Assassination Force - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x3)

Assassination Force

In two weeks we will be haveing an assassination mission for CoD. This is what I have picked. I will be going up against DeathGuard. I went with the HQ and 4 elite option. Max points to play with is 1500.

HQ GM with Grimoire of True Names,Sacred Incense,Icon of the of the Just,Destroy Daemon,
    psycannon bolts,targeter
    3 Terminators 1 with psycannon 379 pts.

Elite
    GKT BC has psycannon bolts,master-crafted NFW,Icon of the Just,targeter +4 Termointors
    1 with Incinerator + Holocaust 331pts

Inquisitor with power armour and psycannon 62pts
    along with 2 HB servitors and 1 Plasma Cannon Servitor 95pts Vindicare Assassin 110pts

Total 977pts.

Why use science and education when ignorance and superstition will work just as well.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

786 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantianWarrior
    Max points to play with is 1500.
    So why is your list apparently only 1000 pts? Are you setting the limit? Can you opponent take as much as s/he wants, regardless of what you take?
    I will be going up against DeathGuard. I went with the HQ and 4 elite option.
    I'm not familiar with the alternative force org charts for the alternate CoD missions. But, despite the fact that you're playing Death Guard -- and your likely assassination target is going to be a daemon -- I'd want to load up on more bodies than your list has. A LOT more bodies. He would only need a few squads of Chaos marines to take out your terminators, let alone everything else he could bring. What if a defiler drops a pie plate on you? (Maybe he can't. Don't know what the assassination target's Force Org chart looks like, either.)

I think it's a lot smarter to go with the regular Force Org chart. Need more troops! Assuming that's an option...
    HQ GM with Grimoire of True Names,Sacred Incense,Icon of the of the Just,Destroy Daemon,
    psycannon bolts,targeter
    Seems so very heavy. But ... seeing as the goal is the likely assassination of a daemon, hard to fault you for the massive investment. I'd even spring for the psycannon rather than psycannon bolts. (I wouldn't ever take psycannon bolts when you have the option for a psycannon anyway.) Take advantage of your GM's BS of 5!
    Elite
    GKT BC has psycannon bolts,master-crafted NFW,Icon of the Just,targeter +4 Termointors

along with 2 HB servitors and 1 Plasma Cannon Servitor 95pts Vindicare Assassin 110pts
    If you're going to take a plasma cannon servitor, you really need to spring for two sages so you can try to save your PC from blowing up. Also, take a mystic! If any nasty daemons appear on the board, you can take a free shot at them! But drop the power armor from the inquisitor.

The Vindicare seems like a good choice for assassination.

BUT, I would exchange your terminators for GKs. I'd want to take at least two 8+ model squads of marching GKs. You certainly don't have the points -- at only 1000 -- to do it and include everything else you have, too. But I would try making cuts somewhere to get more GKs on the board. You will definitely want them against those nurgle marines.
    Last edited by number6; August 4th, 2006 at 20:36.
    ninjabackhand: point and click, again, really? even after i give you an military term "shock tactic" you still call it point and click.
    RIP Warhammer 40,000: 21 Sep 1998 - 24 May 2014

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x3)

Thanks for the imput number6. Here are the FOCs for both players. Attacker
    Compulsory 1 HQ,2 Elites,1 Fast Attack Optional 1 HQ , 4Elites
    Optional 2 Troops,2 Fast Attack

For the Defender
    Compulsory 1HQ,3troops
    Optional 6 troops,1Elites
    Optional 3 Heavy Support

Thanks for the help.
    Last edited by AtlantianWarrior; August 4th, 2006 at 21:45.
    Why use science and education when ignorance and superstition will work just as well.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

786 (x8)

Attacker
    Compulsory Optional Optional
    1 HQ 1HQ 2Troops
    2 Elites 4Elites 2 Fast Attack
    1 Fast Attack

Defender
    Compulsory Optional Optional
    1HQ 6troops 3 HEavy Support
    3troops 1Elites

Thanks for the help.
    It looks like you'll be going against a troops-heavy force. Which, if I were playing Death Guard, would be squads of T5 chaos marines. For only 1000 pts, your opponent could easily have 3 7-strong squads of marines for compulsory troops, complete with free aspiring champions and possessed Rhino transports (which I'd use to control walking and firing lanes), a tooled up daemon for HQ, and a mix of more chaos marines, dreadnoughts, defilers.

In my own recent CoD games, which we've been playing at 1000 pts, my opponent is a Death Guard player, and that's what he takes normally with the usual Force Org. It's very balanced and difficult to beat.

It also looks like your list is illegal, as you didn't include a Fast Attack choice, which appears to be compulsory. I'd fill your compulsory slots with a GK Hero and retinue for HQ, an inquisitor (w/retinue?) and an assassin for elites, and FAGKs for your Fast Attack. I'd be tempted to not take a retinue for the inquisitor, and instead park him with a chimera-mounted IST squad with plasma guns. Partly, this depends on the level of the mission. At alpha, and probably gamma, too, I'd keep the shooty inquisitor retinue. But at omega, I'd ditch it in favor of the IST "retinue". Just too many ruins blocking sight lines and too much cover for protection to make all that long-distance firepower worth it.

Again, I'd do all I can to offset your expensive compulsory requirements by taking as many core troops as you can after that. Even ISTs would be worth it, but GK squads would be far more useful to you (obviously).

Now, at only 1000 pts, against my Death Guard opponent, I've only been taking a BC with a psycannon. No retinue. Granted, we haven't been playing the alternate missions yet, but I've never been unhappy with more troops instead of more terminators. In this particular scenario, I might take the GM (sacred incense, icon of the just, psycannon), but still no retinue. I'd try to keep him near other squads so he can't be singled out in shooting. (Watch out for any Doom Sword attacks!) Try and get in close with your troops, use an Eversor or Callidus to take out blocking troops as you advance under covering fire from you inquisitor. Or, if you have ISTs, use them to screen your advance and tie up chaos marines for even a round or two so you can skirt around and get to your objective.
    Last edited by number6; August 4th, 2006 at 20:54.
    ninjabackhand: point and click, again, really? even after i give you an military term "shock tactic" you still call it point and click.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x3)

Here is a revised list.

psycannon bolts,targeter

Fast Attack Justicar+9 PAGK 275 pts.

Elite

Total 1252pts.

This will be an Omega level game. The objective of the mission is to destroy the defenders HQ.Can the Justicar use anything from the war gear section from the armoury? I do have time to play around with is list so I might change it up.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

786 (x8)

Here is a revised list.
    Looks all you really did was add in the FAGK squad, so just pretend I'm repeating myself here from earlier. For example, get sages for the inquisitor retinue, think about replacing the elite GKTs with GKs, think about taking a retinue-less HQ, always take a psycannon over psycannon bolts, etc.
    This will be an Omega level game. The objective of the mission is to destroy the defenders HQ.Can the Justicar use anything from the war gear section from the armoury? I do have time to play around with is list so I might change it up.
    In the Omega level games I've played, the board is packed with ruins, and there are very few sight lines longer than 18"-24" unless you're willing to move up levels in the highest building on the board -- which is supposed to be the central one. Of course, after you move, you can't shoot your heavy weapons. These are the reasons why I don't take the shooty inquisitor retinue at this mission level and opt for the mobile plasma gun IST squad instead. A psycannon-toting inquisitor packs a nice extra punch to it plus gives you more troops to play with. That said, if your board has no more than about 8 ruins on it ... then maybe, maybe you can get by with that shooty retinue.

But keep in mind: the scenario is designed such that YOU have to go to your opponent. If s/he's smart, s/he will just hunker down in the ruins in their deployment zone and force you to fight your way through multiple layers of them, all the while dropping ordnance or other heavy weaponry on you. There won't be many targets presented to your static fire support squad. My usual opponent in these games has always taken a defiler with indirect fire, and such a weapon can really put the hurt on you when you are forced to move into a few open areas. I also know that he intends to take a havoc squad for the next game we play, too, and I'm not looking forward to it. A dug in havoc squad that just has to watch you come for them won't be fun for you to deal with, either.

I can't urge you to take more troops strongly enough. Especially mobile troops like mounted ISTs or Seraphim from the Witch Hunters. I really would ditch those elite GKTs -- your assassin and lone inquisitor will take care of your compulsory choices -- and shoot for 2 to 3 8- to 10-man GK squads. You can easily make that in the 1250 pts you're spending. In one of my 1000 pt CoD variants, I have a BC with a psycannon, 8 ISTs with plasma guns, 2x 8 GKs, 8 Seraphim, and a dreadnought. You could, just for an example, and for 1250 pts, ditch the dread for a chimera and add in a retinue for the BC, add in sacred incense, too. (Although I still don't understand how your points levels are working. What is the level you're playing at? It doesn't appear to be set. Why aren't you taking 1500 pts, therefore? Or more than 1000, for that matter?)

As for justicar wargear: you can only take items marked as wargear. No weapons or other items. Frag grenades are a must in CoD games. Strongly consider the combat engineers strategem since your troops will be mobile. A 5+ cover save while in the open can be life-saving, as well as the additional abilities to avoid booby traps.
    Last edited by number6; August 4th, 2006 at 23:09.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x3)

Latter tonight I will rework my list. We are playing 1500 point per game. The Stratagems I am thinking of taking are Master Snipers,Preliminary bombardment,and combat engineers.SO ar I have had some luck with preliminary bombardment. To date I have killed 1 CSM,3Guardians. Put a wound on a wraith lord and made a building in which a defiler was sitting in dangerous terrain.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x3)

Another list for the mission.

psycannon bolts,targeter

Troops
    IST 8 with 2 plasma guns 100pts.
    IST 8 with 1 gernade launcher 90 pts.

ELites
    Inquisitor power armour,psycannon,targeter 61pts.
    Vindicare Assassin 110 pts.

Fast Attack
    Justicar +6 with 2 psycannons, Justicar with psycannon bolts 260 pts
    Justicar +7,Justicar with psycannon bolts 235 pts
    Justicar+6,Justicar with psycannon bolts 210 pts.

Total 1445 pts.

I have no armour at this time. Will be getting that later. The IST with the gernade launcher is from the box set. I did not take the flamer because I have seen them in action. One might beable to use it once in a game and that is it, so I left it off.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

786 (x8)

Another list for the mission.
    And much improved, IMHO!

You're spending 40 pts on psycannon bolts, and, curiously, you have another 55 pts left unspent. Seriously, psycannon bolts are a waste of points. For the points you're spending on the psycannon bolts, you can get a psycannon on the GM and a 2nd special weapon for the GL IST squad. The psycannon, at BS 5, is going to be much more effective over just a couple of rounds than the scattered, weaker psy-bolted storm bolters. The most common daemons that Death Guard field are only invulnerable save 5+ anyway, and are easily trashed from any concentrated fire or in a quick round of CC. You'll want the higher rate of fire, the higher chance of hitting, and the higher STR from the psycannon on the GM.

In any case, if you take only one psycannon in your HQ, it should go on the GM! He's got a better BS.

And you must get a 2nd special weapon in your IST squad. That's about the only reason to take them! If all you have is the flamer, I'd take him rather than not. (But if you can get a 2nd GL IST, use him.) Remember, in this mission, you will be doing the assaulting. You have a decent chance of getting up to a ruin and getting a chance to flame. If your opponent is willing to assault his CSMs out of cover just to wipe out a cheap 8-man IST squad to avoid getting flamed, let him! You can afford to sacrifice your ISTs if it means your GKs can advance or counter-charge.

What will your Inquisitor be doing? Will he be traveling with any particular squad? Will he be setting up as a sniper somewhere alone? In either case, I wouldn't spring for the power armour on him. If he's assaulted, the power armour won't save him. If you enemy wants to waste a squad's worth of shooting to take him out, let him! You should have the guy in cover anyway, and can therefore benefit from a 4+ cover save at all times. Why spend 10 pts on power armor when that's another IST special weapon or an IST itself? A much better buy for the points.

I'd also drop the psycannon-toting GKs for two more vanilla GKs. Remember, you want numbers! Plus, as your GKs move -- and remember, they will have to move in this mission -- those psycannons won't have the same range as the storm bolters the rest of the squad has. Plus, you know your squad will have to get into assault. By taking the psycannon, you have sacrificed the STR 6 NFW and True Grit. Not a good trade off at all for marching troops!

So, drop those psycannons, and then use those spare, unspent points, and you've got 4 more GKs to give to your squads. If you're willing to stick with a single psycannon in your HQ, you can trade in those psycannon bolts and the inquisitor power armour for 2 more GKs! That'd be 2 more GKs for each of your three squads! Now we're talking....

You mention that you have no arour.... I don't think you'll really be needing it. Not for this mission. Six squads, plus a sniper Inquisitor, plus the sniper vindicare will be wonderful. Two of your strategems should be infiltrate -- for the vindicare -- and the sniper fire strategem.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x3)

Thanks nimber6 for the advice. The sad thing is I will be fighting the DeathGuard today. I wanted to play against the ork player. I emailed him on Wed and called him and left amessage on his phone on Sat. no luck on either. So the DeathGuard and I will be playing Urban Assault gamma lvl. Here is my new list for this game.

HQ
    BC with Grimoire of True Names,Sacred Incense,Destroy Daemon, and psycannon bolts
    + 3 Termies one with a psycannon 269pts.

Troops
    PAGK Justicar with psycannon bolts+6 210 pts.
    PAGK Justicat with psycannon bolts+7 235 pts.
    PAGK Justicat with psycannon bolts+6 with 2 psycannon 250 pts.

Elite
    GKT BC with psycannon bolts +4 witH incinerator 270 pts.

=][= with power armour, asupex and psycannon 62pts
    along with 1 Plasma Cannon servitor 45 pts.

Heavy Support
    GK Dreadnought with TLLC/ML, extra armour,blessed 155 pts.

Total 1496 pts.

The reason why I took psycannon bolts in the last list and this one is because I know that he fields 2 14 man Plaguebearer squads. The other reason why my Iquisitor has power armour is because of WYSIWYG. HE is an Inquisitor in Terminator armour. I call it Artificer and power armour and so far everyone is of with it. I look forward to your help.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast