1000 pt Black Templar list - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    84 (x2)

1000 pt Black Templar list

So I'm trying to make a 1000 pt Black Templar list to take on all comers. I'm a bit worried about a 15 man squad of footsloggers, so I've included 2 just in case one gets all shot-up. I'd like any and all advice you guys can offer to improve the list and make it better. Thanks in advance.

HQ
    Emperor's Champion - 140 (Accept any challenge vow)

Reclusiarch - 116 (Jump Pack, Bolt Pistol)

ELITE
    Dreadnought - 143 (Extra Armor, Smoke Launchers, Drop Pod)

TROOP
    15 man Crusader Squad - 235 (10 Marines, 5 neophytes bp/ccw, 1 marine has meltagun, 1 has power fist)

15 man Crusader Squad - 235 (10 Marines, 5 neophytes bp/ccw, 1 marine has meltagun, 1 has power fist)

FAST ATTACK
    5-man Assault Squad (2 PP & 1 PF)

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

crusader squads will get shot at, thats why having the neophytes up the front of the squad is a good idea so they die first, and you still have your inititaes at the end.

i think its a better idea to not take assault marines with back templars because your standard troop is just as good, just not as fast. you will still be moving forward if you get shot as long as you pass your Ld test, thats why its a good idea to have your chaplain and EC in each of the squads.

i reccomend not having the dread in a drop pod, it might come to late in the game. instead having wondering around with one of the crusader squads so he can be helpful. just deploy smoke on the first turn so he can only get glancing hits.

so instead of a jump pack for your chaplain give him terminaotr honors and a holy orb of antioch and have him join one of the crusader squads.

dump the assault squad. this gives you somewhat 150 points. take 2 land speeder tornado's or a predetor tank. assault marines are just exspensive crusaders.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

awsome double post because of tenichal error...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would still hold the jump pack because you can make lightning raids with your chaplin and he should be able to handle a squad at his own just make sure he has some back up. Let him move along with your crusader squad until turn 3 and make him assault.

Just like reflex said drop the dreadnought and the assault squad and I would go with a predator annihilator with HB side sponsons.
    DonĀ“t mess with the dicegod

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

84 (x2)

OK, so here's the new list with advice taken:

HQ
    Emporer's Champion (Accept Any Challenge) - 140

Reclusiarch (Bolt Pistol, 3 Cenobyte Servitors) - 126

ELITE
    Dreadnought (Extra Armor, Smoke Launchers) - 113

TROOP
    15 Man Crusader Squad (1 Power First, 1 Meltagun, 5 Neophytes) - 235

15 Man Crusader Squad (1 Power First, 1 Meltagun, 5 Neophytes) - 235

5 Man Crusader Squad (1 Lascannon, 1 Plasma Gun) &
    Rhino Transport - 151

Total - 1000

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You probably don't need the Rhino for your Las cannon squad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

84 (x2)

OK, finally we'll try this one:

HQ
    Emperor's Champion (Accept any Challenge) - 140

Reclusiarch - (Bolt Pistol, 3 Cenobyte Servitors) - 126

ELITE
    Dreadnought (Extra Armor, Smoke Launchers) 113

TROOP
    15 Man Crusader Squad (1 Power Fist, 1 Meltagun, 5 neophytes) - 235

15 Man Crusader Squad (1 Power Fist, 1 Meltagun, 5 neophytes) - 235

8 Man Crusader Squad (1 Power Fist, 1 Plasma Gun) - 149

TOTAL - 998

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks solid to me, go see how it does, for you I'd probably just take Uphold the Honour of the Emperor, but Accept and Challenge works.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

84 (x2)

So, as an update for you guys, I wanted to let you know how the army did in it's first game this weekend, and how it evolved for the second game. I don't have any pictures, so I'll make it short and sweet so I don't have to write a full battel report:

GAME 1: Take & Hold (Central Objective)

I played with the list above (2 15 man squads, Dreadnought, Emperor's Champ & Chaplain) against a SM shooty list (Dev squad, Term Squad, 2 Troop squads with PF Sergeants, HBs & PGs, 1 drop pod squad with PF & Meltagun), and the table was about 3'-3" x 4'-0" +/-.

So deployment was definately in his favor. I set up the two 15 man squads to my left and the Dreadnought to the right, and he used a denied flank to make it take forever to get my guys there (i.e. he set up on my right almost entirely). Well, he went first. By the third turn my first 15 man squad was hitting his terminators, my dreadnought was killing his drop pod squad. The second 15 man squad was still walking.

By the end, I had one 7 man squad left, and he had a couple of non-scoring units left. It ended in a draw.

Game 2: 5 Loot Counters
    The list changed a bit - as the dread really didn't do what it could have (1 EC, 1 reclusiarch w/3 Cenobyte Servitors, 20 man squad with melta/PF, 10 man squad in Rhino with Melta/PF, 1 5-man squad with las/plas, 5-man squad with plasma cannon/plasma gun.

I faced a new version of the same army above with the drop pod replaced with a assault squad. The list performed pretty well last time for him.

Set up: The loot counters were spread out over the board (1 in each corner, 1 at the center), so I set-up the main unit of 20 + EC + Reclusiarch w/3 Servitors in the center of my deployment zone, the rhino squad to the right, and both shooting squads with a cross-fire behind some area terrain with LOS to a couple of units. He set up basically as he did before.

I went first: Plasma cannon killed a unit of SMs single-handledly. Lascannon squad killed a couple of assault marines. the rhino ran ahead, poped smoke to prevent the devs shooting at anything else but itself. His shooting was almost useless, except that it moved my 20 man squad up 9" (into charge range). I moved my rhino up 12" and jumped out with my CC squad. My shooting was, again devastating, as was the charge of the 20-man squad. Giant scrum in the middle of the board went badly for my opponent with BTs hitting on 3+, and neophytes hitting on a 4+. Game was over by turn 3 when the rhino squad killed the dev squad in CC. He had no one left, I had both shooting squads as scoring & the rhino.

So in summary, I found out that a mixture of CC & shooting squads helps the charge to hit home a bit harder (2/3:1/3 seems right). I'm not sure that I'll go with the 15 man squads again, as the 20 performed so much better. The rhino was also handy and posed a different threat to the enemy, and I think I'll keep it in the list for a bit to see how it performs. Thanks for the advice!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well, a good Templar player should always have a healthy mix of cc and ranged marines. And sorry to counterpoint the others, but I find that assault squads are one of the most useful units a Tempalr player can have. I usually use them with meltaombs to perform hit-and-run tactics on armour, and also to tie up big units until the crusader squads arrive. if you had had an assault squad in that second game, the battle would have been easier, as you would've had the assault squad speeding towards the enemy. And Uphold The Honour of The Emperor is great for a cc army, as the 6+ invul save really takes the edge off those heavy weapons facing your men.
    Ā«There is no life without Black Templars.Ā»

I am the hammer! I am the sword! I am the mail about His fist! I am the helm about his head! I am the vengeance, I am the Hate! Et Imperator Es Gloriam! Domine Salve Nos!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast