my first ever 1000 pt army (space wolves) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my first ever 1000 pt army (space wolves)

Ok, a friend of mine has started re-collecting 40k, with a pure Grey Knight army. He wanted me to take the game up aswell, which I'm fairly familiar with. The plan is for me to battle his pure Grey Knight 1000 pt army at some point (and he says he can't wait to whip me in close combat )

Rune Priest @ 135
    (Terminator Armor, 2 x Lightning Claws & Wolf Tooth Necklace)

Venerable Dreadnought @ 173
    (Extra Armor, Smoke Launchers, Heavy Flamer Upgrade & Twin-linked Heavy Bolter)

Grey Hunters x 10 @ 230
    (2 x Power Fists, 2 x Plasma Pistols, 1 x Meltagun, 5 x Bolt Pistol w ccw)

Red Claws x 10 @ 186
    (2 x Power Fists, 1 x Meltagun, 7 x Bolt Pistol w ccw)

Red Claws x 10 @ 186
    (2 x Power Fists, 1 x Meltagun, 7 x Bolt Pistol w ccw)

Total = 910 pts (90 to spare).

Obviously this is probably a standard list (tried not looking at others), so if anyone could point me in the right direction I would be very grateful.

Also I would like to get 2 Rhinos to transport the Red Claw units into close combat, but havn't got the points at the time being (if anyone can shave of needless things then please advise).

As for the Rune Priest, I want to get him in to close combat when I can, I've heard that he can be a bit mean with 2 lightning claws, terminator armor and that Stormcall spell he has.

Thanks in advance!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    176 (x6)

ok, heres my advice. drop one of the troop squads becuase you should only really have 2 troops in a 1000pt arm. also, try to cut down a bit on your character. you can get some transports if you want. i would suggest cheap rhinos. lastly, you should try to get some type of heavy support in there, however then again you do have meltaguns. maybe get some long ranged fire support if you can.
    That is not dead which may eternal lie,
    for in strange aeons even death may die.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    41 (x1)

you should only really have 2 troops in a 1000pt army--alexpape7
    WHAT?!! :wacko:

I don't think your grey hunters can have all those options at the same time, if I remember right...either way, drop the plasma pistols and you have the points for your Rhinos. You deffinitely need something to increase your army's speed/maneuverability.

Good luck. Personally, I think if the GK's get the drop on you, you're toast. Your disadvantage is that they get to teleport into battle. Hope they deviate into your charge range....
    4 bionic bitz for Og "Da Boss" Grotstompa
    40 grots stomped
    400 boyz killed in action
    4000 light years of "Ere we go, Ere we go, Ere we Go" without a break
    $40K spent on GW

I'm a SM commander with about 20 service studs in my head.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ok, I;ve redone my list because I thought the original lacked something, so I swapped a few things here and there...

HQ = Wolf Guard Battle Leader @ 105
    (Power Weapon, Bolt Pistol, Belt of Russ, Wolf Pelt, Frag nads)

HQ = Venerable Dreadnought @ 165
    (Extra Armor, Twin-Linked Autocannon)

Elite = Wolf Guard Leader @ 58
    (Power Fist, Plasma Pistol, Wolf Pelt)

Elite = Wolf Scout pack x 5 @ 116
    (Power Weapon x 2, Plasma Pistol x 2, Flamer)

Troops = Blood Claw pack x 9 + Rhino @ 213
    (Power Fist x 2, Meltagun)

Troops = Grey Hunter pack x 9 + Rhino @ 268
    (Power Fist x 2, Plasma Pistol x 2, Meltagun)

Heavy = Whirlwind @ 75

The plan is to use my WGBL with the Blood Claws in the Rhino, and the WGL with the Hunters in the other Rhino (may change, not sure at moment, I'm assuming I can u se both the WG in the Rhinos ?).

I'm not usre what I'm going to do once these 2 packs are in the Rhinos, I'll have to see where he places his units. I was maybe thinking about doubling up, ie use both my packs on 1 unit of his, then moving on if there still alive, taking it unit by unit. Ideally I think I want to get rid of his terminators first, not sure how successful my guys will be at that. Hopefully this is where the Scouts will excel.

The Wolf Scouts will hopefully come from behind the enemy, and I feel they have a nice mix of ranged and ccw. (up to 2 models may replace their ccw with a power fist, up to 2 models may replace their bolt pistol with a plama pistol. 1 model in the pack may replace both his ccw & bolt pistol with a meltagun)

I'm not sure about the Whirlwind, as I'm going up against Grey Knights (1 unit of terminators, another dread and 3 units of marines) as I know most of these guys have a save of +3. I think my plan will be to obviously sit this at the back somewhere, and just keep firing, hopefully getting good roles against my opponents bad rolls. It could go either way I guess, superb if it kills a fair few units, and if not...useless )

The Ven Dreadnought I'm going to use to just lay down fire on any units.

Obviously I've never played a proper battle before, so this is all theory. In the end it may all fall apart.
    Last edited by RoscoLabri; June 21st, 2006 at 19:14.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

HQ = Wolf Guard Battle Leader @ 105
    (Power Weapon, Bolt Pistol, Belt of Russ, Wolf Pelt, Frag nads)

HQ = Venerable Dreadnought @ 165
    (Extra Armor, Twin-Linked Autocannon)

good here

Elite = Wolf Guard Leader @ 58
    (Power Fist, Plasma Pistol, Wolf Pelt)

Elite = Wolf Scout pack x 5 @ 116
    (Power Weapon x 2, Plasma Pistol x 2, Flamer)

scouts-try to get them to be 100 even. this makes them a bit more shooty, but they still are good

Troops = Blood Claw pack x 9 + Rhino @ 213
    (Power Fist x 2, Meltagun)

Troops = Grey Hunter pack x 9 + Rhino @ 268
    (Power Fist x 2, Plasma Pistol x 2, Meltagun)

if your taking BC's, lose the melta. in fact, i really wouldnt use them in the first place, mainly because of their 3 BS and WS, but thats just me.

Heavy = Whirlwind @ 75

waste of points. i would take this out, make the BCs GHs, take out PP in the GHs and make those melta, make your Ven Dread with TL las and Missle launcher (if able to.) i only suggest this because this army will be shredded by shooty armies (IRon Warriors, IG, eldar, necrons, etc.)

if your fighting GK now, go for a shootier approach. this army will NOT be able to win against all WS 5 GKs with 6 str, plus they are nasty mid range shooters.

also, watch out for the pure CC armie, like khorne.

+ Reply to Thread