1000 friendly Vostryn Theme - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1000 friendly Vostryn Theme

this is my first shot at a 40K list, and this list is meant to be more of a list that will be fun to paint, rather than a really competetive list. I really need help in arming the units since i dont have a lot of experience in 40K.

Ordo Malleus Inquisitor Lord-99Pts
    DaemonHammer
    Hierophant
    Warrior
    Familiar

3 Grey Knight terminators-153pts
    Brother Captain

5 Grey Knights-185pts
    Justicar
    Psycannon
    Incinerator

5 Grey Knights-175pts
    Justicar
    Psycannon

2x10 Inquisitoral Stormtroopers-200pts

10 Battle sister squad-110
    sister Superior

Any advice would be appreciated, please be critical.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

786 (x8)

Welcome to the DH! There's nothing more fun to paint than GKs and inquisitors....
    However, if you're only interested in collecting, then there's no point in posting a list for comments. I'll assume you want a reasonably competitive army with the units you seem to favor.
    Quote Originally Posted by SgtSnipe
    Ordo Malleus Inquisitor Lord-99Pts
    DaemonHammer
    Hierophant
    Warrior
    Familiar
    Extremely fluffy, an inquisitor tooled for taking down daemons. However, close-combat inquisitors are just not that effective. And this is doubly true when you take GKs, who are far superior and more effective for the points at assaults. A squad of vanilla GKs will outperform a fully kitted out CC inquisitor and retinue, and for fewer points. The best build for an inquisitor and retinue is "shooty". Give the inquisitor a psycannon (maybe auspex, too) -- and nothing else! Take two heavy bolter gun servitors, a plasma cannon servitor, 2 sages (BS 5 for the inquisitor and a reroll) and a mystic (free shots at deep strikers). A unit this small make fine Elites, providing a modest points savings. For an HQ, add 1-3 acoloytes with carapace armor and bolters or storm bolters for cheap wounds that can also provide some extra shooting punch.

However, if you really want a close-combat inquisitor ... well, the best bet is a Witch Hunter inquisitor, 'cause you can get Crusaders and Chirurgeons in the retinue, and power weapons cost only 10 points (as opposed to 15 for the DH).

But if you really really want a DH CC inquisitor, you may as well kit him out for daemon-smacking, too. At least it's a fluffy excuse to have him then. You're on the right track, trying to spend as little as possible, but you haven't spent enough to make him worth anything yet. For the inquisitor, a daemonhammer, bolt pistol, artificer armor, icon of the just, sacred insense, and two psychic powers (you'll need a familiar, so may as well). Word of the Emperor is my first choice, most of the others are good 2nd choices, holocaust is probably the most generally useful of the bunch. Take a familiar, a combat servitor, two vet guardsmen w/meltas, and 3 acolytes with storm shields, cc weapons and bolt pistols. A Rhino is a must to transport this unit into range ASAP.
    3 Grey Knight terminators-153pts
    Brother Captain
    Nice. I always like to have 5-6 termies in a unit, but 4 are OK. If you have points to spare, psycannons are the one upgrade always worth providing.
    5 Grey Knights-185pts
    Justicar
    Psycannon
    Incinerator

5 Grey Knights-175pts
    Justicar
    Psycannon
    These units are too small to survive. GKs attract a lot of fire, so you should always have 8 or more in a unit in order to survive and win the eventual assault. Unless you revise your list to include more GKs, combine them into a single unit.

It's rarely a good idea to give PAGKs special weapons. You increase the cost of already-expensive models while decreasing their combat effectiveness! If you're spending points to sacrifice a STR 6 NFW and True Grit, you need to know you'll earn your points back. And in any case, you should never mix special weapons in a single squad.

Psycannons don't mix well with storm bolters, because when the unit moves, the psycannons range is less than that of the storm bolter. Keep psycannons on terminators (termies keep their NFW and don't have True Grit anyway, plus the psycannon's range is always a full 36") or on static fire support units (e.g., inquisitors and retinues, maxed out purgation squads).

You need to know you'll get good placement out of the incinerator template if you're going to give up the NFW and True Grit, and that's rare. Take 0-1 incinerators in a Fast Attack unit of GKs, or take 2 if you pack your GKs in a Land Raider Crusader. Otherwise, leave your incinerators at home.

Speaking of fast attack GKs, once you have fulfilled your minimum 2 troop choices, all further units of GKs whould become Fast Attack choices, even if you don't intend to deep strike them. You will get to place them last, which can be a tactical advantage.
    2x10 Inquisitoral Stormtroopers-200pts
    The only reason to take ISTs is to give them special weapons not available to your GKs. Footslogging ISTs like you have should take either 2x plasma guns or 2x grenade launchers. (Again, don't mix special weapons.) ISTs of all kinds benefit from having a transport, even if you run it empty, it is useful for controlling line of sight and just to cause trouble. Plasma gun ISTs should take a chimera. If you give your ISTs 2x melta guns, give them a Rhino and you've got a cheap tank- and monstrous-creature-hunting squad
    10 Battle sister squad-110
    sister Superior
    Like with ISTs, don't take SoB unless you also give them the equipment that helps differentiate them from your GKs: flamers, meltas, and Rhinos! IMHO, one of the best units of the entire game are Seraphim, and they work very will with DH armies, providing a much-needed speed and flexibility boost.
    Last edited by number6; June 19th, 2006 at 20:52.
    ninjabackhand: point and click, again, really? even after i give you an military term "shock tactic" you still call it point and click.
    RIP Warhammer 40,000: 21 Sep 1998 - 24 May 2014

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks for all the help. here is Version #2, it is now a 1500 pt list.

Ordo Malleus Inquisitor Lord with Psycannon-216Pts
    2 acolytes with bolters
    Mystic
    2 Sages
    2 Heavy Bolter Servitors
    1 Plasma Cannon Servitor

4 Grey Knight terminators-224pts
    Brother Captain
    Psycannon

8 Grey Knights-225pts
    Justicar

8 Grey Knights-225pts
    Justicar

10 Inquisitorial Stormtroopers-190pts
    2 plasma Guns
    chimera

10 Inquistorial stormtroopers-120pts
    2 Grenade Launchers

10 Battle sister squad-180pts
    Sister Superior
    2 Melta Guns
    Rhino APC

This gives me 1380 points, and was wondering how to spend the rest. So anyone who knows how to spend 120pts please post.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

786 (x8)

Looks really good!

With your spare points, I say invest in a GK dreadnought. 118 pts will get you one with an assault cannon and dread CC weapon, extra armor, smoke launchers. Trim just a couple of IST models, and you can have a long-range tank-buster (TLLC/ML) instead.
    ninjabackhand: point and click, again, really? even after i give you an military term "shock tactic" you still call it point and click.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

(HQ) Ordo Malleus Inquisitor Lord with Psycannon-241Pts
    Scourging
    Needle Pistol
    2 acolytes with bolters
    Mystic
    2 Sages
    2 Heavy Bolter Servitors
    1 Plasma Cannon Servitor

(HQ) 5 Grey Knight terminators-270pts
    Brother Captain
    Psycannon

(Fast attack) 8 Grey Knights-225pts
    Justicar

Justicar

(Troops) 10 Inquisitorial Stormtroopers-190pts
    2 plasma Guns
    chimera

(Troops) 10 Inquistorial stormtroopers-120pts
    2 Grenade Launchers

(Troops)10 Battle sister squad-130pts
    Sister Superior
    2 Melta Guns

(Heavy Support) GK Dreadnought-90pts
    Missle Launcher
    Assualt Cannon

Total 1496

note: the needle pistol and the physic power on the inquisitor lord is just to fill points, if anyone has a better way to use them it would be appreciated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    103 (x8)

(HQ) Ordo Malleus Inquisitor Lord with Psycannon-241Pts
    Scourging
    Needle Pistol
    You can only use one ranged attack per turn, including ranged psychic powers. The psycannon will always be the prefered gun out of those three, so drop Scourging and the Needle Pistol! I know you just wanted to fill out points, but they can't even be used.

(Heavy Support) GK Dreadnought-90pts
    Missle Launcher
    Assualt Cannon
    Not the most optimal configuration - one is a 24" weapon, the other is a 48" weapon. When you're up close enough to use that Assault Cannon, you're also risking melee. And a Dreadnought without a CCW arm in melee is S6, as opposed to the S10 the CCW arm provides! Easy pickings for many units in the game with S6, while with S10 its something feared and usually avoided.

Extra armor & smoke launchers on all vehicles is always a smart move, imo.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

786 (x8)

I liked your previous list MUCH better than the one you just posted. Go back to that one, spend your leftover points on a dread with AC/DCCW or TLLC/ML.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

(HQ) Ordo Malleus Inquisitor Lord with Psycannon-216Pts
    2 acolytes with bolters
    Mystic
    2 Sages
    2 Heavy Bolter Servitors
    1 Plasma Cannon Servitor

(HQ) 5 Grey Knight terminators-270pts
    Brother Captain
    Psycannon

Justicar

Justicar

(Troops) 10 Inquisitorial Stormtroopers-205pts
    2 plasma Guns
    chimera

(Troops) 10 Inquistorial stormtroopers-120pts
    2 Grenade Launchers

(Troops)10 Battle sister squad-130pts
    Sister Superior
    2 Melta Guns

(Heavy Support) GK Dreadnought-110pts
    CC weapon
    Assualt Cannon
    Total 1512

ok, my lack of experience with 40k rules caused me to make some stupid mistakes, and a problem with with armybuilder made more mistakes (it said that the assualt cannon was free), so now i need to drop some points once again, so any suggestions are apprecitated
    Last edited by SgtSnipe; June 29th, 2006 at 19:46.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

(Heavy Support) GK Dreadnought-80pts
    CC weapon
    Assualt Cannon
    ummm, sorry to tell you this, but that dreadnought is 110 points. you have to pay for the AC on him. also try to give him EA and SL since that is a very vulnerable unit without it.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

786 (x8)

ok, my lack of experience with 40k rules caused me to make some stupid mistakes, and a problem with with armybuilder made more mistakes (it said that the assualt cannon was free), so now i need to drop some points once again, so any suggestions are apprecitated
    No worries. The list looks really good.

I'd drop 2 ISTs from the plasma/chimera squad and get extra armor and smoke launchers for your dreadnought. That should take you down to 1500 exactly without hurting anything while making your dread survivable.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast