First Daemon Hunters List - 1000 points - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First Daemon Hunters List - 1000 points

HQ
    Brother captain
    Word of the emperor
    = 71

TROOPS
    9 Grey knights
    Grey knight justicar
    Psycannon
    = 300

10 Inquisitorial stormtroopers
    2 plasma guns
    = 120

FAST ATTACK
    4 Grey knights
    Grey knight justicar
    Incinerator
    = 160

ELITES
    4 Grey knight terminators
    Incinerator
    = 199

HEAVY SUPPORT
    Grey knights dreadnought
    Twin linked lascannon
    Missile launcher
    = 140

TOTAL POINTS = 990

* Brother captain joins the unit of 4 Grey knight terminators.

Comments appreciated.

~ Lindsay ~

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    103 (x8)

HQ
    Brother captain
    Word of the emperor
    = 71

ELITES
    4 Grey knight terminators
    Incinerator
    = 199
    First off, a bit of general advice: Never take a GK Hero and a seperate GK Terminator (GKT) unit. You're paying for a second Brother Captain that way (which, by the way, you neglected to do. That Elite GKT unit should cost you 214 and include a required Brother Captain to lead it), and Brother Captains really aren't anything special. Also, if you plan on Deepstriking these guys, they'd have to make seperate Reserves and Scatter rolls to come in - they aren't a single unit, so they cannot come in together! It's always better to take a GK Hero and to give him a Bodyguard of GKT - you pay less points by giving up that second Brother Captain from the Elite squad, and the Hero and GKT are joined together.

Now specifics: I'd strongly suggest not taking so many GKT in such a small list. You've got just over a quarter of your entire army's cost in these five models! A good HQ for such a small game is a solo Brother Captain, with no GKT in the list at all. If you *really* feel the need to take GKT, go with the minimum Bodyguard size of 3, giving you a BC + 3 GKT for around 200pts total. Still hefty, but its the cheapest way.

TROOPS
    9 Grey knights
    Grey knight justicar
    Psycannon
    = 300

2 plasma guns
    = 120
    Nice and solid here, good.

FAST ATTACK
    4 Grey knights
    Grey knight justicar
    Incinerator
    = 160
    The squad size here is a no-no. Fast Attack GK (FAGK) need to be large, ideally 8-10 models per squad. This is because they're the melee guys - they'll be coming down closer to the enemy and will almost always see combat within a turn or two of landing. Additionally, since Deepstriking units cannot move or assault on the turn they land, your FAGK will be forced to endure a round of enemy shooting and potentially the enemy's subsequent charge - if they start out with 5 models and lose even one to that shooting...

Another point: if you really can't adjust this list to make this unit larger, at least drop the FAGK's Incinerator. When you give a GK in power armor a special weapon, he loses his Nemesis Force Weapon and Stormbolter - and therefore he also loses the +2S bonus and True Grit! That makes the special weapon-carrying GK extremely poor in melee combat, at least when you consider his price. In smaller games and smaller unit sizes, you need every attack you can get!

HEAVY SUPPORT
    Grey knights dreadnought
    Twin linked lascannon
    Missile launcher
    = 140
    If you find yourself with a few leftover points, Extra Armor and Smoke Launchers are important (but not essential) upgrades for all vehicles in your army.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Make the BC and GKT and drop the Psychic Power, Fast Attack Grey Knights, Incinerator and PsyCannon.
    With those points I'd get another squad of IST with a Chimera to get more wounds, more special weapons, more heavy weapons, more mobility and another vehicle for your opponent to target other than the dreadnought.
    Last edited by Inquisitor Majoris; July 11th, 2006 at 02:45.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First off, a bit of general advice: Never take a GK Hero and a seperate GK Terminator (GKT) unit.
    All right fixed that up, the brother captain has a retinue of 4 grey knight terminators. I might remove the 4 grey knight terminators in favour of more grey knights though - I'll just see how the terminators play first.

Another point: if you really can't adjust this list to make this unit larger, at least drop the FAGK's Incinerator.
    Removed the incinerator from the fast attack grey knights. As mentioned before, if the terminators don't work then this unit size will be increased to 8-10.

If you find yourself with a few leftover points, Extra Armor and Smoke Launchers are important (but not essential) upgrades for all vehicles in your army.
    I had 10 points left over so I added both your recommendations.

Here is my slightly revised list:

HQ
    Brother captain
    Word of the emperor
    = 71

Retinue: 4 Grey knight terminators
    Psycannon
    = 209

TROOPS
    9 Grey knights
    Grey knight justicar
    Psycannon
    = 300

2 plasma guns
    = 120

FAST ATTACK
    4 Grey knights
    Grey knight justicar
    = 150

HEAVY SUPPORT
    Grey knights dreadnought
    Twin linked lascannon
    Missile launcher
    Extra armour
    Smoke launchers
    = 148

TOTAL POINTS = 998

I should be playing this list tomorrow so I'll let everyone know how the brother captain, his retinue of 4 grey knight terminators and the 5 PAGK's play out. Also thanks for the responses so far - they really help!

~ Lindsay ~
    Last edited by Lindsay; July 12th, 2006 at 00:49.

The Lost Glade - a wood elf forum

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

786 (x8)

It's not a bad list, but your FAGK unit is way WAY too small, whether it's deep striking or walking. You need to get it up to 8+ models somehow. Were it me, I'd drop the terminators, period. But, since you said you really want to try them out, I'd say drop the psycannon from the PAGK unit (actually, I think you should drop it anyway; you're spending points to remove a STR 6 NFW and True Grit, and the range on the psycannon is less than that of his brother's storm bolters when the squad moves; not a good tradeoff!), and them move two PAGKs from the troops GKs to the FAGKs. Leaves you with 8 in each squad, which is not bad.
    ninjabackhand: point and click, again, really? even after i give you an military term "shock tactic" you still call it point and click.
    RIP Warhammer 40,000: 21 Sep 1998 - 24 May 2014

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lindsay
    I should be playing this list tomorrow so I'll let everyone know how the brother captain, his retinue of 4 grey knight terminators and the 5 PAGK's play out.
    Alright I'm finally getting back to everyone with how my list went - I made both grey knight units size 8. I played against orks; my opponents army consisted of around 5 vehicles; one which I would like to describe as the uber tank of doom, 10 storm boyz (I think that's what you call them) and three of the vehicles had orks in them (around 10 orks in each).

- I lost the dreadnought on my second turn after it got destroyed by his uber tank. I did manage to hit one of his vehicles and penetrate but didn't do anything. I think the dreadnought is worth taking, just bad luck for me and good luck for my opponent.
    - The 10 inquisitorial stormtroopers were reduced to 5 when they got hit by his uber tank. They didn't do anything else all game as nothing was in sight to shoot - bad deployment on my part. I feel that the inquisitorial stormtroopers done nothing of importance except take a hit from his uber tank - they were too slow and didn't have the manouverability to get into a shooting position to do anything.
    - The 8 grey knights done fine, got into combat and killed some orks who jumped out of a vehicle and I had lost most of the unit by the end of the game. Good, done what I would have expected.
    - The brother captain and his retinue of 4 grey knight terminators deep striked turn two and managed to destroy a vehicle with their psycannon. They got assaulted by 10 storm boyz and I lost only a couple of terminators, but in return they wiped out the entire unit. The ork vehicle that was destroyed from the psycannon had my opponents HQ and some other models (around 10) so I moved and assaulted them. I managed to kill a few orks and lost a terminator or two in return. Next I directed my attacks against the ork HQ and killed it but in return lost my brother captain from the other orks attacks - there were 3 orks left in that unit now. Good, I don't want to drop this unit just yet - they dished out lots of devastation and managed to take a LOT too.
    - The 8 FAGK's deep striked on turn FOUR; they easily took down the 3 remaining orks though. In my opponents turn he used his uber tank to kill around 5 FAGK's and assaulted with some more orks that jumped out of a vehicle and killed the remaining 3 FAGK's - I killed a few orks in return though. This unit didn't do much thanks to the uber tank destroying most of the unit - better luck next time.

Well, thats how my list played out. I don't know where to go from here; should I drop the inquisitorial stormtroopers and take two units of 10 grey knights as my troop choice?

~ Lindsay ~

The Lost Glade - a wood elf forum

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

maybe put them in a rhino it will get them into a useful firing position faster and the rhino also makes for some mobile cover
    THERE ARE ACTUALY 8 WONDERS OF THE WORLD...AND CHUCK NORRIS IS 4 OF THEM!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, rhino up the stormies if you can.

As for your results - sounds like a good first game. I agree with your assesments of the units - particularly the dread, give him another chance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    178 (x7)

I am not that fond of ISTs. I would recommend a Squad of 5 PAGKs with two Psycannons, or a full squad of 10 walking with no upgrades. These to me are our best options for troop choices. If you do take ISTs, have them in a Rhino with a couple of Meltas or in a Chimera with a couple of Plasmas.
    "A love for tradition has never weakened a nation, indeed it has strengthened nations in their hour of peril."
    Sir Winston Churchil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i agree with diggums hammer, I just don't think I care for ISTs very much I've only had them be successful in one game in all the others the only thing they did well was die. keep the terminators I have been finding that they do so much more than my GK squads. I'm sure I'll tick off a lot of people by suggesting this list but....

HQ
    BC + 4 GKT +psy

Troops
    JC + 7 GK + inc

JC + 7 GK + inc

Heavy

GK dreadnought TLLC + CCW SB

GK dreadnought TLLC + CCW SB

exactly 1000 pts

now I've never tried this list (yet ) so let me know if anyone has or does at some point, but I don't think your opponent would expect to see so much tough stuff in a 1000pt game.

+ Reply to Thread