1500 Point - True Grit/Counter Assault - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1500 Point - True Grit/Counter Assault

I've been trying to work out an army that can capitalize on True Grit and Counter Assault, as I'm a Blood Ravens player and am a little tired of building around Infiltrate. Here it is. Tactics to follow...

Traits -
    Trust Your Battle Brothers
    See But Don't Be Seen
    Flesh Over Steel

HQ - 181

Brother Librarian Maro - 181
    > Epistolary, Jump Pack, Familiar, Terminator Honors, Might of Heroes, Bolt Pistol, Bionics, Melta Bombs

Elite - 140

Dreadnought Aulus - 140
    > Extra Armor, Drop Pod

Troops - 690

Tactical Squad Ligus - 230
    > 10x Space Marines, Terminator Honors, Power Fist, Meltagun, Missile Launcher, True Grit, Counter Attack

Tactical Squad Gallus - 230
    > 10x Space Marines, Terminator Honors, Power Fist, Meltagun, Missile Launcher, True Grit, Counter Attack

Tactical Squad Tuscus - 115
    > 6x Space Marines, Lascannon, Plasma Gun

Tactical Squad Siculus - 115
    > 6x Space Marines, Lascannon, Plasma Gun

Fast Attack - 262

Assault Squad Benignus - 262
    > 10x Assault Marines, Terminator Honors, Power Fist, 2x Flamers - 262

Heavy Support - 224

Devastator Squad Serenus - 224
    > 8x Space Marines, 4x Missile Launchers, Infiltrate - 224

1497 Points
    52 Models

The build is designed around the "come here, but go away" strategy where I use my long range fire from my Lascannons, Missile Launchers, and Bolters to force the enemy to have to close. The Assault Squad are there to take on fast moving chargers (i.e. things with Jump Packs) that can assault from outside Rapid Fire range. The 10-man Tactical Squads screen the Lascannon squads from assault, Rapid Fire when the enemy close to within 12" before they can assault, and counter assault when the enemy finally does charge in. The Devastator Squad is my ace in the hole. The Librarian moves with the Assault Squad, and, using Might of Heroes, allows them to clean through a squad a little faster in order to move to the next threat, while also giving the army an easy option for dealing with nasty Monstrous Creatures with 20 wounds. The Dreadnought is there purely for psychological effect, but also allows me to drop in behind the enemy as they close or to tie up part of the enemy's forces while I readjust if I must.

My concerns are with armies that are not going to want to close on me (i.e. Guard, Tau). Do you think that this force will be able to play the ranged game as well as they can, provided I set up in such a way as to avoid all their ranged fire power for a few turns? Or, will I have to send those True-Gritted Marines forward to fight them up close? Thoughts?

Last edited by relasine; June 21st, 2006 at 02:17.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Still no thoughts here?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like this list. Nice base of operation with the 2 10 man squads, with the smaller squads to deal with armor. Though I never really understood plasma guns in Lascannon units. the LC is used to take out armor, which the plasma gun probably wont have the range or Str to do nearly as well, though I suppose its good to shoot a unit before they charge you.

This list isnt what I would normally like to play, so my opinions are going to be biased.
    Not a big venerable dread fan. Here is why:
    Yours is 173 points, for 226 points you can get 2 non drop pod, AC/DCCW smoke,xtra armor dreads.

These 53 points can be found in little places, the 2 plasma guna and master crafting gives you 35 of the points, so if you can find 18 points, you can have 2 dreads on the board which is much scarier then one drop podding in the earliest turn two, if you ask me.

And the proof i'm not a marine player in heart, I don't like assault squads, lol. Totally a personal thing, but i'm sure that unit will do well, though it is obviously the biggest baddest thing on the table first turn(Without the dreads) so it is going to attract alot of attention.

Those are my thoughts, do with them what you will.

-Steve-
    Last edited by MasokisticAngel; June 20th, 2006 at 19:20.

He's coming for you...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    38 (x2)

I've only tried playing a list like that against Necrons, which close in somewhat... but, yes, you're almost certain to need to close in on a shooty army. I've heard good things about running six of the 4 bolter/4 ML dev squads, although it seems like it'd be a touch boring to play.

Your list sounds like it should be fairly fun to play though, which is good. It's a bit slow, but hopefully that won't bite you too often. One change I would make is to add a pair of missile launchers to your two 10 man dev squads. You're trying to bring the enemy to you, so some extra firepower will help. MLs are cheap (Lascannons aren't that expensive either really) and will mesh well with your army.
    You play your game, I'll play mine.

Tactical Avante-Gard <E!_Mance>'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    108 (x6)

Hey, um, Realsine? Gimme a minute before I can arrive.

I'm a Vet of True Grit Squads and they are the bomb.
    You don't need to worry about the Tau & Guard not wanting to assault you because of one simple thing. YOU'RE MARINES! If they won't come to you, you can still bolter their asses to oblivion.

One thing I have to say to you though is to remove the Plasma rifles from the True Grit sqauds. These guys LIVE off of numbers. Having an accidental death because you decided to rapid-fire the plasma rifle isn't good enough. So you choose to only fire once and go to max range, still possibly dying? STILL not good enough. These sqauds are best used as a 230pt squad including a vet sarge with powerfist and a Melta marine. Meltaguns have the same range as rapid fire, but allow you to rip apart tanks at range and insta-kill even our own. Meltaguns are better than BOlters for True grit sqauds. I swear it.

Even though this is my own biased opinion, but not once have I not heard a little anguished scream as I Melt an enemy Shas'o Tau commander (4 wounds) in one shot. Never have I failed with a 10 man charge to meltafire a massive tank advance into slag and use their corpses to continue the crusade.

And it might be better to make those two small tactical sqauds 5 men strong. Pair them off and move out together. Maybe you could place the 2 spares to your 8 man devs. When infiltrating, they'll have a lot of oppurtunity to bolt an enemy advance when (if) the enemy is low on armoured platoons.

Also, don't put smoke launchers on a Dread. Especially with the Assault Cannon. No shooting of the 4 shot rend gun? You must be joking.

But what you have here is a list very similar to mine, and I'm undefeated yet due to Scipio-like tactics (thanks dad) and the use of true grit Space Marines. This is my kind of list.
    Post your army lists in the ARMY LIST section! Not that hard!
    48W/7D/11L

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the points all, I'll try to address them in order.

MAngel -

I agree completely. The problem, however, is that I am one Dreadnought short of making that work. Putting Venerable on that Dread is really a filler element, as is the MC'd Force Weapon (which is the first thing you tossed in favor of another Dread, mind).

BobDole -

I've been contemplating picking up a pair of Heavy Bolter Marines to go in those 10-man Tactical squads, as I think a pair of Heavy Weapons would work quite well in there, seeing as how they're supposed to stand there and force the enemy to close (or get shot at). I do, however, have a pair of Missile Launcher bits sitting in my bits box that I could magnet up and put on my extra Modular Marines&#174;. The 20 points can be salvaged from my filler stuff... I'll think hard about this, as I think this idea has a lot of promise.

EMance - I see your point on the Plasma Guns in the 10-man Squads. I put them there because I knew I needed some kind of special weapon in the squad and thought it a better choice than the Meltagun, but I think the point you've made is quite strong. I'll swap out those Plasma Guns for Meltas. As for the Smoke Launchers on the Dread, it's pure filler, and I'll probably have to pull it to make room for Missile Launchers per BobDole's suggestion. As far as dumping the 6th man in the shooty squads, I'll think about it. I really like having 6 men as a minimum for Morale purposes.

All things considered, I have about 53 points of filler here in the form of the Master-Crafter Force Weapon, Bionics, Venerable/Furious Charge, and Smoke Launchers. 20 of that will be going towards Missile Launchers (dumping the MC Force Weapon and Bionics), leaving me with another 33 to piss away. Any suggestions for the last 33?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

108 (x6)

Sorry to not answer your question, but you can always rely on the low Ld value of our enemy. You only need 5 men in your shooty tac squads if you keep your 10 man gritty squads ahead of them as the enemy will need to take a test to even TRY to make you take yours. And even then, your other squad will be standing strong, so you still get a Lascannon shot off.

With a list like this I wouldn't know what to do with 33pts. Maybe you could use it to give your army the super secret, ultra-effective special ability, "Make enemy player a big fat idiot". It makes your foe tactically stupider as they notice your lack of points. :wacko:
    48W/7D/11L

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I'm so bewildered as to what I should do with it that the best idea still seems to be to make that Dreadnought Venerable again.

Another though occurs, however. If I dump those Missile Launchers I just added and find another 7 points, I could give Infiltrate to my 2 10-man squads in addition to True Grit. If I dump the 6th man in each of my Shooty squads I could Infiltrate both of them as well... Hmm...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

108 (x6)

*stunned silence*
    It's...
    ...just so...
    ...BEAUTIFUL!!!

*more stunned silence*
    If you weren't a guy, I'd kiss you right now. Go for it!
    48W/7D/11L

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Could always upgrade the codicier to an epistolary, extra wound is nice, and extra LD will help you get MOH off more often.

He&#39;s coming for you...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast