eliminate all of its combat advantages! No Str 6 NFW? No True Grit? Ouch! Don't forget that the standard storm bolter is a pretty lethal weapon in its own right.

And there are other, additional limitations imposed by the use of special weapons. When the squad moves, the psycannon range is less than that of the storm bolter. It is difficult to get your points worth out of incinerators because GKs have very few transport options, making it rare when you can take full advantage of the template.

Psycannons belong on GKTs, where the NFW is kept and there is no True Grit to sacrifice, or on static fire support squads like the "shooty" inquisitor build. A minimal, 5-man GK squad w/2 psycannons that remains put is also OK, although still a modest points sink, and purgation squads are also OK. But otherwise, keep your GKs vanilla.

Incinerators are useful in only three places: on dreadnoughts, on a Fast Attack GK (FAGK) squad (but no more than 1!), and on a GK squad that you pack into a Land Raider Crusader. In all these situations, you have a better chance to get good template placement. Otherwise, leave your incinerators at home.

And one final note about GKs as Troops: If you've already filled out your 2 Troops choice minimum, all further GK squads should be taken as Fast Attack choices, even if you don't intend to deep strike them. The reason is that you place FA choices last, so you can take a tactical advantage.
    Stormtrooper x 10
    Chimera Transport w/ 2 Heavy Bolters
    Take ISTs because you can get squad heavy/special weapons not otherwise available. Chimera-mounted ISTs should have 8-10 models and 2x plasma guns and form a modest, low-AP firebase. Rhino-mounted ISTs should have 6-10 models and 2x melta guns for tank- and monstrous creature-hunting. Footslogging ISTs should have 8-10 models and either 2x plasma guns or 2x grenade launchers. A very rare IST build has a flaming Chimera (turret and hull flamers) and ISTs with flamers, too. (Really no reason to build a close-combat IST unit when you have access to GKs, though.)

Some people take a vet sgt with a teleport homer on Rhino/melta ISTs to help bring down the GK pain when they reach their targets.
    Heavy Support:

Dreadnoughts should always be optimized for either long-range tank-busting, short-range close combat support, or infantry suppression. Otherwise, some part of the dread goes unused or underutilized every turn of the game. Armor-busting dreads take a TLLC and ML. Close-combat dreads should have an assault cannon and dread CCW. (Thanks to the new AC stats, this dread does a credible job of armor-busting, but at a much reduced range from the TLLC/ML dread. The HB is really not a worthy option when you can have an assault cannon instead.) Anti-infantry dreads should take a plasma cannon and missile launcher: two templates per turn!

As for upgrades: extra armor is a must, smoke launchers on a CC dread for sure, and helpful on the others, too. I'd take a sacred hull only if you know you will oppose chaos.
    Last edited by number6; June 13th, 2006 at 19:17.
    ninjabackhand: point and click, again, really? even after i give you an military term "shock tactic" you still call it point and click.
    RIP Warhammer 40,000: 21 Sep 1998 - 24 May 2014

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

HQ:
    Inquisitor Lord=285
    Bolt Pistol
    Force Weapon
    *Word of the Emperor
    *Scourging
    *Hammerhand
    *Destroy Daemon
    Retinue:
    Sage
    Warrior
    Acolite w/ Melta Gun
    Herophant
    Familiar
    Familiar
    Familiar
    Rino Transport
    to be absolutely this squad is gonna give 300pts to the enemy. the squad is diverse to the extreme and thus is gonna be highly ineffective. when u take a devastator squad you dont take oen of each heavy weapon right? same deal here. either all ranged weapons or specialized assault squad (and if u go with assault, u better be fighting chaos or better, demons). unless going against demons assaulty inquisitor rentinues will be easily out matched by any assault oriented squad.

Force Weapon
    str 3 force weapons arent really worth it, especially if u've purchased hammerhand, they dont work together.

*Word of the Emperor
    *Scourging
    *Hammerhand
    *Destroy Daemon
    this is a massive pointsink, 5 psyhic powers (including force weapon) on one model? just 1 power will be enough, go for something antidemon if u plan on fighting demons or dont get any powers at all.

Sage
    Warrior
    Acolite w/ Melta Gun
    Herophant
    Familiar
    Familiar
    Familiar
    Rino Transpor
    check out the GW.com article on inquisitor configurations, it'll give u a decent on what kind of retinues to attach to ur inquisitors.

Retinue:
    Terminator x 5
    =I= lords arent really worth their points esp with minimum retinue requirements, if ur planning to take a GK hero to fill a HQ then just take a standard =I=, dont take any psyker powers for the GM, for example he wont be able to use his forceweaopn if he's using the scourging

Elites:

2 GKT squads is a bit much, it'll most likely act against ur effectiveness. additionally, try to avoid having to pay for a second brothercaptain in ur army, they suck for their points. also if ur feelin it, give the psycannon to ur GM to take advantage of his bs5

Vindicare Assassin=110
    this guy is probably the most difficult assassin to use effectively. imo ur best off starting DH with a callidus or eversor.

roops:

Grey Knight Squad=210
    Justicar

Grey Knight Squad=210
    Justicar
    too many special weapons with too few bodies in these squads, each of these squads only can take 2 casualty before ur forced to remove special waepon models or the justicar. and only 1 more casualty before they lose scoring status. generally ur going to want to have ur GKPA squads fill fast attack slots, that way if they dont deepstrike then they will at least be able to get to deploy last on the board. dont worry about incinerators, they almost never make back their points. not to mention every special weapon u take on a PAGK costs u 2 str6 ws5 attacks.

Stormtrooper x 10
    Chimera Transport+70 w/ Heavy Bolter Turret Weapon+10, Heavy Bolter in Hull+5
    the beauty of IST squads is their special weapon options and their mobility potential. they're paid to hunt down specific targets and die. i recommend losing some bodies from this squad and pay for 2 meltaguns to compensate for ur army's lack of anti-tank capabilities.

Heavy Support:

DH vehicle upgrades arent too hot, i'd suggest avoiding them unless u know ur going up against chaos/demons. i dont believe GK dreads can take TL heavy bolters, but they can take a psycannon which comes out to be cheaper than equipping a TL HB with psycannon bolts. but imo i suggest u take another TL lascannon and consider also adding missiles pods.

imo the list needs quite a bit of work before it can contesting for victories, but thats understandable if this is ur first list. overall i'd recommend that you keep a open mind regarding non GK DH units and ally options, this is beacause most people who like to focus on GK end up being forced to fielding armies that are crippled before they are even deployed.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

786 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Madeinchina7285
    overall i'd recommend that you keep a open mind regarding non GK DH units and ally options, this is beacause most people who like to focus on GK end up being forced to fielding armies that are crippled before they are even deployed.
    Not true! Obviously the advantage of taking allies, be they inducted guard or allied witch hunters, is to expand the capabilities of your army. But that doesn't mean that a puritan, or even pure GK, daemonhunters army is crippled! (At least Miketehfox might have something to say about that.... )
    ninjabackhand: point and click, again, really? even after i give you an military term "shock tactic" you still call it point and click.
    RIP Warhammer 40,000: 21 Sep 1998 - 24 May 2014

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well... It looks like i've got a bit of work to do on my army before it's battle ready. Thanks for your suggestions and I will be posting my new list here when I can get it ready.

thanks again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
    Wow, tha inquisitor is way too pumped up!
    The gold grey knight man. These are hardy men who like cheese.

Ever thought of how cheese was found?:
    Brother captain
    `` I say sah, the milk in this barrel smells foul!``

Grand master:
    ``Oooohhh, give it a go!``

''Quack, damn you!''
    -Jamie heinamen, Mythbusters.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not true! Obviously the advantage of taking allies, be they inducted guard or allied witch hunters, is to expand the capabilities of your army. But that doesn't mean that a puritan, or even pure GK, daemonhunters army is crippled! (At least Miketehfox might have something to say about that.... )
    hmm lets see, a pure GK army has a pathetic amount of anti-tank power and their "so called" mobility via DS is rather inconsistent. just by those two counts alone a pure GK is already a half empty cup. sure a brilliant general might just be able to win steadily with a pure gk army, but i guanrantee you that a equally brilliant general with a balanced army can wipe the floor with the pure GKs; or even more dastardly, tailor a list from a their codex to pound away at the poor GK, oh noes! whats crippling the pure gk mentality is simply the lack of options and there's no arguing against that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, so I have revised my DH army list, but I still have 39 more pts to put some where, any help will be greatly appreciated.

HQ:

Ordo malleus Inquisitor lord w/ retinue=126
    Inquisitor w/ force weapon, bolt pistol, and word of the emperor.
    3 veteran guardsmen w/ hell pistol and cc weapon.

Elites:

GKT=265
    Brother-Captain w/ psychic hood
    4 Terminators

Vindicare Assassin=110

Troops:

Stormtroopers=205
    10 stormtroopers 2 w/ meltaguns
    mounted in chimera w/ multi lazer and heavy bolter in hull.

Stormtroopers=170
    10 stormtroopers 2 w/ plasmaguns
    mounted in Rhino

Stormtroopers=150
    10 stormtroopers
    mounted in rhino

Grey Knights=270
    Justicar
    9 grey knights

Grey Knights=270
    Justicar
    9 grey knights

Heavy Support:

Land Rader Crusader=255

Grey Knights Dreadnought=140
    TL Lazcannon, Missile Launcher.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i like the new list much better there are just 2 things i'd like to point out.

first and foremost:

Ordo malleus Inquisitor lord w/ retinue=126
    Inquisitor w/ force weapon, bolt pistol, and word of the emperor.
    3 veteran guardsmen w/ hell pistol and cc weapon.
    this squad is still not worth its points. the guardsman with their junky human statline isnt gonna put much of a dent on anything in close combat and a inquisitor also with his junky human statline isnt gonna do much ws5 or not. lastly in regards to psychic power and force weapon usage, they kinda contradict one another in practicality. i'd recommend a more shooty inquisitor ie -
    =I= Lord w/psycannon
    1 sage
    3 heavy bolter servitor
    3 acolyte w/carapace armor + bolter

this squad is quite resilient esp if u put them in some nice cover and can shell out bullets like its no body's business.

the only time i recommend taking a melee inquisitor is if u know you're fighting demons, and even then i wouldnt put much faith in his retinue. i like to take a inquisitor and stick him into the GKT squad, give him a demonhammer + boltpistol, icon of justice and the destroy demon power. taking advantage of the indy character status, this configuration is perfect for taking out demon princes and greater demons. his indy character status will allow him to allocate attacks in btb contact, his anti-demon gear will be sure to prevent retaliation from the scary multi-wound demon. and if u have ur GK brocap also in btb with the banishment power, those demons are as good as gone. of course this is all assuming ur fighting fighting demons.

Stormtroopers=205
    10 stormtroopers 2 w/ meltaguns

Stormtroopers=170
    mounted in Rhino

Stormtroopers=150
    10 stormtroopers
    mounted in rhino
    lower the body count in the first squad to about 6, this is gonna be a fire and forget squad running after the largest armor, and ur opponent will more than likely deny you of a second target, even if this squad fails on their first volley, it is unlikely that they will survive to shoot a second time. with that reasoning i suggest you equip another stormtrooper squad with 2x meltas, why buy 1 for the price of 1 when u can buy 2 for the price of 2 =)

6 stormtroopers 2 w/ meltaguns
    mounted in Rhino

6 stormtroopers 2 w/ meltaguns
    mounted in Rhino

i'd tweak the stormtrooper contingent to something like that, maybe u'll agree.

i'd use the extra points to pay for the shooty inquisitor retinue. the rest of ur list looks good. the LRC should be able to take heat off of ur melta drive-by ISTs and ur GK squads packs a good punch. gluck!
    Last edited by Madeinchina7285; June 16th, 2006 at 02:30.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, so I changed the list a little to reflect more fire power.

HQ:

Ordo Malleus Inquisitor lord w/ retinue=200
    Inquisitor Lord w/ psycannon
    Sage
    3 Heavy Bolter Servitors
    2 Acolites w/ storm bolters

Elites:

GKT=265
    Brother-Captain w/ psychic hood
    4 Terminators

Vindicare Assassin=110

Troops: