2000pt pure GK army - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2000pt pure GK army

HQ: Grandmaster:145
    retinue:4 GKT:184

Troops:
    2x 5 GK:160
    -incinerator
    2x 5 GK:175
    -Psycannon

Elites:
    2x 5 GKT:245

HS:
    Dreadnought:110
    Assault Cannon, DCCW
    Dreadnought:150
    TL Lascannon, missle launcher, blessed (in case of CSM)
    Land Raider:251
    seachlight

TOTAL: 2000

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

786 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Ardvark
    HQ: Grandmaster:145
    retinue:4 GKT:184
    Nice and simple. If you manage to trim points out of this list, consider getting psycannons for (a) the GM and (b) the retinue.
    Troops:
    2x 5 GK:160
    -incinerator
    2x 5 GK:175
    -Psycannon
    Neither squad is large enough to survive. GKs attract a lot of firepower, and in numbers this small, they are easily cleansed off the board. If you can't get them to at least 8 strong, don't take them. Your first order of business is to get each of these squads 8-10 models. (At 2000 pts, there's no reason you can't, and shouldn't, field more than 20 PAGKs!)

Also, you shouldn't give either squad special weapons. You're spending points to decrease the combat effectiveness of the GKs! Almost never a good idea to pay extra to drop a STR 6 NFW and True Grit.

Psycannons don't match well with the rest of the squads storm bolters. When the squad moves, the psycannon's range is less than that of the storm bolters. And then, of course, the GK is just an uber-expensive vanilla marine once he gets into CC. Reserve psycannons for terminators (they don't lose the NFW nor do they have True Grit, AND they can always fire the psycannon at max range) or dedicated, static fire support units. That is, for inquisitors and shooty retinues, GK purgation squads, or a minimal, 5-model PAGK squad with 2x psycannons that you stick into cover and leave there. (Personally, I think this last option is only just barely viable. It's a significant investment of points for two heavy weapons that can only barely bust the weakest armour, and those GKs with their normal gear are just twiddling their expensive thumbs.)

Incinerators on walking GKs are particularly useless, as you are not likely to get a good placement of the template. Take 0-1 on a Fast Attack unit, or 0-2 on a unit you pack into a land raider crusader. Only then do you stand a chance of getting your points worth out of the weapon.
    Elites:
    2x 5 GKT:245
    No no no no no. No! GKTs are cool and all, but reserve the nearly 100% terminator army for the Deathwing. (They do it FAR better than we ever could.) No DH army ever needs more than 5-6 GKTs, and that's all you should take, too. After one middling squad of termies, the point of diminishing returns is crossed, and you won't get the performance you'd expect. PAGKs can handle almost everything. Having one squad of terminators is all you need for those few foes that GKs have some trouble with it. After that, stick to GKs. You'll have far more bodies, far more shots, and far more high-STR attacks. That is, you'll have far better survivability and inflict far more kills. So convert these point sinks into vanilla PAGKs right away! If you drop these guys and your PAGK special weapons, you can field 3 full 10-man GK squads. Slot one of them for Fast Attack -- deep strike 'em or walk 'em as the foe/terrain determines -- and you're golden.
    HS:
    Dreadnought:110
    Assault Cannon, DCCW
    Dreadnought:150
    TL Lascannon, missle launcher, blessed (in case of CSM)
    Extra armor and smoke launchers are more important than any other upgrades. Especially true for your AC/DCCW dread, as he will be engaging the enemy directly.
    Land Raider:251
    seachlight
    IMHO, the LR and LRC are nice tanks ... for other armies where their basic troops don't soak up so many points. I'd get rid of this tank in favor of a 2nd TLLC/ML dread. Leaves you points for, you guessed it, more GKs! Also, when the dread moves, both of its armor-popping shots are at BS 4. Compare that to the LR which, when it moves, can only fire a single TLLC at BS 4, the other one is at BS 2 thanks to the Machine Spirit. So your armour-busting odds are often better with a dreadnought. There are several who praise their LRs to the heavens, though, and if nothing else it will attract a lot of fire (keeping it away from your other units), so keeping it is something of a matter of taste. But if you keep it, put at least extra armour on it (if not smoke launchers, too), and DO NOT put your HQ terminators in there! A hideous chunk of your army could be destroyed by a single lucky shot. And, like I said, this thing will attract a lot of shots, even when empty. You're already going to be vastly outnumbered, so I wouldn't want to chance it, no matter how kewl the idea sounds.

And to be completely honest, the land raider crusader is a better tank anyway. Better for armour busting (it can always fire both armour-busting weapons at maximum BS after a move), and far better as an assaulting transport tank, too. Still too expensive for the DH, I think, but at least it's a better buy for the points, and more versatile. Frankly, if you're hellbent on having a land raider in your army, I'd take the crusader variant and two TLLC/ML dreads for your long-range tank-busting/fire support. By and large, the LRC can take the role of a close-combat support AC/DCCW dread. The wicked amount of firepower that it can direct at squads more than makes up for the lack of assault capabilitiy.
    Last edited by number6; June 21st, 2006 at 23:50.
    ninjabackhand: point and click, again, really? even after i give you an military term "shock tactic" you still call it point and click.
    RIP Warhammer 40,000: 21 Sep 1998 - 24 May 2014

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hey thanks for the help! i just configured my list to this here. i would like to her what you think of it too if that isn't to much to ask.

Grandmaster=170
    PC,
    4 GKT retinue=209
    PC

5 GKT=270
    PC

(4 squads all same) 8 GKs=940 total
    Meltabombs (All) Teleport Homer, frag/krak nads (2 Justicars)

2 GKD=115
    AC/DCCW, E.A.

GKD=145
    TLLC/ML, E.A.

i have got enough points for 1 DP, but i can't get rid of the frag/krak nads on my 2 justs cuz they even points out. where can i put in DP for my 2 AC/DCCW Dreads???

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Er, I'm really new to the DH codex, but I think you have some equipment errors in there.

I don't see an option for meltabombs on regular Grey Knights.

And there is no point to krak grenades. You're already str6, a str6 krak grenade is useless.

And what's a DP? Given the letters and that you have 36pts left, do you mean drop pod? Cause GK can't drop pod.

You'll have to ask someone else what to use your spare points on

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can't bring melta's on GK's, and you need a justicar in every squad. Don't bring grenade's on justicars, the frag's only effect justicar and the krak's are pretty useless. Drop the teleport homers too, it'll take like 4 turns to get close enough to make it worthwhile, I'd take a squad of IST and put 'em in a rhino, and get a homer on them.
    Though unnumbered lurking perils await us, our blades will ever be ready.
    FOR WE ARE THE EMPEROR'S VENGEANCE!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ok here is a little from me again:

justicars have access to wargear right? so aren't they allowed to have meltas??? oh, and jusicar is paid for in all 4 squads.
    i will drop the frag/krak nades.
    i am embarassed about the DPs. my bad
    2 squads of the GK are Tele, sorry for confusion. i tele the 2 squads of GK and the 2 GKT tele in too. but i could drop 1 tele homer though couldnt I...
    or i could just tele in blindly and hope for the best. lol!
    i made it to be a pure GK army so i really dont want ISTs in it.
    thanks for the help straightening some things out guys.

im still totally embarrassed about the DP comment:blush: lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Justicars can take meltabombs, NOT the whole squad. The homers are stupid then, you deepstrike in then, even if that spot sucks, you deep strike in the rest. Puritan armies can take ISTs. You have A lot of models on the board for a daemonhunter army, this is good. Imo you need more long range stuff though.

The daemon comes in many forms. You must know them all.

EDIT: Ok, let me make myself more clear: IST's are part of the GK army. They are classified as puritan. You won't lose puritan status, lol.
    Last edited by Forgotten Flashlight; June 25th, 2006 at 06:09.
    Though unnumbered lurking perils await us, our blades will ever be ready.
    FOR WE ARE THE EMPEROR'S VENGEANCE!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Forgotten Flashlight
    Justicars can take meltabombs, NOT the whole squad. The homers are stupid then, you deepstrike in then, even if that spot sucks, you deep strike in the rest. Puritan armies can take ISTs. You have A lot of models on the board for a daemonhunter army, this is good. Imo you need more long range stuff though.

The daemon comes in many forms. You must know them all.
    thanks for the compliments, but like i said earlier:
    i want to make a PURE GK ARMY. thats why i didnt put uber Inqs and any IST in there.
    ill take the TELE out since i see you point bout them. alot of DH with WS5 STR6 CC attacks ftw!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You are basically relying on two squads of GKs to footslog to the enemy lines with TPHomers, under the close cover of one CC dread and one anti-armour dread. Now if I saw that comming at me , I would realise there were roughly 1200pts of hurt waiting to teleport right in front of me. I know I would be gunning for the two 8 man squads over the dreadnoughts. I think that you should:

a) get rid of the elite GKTs in favour of a second DCCW/AC dread or a Plasma/ML dread
    or
    b) reconsider ISTs in rhinos with your TPHomers

changing a single GKTs to a TH/SS could be useful too against the higher toughness MCs and such

EDIT:

i want to make a PURE GK ARMY. thats why i didnt put uber Inqs and any IST in there.
    ill take the TELE out since i see you point bout them
    sorry, you wrote this while I was writing, forget I said anythin about ISTs
    Last edited by Stormie; June 25th, 2006 at 05:52.
    We rode on the winds of the rising storm,
    We ran to the sound of the thunder.
    We danced among the lightning bolts
    And tore the world asunder.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i will change the extra GKTs into TH/SS because its just a good idea. also, i will be changing my list to update it so please save most comments til i update, P&TY.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast