Librarium Online Forums banner

1000pts army, Urban, Bugbuster.

710 views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  slamfu 
#1 ·
A long time since my last... I need good anti-nid tactics and soon. I'd really appeciate help on this. I think it's just normal urban combat, maybe Cities of Death (which I'm completely unfamiliar with).

Anyway, here goes...
HQ
Magus Librarian Joshuah
Fear of the Darkness. Master-crafted Force Sword, Bolter.
Bike, Familiar, Psychic Hood, Iron Halo, T Hon, Artificer armour.
221pts.

Elites
Brother Kentares
Venerable Dreadnaught with Lascannon (not TL), Meltagun & Powerfist. Extra Armour.
Frags, Furious charge. 220pts

Troops
Tactical Squad Kultules
Sergeant - Bolter, Power sword, T Hon.
9 Marines - Bolter & Chainsword.
Frags, Counter-attack, True Grit. 215pts.

Tactical Squad Mlorta
Frags, Counter-attack, True Grit. 215pts.

Fast attack
Bike Squad Lethe
Sergeant with Power sword & T Hon.
2 Bikers
Frags. 124pts

Total = 995pts.

I know for a fact that he likes melee, but that's all.

See less See more
#2 ·
1000pts arnym Urban, Bugbuster

Hey man, I am in no way an expert, but a good 1/3 of my games are against 'nids, and I have a small army I play around with, so I hope my 2 cents help.

HQ
The libby looks like a hauss, but he seems to almost be a point sink. You've got a lot of gear on him that helps him survive, but whenever I play, when I see a character model that has points sunk into him so deep that he alone costs more than the rest of the squads, I concentrate on him. It's fun to have a guy like that, so if it's what you want then absolutely keep him. It just makes me sad when I do it, rip through part of the board, then he gets killed and I realize I was having playing and worrying about him more than the rest of my troops. Maybe tone him down a bit to bolster your army some more.

The only other things I'd say about him is that alot of 'nids are synapse or under it's control, and the ones that aren't can probably get in CC before they have to stop within 12" (so fear is wasted points, imho), and I don't think you'll need the bolter if he's on the bike.

Elite
The dread is good, but I don't see much use for the meltagun on him. If he's close enough to use it (which I find hard in footslogging dreads), he can probably get close enough to charge with his fist too. Not that there are a large myriad of choices, but the regular SB shots can equal 1 more kill. Just a preference thing for some small points.

Troops
Your troops look good, but again, imho, counter attack and true grit aren't the way to go for 'nids (CC kings). They're cool and fun skills, but you're spending 60 points for them for your two squads. If you trimmed up your HQ, and tinkered around a bit, you could have another 8 man or so tac squad instead of some fancy upgrades. 8 more bolter shots are usually more useful to me than the former, but it's still a cool skill to have and model, and play with.

I'd also try to find the points for a hidden fist over a sword, just for the better chance of hurting bigger targets, and you've got a meat shield. Even just one fist won't hurt if you're worried about loosing to many troops before he can strike with it. The last thing isn't a big deal either, but generally, with regular marines, I'm outmanuevered when it comes to assaulting, so I rarely get to, so frags are only something I put on dedicated assault units, as if given the chance, I'd rather rapid fire my enemy than charge them.

Fast Attack
This looks good to me, I like using bikes, depending on their role you might want to give one a melta, just for a tank run if you need it.

Well, I hope that helped a little. It sounds like a fun list to play, just not as hard hitting as it could be, so take my advice with a grain of salt. I also don't have my codex right now so I tried not to quote points, and otherwise, sorry for sounding like a dolt if I did. :wacko: . I think you need more AT, or at least ways to deal with higher end threats. But good luck with the list.

#3 ·
Bugs?!? In cityfight??!?!?!?!? Not to bash you or anything but you're playing right into his hands, dude. The best way to kill bugs is to shoot them, and it is hard to shoot in a city. Okay on to the list.

Libby

If you're not against it, take a thunder hammer. This way, you can force his MC's to strike after you, thus giving you a major advantage in CC. Example, I easily killed a Khorne Daemon Prince with this tactic. Might of Heroes helps too.

Dready

Again, shooty is rather neutered in city fight. This one will have a time of this battle.

Tacs

These should do okay, let the bugs come to you.

Bikes

They are going to have a tough time. With all the terrain they are going to be taking ALOT of Dangerous tests. I suspect that you will lose a bike, on average at least once or twice, not cool. Plus, you aren't allowed to turbo-boost through terrain. More neutering.

This list is going to need a skilled hand to perform well. It's not impossible, just very challenging.

#4 · (Edited)
Okay then, will rebuild.

Did I mention that Kentares is a glorified Furioso?

Joshuah will lead some sort of squad.

No bikes (hate the things now).

WILL have:
*Dreadnaught
*Librarian
*True Grit

WON'T have:
*Land Speeders
*Tanks
*hell, any vehicle apart from Kentares.

I might just have to revert to my basic standard strategy.
2x
Sergeant with Powerfist, T Hon, & Bolter.
8 Marines with Bolter.
Marine with Meltagun.
True Grit & Counter-attack. 220pts.

Joshuah with his usual (Familiar, Halo, T Hon, sword, Bolter, Ficer Armour)
151pts.

591pts.

I have 319pts to play with. Help me?

#6 ·
I'll be adding my fave Vets in now.
Sergeant - T Hon, Power sword, Bolter, Meltabombs.
Marine - Lightning Claws
Marine - Meltagun & T Hon.
6 Marines - Bolter & Chainsword
Furious Charge, True Grit, & Counter attack.
227pts.
Attach the Joshuah, watch things go pop.
151pts.
Put in the 2 Tacs for good measure
440pts.

Total = 818pts
Still have 182pts left.

#8 ·
What about a storm bolter on the Libby? :)

Well if all your guys have TYBB traits, they seem kind of defensive. Why put furious charge on them as well? It seems you'd be better choosing one or the other.

Don't sacrifice all your speed and maneuverability. If you don't want any landspeeders, then take an assault squad. I agree that bikes don't really work in a cityfight where there is lots of terrain. An assault squad in place of the vets would probably work better, unless you give the vets infiltration.

You may want some flamers to thin-out those bug hordes.

Take a Dread with assault cannon and heavy flamer to fill out the points.

#9 ·
You're right. A Dread.
And Furious Charge with Trust Your Battle Brothers work together. You count as charging, so you gain the +1 S&I when they charge you. Expensive though.

#10 · (Edited)
Really? I didn't know you count as charging, I thought it just allowed you to get more folks in base-to-base so you could use all those extra attacks and special weapons. It was really a 3rd ed thing. Haven't really seen it in 4th ed yet...gotta go back to the rulebook (again!). :(

I still think you need some mobility. Infiltration on the vets may be better than Furious Charge.

#11 ·
Then that's what they'll do.
New list.

HQ
Magus Librarian Joshuah
Fear of the Darkness. Master-crafted Force Sword, Bolter.
Familiar, Psychic Hood, Iron Halo, T Hon, Artificer armour.
191pts.

Elites
Revered Brother Seth III
Venerable Dreadnaught with Furious Charge & Extra Armour.
140pts.

Veteran Squad Azure
Sergeant - T Hon, Power sword, Bolter, Meltabombs.
Marine - Lightning Claws & T Hon
Marine - Meltagun & T Hon.
7 Marines - Bolter & Chainsword
Infiltrate, True Grit, & Counter attack.
227pts.

Troops
Tactical Squad Kultules
Counter-attack, True Grit. 205pts.

Tactical Squad Mlorta
Counter-attack, True Grit. 205pts.

Total = 999pts

#12 ·
Looks okay, I'd give the Librarian a bolt pistol instead of bolter but whatever. In your normal squads I'd take power fists over the sword but again preferance. Also just noticed you didn't really have the points for it either.

#13 ·
i still think your paying to much for your HQ. dose he relly need articficer armour? i mean if he has an iron halo i dont think he need artificer. just give him 1.
if it were me i wouldent give him any armour or invul saves. just give him power armour.

i would prob try and make room for a land speeder tornado to just fly around and attack non shooty nid units so it can kill a few before they get into combat. skimmers are exellent against nids because most of the time they dont have enough range on there shooty units to reach them or they have no strong shooty units. so even if you have 1 land speeder it can still do damage, espectially aginst things like geensteelers, they are NOT cool in assault!.

#16 · (Edited)
Ok, against bugs I've found the following get the most bang for the buck as far as non troop units go. LST(AC/HB), standard dreadnoughts, and Pred Annihilator with HB sponsons. Can all move and shoot, hurt both MC's and swarm troops. I'm sure thats been covered by now, but I haven't read all the posts. Get really used to knowing what 24" looks like, get into position and retreat and shoot for as long as you can.

As far as troops go I use 8-10 man Tac Squads with either Las/Hvy Bolter and Plasmagun, plus a powerfisted Sgt. I know this goes against standard doctrine about combining shooty and CC in the same squad, but trust me, its gold vs. Nids. You can always count on them coming to you since they really really suck at range. If they don't get to you, that means you shot them to hell and the game is yours. But if they do get you in CC, and trust me they will, that Sgt. will make his points back in spades if he has enough buffer troops to keep the squad around for 2 or more rounds. They also work really well vs Raveners and Lictors that can force you to CC well before you would like to be in it.

I've kept a Broodlord led Genestealer squad busy for that and as long as the Fist is well hidden you wont regret the points spent. Also, position your Tac Squads close enough to charge eachother to assist, another perk of knowing they will come to you. Cover is largely irrelevant to flesh hooked guys that move well thru rough terrain and they have nothing ranged that gets thru Power Armor, so your initial setup is unlikely to hinge around using defensive cover.

Stay away from missle launchers when fighting Nids. Most players will put enhanced carapace on their MC and Tyrants making the ML not much better than a bolter, and worse than one in rapid fire range. Very few Nid units will have a 3+ save. Lascannons or Hvy Bolters in those tac squads. Good luck.

P.S. - 1000pt army, I'd use the HB in the Tac Squads. He likely wont have that many MC in there. And I'd go pretty cheap on the HQ too. Base Chappy with a boltpistol gets the job done. Something like

1 x 9 Tac Squad: HB + Plasma Gun, Sgt w/Fist - 180pts

2 x 10 Tac Squad: HB + Plasma Gun, Sgt w/Fist - 390pts

3 x LST: AC/HB - 240pts

Dreadnought - 105pts

Chappy with Pistol - 86pts

1001pts

P.P.S. - Ok I guess I really didnt comment on your current setup. I agree with above, you have sunk quite a few more points into your HQ than you probably should. If a Fex gets a hit, he squished. Any unit that you think of getting an Iron Halo for, you should really look into a Chaplain instead since they get one included in the sticker price. Fear of the darkness doesn't do you much good against Tyranids so you should swap that out with something else or ditch it entirely.

Second, a straight up CC list is going to get shredded badly by Tyranids. Not that marines are useless in CC, but a point for point matchup is not going to go your way. Your going to have to whittle them down alot before they get to you, and normal Tac units are very good at doing that. This is a 1000pt game, so things like Venerable on Dreads are a bit of a luxury that can disappear fast. I think you get alot more out of the base pts than the extra. These are nids, and you only have one dread, so when it gets hit its going to get hit like 5 times so that reroll isn't doing as much as you might think.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.