1000 SoB and GK [CoD] - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Shrubs for the Blood God Undead Bonzi's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    207 (x5)

1000 SoB and GK [CoD]

This is an army I'm putting together for Cities of Death fights. I know the list isnt exactly optimal but its put together with the models I have available. Comments, criticisms and advice are welcome, I typically play Puritain DH so I'm a tad rusty at WH. Also let me know if I've violated any of the ally force oganization rules, I'm pretty sure I've got it right but I always seem to overlook something when i do this.

HQ

Cannoness w/ Jump Pack, Eviserator, Plasma Pistol
    (She will join the Seraphim and this unit together will make up most of my anti-armor ability)

GK Brother Captain
    (Will walk right behind the PAGK's and use Independant Character to avoid fire)

TROOPS

7 GK
    Justicar
    (Will advance into fight with BC for backup)

9 Battle Sisters
    1 VSS w/ Bolter
    (Will be largely a stationary firebase, hopefully put into buildings and used to secure points)

9 Battle Sisters
    1 VSS w/ Bolter
    (Will be largely a stationary firebase, hopefully put into buildings and used to secure points)

FAST ATTACK

5 Dominions w/ 4 Flamers
    1 VSS w/ Bolt Pistol, CCW
    Immolator w/ TL Heavy Flamer, Dozer Blades, Smoke Laucher
    (Will be on the frontlines with the GK and Seraphim, my primary divine guidence unit)

4 Seraphim w/ 2 Flamers
    1 VVS w/ Eviscerator
    (Joined by Cannoness for tank hunting, also used to ambush and thin down enemy troop numbers to keep Dominions and GK form getting swamped in CC or by return fire)

Faith Points: 7

Well there it is, this army is probably going to be going up against 3+ save CC orienteted armies but I tried to keep it well rounded and versatile. As I said earlier all advice on the list and viable tactics i should consider for Cities of Death fighting is welcome, thanks guys.

The only honorable options left to we combatants is seppuku or semantics...which amount to the same thing really.
    -Undead Bonzi

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    110 (x4)

Why take the dominions for 4 flamers? Dominion costs extra points for special weapons..
    I am just curious, because some people does it and it beats me as to why. I understand a dominion can take 4 flamers, but a regular sister squad with 1 hvy flamer 1 flamer plus 1 brazier usually does the job and for 8 points less :tongue:

How do you get 7 faith points? I only count 6 :x
    Anima Tactics - try it out!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    103 (x8)

Why the GK BC? He serves no purpose in this list - a lone model in Terminator armor isn't going to have any real impact, and he isn't needed for any army requirements. I'd spend the points in bulking up that PAGK squad instead.

I would also consider Deepstriking those GK - footslogging them will usually get them into the fight too late.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

207 (x5)

I use the GK BC that way because I've had good luck with the tactic and I've had him singlehandedly turn the tide of battle. I use him as an HQ unit without retinue and walk him an inch behind my regular PAGK's, using independant character status to keep him from being targeted. Then, On the turn my GK's can charge I join him to the group and charge in. It is simply a way of delivering a powehouse unit to the front line of an assault without being scathed. Granted the tactic has been more sucessfull when i do it with a grand master but for reasons of point cost I took the BC instead of the GM.

I looked at this list after i posted it and I noticed quite a few problems with it, mainly that it was too diversified and unfocused for a 1000 point city fight. The improvements im thinking of are this:

1. Remove the BC for the 61 points
    2. Take out the Domies and Immolator entirely or switch the domies out for Sisters (realizing how much overkill the four flamers would be) and give them a Heavy and regular flamer.
    3.Taking out the VSS's in my stationary fire bases for my two Sister Squads and just having two squads of 10 regular sisters.
    4. Beefing out my existing Seraphim and adding a second squad of equal size. I would create a second HQ Cannoness of the same build + an inferno pistol and then give the VSS's a CCW and Plasma Pistol. (Dont know if Ill have the spare points for this)
    5. I've also been toying with the idea of a Hvy Bolter Retributor Squad to beef out my fire base and lay down some real pain.

I think those changes will give me a more mobile force (in the form of the seraphim, who can also back up the GK's and keep them from getting swamped) and still retain a good fire base of walking GK's with storm bolters and my fire base of sister squads.

Incidentally this is also the reason I dont want to deepstrike my GK's, I find that GK's can lay down a veritable hail of gunfire that will whitle down the enemy as I aproach, whereas I've found that trying to deepstrike them in typically means landing them in range of one or two unblooded rapid fire squads that utterly anhialate my GK's in one turn of focused fire. I've found that GK shooting is not to be discounted or set aside as I have outshot necrons as long as i stay outside of rapid fire and whitle them down before charging in and laying wasted to the survivors.
    The only honorable options left to we combatants is seppuku or semantics...which amount to the same thing really.
    -Undead Bonzi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x1)

Interesting ideas there. Remember though that dropping the VSS's will hit your faith supply. Also the basic Ld of the Sisters isn't all that great, they may well run off if things get tough for them. For these reasons I feel that Battle squads just have to have a VSS.

Don't give Sera VSS's a plasma pistol and ccw. They'll do better with a power weapon or Eviscerator to have some real punch in cc. Plas pistols are all very well, but they're pricey and may fry your precious leader. Inferno pistols on the Canonesses are a better buy. They're safe to use, even more deadly, and the short range is no disadvantage as you'll want to be that close to use hand flamers and be within charge range. I just wish you could give VSS's them. If ordinary Sera's can have two, why can't a VSS have just one?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

207 (x5)

Well, heres the updated and revised version...never seems like theres enough points to fit what I want...and more importantly what I need.

HQ

-Canoness w/ Jumpack, Eviscerator, Inferno Pistol

Troops

-11 Battle Sisters
    1 VSS w/Bolter

-11 Battle Sisters
    1 VSS w/Bolter

Fast Attack

-7 GK
    1 Justicar (Not so much for DSing unless conditions are really favorable, more just for taking advantage of order of placement on the board)

-5 Seraphim w/2 Inferno Pistols (Joined by Cannoness)
    1 VSS w/ Eviscerator

-5 Seraphim w/ 2 Hand Flamers
    1 VSS w/ Eviscerator (Or maybe cannoness should join these guys so both have low ap and antitank abilities)

I elected to give one of the seraphim squads inferno pistols and join them with an inferno pistol Cannoness due to the fact that I know that at the 1000 point CoD level I'm going to be facing Dreds and Killa Kans, niether of which do I feel like trying to take out in CC with my Seraphim squads since the CC weapon I have in the squads that can hurt them goes last in initiative. I have a feeling charging Evis weilding Seraphim at a Kan is just asking to lose half the squad before the can goes down.

I think however, with these inferno pistols now on my Seraphim and Cannoness I think I might try to switch out the Cannoness's Eviscerator with a Blessed Blade so that charging regular troops she can do some real damage in CC.

As always comments and criticisms, even flaming is welcomed, thanks guys.
    Last edited by Undead Bonzi; August 29th, 2006 at 06:14.
    -Undead Bonzi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x1)

Against Orks on foot flamers in the Battle squads actually work because their charge range is short enough that you can get to use them if you're prepared to move up and attack when they get close (Tyranids have such extravagant charge ranges that they zoom over from the other side of the board to attack you). Since double-tapping bolters also benefit from short range this tactic can work well. In CoD where cover saves are common flamers may be useful. On the other hand the Orks may be heading down the streets in the open to move faster. I'd try games with and without them to see how useful they are.

The Blessed Weapon is probably better than the Evisc if you're planning on Ork killing. Ork choppas are nasty against Sisters. I'd even be inclined to maybe leave off those expensive Eviscerators on the Seraphim VSS. If you don't plan to AT with them then cc against Orks in any number probably isn't a good idea. If you must go H-t-H then heavy use of faith is recommended. Ork slugga boyz carve up Sisters with alarming ease. Maybe one set of Seras with the Evisc to back up the Canoness when she jumps in to kill the warboss and his retinue. Use the inferno pistol squad so you can incinerate armoured Ork nobs before you charge. Stay out of cc with the rest of the army if at all possible.

Remember that Seras lose the ability to Hit & Run if they are accompanied by a Canoness.

+ Reply to Thread