Welcome to Librarium Online!
Ok, so i've never played an M.E.Q army before, so here goes my first shot at creating a list.
Space Marine Bike
2x Plasma Gun
Space Marine Bike
2x Plasma Gun
1 Attack Bike
1 Veteran Sgnt
4 Space Marines
Final Total: 998
Model Count: 20
I realise that this list is probably really noobed/stupid, but I figured i'd post it anyway. What would you guys change on it?
1. I dont know if the assault squadron goes with the White Scars list. I would suggest a tactical squad or 2 with Rhino and the true Grit/counter Attack if you really would like to play White Scars. Or use dev squads with the same ability (if they can take it, I don't remember).
2. Most importanlty and I think everyone will agree here, you need to give someone, anyone, and most preferably your vet sargeants Power fists. Maybe not all of them but if they drop a wraithlord or some other Monster on the board how will you kill them in HtH if they charge? This is key I believe.
3. I don't know if I would go with the plasma guns on the bikes. Basically if you fail and lose a trooper you just lost over 40 points worth of guy. For a normal tac squad it would be 1/2 this cost so its cost effective to use plasma but in this army every unit really counts. Also, melta should be nearly as effective since you will be able to get in range very quickly so 12 inches is no big deal.
4. Is 2 plasma or 2 melta guns allowed in bike squads? I thought it was 1 but I don't have a book in front of me so.
5. Why take melta bombs with a squad with a multi melta and melta guns? This is a little bit over kill, If 3 shots worthy of melta don't blow up a tank then you aren't close enough to assault (since if you are close meltas go super nova and kill tanks dead). Also, if you drop the melta bombs I think you could take a power fist which would be almost as good in HtH with tanks (it doesn't get the extra dice to pen but your Vet Sarg does get 3 attacks which is all you would get with your melta bombs anyways) and the cost would be almost the same (you would have to pay for the vet sarg upgrade) but then the squad could deal some hurt in HtH if need be.
Last edited by LordMephiston; August 16th, 2006 at 16:08.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.
I wouldn't take the Plasma Guns on the bikes since Plasma Guns are Rapid Fire weapons, it doesn't allow you to fire and charge in the same turn. Instead I would recommend taking meltaguns and if you want some plasma, take a plasma pistol on your Sgt.
Also, I'd take out the Captian on the bike and fill out the Assault squad to 10 men. If you have the points left over after that, bump up the chaplain to a Master of Sanctity.
I think this army is very very possible. First of all i say drop the Chaplain. Why you ask? Well the whole goodness of the chaplain is in his reroll to hit ability..and with a squad 4 bikers that chaplain will not be getting to confer his ability as much.. if u must have him put him with the assault squad. Without him you could beef up your assault squad to 10 guys. As everyone else has said switch the plasma for melta guns. I also agree with the bit on the powerfist. Same with the melta bombs. You should upgrade your Captain to a Master and drop the bionics. Mabye add an iron halo on your Captain for when he gets targetted in assault. The reason for the master upgrade is your going to need the leadership because you will be taking a lot of checks. If you can find the points mabye include a single landspeeder tornado to take the heat of your bikes. If their firing at the land speeder their NOT firing at your bikes. This list has a lot of potential.. good luck!
Last edited by HavenDan; August 22nd, 2006 at 06:33.
“Krump first, assk qweztions neva'!"- 3000 Orks
Dark Eldar- 1500 1/0/0
"the very gods for vengeance cry”- 3000 Dwarves
2 HQ's in a 1000 point list is a bit overkill.
With my extensive use of bikes in every army I've played sums up that every Sergeant needs Terminator Honors and a Powerfist. Since you want to get into combat, you need as much killing power as possible.
Plasma guns on bikes are a bad idea. You can lose lots of points quickly. I'd make one have flamers and the other melta guns.
Assault squads are fluffy for White Scars, but you need more of them.
If you want White Scars fluff, go with as many bikes as possible and then I would throw in LST's and Assault Marines if you have points.
I'm not entirely sure this is true, the quote from the bikes section of the rulebook is as such:Originally Posted by Spector
"If rapid fire weapons are mounted on a bike, then they are allowed to fire once up to maximum range even if the bike moved. In addition, rapid fire weapons and heavy weapons may be fired if the unit moves and the bike is still allow to charge into close combat in the same turn."
To me, that sounds as if the rapid fire weapon has to be physically mounted on the bike to receive the 1 shot at max range benefit while moving. Since they make no reference to being mounted on the bike in the second sentence at all, it sounds like a bike unit can still charge regardless of what weapons were fired that turn.
I'm just telling you what the GW guys told me.Originally Posted by Meridai
Out of curiosity since I'm not quite done building my Ravenwing and have a couple bikers that can either carry plasma guns or not left to assemble/paint, I called the rulesboys and they say rules as written, space marine plasma gunners can charge after firing. Seems GW is contradicting themselves on this one.
Yea I'm going up tonight for combat patrols, I'll ask them again tonight.