[2,000] - Final Version ? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    32 (x2)

[2,000] - Final Version ?

Okely Dokely, decided to drop the single DSing vet meltas in favour of stronger ranged AT vet squad and made the pln hqs more mobile, while dropping the Army Banner and putting in a mortar to encourage HQ to stay under cover.

Leaving aside the vehicle element (which is already building) - what do you reckon?

Doctrines

Grenadiers
    Veterans

HQ

Command Platoon

Command Squad
    HSO, B/Pistol, P/Sword, Carapace, Banner, Medic, M/Vox, Meltagun
    138pts

ELITES

Hardened Veterans: Vet. Sgt., Vox, 3 x Meltaguns, 1 x Lascannon
    145pts

Hardened Veterans: Vet. Sgt., Vox, 3 x Meltaguns, 1 x Lascannon
    145pts

TROOPS

1st Platoon

Command: JO, Power Sword, Medic, Vox, M/L
    76pts

1st Squad: Sergeant, Vox, G/L, A/C
    88pts

2nd Squad: Sergeant, Vox, G/L, A/C
    88pts

3rd Squad: Sergeant, Vox, G/L, A/C
    88pts

2nd Platoon

Command: JO, Power Sword, Medic, Vox, M/L
    76pts

1st Squad: Sergeant, Vox, G/L, A/C
    88pts

88pts

88pts

3rd Platoon

Storm troopers: Vet. Sgt. P/Sword, 2 x G/L
    127pts
    &
    Chimera: Autocannon, Hull H/B, Extra Armour
    90pts

FAST ATTACK

Hellhound, Extra Armour
    120pts

Sentinel Squadron
    2, Sentinels, Autocannon, Extra Armour
    110pts

HEAVY SUPPORT

Conqueror: Hull H/B, Sponson H/B, Extra Armour
    165pts

Exterminator, Hull H/B, Sponson H/B, Extra Armour
    140pts

140pts

Total 2,000pts

Last edited by vorlon; June 16th, 2006 at 12:21.
    Only an idiot fights a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the kingdom of idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    79 (x1)

Straight off the bat, i notice one fairly minor point, the veteran support squads should probably have plasma guns instead of melta's for the increased range, generally they will have to move to fire the meltas which means they cant fire the lascannon...... Plasma gives you some longer ranged kick against light tanks, and heavy infantry....

Also if the HQ intends to stay under cover, then why the melta gun??
    Inquistion force WIP. Pics on posts 17 and 23.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    32 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Cripsin
    Straight off the bat, i notice one fairly minor point, the veteran support squads should probably have plasma guns instead of melta's for the increased range, generally they will have to move to fire the meltas which means they cant fire the lascannon...... Plasma gives you some longer ranged kick against light tanks, and heavy infantry....

Also if the HQ intends to stay under cover, then why the melta gun??
    That's what I had originally and then when back and edited it :rolleyes:

I guess I just like the idea of meltas if I need to take on armour for the AT squads and last ditch HQ attack, particularly when it comes to urban fights & shorter ranges, - something about the cadian plasma model and the rolling "1"s that just doesn't do it for me - it's fluffy and probably not very efficient I know - but there ya go :wacko:
    Only an idiot fights a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the kingdom of idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    144 (x3)

Meltaguns sound good in theory, but think of it from your opponent's end....Is there any possible reason whatsoever that you'd be silly enough to roll one of your Russes within 6" of 3 Space Marines holding meltaguns? No? Then don't bother with them on your Vets. The short range of a meltagun makes them useless in standard line squads. If you're deep striking them as suicide troops you can work with it, or if you've got them loaded in a transport you have a shot. Otherwise, just don't bother. 3 plasma guns can effectively reach out 24" to touch someone, and they'll definitely feel it.

For that reason at the least, you need to give plasma to your Hardened Veterans, they'll make great use of it. Plasma or melta for the Grenadier Squad (your choice). Aside from lack of representative models, there's really no reason to bother giving grenade launchers to standard sit-and-shoot Guard squads. Always go with plasma. Don't ever let anyone tell you otherwise. One of these days I'm going to write a basic Guard tactica, and that'll be on the the central tenants right after "Get lots of Guard" and "Heavy weapons = Good." For a competitive list, consider plasma guns a compulsory addition to Guard Infantry Squads. Make sense?

And unless you know you're not going against any heavy armor, you need to swap some autocannons for lascannons. Your list will be death to armor 10-12, and decently scary to 13, but anything with armor 14 is going to laugh at all those autocannons (nice to see your fetish rearing its double-barrelled head again ). At the least, free up some points by ditching the extra armor on the sentinels (if not ditching the whole unit entirely). Giving extra armor or crew compartments to sentinels to try and make them more survivable is a waste of time.
    "I would listen to Sokhar. The man's a genius. Listen."
    ~Lord Yossanrion
    "Thanks, Sokhar. There was some legitimately good advice in between the low-grade profanity, blaspheming and veiled insults."
    ~Quick
    "Well thought, intelligently put, with a hint of sarcastic bastard!"
    ~Diggum's Hammer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    32 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Sokhar
    Meltaguns sound good in theory, but think of it from your opponent's end....Is there any possible reason whatsoever that you'd be silly enough to roll one of your Russes within 6" of 3 Space Marines holding meltaguns? No? Then don't bother with them on your Vets. The short range of a meltagun makes them useless in standard line squads.
    For that reason at the least, you need to give plasma to your Hardened Veterans, they'll make great use of it. Plasma or melta for the Grenadier Squad (your choice).
    And unless you know you're not going against any heavy armor, you need to swap some autocannons for lascannons. Your list will be death to armor 10-12, and decently scary to 13, but anything with armor 14 is going to laugh at all those autocannons (nice to see your fetish rearing its double-barrelled head again ).
    Hmm.

I had a long hard look at the list after this.

Nearly 300pts for just 2 BS4 Lascanons and 6 Plasma seemed excessive.

I wasn't making any use of the HQ ability to take squads.

It hadn't got any snipers - and I really wanted some.

AT was very weak.

Despite Sokhar's Tactica plasma was out, bloopers were in (it's a flaw, like autocannon fetishism), but he was right on the money about static meltaguns - they weren't going to hit diddly until they were overrun.

So we start again:

Doctrines

Storm Trooper Squads
    Special Weapon Squads
    Sharpshooters
    Rare Tank: Conqueror*
    Rare Tank: Exterminator*

HQ

Command Platoon

Command Squad
    HSO, B/Pistol, P/Sword, Carapace, Medic, Standard, M/Vox
    128pts

Anti-Tank Squad
    3 x Lascannons, Sharpshooters
    120pts

Anti-Tank Squad
    3 x Lascannons, Sharpshooters
    120pts

Special Weapon Squad
    3 x Sniper Rifles
    65pts

ELITES

Storm troopers: Vet. Sgt. P/Sword, Vox, 2 x G/L
    132pts
    &
    Chimera: Autocannon, Hull H/B, Extra Armour
    90pts

TROOPS

1st Platoon

Command: JO, P/Sword, Medic, Vox, 1 x Plasma gun
    71pts

1st Squad: Sergeant, Vox, G/L, M/L
    88pts

88pts

88pts

2nd Platoon

Command: JO, P/Sword, Medic, Vox, 1 x Plasma gun
    71pts

1st Squad: Sergeant, Vox, G/L, M/L
    88pts

88pts

88pts

FAST ATTACK

Hellhound, Extra Armour
    120pts

Sentinel Squadron
    2, Sentinels, Autocannon, Extra Armour
    110pts

HEAVY SUPPORT

Conqueror: Hull H/B, Sponson H/B, Extra Armour
    165pts

140pts

140pts

Total 2,000pts

*Technically these are Armoured Company only doctrines, but taking them this way I feel it forces a restriction on the Army so it's not too "cheesy" for want of a better word.

Basically I'll assign 1 AT squad to within Ld range of each Platoon HQ, and the Snipers to within Ld Range of Army HQ if possible.

6 x Lascannons at BS3.5 should provide more of a crimp for any heavy enemy armour, plus 2 x Missile Launchers, 9 x Autocannons (2 twin-linked), 11 x Heavy Bolters, 1 x Conqueror Battle Cannon, 8 x Grenade Launchers, 3 x Sniper Rifles, 2 x Plasma guns and an Inferno Cannon should give me a nice mix of predominantly long-ranged weaponry.

Last edited by vorlon; June 17th, 2006 at 14:40.

+ Reply to Thread