2nd try, 1850 Tourney DIY - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2nd try, 1850 Tourney DIY

HQ:
    Reclusiarch – jump pack, frag grenades, bolt pistol – 107

Elites:
    6 Terminators – 2 Assault Cannons, Chainfist – 285

Troops:
    8 Tactical Marines – Infiltrate, 2 Plasma Guns - 169
    8 Tactical Marines – Infiltrate, 2 Plasma Guns – 169
    8 Tactical Marines – Infiltrate, 2 Meltaguns, Vet Serg – P.fist, Teleport Homer – 204
    6 Scouts – Heavy Bolter – 83

Fast Attack:
    8 Assault Marines – 2 Plasma Pistols, Vet Serg – P.fist, Teleport Homer – 221
    2 Land Speeder Tornadoes – Heavy Bolter, Assault Cannon – 160
    Land Speeder Tornado – Multi-Melta, Heavy Flamer – 75

Heavy Support:
    8 Devastators – Infiltrate, 4 Missile Launchers - 224
    6 Devastators – Infiltrate, 3 Heavy Bolters - 153

Total: 1850

Advantages:
    Cleanse and Purify
    See But Don’t Be Seen

Major Drawback:
    Flesh Over Steel

This is my second try with this list after having dropped my dreadnought (whose drop pod couldn’t be taken legally, dammit). So I’ve tried to replace it with something just as good, but given that I’ve restricted myself to infiltrators and deep strikers, such is the theme of the army, I couldn’t find anything better than the heavy bolter devastators.
    What do you all think? I’m mostly concerned with my anti-tank ability, or lack thereof, but overall I’m happy with it. Any comments or suggestions?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

in 1850, youre gonna want some anti-tank. missile launchers are great, but they cant do jack against heavy tanks such as preds or leman russ', you can only glance them, but not penetrate them. my question to you is what are you going to do if you run into an armor heavy ig army? my friend managed to fit 2 leman russ' into a 500 point game. you could always hope for the lucky rend w/ the tornadoes or getting close and personal with the melta gun, but those are gambles. if i were you, i would trade the assault squad for a 6 man lascannon tac squad and maybe the terminator chaplain to attach to the termie squad. i dont really like tele homers, but they're clean and efficient.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not too sure about dropping the assault squad as theyre my only squad that can move over 6" (speeders exempted) and my main assault unit. Trading that for what is effectively just one lascannon doesnt seem worth it.
    I've never thought of putting a chaplain in my termy squad, I might try that out next time, re-rolling powerfist attacks seems pretty awesome.
    But you are right in saying i could be fairly screwed against armour heavy armies. I'd be relying on the multi-melta and assault cannons quite a bit.
    Does anyone think that i desperately need more anti-tank, because, short of cutting my assault squad, i dont know where to add it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Missile launchers deal with light vehicles and infantry very well.

Maybe replace your heavy bolter devs with some lascannons?

Only time I would see you missing the heavy bolters is against a massive horde army (200+ orks, etc.) That, and if you run into 8 tau piranhas (like i have)
    <u>Army: W/L/T</u>

<span style='color:green'>Dark Angels</span>: <span style='color:red'>20/3/0</span>
    <span style='color:gray'>Daemonhunters: </span> <span style='color:red'>Under Construction</span>
    <span style='color:blue'>Minas Tirith</span> <span style='color:red'>1/0/0</span>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the reply, im trying to fit the lascannons in but even with just a 5-man squad im still 7 points short and not sure what to cut.
    However, even though all the guides have dismissed the multi-melta, since I'd be infiltrating, i was thinking the problems with range would be mitigated somewhat. That and meltas are cheaper than lascannons

so which squad do i add?
    6 devastator marines - infiltrate, 2 multi-meltas - 148 (so i could also add melta bombs to my chaplain or something)
    or
    5 devastator marines - infiltrate, 2 lascannons - 160 (and i have to cut 7 points from somewhere)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

let me give you some chaosy advice, as the traits youve taken emulate some very popular chaos choices. if you want those 8 man plasma squads to be golden then need a fist. or drop them to 6 man squads, you will be pleasantly suprised how often they will be looked over, and how much easier it is to bastardize cover with them. basicaly at 8 man with infiltrate youve paid too many points for a random pie plate of doom, av14 shutdown. those marines at 169 points are too expensive for what they do. if you give them a fist on the other hand (alot more points) you make them feared in close combat, not only a miled iratant, quickly consumed by a cc beast. its up to you really, i would suggest making one squad six man in favor of giving one squad a fist at least. at 8 men the marines should be able to take on all comers with their kit or they should be damn good at what they do, if you get another power fist in there make sure to give that squad 2 meltas, its priceless.

you could get away with dropping a terminator. a 5 man squad counts for vps after 3 death so they arent as tourney ressilent, but if they are not coming in till turn 2 or 3 youve got alot of threat moving quickly to draw fire from em.

i suggest not gettin infiltraters with multi melta, or the lascannons devs. youd do well by dropping that landspeeder with multi melta infavor of another assault cannon squad or going for another 8 man tac squad with two meltas. the heavy bolter devs might be a no go infavor of more infiltrating tacs...

alternatively if you do drop your assault squad, i strongly advise having at least two or three of the 8 man tac squads with meltas and fists, additionaly if the assault squad meets the axe i advise you make sure to take two more landspeeders.

just some suggestions from the side that has to face this kinda junk all the time!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks, that's some great advice, in light of which I've changed the list again.
    I'm not adding another dev squad, but I'm going against my better inclinations and am going with the classic 6 man las/plas instead of 8 man 2 plas squads. It's the only way I can see that I can get affordable long-range anti-tank firepower. To counter this I'm adding another melta squad as suggested. And finally I've used the leftovers to upgrade the reclusiarch to a Master of Sanctity. The only thing I think I'd change now is maybe switch the lascannons out for plasma guns to keep the theme, but otherwise I'm pretty happy..

HQ:
    Master of Sanctity – jump pack, melta bombs, frag grenades, bolt pistol – 127

Elites:

Troops:
    6 Tactical Marines – Infiltrate, Plasma Gun, Lascannon - 133
    6 Tactical Marines – Infiltrate, Plasma Gun, Lascannon – 133
    8 Tactical Marines – Infiltrate, 2 Meltaguns, Vet Serg – P.fist, Teleport Homer – 204

Fast Attack:

Heavy Support:

Total: 1849

Advantages:
    Cleanse and Purify
    See But Don’t Be Seen

Major Drawback:
    Flesh Over Steel

What does everyone think of the new list?
    Last edited by Ddevil; August 21st, 2006 at 01:16.

Ghost of LO ForgedInTheFurnaceOfWar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    185 (x8)

Master of Sanctity – jump pack, melta bombs, frag grenades, bolt pistol – 127
    Remove melta bombs, you want this guy in CC with infantry, not tanks, terminator honours would be nice, infact id take that over having +1 wound.
    Elites:
    Start these guys on the battle field. You can generally hit anything on the board turn 1 anyway.

This way, youll have more turns of sustained firepower.

Troops:
    6 Tactical Marines – Infiltrate, Plasma Gun, Lascannon - 133
    6 Tactical Marines – Infiltrate, Plasma Gun, Lascannon – 133

Seems like these guys would be funner with 2 plasma guns, this way you can keep the squad mobile, while really hunting out heavy infantry, youll lose a bit of anti tank, however 4 meltas up front will help with that.

Id take these as veterans. Then you can give them CCWs and bolt pistols. Let your troops above, termintors and speeder thin out small guys, while you assault/tank hunt with these guys.

Id remove these, weak choice, take another dev squad instead, youll almost have enough points by the end of my suggestions.

Remove the homer.

Remove the multi melta speeder, seperate the above squad into two squads.

Heavy Support:
    Awsome, id take two smaller squads.

6 Devs, 3 MLs, infiltrate

If you have any points left over, more guys in the assault squad would be nice.

Good army, its got good flow...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    128 (x3)

The 2x 8 man Tac Squads: these squads are out by 5pts. If you did take these guys with BP & CCW, they’d suffer badly in Alpha games. I’d probably lose 1x Homer too.

As Forged just said, get rid of the Meltabombs. Though I agree TH for the MoS would be great, I wouldn’t lose the Wound for it, I’d try and add it. Remember Wounds count towards outnumbering or being outnumbered.

Even with Deep Strike in play, I wouldn’t DS the Land Speeders. I think you’ll need the fire power from the start. Though I’m not keen on Melta Land Speeders, your list need the Anti-Tank capability, so I’d keep it. Forged’s suggestion about losing it, and making 2x6man Devs is good though. MLs with Tank Hunters would be even better, and would definitely sort your anti-tank out.

DS and Infiltrate are both very useful strategies, and I guess you like the idea of your opponent setting up first. But your list must be viable in Alpha games.

Good luck and good hunting.

Lord Ramon

Ghost of LO ForgedInTheFurnaceOfWar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    185 (x8)

Obviously he cant afford to play an alpha mission, hed almost surely lose it.

+ Reply to Thread