All-Infantry Guard [500] - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All-Infantry Guard [500]

Urrah for lots and lots of cannon fodder! In my opinion, all-infantry guard armies are really cool. You have that psychological factor (your 500-point army has 60 models?!), the awesome amount of firepower (hmm... let's see... you are within rapid-fire range so... 200 lasgun shots this turn), and the look on your opponent's face when his 200+ point dev squad takes the whole game picking off guardsmen with their lascannons (yay, me devs earned back 1/3 of their points value this turn! :w00t: ). Anyways, enough chatter, here's the list:

HQ=113pts
    +HQ Platoon=113pts
    ++HQ Squad=113pts (all guardsmen with LP/CCW unless otherwise noted)
    +++SO w/BP, PW, bionics=66pts
    +++Mortar=**pts
    +++Master-vox=**pts
    +++Medic w/BP, CCW=12pts
    Troops
    +Platoon 1=256pts
    ++Platoon 1 Command=70pts (all guardsmen have lasguns unless otherwise noted)
    +++JO w/SB, CCW=45pts
    +++Heavy Bolter=**pts
    +++Vox-caster=**pts
    +++Plasma Gun=**pts
    ++Platoon 1 A Squad=98pts (all guardsmen have lasguns unless otherwise noted)
    +++Sgt. w/lasgun
    +++Lascannon=**pts
    +++Grenade Launcher=**pts
    +++Vox-caster=**pts
    +++5 guardsmen
    ++Platoon 1 B Squad=99pts (all guardsmen have lasguns unless otherwise noted)
    +++Vet. Sgt. w/SB=11pts
    +++Autocannon=**pts
    +++Vox-caster=**pts
    +++5 guardsmen
    +Platoon 2 "Greeners" (conscripts)=120pts
    ++Platoon 2 C Squad=40pts
    +++10 conscripts w/lasguns
    ++Platoon 2 D Squad=40pts
    ++Platoon 2 E Squad=40pts

Total=500pts

So, what do you think? I blanked out the points for the heavy weapons and such since the price that would be shown is the price f the weapon upgrade, it would probably not be allowed to be shown. I have but one question: for the master-vox, do you have to pay once to make it a vox-caster, then again to make it a master-vox, making it a combination of the price listed in the HQ squad entry for vox-caster and maser-vox? The question in very hard to explain without listing point values but let's say this: say the vox-caster is 200pts and then it says "In the case of the Command Squad of the Command Platoon, the vox-caster may be further upgraded to a master-vox for" (let's say) +300pts. Would the master vox therefore cost 500pts or 300pts? I hope that makes the question a bit clearer. Thanks for the input that I know (hope) is coming!

--smguy

Armies:
    Shields of the Emperor SMs (in the making)
    Next:
    Nurgle IG AC/Grenadiers

Remember, give people rep if they help you.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    479 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by smguy
    Urrah for lots and lots of cannon fodder! In my opinion, all-infantry guard armies are really cool. You have that psychological factor (your 500-point army has 60 models?!), the awesome amount of firepower (hmm... let's see... you are within rapid-fire range so... 200 lasgun shots this turn), and the look on your opponent's face when his 200+ point dev squad takes the whole game picking off guardsmen with their lascannons (yay, me devs earned back 1/3 of their points value this turn! :w00t: ). Anyways, enough chatter, here's the list:

HQ=113pts
    +HQ Platoon=113pts
    ++HQ Squad=113pts (all guardsmen with LP/CCW unless otherwise noted)
    +++SO w/BP, PW, bionics=66pts
    +++Mortar=**pts
    +++Master-vox=**pts
    +++Medic w/BP, CCW=12pts
    Senior Officer is a waste of points, Juniors have the same leadership for less points and the extra wound doesn't really matter. Drop the bionics and trade the medic for a standard bearer. You prolly won't see enough direct combat for medic or bionics to matter and if you do, you have bigger issues.
    Troops
    +Platoon 1=256pts
    ++Platoon 1 Command=70pts (all guardsmen have lasguns unless otherwise noted)
    +++JO w/SB, CCW=45pts
    +++Heavy Bolter=**pts
    +++Vox-caster=**pts
    +++Plasma Gun=**pts
    Heavy bolters aren't efficient unless they are in dedicated squads or you know you're fighting a horde army, it'b be a good idea to go with an autocannon.
    ++Platoon 1 A Squad=98pts (all guardsmen have lasguns unless otherwise noted)
    +++Sgt. w/lasgun
    +++Lascannon=**pts
    +++Vox-caster=**pts
    +++5 guardsmen
    Lascannon's are ridiculously high in points and very opponent specific, consider trading for ML or some other more versatile weapon
    ++Platoon 1 B Squad=99pts (all guardsmen have lasguns unless otherwise noted)
    +++Vet. Sgt. w/SB=11pts
    +++Autocannon=**pts
    +++Vox-caster=**pts
    +++5 guardsmen
    Nothing really bad here
    +Platoon 2 "Greeners" (conscripts)=120pts
    ++Platoon 2 C Squad=40pts
    ++Platoon 2 D Squad=40pts
    ++Platoon 2 E Squad=40pts
    An interesting choice, how does it work for you?

Total=500pts

So, what do you think? I blanked out the points for the heavy weapons and such since the price that would be shown is the price f the weapon upgrade, it would probably not be allowed to be shown. I have but one question: for the master-vox, do you have to pay once to make it a vox-caster, then again to make it a master-vox, making it a combination of the price listed in the HQ squad entry for vox-caster and maser-vox? The question in very hard to explain without listing point values but let's say this: say the vox-caster is 200pts and then it says "In the case of the Command Squad of the Command Platoon, the vox-caster may be further upgraded to a master-vox for" (let's say) +300pts. Would the master vox therefore cost 500pts or 300pts? I hope that makes the question a bit clearer. Thanks for the input that I know (hope) is coming!
    you have to pay first for the vox, then FURTHER upgrade to master vox, i.e. add both together

--smguy
    Not alot of major issues, doesn't look bad except for the lascannon. In 500 pts you'll rarely see anything that you need one of those for, you'd fair alot better with an autocannon or missile launcher b/c these are more flexible.
    Last edited by Mastershake; July 3rd, 2006 at 09:02.
    Blais's Paint Studio-Getting broken armies good soft scores since 2009

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    144 (x3)

All-Infantry is definitely very cool. However the important points to remember when playing Imperial Guard, especially at low point totals, is the emphasis on getting as many men and guns as cheaply as possible. Conscripts are meat shields but they don't produce effective firepower. Three squads of them with nothing but lasguns is the equivalent of say two Guard Infantry Squads that have better BS (not often you get to say that about regular Guardsmen) and have decent weapons. As Mastershake pointed out, lascannons aren't a requirement for this point level. You're not likely to meet someone with a Land Raider in their 500 point list. If you do, just blast whatever comes out of it and they're pretty much screwed. Autocannons do good anti-tank duty in smaller settings, missile launchers can probably handle the worst. Don't forget that plasma guns are good for shooting down lighter vehicles in addition to melting Space Marines.

The one prohibitive thing here would be the requirement to field two Troops and an HQ in such a small point total. I'm assuming that's why you went with the Conscripts. Personally I'd talk to your opponent and suggest a few games of Combat Patrol. That's normally 400 points (though you can certainly bump it up to 500) and makes it easier to field decent forces while also placing logical limits on what can be fielded.

If that works out, just for reference, here is the Combat Patrol list that I tend to prefer. Packs in a lot of firepower and 45 bodies into a 400 point list so if nothing else its a decent template.

Command Squad—Junior Officer with Iron Discipline, plasma gun, and
    autocannon weapon team. 70
    Infantry Squad 1—Plasma gun and heavy bolter. 80
    Infantry Squad 2—Plasma gun and heavy bolter. 80
    Infantry Squad 3—Plasma gun and missile launcher. 85
    Infantry Squad 4—Plasma gun and missile launcher. 85
    "I would listen to Sokhar. The man's a genius. Listen."
    ~Lord Yossanrion
    "Thanks, Sokhar. There was some legitimately good advice in between the low-grade profanity, blaspheming and veiled insults."
    ~Quick
    "Well thought, intelligently put, with a hint of sarcastic bastard!"
    ~Diggum's Hammer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alright, taking your guys' suggestions, I have made the following changes:
    • Give the HQ Platoon JO a surveyer and trademark item
    • Give Platoon 1 Command an autocannon intead of a heavy bolter
    • Give Platoon 1 A Squad a ML instead of a lascannon
    • Give Platoon 1 A Squad a Vet. Sgt. with an SB and a surveyor
    And, adjust the points values accordingly. As for the combat patrol thing Sokhar, I don't really have some set people that I play with, I just play whoever so.... And anyways, this might be the beginning of a bigger all-infantry guard army depending on if I like how this one plays.
    So, how does the new list look? I put the surveyer in the HQ platoon squad mostly because if I get lucky with the dice roll, I might be able to pin the infiltrators for at least the first turn keeping them from doing any shneaky shtuff that they have on their minds. Thanks everyone.

--smguy

Armies:
    Shields of the Emperor SMs (in the making)
    Next:
    Nurgle IG AC/Grenadiers

Remember, give people rep if they help you.

+ Reply to Thread