1,500 Trait Chapter - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1,500 Trait Chapter

My trait chapter, the Storm Dragons, takes Cleanse & Purify and See But Don't Be Seen... That said, here's my 1,500 army list for your critiquing pleasure

HQ 169

Librarian Galfrius
    Force Weapon, Storm Bolter, Psychic Hood, Might of Heroes,
    Fury of the Ancients, Terminator Armor, Familiar

Elites 425

Venerable Dreadnaught Cedril
    T.L. Lascannon, M. Launcher, Tank Hunter, Extra Armor

Terminator Squad Ascerius
    Br. Captain Ralius Ascerius w/4 Terminators
    Assault Cannon, Cyclone, 2x Chainfist

Troops 430

Tactical Squad Terentius
    Br. Sgt. Terentus w/ 9 Marines
    Sgt. Terminator Honors, Squad Meltagun

Tactical Squad Corbin
    Br. Sgt. Corbin w/ 7 Marines
    Sgt. Terminator Honors, Plasma Pistol, CCW, Squad 2x Plasma Gun

Scout Team Varin
    Br. Sgt. Varin w/4 Scouts, 4x Sniper Rifle

Fast Attack 140

Assault Squad Martius
    Br. Sgt. Martius w/4 Assault Marines
    Sgt. T. Honors, Power Weapon, Combat Shield

Heavy Support 326

Devastaor Squad Maxentius
    Br. Sgt. Maxentius w/ 6 Marines
    Squad – Infiltrate, Heavy Bolter, M. Launcher, Plasma Cannon

Predator Annihilator
    Sponson-Mounted Heavy Bolters

TOTAL POINTS: 1,490

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Couple things...

1. Change the Terminator Squad to a Terminator Command Squad and run the Libararian with them.

2. Tactical Squads should either move or stay put, so build them that way. A moving/assaulting squad should be armed with a Meltagun (well done there) and a Power Fist Sergeant with Terminator Honors and a Bolt Pistol. Never put Plasma Pistols on Sergeants, as the "Gets Hot!" can bite you in the butt. Squads that stay put and shoot should be armed with a Plasma Gun and a Heavy Weapon and should only have 6 or 7 guys in it and don't require a Veteran Sergeant with Terminator Honors.

3. Sniper Squads are pretty good, but really require 8 Scouts with Sniper Rifles to get full effect. Pump up that squad to 8.

4. Assault Squads need as many models as possible. Boost them up to at least 8 and you can ditch the Combat Shield as you want to allocate wounds to your other models.

5. Devastator Squads work best with 4 matched weapons, pref. Missile Launchers or Heavy Bolters, in 8-man squads. Infiltrate is the way to go with Devs, so kudos on that.

6. The Predator lay out is good. Stick Extra Armor on it if you can spare the points.
    Based on your build as a template, I would run...

HQ - 345

Terminator Command Squad - 345
    Codicier - Terminator Armor, Storm Bolter, Familiar, Might of Heroes (145)
    4x Terminators - 2x Assault Cannons (200)

Elite - 130

Dreadnought - Lascannon, Extra Armor (130)

Troops - 464

Tactical Squad - 10x Marines, Power Fist, Terminator Honors, 2x Meltagun (205)
    Tactical Squad - 6x Marines, Lascannon, Plasmagun (115)
    Scout Squad - 8x Scouts, 8x Sniper Rifles (144)

Fast Attack - 206

Assault Squad - 8x Marines, Power Fist, Terminator Honors, (206)

Heavy Support - 349

Devastator Squad - 8x Marines, 4x Missile Launchers, Infiltrate (224)
    Predator Annihilator - Heavy Bolter Sponsons, Extra Armor (125)

Hope that helps. Cheers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good advice on mixing the Librarian and Terminators, that would probably help him survive a little longer under heavy fire. As for the Tac Squads, though, since a Plasma Gun is only the same range as a bolter, wouldn't it make more sense to keep them as a mobile firing team, and to forego the heavy weapon in favor of a second plasma gun? More snipers definitely makes sense, and I'll see what I can do about the Devastators... It's mostly a matter of trying to get more models.

Sound advice though, it's definitely gonna be a consideration for me... Thanks for the input!

Anyone else have any advice to throw in?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On the Tactical Squad thing...

Squads that move around should have weapons that are best used while moving like the Meltagun and have maximum numbers as they will get into close combat. Squads the stay put and shoot should have minimal numbers and be armed with a Plasma Gun and a long range Heavy Weapon like a Missile Launcher, Plasma Cannon, Heavy Bolter, or Lascannon. The reason why the numbers should be minimal (6 in most cases to minimize chance of having to make bad command checks after deaths and to maximize efficiency) is because those squads are there to really support the heavy/special weapons and that's it.

Stand and Shoot = 6 Marines, Heavy Weapon, Plasma Gun
    Move and Assault = 10 Marines, Power Fist Sgt., Meltagun

Try and pump that Dev Squad up to 8. You'll be more than glad that you did.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mostly I agree with Relasine's comments and list.

My only comments are:
    -You might consider dropping the storm bolter to a bolt pistol. It's a toss up with a close combat character in a squad with shooting power, but in general, +1 attack is very good and it will save 4 points.

-Put a missile launcher in the scout unit

-As for the plasma gun/heavy weapon thing, it really depends how you want to use the squad. If you're going to just stand and shoot las/plas is hard combo to beat. If you're going to infiltrate the squad closer and shoot, 2 plasma guns is very viable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tibbles
    My only comments are:
    -You might consider dropping the storm bolter to a bolt pistol. It's a toss up with a close combat character in a squad with shooting power, but in general, +1 attack is very good and it will save 4 points.
    The HQ choice with the Storm Bolter is in Terminator Armor, so the Bolt Pistol is not allowed. If it were in regular Power Armor, I'd agree completely with this assessment, however.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ah, right. I use the upgrade so rarely, forgot some items weren't allowed. Guess you're stuck then.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I'll miss the extra attack, but with Might of Heroes I can make up for it and then some... He could easily hit 5-8 attacks on the charge with his Force Weapon and MoH, so I think I'm content to give him a little extra protection in place of the extra attack from the pistol.

I think I like the 2x Plasma layout for a mobile shooting squad, but I'll definitely consider breaking the other one up into two smaller stand-and-shoot squads... I'm trying not to do too much in the way of buying a lot of extra models, so I may use my two Plasma Cannon models for those squads instead of Lascannons.

As a final note, I've got room to pick up an extra box and maybe a blister or two... As far as a box goes, would I be wiser to get some more Tactical Marines, maybe drop the Dreadnaught and add in some extra Marines? Or should I consider beefing up the Assault squad instead?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you're talking about beefing up your list to better match Relasine's suggested list, I'd get the Assault marine box and pick up the heavy weapons in blisters. After that, then work on the Tacticals and Scouts.

Until you've got the rest of your anti-tank, I'd keep the Dreadnought in there. After that it'd be preference.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm thinking that without the Dreadnaught (which is usually my main AT weapon, but gets killed way too easily) I still have the T.L. Lascannon on the Predator and some heavy weapons in my Devastator Squad to handle tanks. If things get really dire, my Terminators with their Chainfists could take down a vehicle, but I'm thinking that the Devs and Predator might be enough to handle armor. Heck, even the Plasma Guns could take out lighter armored targets.

The main reason I want to drop the Dread is to open up a lot more room for regular marines... I feel like my list has too few men on the ground.

+ Reply to Thread