[2050] Anti-Ork List - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    64 (x2)

[2050] Anti-Ork List

I just finished painting a crapload of terrain, and my ork buddy has agreed to a 2050 point battle (I know, it's a wierd number) on a 6x10 foot battlefield with lots of the new terrain. He plays a speed freek army so I'm glad he has agreed to such a long board. However he beats me 75% of all battles we play so I'm still not sure that I'll win.
    Here's the list I'm thinking of using:

Doctrines: Rough Riders, COD, sharpshooters, cameoline, ogryn

HQ: [681]
    Junior Officer w/ honorificus, standard bearer - 70
    6 Guardsmen w/ 3 Lascannons, sharpshooters, cameoline - 130
    6 Guardsmen w/ 3 Autocannons, sharpshooters, cameoline - 115
    6 Guardsmen w/ 3 mortars - 80
    Commissar Yarrick - 146
    Sentinel w/ closed top and multi-laser - 60

T1: [235]
    JO w/ heavy bolter
    10 Guardsmen w/ heavy bolter
    10 Guardsmen w/autocannon
    5 Guardsmen w/ heavy bolter

T2: [235]
    JO w/ heavy bolter
    10 Guardsmen w/ autocannon
    5 Guardsmen w/ heavy bolter

Elite: [215]
    3 Ogryn. 1 Ogryn Bonehead, in a chimera w/ multi-laser, heavy bolter, heavy stubber, extra armor, smoke launchers (Yarrick will be with them)

FA: [255]
    Hellhound - 115
    6 Rough Riders w/ lances - 66
    5 Rough Riders w/ lances, 1 Sarge w/ power weapon - 74

HS: [429]
    Battle Tank w/ 3 heavy bolters, heavy stubber - 167
    2 Basalisks w/ indirect fire, one has a heavy stuber - 262

Hopefully I will decimate him before he makes it across the field, but just in case I thought I would bring along Yarrick and some ogryn. Please tell me what you think, I only have a day or two before the battle so let me know if I should change anything.

- Abe

Armies:
    Tyranids: 2500 pts
    Imperial Guard: 1000 pts
    Witch Hunters: 1000 pts

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    32 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Abraham Lincoln

Hopefully I will decimate him before he makes it across the field, but just in case I thought I would bring along Yarrick and some ogryn. Please tell me what you think, I only have a day or two before the battle so let me know if I should change anything.

- Abe
    Well:

First off I think the list isn't rules legal.

Guard remnant squads can't take a heavy weapon so the 5-man H/B units are out.

I don't think you're HQ is costed correctly either: JO + HI + Std = 76pts?

Haven't checked the rest

Mortars - forget them - especially here, 2 Fire suppport squads of H/B with sharpshooters would be far better - maybe swap the A/C squad for M/L as a 2nd AT multi-role unit.

1 sentinel is just a target, and so is 1 Russ - I'd suggest ditching 1 Bassie and the Sentinel for a 2nd Russ.

Special weapons - no one appears to have 'em? - Plasma or G/L for range.

If you want to shoot him down you need much more shooting stuff, with Yarrick, Ogryns, Rough Riders you have a shed load of points in stuff that can't engage at range and I'm not sure going into CC with Orks is ever a good idea if it can be avoided, but that's all these units can do.

To be honest it depends on how many models you have spare or can borrow/buy within 2 days but I think the list needs a serious bit of re-working to change your 1 in 4 win rate against Speed Freaks.

See what the others say tho' I may have mised some opportunities.
    Only an idiot fights a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the kingdom of idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts.

Mr Commisar to you Commisarlestat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    332 (x8)

Vorlon is right this list is illegal for the following reasons:

1) remnants squads cant have heavy weapons
    2) you have two units with camo its no-one or everyone im afraid

As far as mortars go they can really pay back their points they always do with me esp against hordes (took out a chimera with one today and loads of other stuff.
    You are trying to do two things with this list sit and shoot and counterattack. I used to think this was good but it doesnt work in game though. they will kill you in close whatever so just go all ranged and sacrafice units where needed.
    right from the top down in your list
    the HQ
    good but wrong points its 76 points
    the camo is illegal unless taken for your whole army, id suggest drop it with this list and give them sharpshooters instead.
    Id say keep Yarrick il explain why later.
    drop the sentinel
    Troops 1 + 2
    drop the remnants as they are illegal
    Elites.
    Ogryns fine but you dont have enough of them 4 wont do much even with yarrick if youve got the models go for more il give you a total of point you need to respend at the bottom.
    extra armour is a no no on a unit you want to keep moving give it track guards.
    FA
    good these are for taking out armoured nobs etc i assume so only take one for his main command and give it the full ten two units wont do that much and they need to be more focused.
    Heavy support
    get rid of the stubber on the bassie its rather pointless with indirect fire. you might want to change the leman russ to an exterminator the shoots it can puy out on the move are amazing. itll add to your firepower and with two bassies you needent worry bout losing the pieplate.

if you do all of the changes (inc changing the russ to an exterminator) thatll give you 200 points spare to kick around with this you can get some more ogryns or perhaps a heavy bolter fire support squad. some grenade launchers for your squads would be a good idea and perhaps another heavy bolter equipped squad. other than that youve got quite a potent counterattack if used right add that little bit extra firepower and youre away!!

hope this helps

A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually the fast attack units are good to use as speedbumbs when slowing down the advance of a horde army. If you stop them just in front of a mob, they can only advance that far. This will let your ranged focus on the other units that get to advance on their turn. Speed bumb units are a thing I've used alot, altho mine are usually space marines and those tend to last at least one to 2 turns. Not sure how that will work with IG vs. an angry orc mob. But if you can break his line up somewhat I find its easier to pick apart the advanced units.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    64 (x2)

Wow, I never even noticed that camo has to be given to everybody... or that remnants can't get heavies, either. Thanks.
    I guess losing the remnants squads aren';t that bad. To be honst I don't even have the models to field them but I thought that they looked good on paper, I don't know what I was planning on doing when the battle came. :wacko:
    As for the ogryn, I have ten ogryn models but I wanted to fit them in the chimera. They get shot so easily... then again, if I kept them in the open maybe my guardsmen would get to shoot a little longer.
    Here's the revised list. I lost the remnants squads, camo, and the sentinel, and changed the bassie's, command squad, and ogryn.
    Thanks so far for all of the advice, and the quick responses. Keep it coming!

Doctrines: Rough Riders, COD, sharpshooters, ogryn

HQ: [627]
    HSO, standard bearer, mortar - 86
    6 Guardsmen w/ 3 Lascannons, sharpshooters - 120
    6 Guardsmen w/ 3 Autocannons, sharpshooters - 105
    Commissar Yarrick - 146

T1: [260]
    JO w/ heavy bolter

T2: [295]
    JO in a chimera w/ multi-laser, heavy bolter, heavy stubber, extra armor, smoke launchers

Elite: [185]
    6 Ogryn and 1 Ogryn Bonehead (Yarrick will be with them)

FA: [259]
    Hellhound - 115
    5 Rough Riders w/ lances and 1 Sarge w/ power weapon and melta bombs - 78

HS: [424]
    1 Bassie w/ indirect fire - 125
    1 Bassie w/ closed top and a heavy stubber - 132
    Armies:
    Tyranids: 2500 pts
    Imperial Guard: 1000 pts
    Witch Hunters: 1000 pts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abraham Lincoln
    Wow, I never even noticed that camo has to be given to everybody... or that remnants can't get heavies, either. Thanks.
    I guess losing the remnants squads aren';t that bad. To be honst I don't even have the models to field them but I thought that they looked good on paper, I don't know what I was planning on doing when the battle came. :wacko:
    As for the ogryn, I have ten ogryn models but I wanted to fit them in the chimera. They get shot so easily... then again, if I kept them in the open maybe my guardsmen would get to shoot a little longer.
    Here's the revised list. I lost the remnants squads, camo, and the sentinel, and changed the bassie's, command squad, and ogryn.
    Thanks so far for all of the advice, and the quick responses. Keep it coming!

Doctrines: Rough Riders, COD, sharpshooters, ogryn

HQ: [627]
    HSO, standard bearer, mortar - 86
    Commissar Yarrick - 146

JO w/ heavy bolter

JO in a chimera w/ multi-laser, heavy bolter, heavy stubber, extra armor, smoke launchers

Hellhound - 115

Both bassies should be indirect fire. The Closed top just isn't worth it.

Mortars are horrible. I realize this is a lets throw everything I have together list but still mortars are horrible.

Maybe you already use this particular tactic but I would recommend not actually mounting your JO in the Chimera but just letting the chimera kinda run free.

Other than that, this list isn't horrible but I don't think it stands a snowball's chance at defeating a well thought out Speed Freaks list.
    Fifth Edition Saved 40k for Me. I love my ratlings and my cover saves!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    144 (x3)

Yeesh, this is a mess. Other people have posted lists about fighting Nids or Orks, I'd highly recommend you consult them.

Commissar Yarrick - 146
    Lose the mortars, they're not effective. What you need are Fire Support Squads of heavy bolters and/or autocannons (though only one type of gun per squad). Ditch Sharp Shooters, those points are wasted most especially on lascannons. Don't take Anti-Tank Squads they're too easily eliminated and they waste shots. Embed your important big guns (like lascannons) in your Infantry Squads and move the heavy bolters currently in them to Fire Support Squads. They're a lesser priority and you benefit from massing all those shots together. As for Yarrick, I wouldn't even bother. You're paying the equivalent of a tank to get one human who's decent in close combat but contributes virtually nothing else to the list. Don't bother. You could probably double your total number of Rough Riders just with the points invested in "the old man."

JO w/ heavy bolter
    Embed any lascannons you want in your list here and switch out the heavy bolters as already discussed. Iron Discipline for the officer and special weapons for the squad and then you're set.

Same as the other Troop unit. And why bother giving the Command Squad a Chimera? You don't want them moving around, they're not good firepower on the move and they'll be ineffective in an assault. Keep these guys as footsloggers. Extra infantry and guns help. If you want a mobile response unit, go with a squad of Grenadiers mounted in the Chimera, with plasma guns. They can roll up and inflict some hurt with their hellguns and special weapons, and they're more likely to survive the enemy response with their 4+ save.

These guys would be more effective in a Chimera than the Command Squad. Just keep in mind that you're investing a lot of points into guys that can die quite easily.

Hellhound - 115
    Hellhounds are great, if you can manage it then get two. They work great against Orks. Right now your Rough Riders are a bigger liability than they are a threat, due to their small squad size. A couple of shooting casualties or losses in close combat and they're likely to run away. Not to mention that they'll do less damage than you'd like. Ditch the melta bombs and consolidate them into one squad of ten riders. If you free up points elsewhere you can consider making two large squads, but those little five to six man units won't cut it. For extra "oomph" consider giving the Veteran Sergeant of the squad the Honorifica Imperialis. Improves his stats and attacks so he'll continue to chew guys up if you get bogged down past the first round (when the lances are gone).

C'mon son, think about how you're actually going to use your units before you slap cool accessories on them. You're being wasteful. Heavy stubbers should go on Chimeras or Hellhounds, because they always have the opportunity to use them. If you fire the Russ' battle cannon then you can't use the stubber. Same with the bassie. The only way you'd ever get to fire the stubber is if you elect not to use the Earthshaker cannon and instead fire with only the hull heavy bolter and stubber. That's silly. As is enclosing the Basilisk as it should preferably be out of line of sight for the enemy. Keep them cheap, the only upgrade worth adding to a Basilisk is indirect fire. And in all likelihood the Orks will be under that 36" range fairly quickly. You'd be better off with more Leman tanks (Orks have trouble with armor 14 outside of close combat), Exterminators if you can manage it.

Seriously though, both for revising this list and for future ones, look around at other Guard lists first, especially ones that have already been critiqued. There are an awful lot of newbie mistakes in this one that could be fixed just by reading what other people have written around here repeatedly. If nothing else, then just careful consideration of your units rather than just slapping what looks fun together, and game experience should show you how to better use your army.
    "I would listen to Sokhar. The man's a genius. Listen."
    ~Lord Yossanrion
    "Thanks, Sokhar. There was some legitimately good advice in between the low-grade profanity, blaspheming and veiled insults."
    ~Quick
    "Well thought, intelligently put, with a hint of sarcastic bastard!"
    ~Diggum's Hammer

+ Reply to Thread