[1500] Desert Rats, 3rd Legion - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    ISIS Secret Agent Squishy mpdscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    332 (x7)

[1500] Desert Rats, 3rd Legion

Loosly based on the French Foreign Legion, the Desert Rats are primarily an infantry based force. The 3rd Legion has gained a reputation for the stalwart defence of urban zones, through intense and accurate firepower, combined with high trajectory ordnance to counter any cover that may be found. Although they lack integral armoured support, the Desert Rats carry a significant amount of man-portable munitions capable of eliminating light to medium grade support vehicles. In order to add some mobility to it's forces, the Desert Rats utilise a small elite cadre of cavalry, trained for lightning assaults to break enemy offensives.

Desert Rats - 3rd Legion (1500) IG: Doctrines Army

Doctrines
    Allow Heavy Weapon Platoons
    Allow Rough Riders
    Skills and Drills: Light Infantry
    Skills and Drills: Sharp Shooters
    Special Equipment: Chem Inhaler

Command Platoon (HQ) @ 224 Pts
    4 Command Squad; Autocannon; Lasguns (x2); Grenade Launcher (x1); Chem Inhaler; Light Infantry; SharpShooters
    1 Senior Officer; Bolt Pistol; Power Weapon

6 Mortar Squad; Mortars (x3); Lasguns; Chem Inhaler; Light Infantry; SharpShooters

5 Hardened Veterans (Elites) @ 113 Pts
    Autocannon; Lasguns (x1); Grenade Launcher (x3); Chem Inhaler; Light Infantry
    1 Hardened Veteran Sergeant; Bolt Pistol; Close combat Weapon

1 Infantry Platoon (Troops) @ 300 Pts
    4 Command Squad; Autocannon; Lasguns (x2); Grenade Launcher (x1); Chem Inhaler; Light Infantry; SharpShooters
    1 Junior Officer; Bolt Pistol; Close combat Weapon

9 Infantry Squad; Sniper Rifle; Lasguns; Grenade Launcher; Chem Inhaler; Light Infantry; SharpShooters
    1 Sergeant; Shotgun

9 Infantry Squad; Sniper Rifle; Lasguns; Grenade Launcher; Chem Inhaler; Light Infantry; SharpShooters
    1 Sergeant; Shotgun

2 Infantry Platoon (Troops) @ 300 Pts

1 Sergeant; Shotgun

1 Sergeant; Shotgun

4 Rough Riders (Fast Attack) @ 62 Pts
    Shotguns (x2); Grenade Launcher (x2)
    1 Rough Rider Veteran Sergeant; Close combat Weapon; Shotgun

4 Rough Riders (Fast Attack) @ 62 Pts
    Shotguns (x2); Grenade Launcher (x2)
    1 Rough Rider Veteran Sergeant; Close combat Weapon; Shotgun

1 Heavy Weapon Platoon (Heavy Support) @ 439 Pts

6 Fire Support Squad; Autocannon (x3); Lasguns; Chem Inhaler; Light Infantry; SharpShooters
    6 Mortar Squad; Mortars (x3); Lasguns; Chem Inhaler; Light Infantry; SharpShooters

Models in Army: 100

Total Army Cost: 1500

Autocannons: 8
    Mortars: 9
    Sniper Rifles: 4
    Grenade Launchers: 15
    Lasguns: 49
    Shotguns: 10
    -------------------------------------------------
    This is purely a theoretical army list. I found some great looking French Foreign Legion minis , and some cheap desert theme buildings online, and they gave me a little inspiration for this list

Mysterious Member of the ANZAC Clan

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    79 (x1)

I think that this army definatly needs some more anti-tank punch, at the moment you cant even scratch AV:14 vehicles.......

And why chem-inhalers, it wasn't mentioned in the fluff and isn't that good really...

Rough riders without lances?!? They are fluffy sure..... But a bit poo without a big explosive stick IMHO.

The fluff is great though, and a nice theme!!
    Inquistion force WIP. Pics on posts 17 and 23.

ISIS Secret Agent Squishy mpdscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    332 (x7)

a little more reasoning seems to be in order.
    The purpose behind the Chem-Inhalers, is more for the rule than the traditional fluff basis. The Desert Rats do not retreat, instead they dig in. I know most people would instead go for either Die Hard or Iron Discipline, but they don't have the rule I was after. Although if I was to actually build the army, I'd see about modelling some gas masks on their hips or something (not on their faces) just so that it is shown.
    The Rough riders without lances? That's easy to explain, it's a once only weapon, after which they're screwed, I'd rather the chance to use them more than once, and with a pair of Grenade Launchers in each squad, they've got a bit of flexibility.
    How often are IG going to be facing the front of an AV14 tank in an urban zone, if they're playing right? They don't need missiles or lascannons, oh, and it's not as fluffy.
    Mysterious Member of the ANZAC Clan

Master of Those Damn Durable Swords Roland Durendal's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    48 (x2)

Some points:

-Drop Sniper rifles....they seem awesome statswise, but gamewise they blow. Big time. They're only good for trying to wound Monstrous creatures or multi-wound beasties.
    - You really don't have any solid AT capability, but if you think you can easily get thedrop on enemy side armor then by allmeans...just don't be surprised if the enemy never allows you the oppurtunity to hit is flank...
    -I'm not a huge fan of GL's anymore....sure their Krak 'nade is powerful, but it lacks the anti-MEQ AP value which makes melta/plasma more effective. I'd suggest putting at least plasma on your vets....justify it by saying only the elite of the elite can use them. That way you got some good AP2 weaponry.
    - In the squads w/ the SRs, once you get rid of said sniper rifles, I'd put in another heavy weapon. If you don't want to use MLs or LCs cuz of fluff and your confident in your tactics, then fine. But at least but in HBs. 3 shots a turn means you have a better chance of hitting and wounding the enemy and will force him to think twice about advancing.
    -I'm personally not a huge fan of mortars but its fluffy for your army and you have a lot. So I think they may prove effective. Mortars in large numbers to me seem like they'd be more effective. I mean 9 mortars? Damn.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    79 (x1)

I didnt neccesarily mean lascannons, but maybe meltas in the veteran squad, or rough riders. Also i would drop the snipers.... I quite like them in dedicated squads (special weapon squads or ratlings) but in infnatry squads they are a bit lame......

Oh and remeber that rough riders aren't actually any faster than infantry if you intend to shoot, so they really are not that mobile.....
    Inquistion force WIP. Pics on posts 17 and 23.

+ Reply to Thread