Raven Guard 1500 and Shrike - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Raven Guard 1500 and Shrike

Raven guard traits are; Blessed Be the Warriors, No Mercy No Respite & Flesh over Steel. Good for Furious Charge, bad for Vehicles.

HQ

Shrike & 5x Shrike's Wing - 430 Pts

ELITE

5x Terminators w/ Assault Cannon & Missile Launcher - 245 Pts

TROOP

5x Scouts w/ Sniper Rifles & 1x Missile Launcher - 95 Pts

5x Scouts w/ CC Weapons & Bolt Pistols - 65 Pts

FAST

10x Assault Marines, 2x Flamer & Veteran w/ Power Fist - 262 Pts

Land Speeder Tornado (HB/AC) - 80 Pts

HEAVY

8x Devestators, 4x Plasma Cannon, 4x Bolters - 260 Pts

Total: 1427, that leaves me 73pts spare.

The idea is to Assault 1st Turn with Shrike and buddies(or hide then assault:yes: ), which will cover advances from assault marines, scouts and Deep-striking Termies. Snipers and Devestators stay as a firebase.

Is this any good? how do I spend those 73pts? do i need a teleport homer on my assault sergeant? anything else?

TAU PLAYER - GREY KNIGHTS PLAYER - WOOD ELVES PLAYER (kind of)

"Grey Knight terminators aren't 'good.' THEY'RE F****N AWESOME!!"

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    39 (x1)

I'd try to give the Terminators 2 Assault Cannons if you can - much better than a mix and match. You could buy a drop pod for the terminators too. Alternatively you could try to find 7 points from somewhere (2 if you change to 2AC on the terminators) and buy another LST - they really are worth it.

Plasma cannon Dev squads are very extravagant - you could save points and get 4 Missile Launchers but it probably won't save you enought points to buy much with.

Shrikes wing really are expensive aren't they?! I was allied with Ravenguard in a game this week and Shrike's WIng proved to be a 'one hit wonder' as they wiped a squad out then got counter charged and wiped out themselves!

Plasma pistols on the assault marines would help against armour too...

The only other place i'd try to spend my points is on increasing the size of the CC scout squad - getting it to full strength with a vet sgt with powerfist.

Hope some of this helps....or at least gives food for thought

Peace

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i'm right with you on the scouts idea - i'm getting the plastic scouts soon.

i'm at least going to use the plasma cannons for a few games to see if they are worth it (plus i've only got two missile launchers). same with the termies, if the missile launcher proves better, i'll use two. good advice though.

shrike's wing, while extravagent, is good at what it does. this list is mostly going to see necrons (the tourny coming up is full of them, and my best mate has them too), so they should go in against somthing likewarriors, or a full squad of immortals. the idea is to match them against somthing that is tough but won't kill them easily. this way, they should be in assault 'till my turn 2. plus if i kill them all in turn 1 i can sweep into the next squad.

anyway, thanks for the advice. keep it coming, and i'll tell you how they get on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    39 (x1)

Definitely try to find the 7 points for another LST in the meantime...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here is the revised list (with short delay as i paint my Plasma Cannons...:rolleyes: )
    it features less points spent on Shrike, termies and assault marines in exchange for some scouts (i realised i had practically no Troops; never a good thing) and a Land Speeder.

HQ

Shrike & 4x Shrike's Wing - 379 Pts

ELITE

5x Terminators w/ 2x Assault Cannon - 240 Pts

TROOP

5x Scouts w/ 4x Shotgun & 1x Heavy Bolter - 70 Pts

FAST

8x Assault Marines, 2x Plasma Pistol & Veteran w/ Power Fist - 216 Pts

2x Land Speeder Tornado (HB/AC) - 160 Pts

HEAVY

Total: 1485, so now what? i have just enough points to buy a Veteran Sergeant Scout with a tele homer.
    Last edited by squall14; July 13th, 2006 at 23:27.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    50 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by squall14
    Here is the revised list (with short delay as i paint my Plasma Cannons...:rolleyes: )
    it features less points spent on Shrike, termies and assault marines in exchange for some scouts (i realised i had practically no Troops; never a good thing) and a Land Speeder.

HQ

Ok, that's a lot of points to spend on 5 guys, but I'm not a raven guard player, so I can't really speak to their effectiveness. Just keep in mind, ideally, units should be able to earn their points back in casualties. You've got five guys that need to rack up almost 400 points in kills. If these cats can do that, then fine. Otherwise, I'd really think about dropping this unit hard.

ELITE

5x Terminators w/ 2x Assault Cannon - 240 Pts
    Here again, a really expensive unit with a low model count. If you add this selection to your HQ, you've got more than a third of your available points wrapped up in 10 models. Be careful with stuff like this.

TROOP

5x Scouts w/ 4x Shotgun & 1x Heavy Bolter - 70 Pts
    If you haven't used them much yet, I think you're going to find that sniper rifles aren't worth taking unless you've got more than what you're showing. The second squad will be good for tying up a unit for a turn and not much else. The third squad is mixing weapons- assault weapons with a long range weapon. Typically, this isn't what you want to do. I hope you don't have the scout w/shotguns models because while I'm a big fan of shotguns in real life, they stink in 40k. Give these guys bolters, or even better, get a tactical squad in there somewhere.

FAST

By the book and solid. Good squad.

Good again. These things always make their points back for me.

HEAVY

Wow. Hate to sound like a broken record, but again, that's a whole lot of points to spend on one squad. Not to mention they'll spend at least one round moving and not shooting, but you seem like you really want to try this idea, so I'll shut up.

Personally, I think you've got too few models and too many expensive models. If you face any horde type opponent, you're going to have a hard time just putting enough lead in the air to do much against them. I'd drop either the Shrike & wing combo, the terminators, or the devs for sure in lieu of some marines. I just think you're going to be in for a rude awakening on the effectiveness of some of this units at this level of game.
    We all carry on,
    When our brothers in arms are gone.
    So raise your glass high
    For tomorrow we die,
    And return from the ashes you call.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    39 (x1)

I really think you should combine the scouts together into a squad of 10 with CC weapons. Give the vet sergeant of the scout squad a power fist and telehomer. I'd maybe ditch Shrikes wing and put him with the assault squad. Try the Devs but i think Missile Launchers will work better for you.

With the spare points get another squad of scouts but don't give them a HB - its pretty rubbish - bolters or shotguns i reckon as it will only be a small squad. If you do ditch shrikes wing you could use tactical marines....

Save the Shrike WIng idea for 2000 points maybe?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ok, i get the point about the shotguns, i used blutac on the scouts and they sucked! i'm combining the two squads of scouts, but i'm keeping the Heavy bolter as it seemed handy. I'm also taking out the Termies so i had a slightly higher model count, and i only want to remove shrike if it really is dragging my list down that far. plus the models still haven't arrived yet...

also, the Plasma Devestators are worth their weight in gold. especially against MEQs.

HQ

ELITE

5x Space Marines Veterans (infiltrate) w/ BP & CC Weapons, 1x Powerfist - 115 Pts

Dreadnought w/ TL Lascannon, Missile Launcher & Extra Armour - 140 Pts

TROOP

10 Scouts w/ CC Weapons & Bolt Pistols & 1x Heavy Bolter - 135 Pts

FAST

HEAVY

Total; 1500 Pts

that done, any other ideas?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    39 (x1)

still think you would benefit massively from a Powerfist in the CC Scout squad. The HB will really suck with them because if you fire it, you can't charge, 27 S4 and 4 S8 hits on the charge shouldn't be missed!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    50 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by squall14
    ok, i get the point about the shotguns, i used blutac on the scouts and they sucked! i'm combining the two squads of scouts, but i'm keeping the Heavy bolter as it seemed handy. I'm also taking out the Termies so i had a slightly higher model count, and i only want to remove shrike if it really is dragging my list down that far. plus the models still haven't arrived yet...

Also, the Plasma Devestators are worth their weight in gold. especially against MEQs.
    Yeah, shotguns are really disappointing stats wise.

The HB in the big scout squad isn't bad, just don't be afraid to move the squad because of it.

Ok, so Shrike and the boys and the plasma devs are definitely in, eh? Hmmm, well, how about this- ever think about losing that assault squad?

Big reason so many folks on here love assault squads is they become totally nasty when you pair them up with a chaplain. Being as how you're not fielding a chaplain, their effectiveness is somewhat lower. Now, I'm not saying their worthless or anything, but you've already got one assault element (shrike and co.), do you really need a second one?

My math could be off, but you probably could trade that assault squad in for two six-man tac squads each with a plasmagun or meltagun and still have change left over.

Just something to think about.
    Last edited by DEADMARSH; July 15th, 2006 at 03:10.
    We all carry on,
    When our brothers in arms are gone.
    So raise your glass high
    For tomorrow we die,
    And return from the ashes you call.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast