2000 pts vs tyranids - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mr Commisar to you Commisarlestat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    332 (x8)

2000 pts vs tyranids

Righty i have a game 2moro against some tyranids that well won a little last time. this time im not allying its all my own army at last sooo here goes (please bear in mind a lot of it is most of models that i own or can borrow so tweaking helps but not ripping apart!!)
    Tactics advice would help to we usually play with a fair amount of terrain 1/4 of the board ish mostly woods and ruins.

HQ
    JO with honorifica, powersword, refractor field
    Mastervox
    mortar 120

mortars 80

Troops 1
    JO with ID bolt pistol
    mortar
    vox

squads 1 and 2 missile launcher and grenade launcher with vox each
    squads 3,4 autocannon and grenade launcher with vox each 477

Troops 2
    JO plasma pistol, powersword, ID
    2x grenade launchers
    1 missile launcher

squads 1,2 and 3 autocannon and grenade launcher 2 with vox 350

Fast Attack
    Sentinel with heavy flamer 40

Heavy support
    Leman russ exterminator 2x hb's twin autocannon and lascannon 145
    Leman russ exterminator 2x hb's twin autocannon and lascannon 145

Elites
    Hardened vets
    7 vets 1 sarge stormbolter, Heavy bolter 2x grenade launchers, plasma gun 110

hardened vets
    9 vets 1 sarge plasmagun 2x grenade launchers and an autocannon 126

total 1553
    tactics at the moment.........

Any hints tips tweaks etc will be welcomed

Last edited by Commisarlestat; June 23rd, 2006 at 18:45.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Master of Those Damn Durable Swords Roland Durendal's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    48 (x2)

More plasma would be good but as you said you don't have anymore to model on. I actually have to run now so I can't give you a full run down, but I'll give you some quick points:

IMHO sniper rifles aren't worth it. Against big critters its ok cuz you have a good chance of owunding him, but odds are the big toughies not only have plenty of wounds, they prolly have a high armor save as well, meaning you waste a shot. Plus whatever your sniper rifle fires at, the rest of the squad must fire at as well, thereby negating your flamer, cuz SR is effective a longer ranges and a flamer is only good close up
    Following on this point, a flamer IMO is only good if you plan on moving around to get the torch on them before they get to you. If this unit is going to be sitting back and waiting for the enemy, then the flamer won't see much use b/c it's range ( I measured the template) is like 8-10". A good assaulty gaunt squad can assault easily 24" or if he wants, he can sit outside that flamer range and then assault his normal (which is in the rulebook as being greater than normal people...I don't want to upset the Mods by posting exact numbers, but a gaunt can charge farther than normal). Thus you have wasted a special weapon which, if you're lucky, may fire once before being assaulted. The only benefit I see in it is if he deep strikes like Genestealers towards you, Cuz then he's stuck for a turn and hopefully will be w/in toasting range.

My advice, drop the SR and the Flamers. Replace it w/ HB and Plasma (and if you don't have plasma) go with a GL. Least then you have a chance of laying down some serious firepower as he comes near.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    178 (x7)

That is a good list against a troop heavy 'Nids list, but if he has a lot of 'Fex's or a Hive Tyrant, you'll have nothing to kill them.

I strongly suggest you take a lot of Lascannons an Plasma Guns. Most 'Nid players I know U/G the monstrous creatures with Extended Carapace and sometime higher toughness. You need some AP2 weaponry.

I was in a tourney a year or so ago, and played against a 'Godzilla' list, and got creamed. I had 5 Lascannons and 9 Plasma Guns!
    "A love for tradition has never weakened a nation, indeed it has strengthened nations in their hour of peril."
    Sir Winston Churchil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with the above. Drop the sniper rifles and flamers. The only squad I could maybe see with a flamer is the AF squad, no one else is likely to ever get the range to fire. And I think Imperial sniper rifles are way worse than they should be. You can't pin Nids with their synapse around and on average it will take over 14 shots to cause 1 wound to a 2+ save Carnifex. That means your 2 units will spend the entire game to cause 1 wound, not worth it at all. While on the other hand, a lascannon only needs 2.4 shots to wound. If you don't have any more lascannon models, take Autocannons or Missile Launchers. Vs 2+ save TMCs they're just as bad as a sniper rifle, but much better vs swarm creatures and 3+ TMCs.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    332 (x8)

so far its drop the snipers and flamers and try to get one of the following

1) more las plas (surprise surprise)
    2) heavy bolters and plasma/grenade
    3) or autocannons/missile launchers to replace snipers and flamers

model wise i think missile launchers is about all i can do here and perhaps some grenade (actually def got loads of grenade launchers) so back to the trusty combo of missile and grenade!! might try lascannons though if can be arsed to finish them! dya reckon i shud put them in squads then or perhaps a dedicated anti big creature AT squad??

PS( game was postponed till next week played against flaming falcons without the hellhound and exterminator and lost though i rolled appaulingly which didnt help)

A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    48 (x2)

Yeahy if you can't get a HB model for the changes I recommended than go w/ a ML and a GL for those 2 squads. Get some more firepower in it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    48 (x2)

sorry double post

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

332 (x8)

righty main list has been edited what do people think of it now?

A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    144 (x3)

Needs some work.

HQ
    JO with honorifica, powersword, refractor, bionics
    Mastervox grenade launcher
    Heavy bolter 118
    Lose the refractor and bionics, those are very pointless pieces of wargear. If the nids start shooting or assaulting him it'll be en masse so just save yourself some unnecessary wastage. I'm not a big fan of powerswords but I'll leave that up to you. A bolt pistol wouldn't be a bad expenditure since the shooting is more useful than a laspistol. Honestly I think you'd do better with officers with Iron Discipline (maybe upgrading a JO to a HSO with the Honorifica for extra redundancy) than the vox network. Iron Discipline is a huge upgrade and officers with ID works out as cheaper than a vox network. Points saved will help you build more redundancy into your network.

Important Point--This applies not only to this unit but to your entire army. Don't bother with grenade launchers. Pay the extra two points per weapon and get plasma. The frag round won't help much against tyranid hordes, and krak is just inferior plasma. Plus with a plasma in every squad, every unit has a decent chance to wound tyranid monstrous creatures. Plus the rapid fire will be useful when they get close up. Take this to heart, plasma for every squad. Increases your firepower dramatically.

mortar squad 80
    heavy bolters 80
    Mortars are atrocious. Not only are they weak and unlikely to inflict many wounds, but with synapse coverage you won't ever pin the nids. Ditch the mortars and get another all-heavy bolter Fire Support Squad.

squads 1 and 2 missile launcher and grenade launcher with vox each
    squads 3,4 and 5 autocannon and grenade launcher with vox each 593
    Not bad, but ditch the Light Infantry and get plasma. You're not going to want to infiltrate any closer to the nids than you have to be. Give your Command Squads heavy bolters so they can add to your firepower. They don't need more than probably one special weapon, though.

AF squad missile launcher and grenade launcher
    chimera with heavy flamer and multilaser and stormbolter 178
    What's the point of this squad? I wouldn't want to be close enough to use that heavy flamer, and that Infantry Squad won't benefit from being mobile. Just add another squad to your infantry platoon and ditch the Chimera.

Hellhound 115
    Sentinel with heavy flamer 40
    One Hellhound is good, two is better. Sentinel with heavy flamer isn't likely to be too effective. Between the points saved on that and the Chimera above, you've got two Hellhounds ready to go. Get them pintle heavy stubbers so they have some extra firepower to throw downfield.

Leman russ exterminator 3x hb's twin autocannon and stormbolter 135
    Basilisk with indirect 125
    Heavy stubber for the Exterminator. And except for a hidden biovore, you won't have much need for indirect fire. You'll have line of sight on the nids as they charge at you, and they'll be underneath 36" range before you can blink. I'd go with a second Exterminator instead, so the nids have to work harder to eliminate all that incoming firepower. If you don't have a second Exterminator or can't proxy, a 3-heavy bolter Russ is almost as good.

Elites
    Hardened vets
    7 vets 1 sarge stormbolter, missile launcher 2x grenade launchers, plasma gun 115
    hardened vets
    9 vets 1 sarge plasmagun 2x grenade launchers and an autocannon 126
    Honestly I'd give them heavy bolters instead. You might as well apply that BS 4 to as many shots as possible. Give them all plasma. That way they can gun down lots of little gaunts, and they're still a threat to the big boys. Adding Drop Troops to your doctrines gives you the option to deep strike one of these squads if you see your opponent has a biovore or something else in his list that'll hang back and cause headaches.

That should cover it. When fighting nids you want lots of infantry, lots of guns. Plasma all round is useful for taking out the small gaunts and can also put wounds on the monstrous creatures. A couple missile launchers is all you need for splattering the big targets, beyond that I'd go all heavy bolters. Autocannons don't really help by serving as a middle ground between HB's and ML's. Plasma gives you plenty of strength 7 weaponry, you just need weight of fire. So Fire Support Squads, Infantry Squads with heavy bolters, Hellhounds, and Exterminators will get you what you need.
    "I would listen to Sokhar. The man's a genius. Listen."
    ~Lord Yossanrion
    "Thanks, Sokhar. There was some legitimately good advice in between the low-grade profanity, blaspheming and veiled insults."
    ~Quick
    "Well thought, intelligently put, with a hint of sarcastic bastard!"
    ~Diggum's Hammer

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

332 (x8)

much as id love to have all of those plasma and heavy bolter combos i dont haave plasma or heavy bolters in anyway near those quantities unfortunately. thats the reason for the grenades they are a substitute for the plasma i dont have. extra hellhound great idea but i dont have one the one im using is borrowed as it is along with the exterminator however i could do a russ (only heavy bolter sponsons) but in a pinch would that be a good idea?
    mortars did more damage than my bassie last game and that was against MEQ's so i dont mind ditching the bassie. autocannons are there cos well i dont have the heavy bolters to go around. (i kinda lack heavy weapons at the moment but all will change if i get this job :yes: ) Af squad i could drop to get more points for the extra russ. Though i find that they always get close and charging a chimera with heavy flamer forward can ruin the day of a gaunt unit.

As for the Jo with HI he has to be fieled like that he kinda became a legend last battle and well that made him a special character. (hes about the only time i roll 6's. Because of the bionics i was going to use him as a very annoying speed bump but might swap him out for a dif model then he can change
    sentinel is a drop trooping decoy. it always pays back its **pts very quickly then hey it can die. itll get his biovore aswell saves a vet squad to support my line.

right so changes are
    1. go for an ID morale support unit, might put a mortar in here as i can then hide from the evil nid shooting. This I may do with all command squads. gets rid of the mortar squad aswell and IMHO the are bout the same as a heavy bolter (which i dont have lol)
    2. heavy bolter from command squad into a vet squad to replace either the missile or autocannon? which dya think?
    3. Russ instead of bassie.
    4. Disapear the light infantry for extra points
    5. ID on all command

sound good? If your in agreement Il tweak the list again. (i dont have my codex here so if any points are out then iid like to know!)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast