[1500 pts] Heavy Urban Assault (Cities of Death) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

786 (x8)

[1500 pts] Heavy Urban Assault (Cities of Death)

This is a list I developed to combat a heavily mechanized Death Guard player I've been facing every week or two this summer for the Medusa V campaign, all games Cities of Death variants. He's been bringing a defiler, dreadnought, predator tank (sponson lascannons, turret autocannon), and a pair of rhinos on top of three squads of plague marines with plasma guns, two squads of plague bearers, and a chaos lord. It's an incredibly tough and versatile army that I lost to easily early on, and it wasn't really until this month that I finally started challenging games to the very end and winning.

I've learned to really love the Seraphim for CoD games. I initially use them to hunt down a tank or walker, and whatever is left standing assaults either another armoured target or infantry units until they die. (They've never survived an entire game yet.) Although equipping for both tank-hunting (the squad melta bombs) and close assaults (hand flamers, vet superior upgrade with power weapon) is not something I would normally do, against this particular opponent it's been invaluable. Pricey as they are, they attract so much attention -- yet still always manage to eliminate something before dying -- that my other units have a turn or two to maneuver, survive, and kill.

I've been switching back and forth between the list you see and dropping one Seraphim and upgrading the AC/DCCW dread to TLLC/ML like the other one, but it doesn't appear to affect my fortunes too much one way or another. I have learned that I definitely need at least one TLLC/ML, though.

Enough blab. The list:

HQ
    [245 pts] Brother-Captain, 4 Terminator retinue (3x NFW/SB, 1x TH/SS)

Elite
    [121 pts] Inquisitor w/psycannon, plasma cannon servitor, 2x sage, mystic
    [95 pts] Eversor Assassin

Troops
    [251 pts] 8 Grey Knights, Justicar w/frag grenades
    [251 pts] 8 Grey Knights, Justicar w/frag grenades

Fast Attack
    [268 pts] 9 Seraphim w/melta bombs, 2x hand flamers, veteran superior w/power weapon

Heavy Support
    [118 pts] Dreadnought, AC/DCCW, extra armor, smoke launchers
    [148 pts] Dreadnought, TLLC/ML, extra armor, smoke launchers

Total: 1497 points

Last edited by number6; August 22nd, 2006 at 22:32.
    ninjabackhand: point and click, again, really? even after i give you an military term "shock tactic" you still call it point and click.
    RIP Warhammer 40,000: 21 Sep 1998 - 24 May 2014

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks good.. the only suggestion I have (which is not even an improvement per se so much as an alternate option) is to try some death-culties for fun. If you drop the inquisitor's retinue and the eversor, you can replace them with 4 death cultists, which I love.

But like I said, not really an improvement. I just like the death-cultists and find them almost as good as an orbital strike for messing with people's heads in high-terrain environments.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I to run a SoB seraphim squad, and they are so so sweet indded.

My Dreads are set the same as yours as well.

Do you find what you have is eniugh AT to quell his Heavy Support?

I run a squad of Celestians with Immolator wiyh T/L Multi-meltas, and the squad has

Meltaguns, for an extra AT squad. I have found them more useful and capable than

Inq / shooty retinue.

Lovely list though!

cheers:yes:

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

786 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Grand Master Miguel Angel
    Do you find what you have is eniugh AT to quell his Heavy Support?
    It's tight. Very tight indeed. If I had just a few more points available, I'd take melta bombs on the Justicars, too. Even over frags for this opponent. I've been caught in CC by his defiler and dreadnought more than once, and since their AV is 13, I'm screwed when that happens.

What I think I need to do once in a while is use the eversor on some of his armor. :rolleyes: He's got melta bombs, after all.... I've been using him to eliminate a squad of marines and make it that much easier for my GKs to dominate assaults.

Either that, or drop the assassin and try to scrounge another 30 points from somewhere to get a 3rd dread. (Although, truth to be told, the first list I tried had 3 dreads and it made no difference whatsoever.)

Heavily armored opponents has always been my biggest problem. But I've been pretty happy with how this list performs against it. I've got the TH in the GKT HQ squad, the seraphim, and two dreads. Plus an assassin, shooty inquisitor, and 18 GKs to dominate in CC. And the GKTs and seraphim can do double duty.... Seems very versatile. I may end up making this my standard, all-comers 1500 pt list.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grand Master Miguel Angel
    I run a squad of Celestians with Immolator wiyh T/L Multi-meltas, and the squad has Meltaguns, for an extra AT squad. I have found them more useful and capable than Inq / shooty retinue.
    Nice. I've had similar thoughts, and one day I will purchase models for exactly this purpose. I've three times tried to use ISTs in this capacity and it has just been a waste of points against this guy. I'm not so hot on IST melta squads any more. In this list, the shooty inquisitor is to make it possible to field an assassin, take out his summoned daemons, and otherwise shoot at troops and the Rhinos. Shooting in CoD should not be overlooked, despite all the cover. I've been very happy with my inquisitorial squad in all games.
    Last edited by number6; August 23rd, 2006 at 17:03.
    ninjabackhand: point and click, again, really? even after i give you an military term "shock tactic" you still call it point and click.
    RIP Warhammer 40,000: 21 Sep 1998 - 24 May 2014

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    178 (x7)

Nice list Number6, I wouldn't change much myself.

Cheers, DH
    "A love for tradition has never weakened a nation, indeed it has strengthened nations in their hour of peril."
    Sir Winston Churchil

+ Reply to Thread