1200 points vs. Tau - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1200 points vs. Tau

Ok, in my other post in the main space marines section titled 'to prevent the expansion' I've been throwing some ideas around of how to play against the Tau and I've come up with this list.
    Feel free to state what you think could be an improvement.

(By the way, I know my elite choices aren't the greatest against tau, but they can be fun to use and otherwise I won't meet the points requirement)

HQ
    Captain Delenius w' bolt pistol/power weapon
    (used for the ld. boost alone, and possibly counter charging against deep striking suits etc.)

ELITES
    Dreadnought Melceus
    Drop pod assault/venerable
    Assault cannon/ D.C.C. wpn. and hv. flamer

Terminator squad Divine guidance
    3 w' storm bolters/power fists
    1 w' assault cannon
    1 sergeant w' power weapon/storm bolter
    Drop pod assault

TROOPS
    Tactical squad Dire Straits
    Veteran sergeant Elias w' power fist/bolt pistol
    marine w' plasma gun
    8 marines w' boltguns

Tactcical squad emperor's wrath
    4 marines w' boltguns
    1 sergeant w' chainsaw/bolt pistol
    1 marine w' meltagun
    Drop pod assault
    (This squad is designed to take out any hammerheads/battlesuits etc., otherwise they will go HtH w' firewarriors)

Tactical squad Fatal Charge
    1 sergeant w' chainsaw/bolt pistol
    1 marine w' meltagun
    4 marines w' boltguns

HEAVY SUPPORT
    Whirlwind Zestan w' smoke launchers/vengeance missiles

Devestator squad Windswept fury
    2 marines w' missile launchers
    1 marine w' lascannon
    6 marines w' boltguns

TOTAL- 1200 points (correct me if I'm wrong since I don't have my codex with me right now)

thanks to all who read this,"may the emperor's light guide you"

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    479 (x8)

Use a librarian instead of the captain and go for the leadership based powers. Tau rarely exceed ld 8. Throw your power fist sergeant in the drop pod, that squad has the best odds of charging something. When using the termie drop pod, try to avoid crisis suits. If you go for the crisis suits its a tough, but potentially rewarding fight, if you don't it's easy points. Go for the bird in the hand and leave those others in the bush. I like the dread, he can double as an emergency railhead killer with his assault cannon, but the same advice for the termies goes for him, if you focus on the weaker firewarriors, vespid, and kroot, the army falls apart faster. If you can scrape up any more marines that would really help, but what you have doesn't look terrible.

EDIT:
    Fury of the Ancients and Fear of the darkness (sry, I'm senile), but anyways, when used in conjuction these preform pretty well. When at a distance you use FoA and go through as many squads as possible and try to pin them. Up close, use FotD to make them run off the board. If he has an ethereal this could be problematic, but if your list of what he has is accurate, the only one he's got is Aun'Va who can't be used unless the game is at least 1500 pts.
    Last edited by Mastershake; June 29th, 2006 at 18:10.
    Blais's Paint Studio-Getting broken armies good soft scores since 2009

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    55 (x2)

Ok,

Your tac squads each have a str8 weapon, good against suits, my concern would be their small size.

The devestator squad I like. You dont have to down a hammerhead in one go just stun/shake it and finish it the next turn.

The dreadnaught worries me. Thats a lot of points to send against guys with str10 weapons. But it could also win the game, what the hell go for it.

I think you have 3 more marines with boltguns right? And one with a hvy bolter?
    I'd drop the pod from the second tactical squad and buy 3 more marines, giving one a hvy bolter. Re-arrange and put the hvy bolter and plasma gun together(will outshoot firewarriors) as fire support and 2 squads with melta-guns and powerweapons(vet sarg and commander) to take suits. Deep striking Termies and Dread should be enough at 1200 pts.

So re-cap, Devs pin/destroy hammerhead, whirlwind kills his troops, 2 tact squads are equiped to take out suits and 1 tact squad to outshoot his firewarriors.

I think you have done well with the figures you have, i think he has more to worry about than you. 2 weeks ago I won a 1200pt and 1500pt battle against different Tau players and won both using similar forces. Good luck I think you'll do well...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The list will stay the same and I'll be posting a battle report on how I go in the main space marine forum tomorrow or if I'm brave enough the battle report section.

Thanks for the advice, we'll soon see whether the dreadnought is the game-winner I perceive him to be shortly.

+ Reply to Thread