1.5k Space Wolves, All-Comers, Friendly Play - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1.5k Space Wolves, All-Comers, Friendly Play

Questions first:

1. There are a bunch of instances (like the number of HQ units required or availability of heavy or special weapons in various packs) where it says "round fractions up" in the Space Wolves codex. So does that mean in a 1000 point army I am required to have 2 HQ unites because you round the fraction up? One HQ per 750 points would be 1 1/3 HQ units required in a 1k point army, so you round the fraction up and so 2 whole HQ would be required, yes?

2. Is there any use for Wolf Guards beside putting them in that awesomely cheap terminator armour?

-----------------------------

HQ - 308 pts

Wolf Priest - Terminator Armour, SB, Healing Potions & Balms, Runic Charm

Venerable Dreadnought - Standard Equip + TL Autocannon, Extra Armour

ELITES - 454 pts

4 Wolfguard (bodyguard for Wolf Priest) - 4x Termie Armour, 4x PW, 2x Assault Cannon, 2x SB, 4x Runic Charm

6 Wolfscouts - 2 PP, 1 PW

6 Wolfscouts - 2 PP, 1 PW

TROOPS - 546 pts

8 Grey Hunters - 1 PW, 1 PF, 2 PP, 4 Bolter/CCW

8 Grey Hunters - 1 PW, 1 PF, 2 PP, 4 Bolter/CCW

10 Blood Claws - 3 PF

HEAVY SUPPORT - 189 pts

1 Pack Leader w/ 4 Long Fangs - 1 Bolter/CCW, 4 ML

------------------------

Ok, this is my very first attempt at a Space Wolves list, so all criticism is welcome, but constructive criticism is much preferred. The thought behind this army is to have a list that can adapt to whatever might come. The core of the army is the mobile firepower of the Wolfguard Terminators, which should be incredibly resilient due to the Wolf Priest and Runic Charms. The Ven. 'Nought gives me added options of how to begin the game and they can sit back with the Long Fangs to provide some good long range support. Plus the 'Nought can help protect the Long Fangs from assault. Then, of course, the Grey Hunters and Blood Claws can just provide a solid wall of death that can advance upon the enemy. The Wolfscouts can jump in from behind to take out those pesky shooty squads or to give those blasted crisis suits something to deal with in all directions . . . etc . . .

Anyway, this seems to be a good all-comers list to me. Let me know what you think!

"There will never be enough peace in the universe unless first there is enough war." - Farseer Eleuflin

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Since this is your first SW list, i'm just making sure. You know only one of those scout packs can Operate Behind Enemy Lines, correct?

The wording you used suggests otherwise.
    Sam Mills (1959-2005) and Mark Fields - Keep Pounding

Cry Cheese, And Let Loose The Wraithlords And Templar!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Crap, you're right. I knew that, just forgot in the passion-of-the-moment . . . ya know, seeing both squads come charging at the enemy from behind . . .

well, that means I'll probably only take one of those squads and use the leftover points somewhere else. I'll have to rework the list tonight after work. Any suggestions?

How is the list beside that, as far as core and concept?

--------

Oh yeah, I just remembered another question.

When it comes to drop podding, the codex rules seem a little confusing. It seems like it is saying if one unit drop pods, then everyone in the army has to, therefore things that can't go in a drop pod, like tanks and such, must stay on board the ship. Am I reading that right? Or can I drop pod just a single unit and set the rest up as usual like a normal army? I read the Space Wolves FAQ but it just kinda made it more confusing.
    Last edited by Battle-Brother Wags; July 14th, 2006 at 13:51.
    "There will never be enough peace in the universe unless first there is enough war." - Farseer Eleuflin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Battle-Brother Wags
    When it comes to drop podding, the codex rules seem a little confusing. It seems like it is saying if one unit drop pods, then everyone in the army has to, therefore things that can't go in a drop pod, like tanks and such, must stay on board the ship. Am I reading that right? Or can I drop pod just a single unit and set the rest up as usual like a normal army? I read the Space Wolves FAQ but it just kinda made it more confusing.
    That is addressed in the F.A.Q. We now use Codex: Space Marines Drop Pod rules.
    Sam Mills (1959-2005) and Mark Fields - Keep Pounding

Cry Cheese, And Let Loose The Wraithlords And Templar!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    116 (x5)

Wolf Guard are good for leading squads of greyhunters and bloodclaws.

You need 15 bloodclaws to field 3 powerfists I beleive. 1 power fist for every 5 marines.

Drop the power weapons on the scouts for melta guns to go tank hunting.

Drop the power weapon on the grey hunters for another powerfist.
    Xbox Gamertag: x Helbrecht x

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the scouts that cant OBEL, give them bolters and a missile launcher. (thats the squad with SM equipment) it doesnt hurt to have more anti tank...or bolters.

for the grey hunters i suggest 2hvy bolters, 1 lascannon, and 1 missile launcher.
    if its anti tank, youve got something a little stronger than a krak missile. if its anti infantry, youve got bolters, frags, and a lascannon. If its both, split your fire. a lascannon to the tank, everything else on the infantry.

i think giving the venerable dread an assault cannon is the best thing to do. a twin autocannon will always hit, even on a regular dread, but dont you want an assault cannon hitting on 2s?

you also need special weapons in your grey hunters, you should take out the pistols, and add meltaguns...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

HQ -

Wolf Priest - Termi Armour, SB, HP&B, Runich Charm

Venerable Dreadnought - Assault Cannon, Extra Armour

ELITES -

Wolfguard - same bodyguard for wolf priest as listed above

6x Wolf Scouts, 2 PP, 2 PW
    1 Wolfguard Leader, BP/PF, Wolf Tooth Necklace

TROOPS -

8 Grey Hunters, 2 PF, 2 PP

8 Grey Hunters, 2 PF, 2 PP

12 Blood Claws, 3 PF, 1 Meltagun (I'm pretty sure this is legal because of the "fractions round up"rule)

HEAVY SUPPORT -

Leman Russ Exterminator, Hull-Mounted HB, HB Side-Sponsons, Extra Armour

---------------

Ok, what do you think of that? I kinda used some comments from other threads to alter the list as well. I know a single tank is kinda a bullet-magnet, but it puts out more fire than a devastator squad of ML and is more mobile. The armour is good except for the back. I figured that the Leman Russ and the Dreadnought would kinda stick close together for mutual cover.

More comments definately welcome!

Are people good with that wolfguard bodyguard? I think it'll work pretty well but its pretty much theory for me at this point.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ah, yet again. I keep reading other people's tactics and lists and such . . . I think this list is even better. Someone please comment on it, I really would like the opinions of some experienced Space Wolf players. Thanks in advance. This list I think is quite balanced in assault/shootiness, and is quite mechanized.

HQ -

Wolf Priest - Termie Armour, SB, HP&B, Runic Charm

Venerable Dreadnought - Plasma Cannon, Missile Launcher, Extra Armour

ELITES -

4 Wolfguards - 4 Terminator Armours, 4 PW, 2 Assault Cannons, 2 SB, 4 Runic Charm - Bodyguard for Wolf Priest

5 Wolf Scouts - 1 Meltagun, 2 PW
    Wolfguard Leader (for Scouts) - BP, PF, Wofl Teeth Necklace

TROOPS -

6 Grey Hunters - 5 Bolter/CCW, 1 PF, 1 PG

10 Blood Claws, 2 PF, 1 Meltagun w/ Rhino, Extra Armour, Smoke Launchers

10 Blood Claws, 2 PF, 1 Meltagun w/ Rhino, Extra Armour, Smoke Launchers

HEAVY SUPPORT -

Leman Russ Exterminator - Hull-Mounted Heavy Bolter, HB Side-Sponsons, Extra Armour

-------------

The Exterminator and the Venerable Dread provide heavy support from a distance. The terminator wolfguard provides brings mid-range hell upon the enemy (they are not intended for CC, but can certainly lend a hand if needed). The Grey Hunters are one of those all-purpose units. It is small, but if its targeted, that lets my BCs slip in more quickly. But if they're ignored, they can certainly do some damage as well. And then the Blood Claws just go screaming in, as is their nature. And of course, the scouts pop in from behind as soon as possible (hopefully) and hopefully cause as much panic as possible, even in trying to be prepared for their coming . . . Even if they don't come in until turn 4, the enemy must plan for them coming on turn 2, cause it could happen.

Please, let me know what you think.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    116 (x5)

The list looks good, those grey hunters are small enough not to be considered a big threat and can slip in quietly and take objectives.:yes:
    Xbox Gamertag: x Helbrecht x

+ Reply to Thread