Ultramarines 1500 pts friendly - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ultramarines 1500 pts friendly

HQ: 390 pts

Terminator Command Squad: 390 pts
    Epistolary Librarian -Terminator armour, Storm Bolter, Fear of Darkness
    Terminators (x5) -Assault Cannon, Heavy Flamer

Elite: 130 pts

Dreadnought: 130
    Dreadnought (x1) -Twin-linked Lascannons, extra armour

Troops: 409 pts

Tactical Squad:166 pts
    Marines (x10) -Flame Thrower, Missile Laucher

Tactical Squad with Rhino: 243 pts
    Marines (x10) -Missile Launcher, Plasma Gun
    Rhino (x1) -Smoke Launchers, Hunter Killer Missiles, Extra Armour

Fast Attack: 431 pts

Assault Squad: 241 pts
    Marines (x9) -Terminator Honours, power weapon, 2 plasma pistols, Krak grenades

Land Speeder: 95 pts
    Land Speeder (x1) -Multi-Melta, Assault Cannon

Heavy Support: 138 pts

Predator Annihilator: 138 pts
    Predator Annihilator (x1) -Sponson Heavy Bolters, Extra Armour, Smoke Launchers

The army actually totals up to 1498 pts.
    I just want some feed back on my Space Marine army. I'm new to the Warhammer 40K tabletop game. I want to know if this is an all around balanced army or if it's only effective against certain foes?

Last edited by dennisg1; September 1st, 2006 at 19:14.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    50 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by dennisg1
    HQ: 390 pts

Terminator Command Squad: 390 pts
    Epistolary Librarian -Terminator armour, Storm Bolter, Veil of Darkness
    Terminators (x5) -Assault Cannon, Heavy Flamer
    I'm not too hot on terminator command squads, but that's probably because I suffer from Terminator Envy being as how I took Aspire to Glory as my major drawback.

I've mentioned this before, but I think terminators are absolutley perfect at the 1,500 point level. In smaller games I think they're a little too much, and in bigger games your opponent is much more likely to have multiple squads that can deal with terminator armor. All in all, I think this squad will probably do some damage for you, however, I'd probably go with a second assault cannon instead of the heavy flamer. I have a sneaky feeling you would too if a second assault cannon came in the terminator box...

Elite: 130 pts

Dreadnought: 130
    Dreadnought (x1) -Twin-linked Lascannons, extra armour
    Dig it. Some folks will tell you you should go all out and spring for the missile launcher, but I kinda like having a S10 DCCW attack in case he gets rushed by an assault squad or something.

Troops: 409 pts

Tactical Squad:166 pts
    Marines (x10) -Flame Thrower, Missile Laucher

Tactical Squad with Rhino: 243 pts
    Marines (x10) -Missile Launcher, Plasma Gun
    Rhino (x1) -Smoke Launchers, Hunter Killer Missiles, Extra Armour
    I would suggest you consider losing the flamer in the tactical squad. It's hard to get a template weapon like a flamer in range if the unit only moves 6" per turn. Stick a plasmagun or a melta gun in the squad instead maybe.

The second unit I dig, but a HK missle is a little expensive for what it gets you, and rhinos in general are not popular around here. I think in this list it might work as you have several other units that will attract your opponent's big guns, so you might be able to get away with it. I'd drop off the cargo ASAP though- entanglement sucks.

Fast Attack: 431 pts

Assault Squad: 241 pts
    Marines (x9) -Terminator Honours, power weapon, 2 plasma pistols, Krak grenades
    Well made squad although assault squads lose some of their luster without a chaplain leading them. I'd also try to scrape up the points to give that sarge a powerfist, but it isn't the end of the world if you can't.

The wording is a little funky, but you can't use multi-meltas with assault cannons. The possible loadouts for a speeder are-

1) Heavy Bolter (standard speeder)
    2) Multimelta (standard speeder)
    3) Assault Cannon with Heavy Bolter (Land Speeder Tornado)
    4) Multimelta with Heavy Flamer (Land Speeder Tornado)
    5) Heavy Bolter with Typhoon Missle Launcher (Land Speeder Typhoon)

Personally, at this level of game, I'd suggest you go with HB and AC LSTs as you've got the Dread and it's lascannon and the pred anni for your anti-vehicle units. Plus, the LST's AC can ding most rear (and some side) armor without even without rolling a rend.

Heavy Support: 138 pts

Predator Annihilator: 138 pts
    Predator Annihilator (x1) -Sponson Heavy Bolters, Extra Armour, Smoke Launchers
    Dig it. Some will argue, but I think this is the most effective Pred configuration going.

The army actually totals up to 1498 pts.
    I just want some feed back on my Space Marine army. I'm new to the Warhammer 40K tabletop game. I want to know if this is an all around balanced army or if it's only effective against certain foes?
    I think it's a good start for sure. You worry me a little bit with so few troops, and that HQ is over a third of you points for this level, but if you can keep them alive, you ought to do well. Maybe think about a teleport homer for the assault squad to help the terminators come in?

Ought to be a good all-comers list if you depoly well and use cover. Come back and tell me how it worked out for you.

Good luck!
    Last edited by DEADMARSH; September 1st, 2006 at 08:05.
    We all carry on,
    When our brothers in arms are gone.
    So raise your glass high
    For tomorrow we die,
    And return from the ashes you call.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

um, what the heck is veil of darkness?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    39 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by bladeofdeath3
    um, what the heck is veil of darkness?
    isn't it a Necron Lord thing?! I think he means Veil of Time or maybe Fear of the Darkness.......?????

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry, I meant Fear of Darkness.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x2)

Deadmarsh pretty much hit it right on the head.

I agree with almost everything he said... I would just like to add a few points.

the problem your going to have with this list is a lack of long range firepower, and a lack of movement to get within range of the firepower you do have.

The Rhino helps, but they go down awfully quick. and if you speed your rhino forward, you will find your squad unsupported by anything except the Speeders, which are even more fragile then the Rhino (but I'm not suggesting you dont' use them...speeders are great.)

Also, I love dreadnought, but when they have to footslog it to the enemy, they rarely do much of anything before they get poped.

My suggestion, in addition to what Deadmarch said, would be to drop 1 terminator (so you have 5 with the librarian) and add a drop pod for both the Termies, and the Dreadnought. Or, you can add a Drop Pod for the Dread, and then give your Assult Vet Seargent a teleport homer and teleport the Termies in.

You can also cut 1 assult marine to gain some points for this...or to add the Power Fist to your sergent. even numbered squads really work a lot better.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    64 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by DEADMARSH
    I would suggest you consider losing the flamer in the tactical squad. It's hard to get a template weapon like a flamer in range if the unit only moves 6" per turn. Stick a plasmagun or a melta gun in the squad instead maybe.

Personally, at this level of game, I'd suggest you go with HB and AC LSTs as you've got the Dread and it's lascannon and the pred anni for your anti-vehicle units. Plus, the LST's AC can ding most rear (and some side) armor without even without rolling a rend.

I think it's a good start for sure. You worry me a little bit with so few troops, and that HQ is over a third of you points for this level, but if you can keep them alive, you ought to do well. Maybe think about a teleport homer for the assault squad to help the terminators come in?

Ought to be a good all-comers list if you depoly well and use cover. Come back and tell me how it worked out for you.

Good luck!
    This flamer would be a great addition to your assault squad, dropping one plasma pistol to do so. Warning! If you put TWO flamers in your assault squad, you may find that you kill TOO many enemies and then you are left in the open with no one to charge...

On the note of too few models, a dev squad with 4 missile launchers is a Great HS option. The thing is, one lucky shot will take out a tank, but a dev squad has a minimum of 5 wounds (Sgt and 4 marines) but I like to put 8 marines in them so they can take 4 wounds and still keep all 4 ML firing.

One last thing, I am loathe to put a heavy weapon in my tac squads, invariably if they are not assaulting, they are moving to assault so the heavy weapons turn out to be wasted points, but that is just my style of play. If you find it to be so, you can save a few points by not putting them in mobile squads.

One MORE last thing ! :wacko: Consider the drop pod and all it has to offer...

I play Ultramarines. I LOVE them, and I hope you will LOVE yours too!
    Once a Marine, always a Marine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I also agree with Deadmarsh:

- Nix the flamethrowers
    - Nix the Rhino, deathtraps for our sacred Marines
    - Clean up the Land Speeders
    - Swap the Librarian for a Chappy. For the points you can't really go wrong, and in a 1500pt list Libs can be a bit of a point sink.

I would also add that I've never had all that great a luck with 5 man teams like Termies. Usually I field 2 AC's with em, and I find that spending the points to get 7 or 8 provides a huge difference in their survivablility, both in responding to CC and in weathering ranged fire. Perhaps thats just me tho.

+ Reply to Thread